New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1493
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 3: Mystery Solved!

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    If he's got any common sense at all, he'd remove the memory of the removal as well. And Coyote has much more than merely "common" sense.
    It only works as long as Antimony doesn't talks to Ysengrin about what has happened. If Coyote takes it a step further and erases Antimony's memory of the event the people she talked with about it will also be a problem.

Of course Coyote probably has a completely different plan in mind: to make Antimony his co-conspirator in the Ysegrin-handling thereby turning him into a tool instead of a friend.

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by fwiffo View Post
    I am not thrilled about the recent strips. I think they should've ended at one or two strips right after the trip-to-formation-of-earth.

GC is about discovery process, where some questions get answered but more are raised, and that happens within context of something going on. It is normally a mystery, with clues given sparingly and indirectly, and the fun is piecing them together. The recent ones have been way too much exposition and too much information dump just for its own sake.

Don't take me wrong, it is still good stuff. Much like Giant, Tom is too skilled at his craft to know not to write something unreadable. I just don't find it to be up to his usual high standards.
    I dont know, I think it still accomplishes that. I mean, Imagine if the flashback had stopped at the formation of humans. At that point i was thinking that she was either Eve or Lillith (most likely Lillith). Hell we would have thought she was human. Next page we see that it is an impossibility . And then soon the fact that she may not be of this earth, and its entirely possible she existed before earth did.

So if anything it does raise questions. But BIG ones, not small ones. Not "well how does Jones have her powers" but rather questions like "if Coyote is wrong then WHO created Jones" or "If Coyote is write, and Jones isn't known to the world then who imagined her, and was it only one person?"

thats a big major thing there. What if Jones is merely a little girl's imaginary friend. And since she imagined her having always existed, so did Jones manifest. Even if it wasnt a single person, I dont believe myths about eternal indestructible women exist anywhere, meaning a small group of people created the oldest arguably most physically powerful creature on the planet.

Definately more questions than it answered. And the questions are big, and obviously the two most knowledgeable entities on the planet (Jones and Coyote) dont know the answers!
    Part of the "Raise Nale and Let Him Serve Life in Prison" fan-club

"The only reason why people didn't like Durkon before was because he is the only member of the group that doesn't commit evil, like hurting others, or breaking the rules for giggles. I.E.' He's not cool'"

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Troll in the Playground

Yay, the website is finally up!

Uh-oh, this is ominous. What can Jones be about to say? It will probably have to do with Annie's attitude. Her abilities and prospects. Her survival.

Or maybe that that make-up REALLY doesn't do anything for her...

4. - Top - End - #1024

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    What can Jones be about to say? It will probably have to do with Annie's attitude. Her abilities and prospects.
    Yes, Attitude and homework

I guess, Jones recommanded someone else as medium, probably Parley.
    Last edited by hajo; 2012-12-06 at 10:08 AM.
    -HaJo

FLW: Oh, no. We're being rescued. How embarrassing!

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh comon! Its the first thing anybody says is "the HORRORS" what about the good stuff then?

Where are the saviors, the dreams and the fantasies of a great future!

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    Oh comon! Its the first thing anybody says is "the HORRORS" what about the good stuff then?

I think people's imagination tend to go much more frequently (and strongly) to the negative areas: fear, hatred, terror. Which is a good survival tactic. How many good dreams do you remember?

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Ettin in the Playground

Most of my dreams are just crazy. Like just today I dreamt that my dad was Agent 47 (Or something) from Hitman.

And I tend to spend more times thinking about the fantastical in general then anything evil or bad in specific.
    Last edited by Scowling Dragon; 2012-12-07 at 04:44 AM.

8. - Top - End - #1028
    Ogre in the Playground

Most of my dreams are just crazy. Like just today I dreamt that my dad was Agent 47 (Or something) from Hitman.

And I tend to spend more times thinking about the fantastical in general then anything evil or bad in specific.
    So... Would you like random dreams you have to consolidate into gods who'll rule you? (Please do not think of the Pedobear. Did I say pedobear? Forget about him. Don't you dare think about him)

9. - Top - End - #1029
    Ettin in the Playground

Well no, but I mostly dream of peace and a better future, and space exploration. Im not sure what happens then.

Its better then Coyote.

