New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 3: Mystery Solved!

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    Just going to put this out there as far as Jones's answer: "I don't Know"
    You sir, have just won the thread.
    78% of all DM's start their first campaign in a tavern. If you're among the 22% who didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us where you DID begin.
    The docks of a small fishing village. One of the character's nearly drown trying to catch a fish barehanded.
    Quote Originally Posted by navar100 View Post
    What the DM says goes. If he says enough stupid stuff, the players go too.

2. - Top - End - #812
    Ettin in the Playground

WOW!!!! Tom should quit his job as a comic artist and just make us gifs like that every day!

Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    Annie still needs to ask her about the stars in the night sky.

I have a worrying feeling that the answer will be …

Spoiler
    Show
    There aren't any.
    Nonsense. There are some at the formation of the earth.

I'm pretty sure the stars are memories stolen by coyote. What if that's why Jones doesn't remember anything before the formation of the earth?????

3. - Top - End - #813
    Halfling in the Playground

Though it has probably been asked before, I now seriously wonder if Jones is anatomically correct; does she have reproductive organs? Does she even have organs? Can she eat, does she sleep, does she breathe?

I think we know why Jones shows few emotions; she may not even have any!

Tom's sense of humor is some of the best I've read.
    Thanks to flumphy for the avatar

4. - Top - End - #814
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt View Post
    I'm pretty sure the stars are memories stolen by coyote. What if that's why Jones doesn't remember anything before the formation of the earth?????
    Callback!

Coyote on the placement of the stars.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

5. - Top - End - #815
    Troll in the Playground

Jones came to be wayyyy before life, does not know what she is, and is not even alive.
    And we get a bonus .gif to mock us.
    ... is that so.
    HUSSIIIIIIIIIE TOOOOOOOOOOM *shakes fist*
    Dang it, the chapter's not even finished yet, but I suppose we're done getting answers to questions we've never asked.
    Quote Originally Posted by on Dwarf Fortress succession games
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarf Fortress 0.40.01 bugs
    - If an adventurer shouts and nobody is around to hear it, the game crashes
    - War Dogs appear to run from themselves in terror
    - New tree generation frequently causes birds to explode

6. - Top - End - #816
    Ettin in the Playground

I've really enjoyed this chapter so far. It perfectly juxtaposes the overly-long joke that was Jone's backstory with the punchlines in the commentary.

Also, this:
    Spoiler
    Show

This might be the best thing so far in this comic

7. - Top - End - #817
    Orc in the Playground

Conflicted...

+ 10 for Antimony's face
    + 1000000 for that Gif
    - 1000000 for the fact that the author himself doesn't seem to know what Jones is. A mystery for mysteries sake doesn't work for me.

The Tom Bombadil analogy is spot on. I didn't buy it from Tolkein, and I don't like it here!
    Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Fantastic avatar created by artist extraordinaire, Kwarkpudding

8. - Top - End - #818
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

She's a highly advanced golem made by a precursor race and left to monitor the development of this planet, which was investigated by them when the stellar system coalesced and was considered a high potential for the development of intelligent life.

9. - Top - End - #819
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by blueblade View Post
    The Tom Bombadil analogy is spot on. I didn't buy it from Tolkein, and I don't like it here!
    Within the mythos of the world in which LotR is set, Bombadil is very explainable as any of a number of things - a Maiar of a particular type, the spirit of nature given form by Eru, much like the Ents, or any number of other explanations of your choice. He is not at all out of place in that mythos and, while we don't know what Jones is, I very much get the impression that Tom does.

Siddell that is, not Bombadil.
    Last edited by Cavelcade; 2012-11-09 at 11:21 AM.

10. - Top - End - #820
    Ogre in the Playground

However, Tom Bombadil also knows.

11. - Top - End - #821
    Bugbear in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I know it's a bit early but I'd like to nominate the next thread be titled:

Gunnerkrigg Court 4: Click here to learn about Gunnerkrigg Court.

Also, that was a lot of build up for so little. I'm not too surprised by the 'answer' but it's still kind of lackluster.
    Last edited by Typewriter; 2012-11-09 at 12:07 PM.

12. - Top - End - #822

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Typewriter View Post
    I know it's a bit early but I'd like to nominate the next thread be titled:

Gunnerkrigg Court 4: Click here to learn about Gunnerkrigg Court.

Also, that was a lot of build up for so little. I'm not too surprised by the 'answer' but it's still kind of lackluster.
    And why exactly do you think that this is the climax?

13. - Top - End - #823
    Titan in the Playground

She may not be alive in the physical sense, but the fact she can form attachments at all speaks well of her humanity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

14. - Top - End - #824

Zombie

It feels like the end of chapter to me. And I, for one, am pretty satisfied with how it turned out. For every answer that you get in GC, there is another question, usually more than one.

And this is what it looks like here. Some things about Jones were cleared. More things were raised. All is as it should be. Besides, just look at Tom's comment. Mystery Solved! :) You don't go past mystery solved.

