Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast
Results 601 to 630 of 1493
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Yuki Akuma's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The Land of Angles
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 3: Mystery Solved!

    Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    She was stabbed with a spear. When the spearhead was withdrawn, her clothing was torn but she was unharmed.
    The spear only ripped her clothes. She wasn't hurt.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

    Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."
    Dreamer Pony is by Akrim.elf.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Baiyan, God of Joy, by GryffonDurime, while the C.U.T.E Scardycat and Dreamer are by Tomb Raven.


    I'm very slowly working on a Legend of Zelda-themed homebrew for D&D 5e. God help me.

  2. - Top - End - #602
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gez's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location

    Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 3: Mystery Solved!

    Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Yeah, I wouldn't tend to see a "THUD" for stabbing.

    Also, Tom's aftercomic commentary is awesome.

    Learn about filing factories!

    Okay, relevant, and tells us what that place was.

    Learn about Jamestown!

    Okay, well, non-Americans probably didn't learn all about that in school, and therefore the context is good.

    Learn about wimples!

    ...
    Given that people in this thread and others thought that habit made her a nun or a Muslim, I think learning about wimples is a good idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

  3. - Top - End - #603
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mono Vertigo's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 3: Mystery Solved!

    I'm not sure to remember the finer bits, but here's what we do know about Jones:
    - she's not a very expressive or extroverted person (okay, that's an euphemism). Either she's truly emotionless, either she hides it all, either she's merely put them aside to deal with living longer than everyone else.
    - she's got amazing physical skills. We can't exactly conclude yet they are in themselves 100% inhuman, though the possibility seems likely.
    - she doesn't die or age.
    - Coyote knows her so well she has her own nickname, "Wandering Eye".

    With all these elements, we're certain she is at the very least touched by the supernatural (and not a robot!). She could be Galatea, or a similar sort of golem. She could be a human who made a deal with Coyote (though we still have to know which parts are the blessing, which parts are the drawback, and which parts are unrelated to Coyote). She could have been brought to existence the same way Coyote claims he was, however, I don't see which fictional archetype she could be.
    And then, there's the 4th option: she could be something else entirely. Which is something we can't rule out.

    Side note: the peasant in the 2nd panel looks like he stepped out from Zimmy's mind (well, the other two too, but him especially). Probably just an artistic choice, given his face in the 6th, but I still wonder if it's only a coincidence.
    The poster previously known as Musashi.
    Quote Originally Posted by on Dwarf Fortress succession games
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarf Fortress 0.40.01 bugs
    - If an adventurer shouts and nobody is around to hear it, the game crashes
    - War Dogs appear to run from themselves in terror
    - New tree generation frequently causes birds to explode

  4. - Top - End - #604
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Rockphed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Near Giant Graffiti.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 3: Mystery Solved!

    Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    I'm not sure to remember the finer bits, but here's what we do know about Jones:
    - she's not a very expressive or extroverted person (okay, that's an euphemism). Either she's truly emotionless, either she hides it all, either she's merely put them aside to deal with living longer than everyone else.
    - she's got amazing physical skills. We can't exactly conclude yet they are in themselves 100% inhuman, though the possibility seems likely.
    - she doesn't die or age.
    - Coyote knows her so well she has her own nickname, "Wandering Eye".

    With all these elements, we're certain she is at the very least touched by the supernatural (and not a robot!). She could be Galatea, or a similar sort of golem. She could be a human who made a deal with Coyote (though we still have to know which parts are the blessing, which parts are the drawback, and which parts are unrelated to Coyote). She could have been brought to existence the same way Coyote claims he was, however, I don't see which fictional archetype she could be.
    And then, there's the 4th option: she could be something else entirely. Which is something we can't rule out.

    Side note: the peasant in the 2nd panel looks like he stepped out from Zimmy's mind (well, the other two too, but him especially). Probably just an artistic choice, given his face in the 6th, but I still wonder if it's only a coincidence.
    She is also very, very heavy.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

    Now offering unsolicited advice.

  5. - Top - End - #605
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Qwertystop's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 3: Mystery Solved!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    She is also very, very heavy.
    Not necessarily. We know she's heavy enough to break a bridge that Annie can walk over, but Annie's how old? High school? Middle school? She's definitely much shorter than any teacher I can think of off the top of my head.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew
    Avatar by Ceika.
    Spoiler: Pokemon
    Show
    Friend Code: 1805-2284-9978
    Friend Safari: Mightyena, Crawdaunt, Absol
    I have Aerodactyl, Chansey, Drilbur, Eevee, Elekid, Frillish, Heracross, Honedge, Horsea, Kabuto, Larvesta, Magnemite, Mareep, Phantump, Porygon, Roselia, Rotom, Shellder, Shuppet, Squirtle, Starly, Tynamo, Venipede, Whismur.

