New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 3: Mystery Solved!

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    Its kind of disappointing. It kind of ruins the:

Instinct VS Thought
    Man VS Nature
    Known VS Unknown.

thing that I thought was going thematically.

So the only thing there is is Court VS Forest. Makes it a whole lot weaker.
    What are you talking about? The themes that have been going on are:

Knowledge through meditation and other ways to get knowledge of the self versus knowledge of the world and magic and nothing of yourself.

Controlled Versus Natural development (which is why the shadowmen are so unhappy - not only does their creator reject them, they aren't allowed into the section they belong - also a reason for Ysengrin's unhappiness.)

Known versus unknown - but that's both Court and Forest.

As far as I can tell, it's about finding a balance between those elements that will let you be happy, at its most simple - but the point is that it's not simple. To describe the themes fully and give them their due would need an essay.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cavelcade View Post
    Knowledge through meditation and other ways to get knowledge of the self versus knowledge of the world and magic and nothing of yourself.
    Eh. I haven't been feeling it. Its a theme, but not a VS. Its finding both out at the same time.

Controlled Versus Natural development (which is why the shadowmen are so unhappy - not only does their creator reject them, they aren't allowed into the section they belong - also a reason for Ysengrin's unhappiness.)
    What does that even mean? I haven't seen much natural development coming from the nature side anyway. I don't consider "Twisting nature with magic" different then "Twisting nature with science"

Known versus unknown - but that's both Court and Forest.
    Then its not a theme. Its not VS. Its just "We have mysteries".
    Last edited by Scowling Dragon; 2012-09-08 at 03:34 PM.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ogre in the Playground

Eh. I haven't been feeling it. Its a theme, but not a VS. Its finding both out at the same time.
    Actually it's not - Kat is finding out through experimentation while Annie is going through a naturalistic, introspective development. Hence why Annie just does things (like building robot) while Kat develops ideas and schematics. Only through outside forces are they brought together - forces like Zimmy.

What does that even mean? I haven't seen much natural development coming from the nature side anyway. I don't consider "Twisting nature with magic" different then "Twisting nature with science"
    But that was my point - things which are twisted, in either setting really, end up unhappy and out of place. Ysengrin and the shadowmen, or ghostie in the valley and some others.

The robots, while 'unnatural' by definition are actually really happy in the court. So is the shadow! They are out of place in nature. Reynardine is happy in neither setting because of what he's tried to do. Similarly, the birds could never be happy there.

Then its not a theme. Its not VS. Its just "We have mysteries".
    It's a theme, it's not just confined to either side or made particularly overt. There's a difference between "we have mysteries" and "look at the effect having mysteries has on us".

The first post wasn't very well articulated. Sorry.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ettin in the Playground

Actually it's not - Kat is finding out through experimentation while Annie is going through a naturalistic, introspective development. Hence why Annie just does things (like building robot) while Kat develops ideas and schematics. Only through outside forces are they brought together - forces like Zimmy.
    I don't get what your talking about.

But that was my point - things which are twisted, in either setting really, end up unhappy and out of place. Ysengrin and the shadowmen, or ghostie in the valley and some others.
    Well not really. People in the court seem to be fine. Even though they are all twisting nature. And the elf people are twisting nature to create housing/ clothing for themselfes (I assume they have housing/ clothing because how else would Annie live?). The nature as a whole is already pretty twisted and unnatural.

Maybe a better word for this is: Finding the right place for you. THAT I will agree with you being a theme.

It's a theme, it's not just confined to either side or made particularly overt.
    I don't consider that a theme. Yes technically it suits the definition, but I usually don't count themes which are just whats happening.

Technicaly "Shooting things" is a theme in movies. But thats not the type of theme Im talking about.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Titan in the Playground

Personally, I think 'natural' is a rather overrated concept.
    The Forest is hardly natural anyway. Take Ysingrin's armour/body.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

6. - Top - End - #366
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    What's unnatural about a wolf-tree?
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

7. - Top - End - #367
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    What's unnatural about a wolf-tree?
    It's got the words "Wolf" and "Tree" in it! Both those things are natural!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

8. - Top - End - #368
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    It's got the words "Wolf" and "Tree" in it! Both those things are natural!
    By that logic, robots are natural, as both people named Rob and ocelots are natural.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #369
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    By that logic, robots are natural, as both people named Rob and ocelots are natural.
    Don't be silly.