15. - Top - End - #825
    Ettin in the Playground

No! I don't want answers for the sake of more questions! I demand this to have changed SOMEthing.

16. - Top - End - #826
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    No! I don't want answers for the sake of more questions! I demand this to have changed SOMEthing.
    Welcome to Gunnerkrigg. Sometimes the answers lead to even more questions.

Like: How did Coyote pull down the moon and make it a marble that Annie could touch, then put it back into the sky? And let's not forget her fingerprint being magnified from maybe a square inch to a few thousand square miles...
    Last edited by sihnfahl; 2012-11-09 at 02:52 PM.

17. - Top - End - #827
    Ettin in the Playground

Thats unrelated to my point.

Where does this all leed? Why does it matter?

It DOES seem to be going somewhere, and I won't mind putting it on hold for a while as long as there is a PAYOFF.

Because otherwise its just pointless blabber.

18. - Top - End - #828
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by fwiffo View Post
    It feels like the end of chapter to me. And I, for one, am pretty satisfied with how it turned out. For every answer that you get in GC, there is another question, usually more than one.

And this is what it looks like here. Some things about Jones were cleared. More things were raised. All is as it should be. Besides, just look at Tom's comment. Mystery Solved! :) You don't go past mystery solved.
    Clearly isn't though. No little symbol in the corner.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #829
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

What, all that work and the question still isn't answered?

Like this page?

It may or may not lead to something down the road. Now Annie has even more questions ... that doesn't mean, though, that they'll get answered.

Life is odd like that.

20. - Top - End - #830

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    What, all that work and the question still isn't answered?

Like this page?

It may or may not lead to something down the road. Now Annie has even more questions ... that doesn't mean, though, that they'll get answered.

Life is odd like that.
    Yep, that's exactly the case here. We only know a little, and we won't get answers till later because it makes for a better story.
    I make games.

"...I worry that modern gaming is gradually shrinking the wide spectrum of gameplay mechanics into a single narrow red bar with "KILL" written on it sideways. Exploration, navigation, puzzles, platforming, all gradually shrinking away until only one thing remains, being taken by the hand from room to room, moving on only when nothing remains alive in each one." - Yhatzee Crosshaw

21. - Top - End - #831
    Ettin in the Playground

Thats fine. I don't mind answers or revelations later down.

But it needs to LEED to something because this ISN'T life. And then otherwise this just means its just one single gigantic world-building arc.

Great. Now SET something in that world.

22. - Top - End - #832

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Imgran View Post
    And why exactly do you think that this is the climax?
    I didn't mean climax as in 'this will never got brought up again', I meant climax relative to the chapter. Unless something happens before the chapter ends that reveals more about what we just saw then that entire sequence was just one long buildup with the end result of one more thing being placed on a backburner.

23. - Top - End - #833
    Titan in the Playground

Actually, we know a good deal more now. It's just that this has all raised even more questions.
    Like I said, it's like science.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

24. - Top - End - #834
    Halfling in the Playground

It DOES seem to be going somewhere, and I won't mind putting it on hold for a while as long as there is a PAYOFF.
    Because otherwise its just pointless blabber.
    My reply:
    Spoiler
    Show

Keep in mind that I'm pretty sure that Tom said somewhere (which is totally the most reliable fact-relaying opening statement) that, barring an unforseen cancellation of the comic, he will answer any mysteries he poses, and that he already knows the answers to most mysteries.

Also, I'd say this is kind of a lead to something. Besides the "stars in the night sky" question (which is certainly important), this comic shows that:

a: Jones is really, really old.

b: She appears to be a personification of the Earth in some form

c: She is not alive

d: She doesn't know what she is

e: Perhaps biggest of all, Annie (and thus Kat, etc.) knows all that as well..

Of course, if that isn't satisfying, keep in mind that Gunnerkrigg Court is basically a massive spiderweb of information being knitterd into plot. It's been like that since Chapter 1 (Shadow), and it will likely always be like that. It will likely be a while before we learn the ultimate plot, or see the info we need.

TL;DR- It'll take a while before we know everything about GC. Until then, just sit back and enjoy the show.

That's basically my thoughts.
    Thanks to flumphy for the avatar

25. - Top - End - #835
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Not alive, not undead, so... something like a golem then, since spiritual beings wouldn't really have it be pertinent to mention...

Hm. The Unalive. Time is like a donut indeed...
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

26. - Top - End - #836
    Troll in the Playground

I'm going to extrapolate. Or babble. They're sometimes the same.

Jones says she doesn't know what she is. That almost certainly means the Court doesn't know, either, although I'm sure they tried to find out. It's clear they know about Jones' history and abilities and they've given her a LOT of authority and power; they wouldn't do that for someone they didn't trust. I'd bet the best scientists and etherists (?) the Court had looked her over up and down, outside and in (if she's got an inside) when they found her or she found them, and apparently determined... nothing. At least nothing they shared with her. Although I suspect it was the former, not the latter: They may have a lot of facts, but Jones may be beyond mortal ken. Maybe mortal barbie, too.

