New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 3: Mystery Solved!

Well, Jones has no emotions, which probably means she also has none of our baser instincts - like the whole 'fight-or-flight' response business. And even if she did have the capacity for fear as far as she knows, nothing can hurt her.

2. - Top - End - #932
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    The one issue with that is Jones was not afraid of Coyote. At all. If she didn't fear his power, then it doesn't stand to reason that his tooth could harm her.
    To be specific (and circumvent some of the objections to the fear/emotion aspect of your phrasing), it wasn't just that she didn't fear his power. Her exact words to Coyote were "You know I can take her if I wish." Which would seem to indicate, at least, a belief on her part that Coyote would be incapable of stopping her once she decided on a course of action.

So I agree that she doesn't believe that he can harm her. However, Tavar is correct in noting that this belief may be based on ignorance. She only has her experience to draw from when concluding that there is nothing in existence that can damage her or which (aside from herself) cannot be damaged by her. If a new material were to surface that was sharper or more durable than anything she had tested previously, she would not be able to know for certain in advance that it would not be able to damage her or that she would be able to damage it. So I don't think we can draw a solid conclusion either way about whether the tooth is capable of harming her.
    Avatar by Tom Siddell, author and artist of Gunnerkrigg Court.

3. - Top - End - #933
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    To be specific (and circumvent some of the objections to the fear/emotion aspect of your phrasing), it wasn't just that she didn't fear his power. Her exact words to Coyote were "You know I can take her if I wish." Which would seem to indicate, at least, a belief on her part that Coyote would be incapable of stopping her once she decided on a course of action.

So I agree that she doesn't believe that he can harm her. However, Tavar is correct in noting that this belief may be based on ignorance. She only has her experience to draw from when concluding that there is nothing in existence that can damage her or which (aside from herself) cannot be damaged by her. If a new material were to surface that was sharper or more durable than anything she had tested previously, she would not be able to know for certain in advance that it would not be able to damage her or that she would be able to damage it. So I don't think we can draw a solid conclusion either way about whether the tooth is capable of harming her.
    The phrasing here is significant, though. It is not that she made an assertion that she can take Annie. It is that she said that Coyote knows that. And Coyote did not challenge the statement, which you would expect from an egotist of his caliber, especially when his powers are being questioned. Instead what he said can be seen as attempt to defuse the situation.

Also, "Are we getting into this again, wandering eye?" line indicates that this is not the first time that there was a conflict. So, while there is no way to tell for sure how far it went and if there was a physical confrontation, I am more inclined to believe that Jones has some evidence that she can't be damaged, or at least not damaged enough to lose the confrontation. She is not exactly a type of person that is given to bluffs and empty threats.

4. - Top - End - #934
    Troll in the Playground

Dammit Jones!

5. - Top - End - #935
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

JOOOOOOONNNEESS!

You freakin' Dino-tease.

6. - Top - End - #936
    Ettin in the Playground

YET ANOTHER MYSTERY! Tooooom, why do you never resolve anything?

7. - Top - End - #937
    Troll in the Playground

I like how Annie goes right to "Tell me about DINOSAURS!" almost with stars in her eyes. Not "Did you meet Jesus, or what has caused the near extinction of life on Earth several times, or where and when did you and Coyote meet", but right to the thunder lizards.

Dino-fangirl.

I wonder how Jones and the dinosaurs got along. Once they realized they couldn't eat her and she was no threat, they probably ignored her...

8. - Top - End - #938
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    what has caused the near extinction of life on Earth several times
    Jones: after a while I get bored with the scenery.

9. - Top - End - #939

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Somebloke View Post
    JOOOOOOONNNEESS!

You freakin' Dino-tease.
    Annie disingenuous face: 'let's say...'
    Annie eager face: 'tell me!'
    Annie disappoint face: 'No.'
    Annie WTF face: 'several glaring misconceptions'

10. - Top - End - #940

Jones. Are you teasing Antimony? You are! I didn't know you had it in you.

Would never have guessed that Annie had access to that many facial expressions back in the beginning, either.
    Play your character, not your alignment.

11. - Top - End - #941
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Huh, even Annie loves dinosrawrs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

12. - Top - End - #942
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Jones: No I won't tell you about dinosaurs, but I will tell you that you are wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

13. - Top - End - #943
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Jones: No I won't tell you about dinosaurs, but I will tell you that you are wrong.
    But I will encourage you to find out the truth rather than blindly accept what you are told...
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

14. - Top - End - #944
    Titan in the Playground

Unfortunately, unless we build a time machine that goes back in time, there is only so much we can learn from bones and skin and feather casts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

15. - Top - End - #945
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by fwiffo View Post
    The phrasing here is significant, though. It is not that she made an assertion that she can take Annie. It is that she said that Coyote knows that. And Coyote did not challenge the statement, which you would expect from an egotist of his caliber, especially when his powers are being questioned.
    I don't know, he doesn't strike me as that sort of egotist. He treats Ysengrin, who worships the ground he walks on, with nothing but contempt and Annie, who acts in ways that challenge his dominance ("Spankies!") and generally treats him like an equal rather than a superior being, mostly with respect. In fact, I recall one of Tom's comments under the strips along the lines of "Coyote likes that Annie isn't afraid to shrug him off". And then there's things like this, which shows that he isn't such an egotist that he's unwilling to debase himself for the purpose of getting what he wants.