People named Robert don't really exist.
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    I don't think its overrated. Just overdone and almost always poorly executed.

Thats my point.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

So the only thing there is is Court VS Forest. Makes it a whole lot weaker.
    It's supposed to be shades of grey... I think.

So far it's been kind of dark grey and unknown but presumably also dark grey.

I'd swear it's a knife's edge from just being black and black morality with Annie and Kat in the middle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ettin in the Playground

Im talking thematically. Im not talking morality. Im talking themes.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Im talking thematically. Im not talking morality. Im talking themes.
    The themes are pretty grey as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

14. - Top - End - #374
    Ettin in the Playground

Thats not how thematics work.

You dont say "Transformers 2 had themes of postmodern philosophy. It was just pretty grey".

Either you have an ongoing theme thats strong, or you dont.

Also on new comic:

PLEASE make it that his mind is gone.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm pretty sure he was just saying that the themes can't be summarised as simply as "Nature versus Man", etc. They are more complex than such simplifications would allow for - if that's what you're looking for, go read a different comic, because it's not this one.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Troll in the Playground

Annie took that much better than I thought she would. Eglamore seems pretty rattled; I think he cares for her more than he realizes. And hopefully Jones can throw some light on what's going on here and just how bad Ysengrin is, and why...

17. - Top - End - #377
    Bugbear in the Playground

Also on new comic:

PLEASE make it that his mind is gone.
    Eh, Ysengrin was clearly able to hold a conversation and think about stuff. He's emotionally unstable, has psychotic episodes, and isn't very likable, but he still has a mind - it's not gone so much as damaged.
    Saga of Soul: Not your Typical Magical Girl Story.
    Where I Watch: My Little Pony

Avatar by Lord Iames Osari, Grand Admiral Thrawn by Timothy Zahn. Thanks to both!

18. - Top - End - #378
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm pretty sure he was just saying that the themes can't be summarised as simply as "Nature versus Man", etc. They are more complex than such simplifications would allow for - if that's what you're looking for, go read a different comic, because it's not this one.
    Well outside of sounding a bit patronizing (Go read your simple comics, you simpleton: was a vibe I got) just because the themes are more complicated doesn't make them better.
    To many themes or layers can weaken a theme, make its impact less powerful, or make it less interesting.

Same reason that sometimes a simple villain is better then a totally morally gray story (I don't think this comic needs one).

Currently I find the comic lacking a solid theme to go on that serves as a good backbone. Everything else isn't as much a theme as much as events that happen more then once.

And why must I always throw praise at the comic? Why do i have to LEAVE the thread if Im giving decent criticism? Im not just writing "This sux0rsz LOL".

19. - Top - End - #379
    Halfling in the Playground

And why must I always throw praise at the comic? Why do i have to LEAVE the thread if Im giving decent criticism? Im not just writing "This sux0rsz LOL".
    I think it's mostly because you're not criticizing the comic for what it is but what it isn't. As in you're upset that the themes that you want to see aren't there and that the comic isn't focusing on what you want it to be.

You want the split between the court and forest to be thematic and about nature and humanity (and show nature as being dangerous and inferior) but instead it's mostly political with 'natural things' like the dryad on the courts side and 'unnatural things' like the elfen village on the forests side. (The only real thematic split is between those who want to explain how things work and those who just accept that they do.)

It does feel like you have a comic that you want to be reading and gunnerkrigg isn't it.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cestrian View Post
    I think it's mostly because you're not criticizing the comic for what it is but what it isn't. As in you're upset that the themes that you want to see aren't there and that the comic isn't focusing on what you want it to be.
    No I mean't that I don't see any themes (Themes are not the same thing as stuff that tends to happen allot) period. Where I think the comic wanted me to see them.

And whatever. Lets drop this theme discussion.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Barbarian in the Playground

I took the theme to be order vs.liberty. Containing and controlling the supernatural vs. allowing it to be unbound and wild.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ettin in the Playground

Again thats not as much a theme as a thing that happens.

One liners in action movies are a theme. But are not really thematic.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Ogre in the Playground

Again thats not as much a theme as a thing that happens.

One liners in action movies are a theme. But are not really thematic.
    A theme is a unifying idea or concept or subject tying a work together. One-liners in an action movie don't qualify, while "order vs. liberty" does. Though it would be interesting to see a work build around one-liners. I suspect it would be very genre savvy.
    Themes are usually intangible and implicit, exploring abstract ideas and questions. They're transitive, meaning a theme could be explored in a lot of different works ("Court vs. Forest" is context-dependent and doesn't qualify as a theme).

I definitely agree that the best themes aren't the complicated ones (you should be able to summarize a theme in one sentence or, better, a few words), but the best works have a simple theme with a complicated, nuanced exploration of said theme.
    I personally think you can have several themes in a work, but it takes a talented writer to pull it off.

"Humanity's need for explanation" or "political intrigue" (that you mentioned earlier) could be themes of GC as well. I don't personally think they're the most important ones, but you could make your case for them. "Growing up" could be another.
    It is a bit hard to pinpoint the specific theme of GC, on that I agree. But I also think it's a strength of the comic - if Siddell keeps living up to my expectations. I love seeing different perspectives and themes and occurences intersect. But that's probably just a question of taste
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Mouse View Post
    A theme is a unifying idea or concept or subject tying a work together. One-liners in an action movie don't qualify, while "order vs. liberty" does. Though it would be interesting to see a work build around one-liners. I suspect it would be very genre savvy.
    No I din't mean that wasn't a theme. I meant that we didn't see any of that in the comic. Its just a thing that happens in the comic, that carries no underlining ideas.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Barbarian in the Playground

If I were to give you a theme about this comic I'd straight up tell you its about Annie's dual natures. How she is part of both the Forest and the Court, and how she fits in with neither. I'd tell you about her cold dememor (the court) mixed with her fiery passion (the Forest). I'd tell you she is both capricious (The Forest) and calculating (nature), and I'd tell you that this nature is represented throughout the comic in areas other than Annie's character. I'm of the conclusion that the Forest's and Court's seperation is unnatural and that without each other they are incomplete. Its why Annie needs both Renard and Kat. Its why Shadow and Robot, both whom where rejected by their homes are completed together. Its why boys turn into birds, and pixies turn into girls. The division between the court and the forest has left the world unbalanced, and everything is trying to fill the void left between them.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Ettin in the Playground

Thats just human emotion. Ive met 50 people just today that are both Calculating, yet can be capricious.

This does have potential to be expanded apon as she is fire elemental, but I don't believe its been explored enough to my liking.

You pointing out the possibility of the court and nature needing each other is interesting. Very interesting indeed. It actually feels like an actual theme....

Huh. I think your right.

Bravo mate. Bravo. I think you might have found the main theme. That both sides need each other.

Major clapping from me.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Not just Annie's Duel Natures, everywhere we have Duality. Remember Kat and Annie's friendship. Kat is gifted with Science and reason, especially with Machines. She is best friends with Annie, the girl obsessed with mythology who practices Magic.

You have Parley and Smitty. Parley the hotheaded Rebel, Smitty with the power to make chance itself conform to reason, and together they achieve great things.

Kat and the Pigeon. Kat, the Angel of Robotics, was knocked out of her stupor by something as humble as a pigeon.
    [/Center]

28. - Top - End - #388
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Not just Annie's Duel Natures, everywhere we have Duality. Remember Kat and Annie's friendship. Kat is gifted with Science and reason, especially with Machines. She is best friends with Annie, the girl obsessed with mythology who practices Magic.

You have Parley and Smitty. Parley the hotheaded Rebel, Smitty with the power to make chance itself conform to reason, and together they achieve great things.

Kat and the Pigeon. Kat, the Angel of Robotics, was knocked out of her stupor by something as humble as a pigeon.
    [/Center]

29. - Top - End - #389
    Dwarf in the Playground

Poor, poor, Ysengrin.

Not all of Coyote's schemes are funny.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Ettin in the Playground

And hooray for that!