New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 34 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1493
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 3: Mystery Solved!

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    Why call her Data? Didn't Wizard of Oz with their Tin Man come before Star Trek? There may have been even older uses of this trope, though I don't know of them.

Personally I hope that Jones isn't emotionless, because I can't sympathize with, or feel anything for, an emotionless character. If Jones doesn't actually care about her decades of loneliness then why should I? If Jones doesn't can't actually feel things like friendship towards another person then why should we care that she outlives all the people she may have felt things towards?

To summarize: If Jones can't feel emotions then why should I feel emotions for her?
    To be picayune, it wasn't that Nick Chopper - the Tin Woodman - didn't feel emotions. He started out as a normal human, but the Wicked Witch of the East enchanted his axe so it would cut off a piece of him until there was nothing left. He got around this by having a tinsmith fashion a new part whenever he lost one, but the tinsmith didn't make him a heart. And without a heart, Nick didn't think he had emotions anymore. But if you the book, it's clear he DID, even before the Wizard gave him a humbug heart. That might be Jones' problem. She sees humans having these emotional fireworks all over the place, and because that's not what SHE feels, she assumes she doesn't have them. But you can destroy a rock in a second with an explosion, or over millions of years by wearing it away. It may be what Jones feels is just as strong as a human, but very slow. So slow that the object of her emotion usually ceases to exist before she becomes aware that she feels something towards it/them...

2. - Top - End - #992
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    If she were a philosophical zombie, then she wouldn't appear so emotionless. P-zombies are capable of emulating human emotions flawlessly, even though they lack the capacity to feel them.
    I always thought the idea of s P-Zombie was that nobody was home. There is no 'they', no 'I' inside. Traditionally yes, in the thought experiment such a creature is capable of perfectly expressing emotions without anything feeling them, but it is hardly necessary for the core of the concept: a hollow shell, a person who isn't.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2012-11-27 at 09:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

3. - Top - End - #993
    Titan in the Playground

Nothing on the new one yet? Wow.

I got nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

4. - Top - End - #994
    Ettin in the Playground

Well its just been so confusing nobody is sure what to say.

5. - Top - End - #995
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    Well its just been so confusing nobody is sure what to say.
    Actually, not really. Jones is voicing the same ponderings we had for the last update.

The new thing we have is Jones' footprints, and she is acknowledging them as her footprints, in the fossil record. That they're seen as hoaxes intimates that a number of her footprints were found in the record prior to the 'homo' genus evolving.
    Last edited by sihnfahl; 2012-11-28 at 12:23 PM.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

6. - Top - End - #996
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    Actually, not really. Jones is voicing the same ponderings we had for the last update.

The new thing we have is Jones' footprints, and she is acknowledging them as her footprints, in the fossil record. That they're seen as hoaxes intimates that a number of her footprints were found in the record prior to the 'homo' genus evolving.
    She has such a monster ego that she looks for references to herself in obscure texts. I bet she edits Wikipedia, too.
    Last edited by stsasser; 2012-11-28 at 12:51 PM.

7. - Top - End - #997

Zombie

I am not thrilled about the recent strips. I think they should've ended at one or two strips right after the trip-to-formation-of-earth.

GC is about discovery process, where some questions get answered but more are raised, and that happens within context of something going on. It is normally a mystery, with clues given sparingly and indirectly, and the fun is piecing them together. The recent ones have been way too much exposition and too much information dump just for its own sake.

Don't take me wrong, it is still good stuff. Much like Giant, Tom is too skilled at his craft to know not to write something unreadable. I just don't find it to be up to his usual high standards.

8. - Top - End - #998
    Ettin in the Playground

Nah. Im for once happy somebody just wanted answers and got them. Not every mystery needs to be cryptic and go on for 5 arcs.

9. - Top - End - #999
    Ogre in the Playground

Who wants to bet the fingerprint on the moon is going to come up again?

10. - Top - End - #1000
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    Well, it should. After all, it does reflect the power Coyote was granted by the human psyche if he's capable of affecting reality like that.

Which should also bring up the chasm that Coyote created between the forest and the Court with his claw...

11. - Top - End - #1001
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    To be picayune, it wasn't that Nick Chopper - the Tin Woodman - didn't feel emotions. He started out as a normal human, but the Wicked Witch of the East enchanted his axe so it would cut off a piece of him until there was nothing left. He got around this by having a tinsmith fashion a new part whenever he lost one, but the tinsmith didn't make him a heart. And without a heart, Nick didn't think he had emotions anymore. But if you the book, it's clear he DID, even before the Wizard gave him a humbug heart.
    Well yea, that is what I meant. Someone that doesn't believe they have emotions, but they actually do. I suppose the confusion may come from the fact that I didn't watch a lot of Next Generation.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2012-11-29 at 03:50 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1002
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    You have your moon. And some other goodies.

13. - Top - End - #1003

What is Gunnerkrigg Court? It is man's endeavor to become God.