Also, he is a trickster god. Misleading others about the extent of his power would certainly be in character.

Also, "Are we getting into this again, wandering eye?" line indicates that this is not the first time that there was a conflict. So, while there is no way to tell for sure how far it went and if there was a physical confrontation...
    Therefore, as I stated, we can't draw a solid conclusion about it. I do lean towards the idea that Coyote can't harm Jones, but the evidence, as it stands, is not conclusive.

...I am more inclined to believe that Jones has some evidence that she can't be damaged, or at least not damaged enough to lose the confrontation. She is not exactly a type of person that is given to bluffs and empty threats.
    She has never encountered anything that is capable of damaging her. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, sure, but I wouldn't exactly call it a bluff or empty threat to act on a belief in her own invulnerability that has been reinforced by eons of existence without any challenge to it.
    Avatar by Tom Siddell, author and artist of Gunnerkrigg Court.

16. - Top - End - #946
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Huh. Now I feel somewhat sad for Eglamore.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

17. - Top - End - #947

I've got to wonder exactly what Jones actually told Annie that translated to all those lovely pictures and links to information about wimples and whatnot.
    Play your character, not your alignment.

18. - Top - End - #948
    Troll in the Playground

"No capacity for emotional connection".

I'm sensing this might just be bull****, guys .

19. - Top - End - #949
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

wink Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 3: Mystery Solved!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    Unfortunately, unless we build a time machine that goes back in time, there is only so much we can learn from bones and skin and feather casts.
    Is that necessarily an end-game for the world of this comic?
    • Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    • The main problem with the world? So many grownups, not enough adults.
    • Talk less; say more.
    • George R.R. Martin, Kirkman, and Joss Whedon walked into a bar. There were no survivors.
    • Current Project: Fallout 4 "nerd" build (3/7/2/2/9/3/2, PER 9 after boosts)

20. - Top - End - #950
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    How strange, I have the same feeling!
    Truth resists simplicity.

21. - Top - End - #951
    Ettin in the Playground

Because I hope that shes not another Data I hope she only has curiosity as a feeling

22. - Top - End - #952
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    "No capacity for emotional connection".

I think you're just projecting onto her. I don't see anything that suggests she has any emotional connection with Eglamore. She wants to observe humanity, and sometimes that's easiest if she partners with a man for all his life. It gives her the opportunity to observe a human in all stages of life, plus it gives her a connection to human society without compromising her secrecy. The Court is a logical choice of allies: They already know about the supernatural, so her existence won't spoil too many mysteries for them, and they can help her deal with the paper trail that plagues immortals in modern society. If the Court, in return, wants her to be Eglamore's emotional partner for life, well, why would she object?
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

23. - Top - End - #953

Zombie

Ability of those weird humans to assign familiar emotions to any and all beings never ceases to amaze me. It's like they think that the universe revolves around them and if they have those "emotion" processes, then by golly, everyone has to have some. Phtooey, I say!

Besides, Jones is heck of a lot more entertaining without any. So there!

24. - Top - End - #954
    Ogre in the Playground

I have no idea what to think about Jones' emotions, so I'm not going to anymore, until more information comes to light. I have no idea which I think is more interesting, even.

25. - Top - End - #955
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah... this is a rather rough thing for Eaglemore. Especially if he knows it's all fake. :/

(I wonder what being with her is even like... you can't exactly have fun with her and laugh together. She's more a assistant type, than a partner.)
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

26. - Top - End - #956
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Domochevsky View Post
    I wonder what being with her is even like... you can't exactly have fun with her and laugh together. She's more a assistant type, than a partner.
    Weird mommy issues type thing?

27. - Top - End - #957
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cavelcade View Post
    I have no idea what to think about Jones' emotions, so I'm not going to anymore, until more information comes to light. I have no idea which I think is more interesting, even.
    This is my stance as well.

I will say, though, that if she is truly emotionless, then her logical and decision-making faculties must be completely alien as well (since emotionless humans are unable to make decisions, as discussed previously).
    I don't know if that makes her more interesting, or too alien to relate to in any meaningful way. Time will tell.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

28. - Top - End - #958
    Ettin in the Playground

Im in the mood of something alien. Not everybody should be relatable.

29. - Top - End - #959
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    I think you're just projecting onto her. I don't see anything that suggests she has any emotional connection with Eglamore. She wants to observe humanity, and sometimes that's easiest if she partners with a man for all his life. It gives her the opportunity to observe a human in all stages of life, plus it gives her a connection to human society without compromising her secrecy. The Court is a logical choice of allies: They already know about the supernatural, so her existence won't spoil too many mysteries for them, and they can help her deal with the paper trail that plagues immortals in modern society. If the Court, in return, wants her to be Eglamore's emotional partner for life, well, why would she object?
    And the photo album? It's a rather sentimental thing to keep around when one has perfect memory.
    Truth resists simplicity.

30. - Top - End - #960

Quote Originally Posted by SlyGuyMcFly View Post
    And the photo album? It's a rather sentimental thing to keep around when one has perfect memory.
    It might just be another thing she picked up from humans to fit in better with them.