But that brings up another angle. Jones is friends of sort with Rey. She knows Brinnie, who attended Court classes way back when. Eglamore can use the Valknut. Chang'e can go to the Court and ask why there's suddenly a fingerprint on her Moon, and get a respectful (if disingenuous) answer. All this suggests Jones and the Court are not unfamiliar with gods and supernatural beings other than those in the Forest, and are able to communicate with them. I would find it hard to believe in all her years there no one has asked beings who ARE beyond mortal ken what Jones is. They either haven't said... or they don't know.

But Coyote knows. Or thinks he does. His insistence that Jones validates his thesis that Man shapes the Etheric would appear to make no sense based on what we know. But Coyote doesn't lie. So either he knows something no one else may, or he's really mistaken. Either way, by telling his Great Secret to Annie and sending her to talk to Jones, it would seem Coyote may be trying to entice Jones to ask him about herself... Which given that it's Coyote, could be an opportunity for mischief, trickery, and induced confusion on a massive scale...

That's all I've got. I'll shut up now.

27. - Top - End - #837
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Thats fine. I don't mind answers or revelations later down.

But it needs to LEED to something because this ISN'T life. And then otherwise this just means its just one single gigantic world-building arc.

Great. Now SET something in that world.
    Things are progressing. Slowly. We learned a bit more about Jones' history in this chapter. Did the writer use more pages than necessary? Maybe. But that's the pace of Gunnerkrigg Court. When mysteries are the point of the story you can't answer them too quickly because then the story...ends.

I don't really understand what you want from the comic, Page 1: Mystery and Page 2: Answers?
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

28. - Top - End - #838
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, many religions have a 'mother Earth' figure, often depicted as humanoid, who would naturally be as old as the Earth itself (being the anthropomorphic personification of said planet), so I'm figuring that's what Jones is. Enough people believe it, so it becomes a thing. And belief is clearly strong enough to make gods, so why can't belief make it so that Jones was always there, from the formation of the Earth?

29. - Top - End - #839
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ajadea View Post
    Well, many religions have a 'mother Earth' figure, often depicted as humanoid, who would naturally be as old as the Earth itself (being the anthropomorphic personification of said planet), so I'm figuring that's what Jones is. Enough people believe it, so it becomes a thing. And belief is clearly strong enough to make gods, so why can't belief make it so that Jones was always there, from the formation of the Earth?
    It would explain why she's good with children. "Mother", and all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

30. - Top - End - #840
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ajadea View Post
    I'm thinking something to this effect may be what is going on here. Perhaps Jones' physical form was born of the earth itself. If true, in at least a physical sense Jones HAS existed since the beginning, even if her capacity to move about and act on her own has only developed recently (relatively speaking). If she is Mother Earth, or some manner of stone spirit, I also wonder if she actually appeared then as she does now, or if the appearances we see of her in the deeper past are merely a stand-in for whatever she actually looked like back then.

I wonder if perhaps the presence of Jones in the deeper past is more as a symbol of her presence rather than a true rendering of her appearance at the time. I wonder if she wasn't in the Hadean and Silurian as a formation of stone. She could have been in the Pleistocene as a stone borne by a glacier. The Cro-Magnons used stone weapons, perhaps her presence there is more symbolic of man using stone to defeat creatures larger than themselves. If these early humans put some spiritual significance into the act, the power of Jones would grow. Even as recently as Rome, we see no one talking to her, no one interacting with her. She watches as the city of stone burns. She stands idle as even her own clothing catches fire. Perhaps yet another example of Jones as a symbol, rather than Jones in her current body.

As for all this leading to nothing, that is patently untrue. We now know that Jones is (really, really, REALLY) old. We know that she pre-dates life on earth. We know that Jones has some awareness of her own existence stretching back that full span of time. We now know she has worn many names in the past few centuries, we know she has acted as a companion of sorts for at least 2 men that she outlived (and have seen implications that there were more).

In truth, we have learned a great deal about Jones on this trek. It's just that every answer given brings up multiple new questions. Tom is fond of making mysteries (understatement). And seeing as he is laying the plot out one page of comics at a time it is to be expected that this will mean many questions are left unanswered now so that he can come back and answer them later. A mystery that lasts a dozen pages or so before being answered isn't much of a mystery, it's a Q & A session with the universe. To be a mystery, the question must be planted, then left to grow until the time is right to harvest the answer. I have little doubt that, when the time is right, we will discover more about what Jones is. And I have no doubt at all that when we do learn more about what Jones is, it will serve to spawn several fresh mysteries in its wake.
    Last edited by Belril Duskwalk; 2012-11-09 at 11:27 PM.
    78% of all DM's start their first campaign in a tavern. If you're among the 22% who didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us where you DID begin.
    The docks of a small fishing village. One of the character's nearly drown trying to catch a fish barehanded.
    Quote Originally Posted by navar100 View Post
    What the DM says goes. If he says enough stupid stuff, the players go too.