The implications of that statement, combined with Coyote's hypothesis in today's last panel, combined with the Court's in-depth etheric studies, are frightening to consider.
    A potent relic of the past. 'Tis said the wearer commands the wisdom of kings, and can see the unseeable.
    Like the grue lurking in your bedroom waiting for you to fall asleep.
    But perhaps some things are better left unseen...
    Dazzling avatar by Ceika

14. - Top - End - #1004
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pheehelm View Post
    The implications of that statement, combined with Coyote's hypothesis in today's last panel, combined with the Court's in-depth etheric studies, are frightening to consider.
    Ah, but of course it's frightening. Instead of subconciously guiding the Etheric, Gunnerkrigg is aiming to learn how to directly control it... like any other power.

We already see the first glimpses of what they've learned they're capable of - Kat's Mom's computer system ... the shields used against Ysengrim and Reynardine ... the bots, which are starting to act very human-like...

15. - Top - End - #1005
    Titan in the Playground

'Starting', what do you mean, 'starting'?
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

16. - Top - End - #1006
    Bugbear in the Playground

Speaking of the robots, I think Coyote's theory also raises some interesting questions about Kat. She's a more-or-less normal person now, but the robots are already making myths about her.
    When in doubt, light something on fire.

17. - Top - End - #1007
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yeah, that comes up in discussion a lot. Remember how Zimmy perceived Kat? She might achieve apotheosis some day, if the robots can affect the ether.

18. - Top - End - #1008
    Ogre in the Playground

My google-fu fails me and I really don't want to go into an in depth archive dive, is there any way someone could link me to the comic where zimmy says how she sees kat?
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #1009
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fjolnir View Post
    My google-fu fails me and I really don't want to go into an in depth archive dive, is there any way someone could link me to the comic where zimmy says how she sees kat?
    One selective archive dive later...
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

20. - Top - End - #1010
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah I was in an earlier space than that...
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #1011
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by spectralphoenix View Post
    Speaking of the robots, I think Coyote's theory also raises some interesting questions about Kat. She's a more-or-less normal person now, but the robots are already making myths about her.
    ... can't believe I didn't even think about that.
    I believe that a "oh crap" is in order.
    Quote Originally Posted by on Dwarf Fortress succession games
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarf Fortress 0.40.01 bugs
    - If an adventurer shouts and nobody is around to hear it, the game crashes
    - War Dogs appear to run from themselves in terror
    - New tree generation frequently causes birds to explode

22. - Top - End - #1012
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Actually, I think that's the mentioned bit of the book. Unless what I quoted was in fact a direct quote and not a paraphrasing of what you just said. Which it might be.
    You are correct, I was paraphrasing it to fit the situation, and what Raven's Cry quoted was the phrase from the book I was talking about. Yay understanding!

EDIT: What with the recent discussion, and the linked page, I feel like THIS is... quite relevant.

Edit 2: And this page was already posted. Whoops.
    Last edited by Fayd; 2012-12-02 at 09:04 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #1013
    Troll in the Playground

Ah, now we're finally getting to the important part. Ysengrin...

24. - Top - End - #1014
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    Ah, now we're finally getting to the important part. Ysengrin...
    It must be hard for someone who hates humans be told that his very existence is due to humanity...

25. - Top - End - #1015

Why's she thinking about Ysengrin? Does he have a relation to the ether experiments, or is she just thinking about his outrage about Coyote's story?

And yes, this answers a lot of questions about Zimmy's perception of Kat. Zimmy, being oversensitive to the ether, is seeing the stories being told about a robot angel.

26. - Top - End - #1016
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mephit View Post
    Why's she thinking about Ysengrin? Does he have a relation to the ether experiments, or is she just thinking about his outrage about Coyote's story?
    The second, I believe.

27. - Top - End - #1017
    Ettin in the Playground

Not sure he actually hates humans, though, given the recent... events we've seen him and Coyote in. (What with Coyote removing memories selectively. Makes it easy to manipulate Ysengrin.)
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

28. - Top - End - #1018
    Titan in the Playground

I wonder...
    Does Coyote remove the memory of him removing memories?
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

29. - Top - End - #1019
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    I wonder...
    Does Coyote remove the memory of him removing memories?
    If he's got any common sense at all, he'd remove the memory of the removal as well. And Coyote has much more than merely "common" sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

30. - Top - End - #1020
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Domochevsky View Post
    Not sure he actually hates humans, though, given the recent... events we've seen him and Coyote in. (What with Coyote removing memories selectively. Makes it easy to manipulate Ysengrin.)
    His past behavior has shown a bit of animosity towards humans. No humans in the forest (unless invited); he doesn't want to spend any more time in their company than necessary; the condition that humans, should they want to live in the forest, first give up being physically human; him calling any forest-dwellers that go to the Court 'traitors'...

Yes, he feels regret after he attacks Annie and comes down from his rage... but then Coyote steals anything that makes him introspective as to his thoughts regarding humans, making him just as implacable as before. He never grows, he never changes... he's Ysengrin, Guardian of the Forest.
    Last edited by sihnfahl; 2012-12-03 at 01:35 PM.