  6. - Top - End - #606
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Marnath's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Argonth
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 3: Mystery Solved!

    Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Not necessarily. We know she's heavy enough to break a bridge that Annie can walk over, but Annie's how old? High school? Middle school? She's definitely much shorter than any teacher I can think of off the top of my head.
    Actually, she never even tried the bridge. She jumped off beside it. See here.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

    Avatar by Hacktor

  7. - Top - End - #607
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Scowling Dragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 3: Mystery Solved!

    I doubt she is as strong as limestone. Limestone isn't strong enough to break concrete without smashing itself.

    That always bugs me about stone creatures is that they are never brittle.

  8. - Top - End - #608
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 3: Mystery Solved!

    Well of course not. Stone creatures exist only in stories. Since people most attribute stone to being most stone creatures are strong. If you want your construct or creature to be brittle, you make it out of something else.

  9. - Top - End - #609
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2012

    Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 3: Mystery Solved!

    Jones...Jones you appear to be on fire.

    I know you don't react to things very much, but your on fire Jones.

  10. - Top - End - #610
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Dancin' away
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 3: Mystery Solved!

    Well.

    That's interesting?
    You can shout it from the roof-tops, you'll be preaching to the choir.
    And you better get started on this funeral pyre, and one day I will truly set myself on fire so you can see how dim my light is.
    So you can see how dim is my life

  11. - Top - End - #611
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Somewhere...

    Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 3: Mystery Solved!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhapsh View Post
    Jones...Jones you appear to be on fire.

    I know you don't react to things very much, but your on fire Jones.
    You'd think she'd be interested in at least protecting her clothes... After all, we've never seen Jones UNclothed. Can't say if that's due to modesty or just attempting to fit in to society. Or if she's not anatomically correct and is hiding that.

  12. - Top - End - #612
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Shadowbane's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Calael Kari
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 3: Mystery Solved!

    This is probably my favorite panel in this little set so far.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am a...

    Neutral Good Human Cleric (2nd level)

    Ability Scores:
    Strength- 14
    Dexterity- 11
    Constitution- 12
    Intelligence- 17
    Wisdom- 19
    Charisma- 17



    Jarlaxle and Auradin avatars by Teutonic Knight


  13. - Top - End - #613
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Coidzor's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ruined Racetrack
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 3: Mystery Solved!

    Hmm, not the Library of Alexandria and none of the Great Fires of Rome, as those were not really millennia ago. More like a millennium and some change.

    Did Ancient Egypt or Greece have any great fires or have we finally departed from what is historically plausible?

    Musashi: I was more reminded of the Shadows from Deadly Premonition, but I do concur that it was a bit interestingly odd.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2012-10-24 at 10:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

  14. - Top - End - #614
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BRC's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    On Paper
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 3: Mystery Solved!

    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Hmm, not the Library of Alexandria and none of the Great Fires of Rome, as those were not really millennia ago. More like a millennium and some change.

    Did Ancient Egypt or Greece have any great fires or have we finally departed from what is historically plausible?

    Musashi: I was more reminded of the Shadows from Deadly Premonition, but I do concur that it was a bit interestingly odd.
    Word of Tom certainly implies it's the Great Fire of Rome, which Wiki puts at AD 64, so we're about 52 years short of "Millenia Ago", but with the timescales we're talking about that is nothing. I'm willing to let him round.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler

  15. - Top - End - #615
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NEO|Phyte's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Eberron
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 3: Mystery Solved!

    Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    I'm willing to let him round.
    You let him start now, and before you know it he'll be rounding pi to 3.
    Join IRC!
    Syrupdwellings
    I make avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.
    Avatar by me.

    ٩๏̯͡๏)۶

  16. - Top - End - #616
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Rockphed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Near Giant Graffiti.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 3: Mystery Solved!

    Quote Originally Posted by NEO|Phyte View Post
    You let him start now, and before you know it he'll be rounding pi to 3.
    And then we will have to add "rounding pit to 3" to his crimes.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

    Now offering unsolicited advice.

  17. - Top - End - #617
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mono Vertigo's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 3: Mystery Solved!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    She is also very, very heavy.
    Oh, yeah.
    ... perhaps.
    We just know it's a touchy subject. For all we know, she's got a normal weight/height ratio for a human, but feels enough emotions to be self-conscious about it. Sure, it would make more sense that she is actually as heavy as stone, but this is Tom's story we're talking about. The easy explanation should never be assumed.
    The poster previously known as Musashi.
    Quote Originally Posted by on Dwarf Fortress succession games
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarf Fortress 0.40.01 bugs
    - If an adventurer shouts and nobody is around to hear it, the game crashes
    - War Dogs appear to run from themselves in terror
    - New tree generation frequently causes birds to explode

  18. - Top - End - #618
    Troll in the Playground
     
    SlyGuyMcFly's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The cyberpunk present
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 3: Mystery Solved!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    And then we will have to add "rounding pit to 3" to his crimes.
    Schlock Mercenary reference?

    Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Word of Tom certainly implies it's the Great Fire of Rome, which Wiki puts at AD 64, so we're about 52 years short of "Millenia Ago", but with the timescales we're talking about that is nothing. I'm willing to let him round.
    No we're not. Short, I mean. The Great Fire was 1.948 millennia ago.
    Last edited by SlyGuyMcFly; 2012-10-24 at 03:05 PM.
    Truth resists simplicity.

  19. - Top - End - #619
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Kirkwall
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 3: Mystery Solved!

    Well, at least she's not playing the violin.
    "Justice is a blade that draws blood from the innocent and wicked alike. And raised high, it can lead a charge that changes the world forever."

  20. - Top - End - #620
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Coidzor's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ruined Racetrack
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 3: Mystery Solved!

    Quote Originally Posted by SlyGuyMcFly View Post
    Schlock Mercenary reference?
    That or Pratchett.

    A circle man was not meant to see, even...
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

  21. - Top - End - #621
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Marnath's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Argonth
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 3: Mystery Solved!

    Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    Oh, yeah.
    ... perhaps.
    We just know it's a touchy subject. For all we know, she's got a normal weight/height ratio for a human, but feels enough emotions to be self-conscious about it. Sure, it would make more sense that she is actually as heavy as stone, but this is Tom's story we're talking about. The easy explanation should never be assumed.
    What about the page I linked a few posts ago? Humans don't generally go bloosh and sink straight to the bottom like that. Also, the time George teleported them to her room, you'll notice Jones sunk into the mattress up to almost her knees.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

    Avatar by Hacktor

  22. - Top - End - #622
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Cavelcade's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ireland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 3: Mystery Solved!

    Alternate explanation for 'millenia':


    Gunnerkrigg Court is set slightly in the future, hence explaining robots (to a degree).
    Last edited by Cavelcade; 2012-10-25 at 04:35 AM.

  23. - Top - End - #623
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Therinos
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 3: Mystery Solved!

    Quote Originally Posted by Cavelcade View Post
    Alternate explanation for 'millenia':


    Gunnerkrigg Court is set slightly in the future, hence explaining robots (to a degree).
    But those robots are basically golems, whose internal circuitry is also their OS. The reality-bending rocket that Mr. Donlan and Mr. Carver set up, however, is more than enough justification for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

    The Minds Of Almantha returns, now being remodeled for D&D 5e!

  24. - Top - End - #624
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    SnowballMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 3: Mystery Solved!

    Quote Originally Posted by Cavelcade View Post
    Alternate explanation for 'millenia':


    Gunnerkrigg Court is set slightly in the future, hence explaining robots (to a degree).
    Wasn't Kat shown playing a modern game the day of it's release? Also I believe there were contemporary bands mentioned at one point.
    Ban white text on white backgrounds!
    The award for Best Deconstructive Critique of the Futility of Art Analysis goes to SnowballMan!

  25. - Top - End - #625
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Coidzor's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ruined Racetrack
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 3: Mystery Solved!

    Quote Originally Posted by SnowballMan View Post
    Wasn't Kat shown playing a modern game the day of it's release? Also I believe there were contemporary bands mentioned at one point.
    Obviously not all parts of the Court are temporally coterminous with the present.-

    ...Actually, on second thought, I wouldn't put that past them, really...
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2012-10-25 at 03:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

  26. - Top - End - #626
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Cavelcade's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ireland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 3: Mystery Solved!

    People play Pacman and listen to Elvis. And they're right to do it!


    ...also what Coidzor said, even if he was using sarcasm blue.

  27. - Top - End - #627
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Kirkwall
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 3: Mystery Solved!

    Well, there goes my Galatea theory. She precedes the myth.
    Last edited by Candle Jack; 2012-10-26 at 02:13 AM.
    "Justice is a blade that draws blood from the innocent and wicked alike. And raised high, it can lead a charge that changes the world forever."

  28. - Top - End - #628
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Scowling Dragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 3: Mystery Solved!

    I told ya she couldn't be limestone!

  29. - Top - End - #629
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Cavelcade's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ireland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 3: Mystery Solved!

    Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    Well, there goes my Galatea theory. She precedes the myth.
    You're assuming she didn't generate the myth. The story could still be 'true', just set in the wrong time.


    I don't know what I think.

  30. - Top - End - #630
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Mauve Shirt's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pelican City
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 3: Mystery Solved!

    That's a few more than "several" millennia.
    bees

    Iron Avatarist is on hiatus. Feel free to admire my trophies, though.
    Spoiler
    Show

    I am not brave enough to say something outrageous and be serious. You'll be happier if you assume I'm joking.
    Playgrounders say the darndest things.
    Stealthy Kurienatar!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •