New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323348 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 3: Mystery Solved!

Quote Originally Posted by Domochevsky View Post
    Also of note: She looks like she always did, even when everyone back then had this protruded forehead and hunched over thing going on, hm?

Interesting indeed. The implications are quite staggering, in fact.
    Cro-Magnon Man was, basically, us. They didn't make just useful things, but decorated things, creating, and collecting, useless things. They unquestionably created art. Some of the the most famous cave paintings were their work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

2. - Top - End - #662
    Barbarian in the Playground

She could be lilith. The actual first wife of adam who denied to bend over cause god said so and got cursed. Her motherly side is because she can never have children of her own perhaps?

Or maybe she was the template all humans are designed from and is perfect with no genetic flaws/etc, instant regeneration, no aging/degeneration, immunity to disease, etc.

Or instead of a djinn of fire/water, maybe shes some kinda earth elemental? Would explain the weight and the inability to swim, and the ability to topless wrestle a giant buffalo thing.

Hm.. or Gaia. Mother earth's incarnation? I think that trumps coyote any day.

3. - Top - End - #663

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    Yeah, it's humans who embody Earth - Djinni are either Air or Fire depending on who you ask.
    Smoke from my readings.

4. - Top - End - #664
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jane_Smith View Post
    She could be lilith. The actual first wife of adam who denied to bend over cause god said so and got cursed. Her motherly side is because she can never have children of her own perhaps?

Or maybe she was the template all humans are designed from and is perfect with no genetic flaws/etc, instant regeneration, no aging/degeneration, immunity to disease, etc.

Or instead of a djinn of fire/water, maybe shes some kinda earth elemental? Would explain the weight and the inability to swim, and the ability to topless wrestle a giant buffalo thing.

Hm.. or Gaia. Mother earth's incarnation? I think that trumps coyote any day.
    I doubt she's Lilith. That one is much more recent than the others, she didn't come around until the 8th-10th century, at least according to wikipedia. She can't really be a Djinn or a goddess either since she has no etheric presence and such creatures, like Coyote, are nearly pure ether.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

5. - Top - End - #665
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    I doubt she's Lilith. That one is much more recent than the others, she didn't come around until the 8th-10th century, at least according to wikipedia.
    It's always possible that the beliefs of everyone who has read the Bible and all of its incarnations can retroactively rewrite reality to create Jones. Not probable, but possible.

If we go back any farther, being Eve/Lilith/whoever will become the only option.

My personal belief is that Jones is actually http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cybele. Earth Goddess, Mother Goddess, often assimilated into other cultures, it kind of fits.
    Last edited by Nyes the Dark; 2012-10-30 at 06:17 PM.
    Thanks to flumphy for the avatar

6. - Top - End - #666
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nyes the Dark View Post
    It's always possible that the beliefs of everyone who has read the Bible and all of its incarnations can retroactively rewrite reality to create Jones. Not probable, but possible.

If we go back any farther, being Eve/Lilith/whoever will become the only option.

My personal belief is that Jones is actually http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cybele. Earth Goddess, Mother Goddess, often assimilated into other cultures, it kind of fits.
    It can't be the only option, there's more than one creation myth out there you know. Someone on the GKC forums suggested that maybe we'll go back to the beginning of time and see her as Maiden, Mother and Crone.

7. - Top - End - #667

Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    It can't be the only option, there's more than one creation myth out there you know. Someone on the GKC forums suggested that maybe we'll go back to the beginning of time and see her as Maiden, Mother and Crone.
    True, but that's what the "whoever" was there for.

8. - Top - End - #668
    Troll in the Playground

True, but that's what the "whoever" was there for.
    I am having such an off week.
    Is it Friday yet?

9. - Top - End - #669
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

If that were the case, then a lamia-like figure would not lead to good outcomes when entrusted with human children. To put it mildly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

10. - Top - End - #670

BarbarianGuy

Frosty!

11. - Top - End - #671
    Firbolg in the Playground

Ah, so Jones's weirdly aloof persona is finally explained: She's the ultimate hipster! "Man, I was into being human like literally a million years before it was cool!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

12. - Top - End - #672

...holy crap.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am a...

Neutral Good Human Cleric (2nd level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 14
    Dexterity- 11
    Constitution- 12
    Intelligence- 17
    Wisdom- 19
    Charisma- 17

Jarlaxle and Auradin avatars by Teutonic Knight

13. - Top - End - #673
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

...an ice age. She napped through an actual ice age.

14. - Top - End - #674

At this point, Coyote's theory no longer applies to Jones. Short of retroactive-time-shenanagins, Jones predates modern humans.

However, it is possible (not probable) that Jones is in fact the first "myth" created, as she may have been the patron deity or something to early humans, such as homo erectus.

Why she looks like a modern human or something could be chalked up to the idea that, in striving to be more like their goddess, early humans actually became more like their goddess, physically at least.[/offthewalltheory]

15. - Top - End - #675
    Ettin in the Playground

Maybe shes a myth that was written into history?

16. - Top - End - #676
    Troll in the Playground

At this point, Coyote's theory no longer applies to Jones. Short of retroactive-time-shenanagins, Jones predates modern humans.
    Chances are so does Coyote. Remember, Coyote put the stars in the sky. But as Kat can tell you, the stars are ALSO millions upon millions of years old balls of exploding hydrogen. And both things are true!

I get this feeling etheric thought doesn't particularly give much thought to that kind of stuff.
    Last edited by Drascin; 2012-10-31 at 07:16 AM.

17. - Top - End - #677
    Troll in the Playground

Lovely. And I'm not talking about just Jones.

Depending on when in the Pleistocene we are, we may still be in the range of Homo Sapiens (and Homo Neanderthal), but it's close. It's interesting that the more we know of Jones' past, the more uncertain it becomes as to what she is...

18. - Top - End - #678
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    Chances are so does Coyote. Remember, Coyote put the stars in the sky. But as Kat can tell you, the stars are ALSO millions upon millions of years old balls of exploding hydrogen. And both things are true!

I get this feeling etheric thought doesn't particularly give much thought to that kind of stuff.
    So does that mean that the only things that exist are the things that humans believe in?

19. - Top - End - #679
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    Lovely. And I'm not talking about just Jones.

Depending on when in the Pleistocene we are, we may still be in the range of Homo Sapiens (and Homo Neanderthal), but it's close. It's interesting that the more we know of Jones' past, the more uncertain it becomes as to what she is...
    Homo sapiens neanderthalensis is a subspecies of humanity, which homo sapiens sapiens were able to breed with.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

20. - Top - End - #680

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post

It's less that the etheric doesn't give much thought to it, it's more the difference between the sun rising and an exploding ball of hydrogen coming into view over the horizon.

Things have dual natures; there are the things they are and the things they are.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #681

This is getting kind of ridiculous.
    Rational Goblin Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

Ixtlan, World of Exploration, my campaign setting. Currently on hiatus.

22. - Top - End - #682
    Titan in the Playground

So she's human shaped, but from before humanity existed in their present forms?
    I smell a time traveller coming back the Long Way, the Slow Path, the 'I really hope you got a hobby' road.

23. - Top - End - #683
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    So she's human shaped, but from before humanity existed in their present forms?
    I smell a time traveller coming back the Long Way, the Slow Path, the 'I really hope you got a hobby' road.
    That doesn't necessarily work. Lifespan is an issue, as is relative density and durability. No "scientific" (according to current pseudo-science) source of lifespan extension will work forever, and for that matter magical ones always seem to have some sort of hideous drawback. Furthermore, if the point of the enhancement is immortality, the target would not become heavy enough to sink knee-deep into a mattress, nor durable enough to bounce a sword off her face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

24. - Top - End - #684
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    That doesn't necessarily work. Lifespan is an issue, as is relative density and durability. No "scientific" (according to current pseudo-science) source of lifespan extension will work forever, and for that matter magical ones always seem to have some sort of hideous drawback. Furthermore, if the point of the enhancement is immortality, the target would not become heavy enough to sink knee-deep into a mattress, nor durable enough to bounce a sword off her face.
    I never said she was a human time traveller, just human shaped.

25. - Top - End - #685
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    I never said she was a human time traveller, just human shaped.
    But she's not a robot, remember?
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

26. - Top - End - #686
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

She's clearly not human. She's very durable and strong, she dosn't age, and appears to have muted emotions (Though this might be a side effect of existing for eons).
    I really liked the statue theory, but that's kind of gone away now.
    Right now, I'm saying she's either a time traveler, or some sort of concept (like Coyotes theory) projected retroactively through history.

Perhaps some hyper-advanced alien race stumbles upon the charred wreckage of earth and want to learn it's history, so they make a human-shaped, immortal, indestructible...thing, to watch everything and then tell them.

But that makes her a robot.

And she's not a robot.
    Last edited by BRC; 2012-10-31 at 02:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

27. - Top - End - #687
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Domochevsky View Post
    But she's not a robot, remember?
    As can be seen by the existence of Golems, Dragons, Fay, Elementals, etcetera, there is other types of sentience in this 'verse besides humans and robots.

28. - Top - End - #688
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Earth Elemental might work. We have fire elementals, that the rest of the classical quartet is also present isn't too big a stretch IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

29. - Top - End - #689
    Firbolg in the Playground

It would match the color scheme, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

30. - Top - End - #690

SolithKnightGuy

I had always kind of expected 'Earth Elemental' but the longer and longer this goes on the more and more I expect it to be something a bit more earth-shattering.

Hell at this point I'm almost expecting it to eventually end and for her to just say, "I don't know what I am, I have always been".