10. - Top - End - #1030

As I recall, Jones said that the myths in the human mind dispersed back into the ether when they died. I would imagine that the horrors of mankind (and scavenger animals) are disproportionately represented in people's thoughts right before they die.
    When in doubt, light something on fire.

11. - Top - End - #1031
    Titan in the Playground

I dreamed I was climbing a really tall tree by clinging to the trunk, while discussing the logistics of a primitive internet based on Morse code.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

12. - Top - End - #1032
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Where I work, the employee agreement includes a line stating that anything we think about while at work is owned by the company. This came up during a company meeting once, and a known troublemaker/heckler replied "So, <company name> is a <pron> supplier now?"

O_o

o_O

(I was NOT the heckler, before anybody thinks that).
    Last edited by TheEmerged; 2012-12-07 at 06:20 PM.
    • Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    • The main problem with the world? So many grownups, not enough adults.
    • Talk less; say more.
    • George R.R. Martin, Kirkman, and Joss Whedon walked into a bar. There were no survivors.
    • Current Project: Fallout 4 "nerd" build (3/7/2/2/9/3/2, PER 9 after boosts)

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheEmerged View Post
    Where I work, the employee agreement includes a line stating that anything we think about while at work is owned by the company. This came up during a company meeting once, and a known troublemaker/heckler replied "So, <company name> is a <pron> supplier now?"

O_o

o_O

(I was NOT the heckler, before anybody thinks that).
    How big a laugh did they get, out of curiosity?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

14. - Top - End - #1034
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

In this economy? People who went "full chipmunk" and managed to catch the laugh before it went out (I'm in this group), cringing, a scatter of nervous "Only <heckler> would say that out loud" moaning, and a genuinely confused look from the speaker at the meeting until he got it, then an ugly glare when he DID get it..
    • Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    • The main problem with the world? So many grownups, not enough adults.
    • Talk less; say more.
    • George R.R. Martin, Kirkman, and Joss Whedon walked into a bar. There were no survivors.
    • Current Project: Fallout 4 "nerd" build (3/7/2/2/9/3/2, PER 9 after boosts)

15. - Top - End - #1035
    Barbarian in the Playground

Very, very good chapter. Very sweet.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am a...

Neutral Good Human Cleric (2nd level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 14
    Dexterity- 11
    Constitution- 12
    Intelligence- 17
    Wisdom- 19
    Charisma- 17

Jarlaxle and Auradin avatars by Teutonic Knight

16. - Top - End - #1036
    Titan in the Playground

Hey look!

Jones does totally have emotions.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

17. - Top - End - #1037
    Ettin in the Playground

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! No more sappy sentimentality!

18. - Top - End - #1038
    Ogre in the Playground

This is how people talk. I really don't know why you're complaining about this one - it's not poorly constructed, written or drawn. Nor do we know if Annie is even correct (though I think she is), it's more of a bittersweet type moment, coming down from the emotional high (or up from the emotional low?) of the last chapter.

Spoiler
    Show
    Previous avatar courtesy of CoffeeIncluded - of Kurt, from the Toes in the Water Knee Deep Against the current Stormy Seas campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    The irony comes in when we use "Orcs are a metaphor for human savagery" to rationalize human savagery.

19. - Top - End - #1039
    Ettin in the Playground

The Coyote shtick has worn off already. This isn't poorly constructed....But just DONE before. No more Datas!

And Yesgrin was already shown to be just mind controlled. In reality he is just a wonderful little flower like the rest of them.

Maybe I need to take a break until something not sentimental or emotional happens again.

20. - Top - End - #1040
    Troll in the Playground

The Coyote shtick has worn off already. This isn't poorly constructed....But just DONE before. No more Datas!

And Yesgrin was already shown to be just mind controlled. In reality he is just a wonderful little flower like the rest of them.

Maybe I need to take a break until something not sentimental or emotional happens again.
    Maybe Gunnerkrigg Court isn't the right comic for you then...
    I make avatars. Sometimes.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #1041
    Ettin in the Playground

My issue isn't as much the emotion as much as it is the way it TEASES me with danger, only to make it a cuddly wuddly bunny that just needs a hug.

22. - Top - End - #1042
    Ogre in the Playground

Your idea that the effect of Coyote already having worn off is not true in the sense that this is somehow negative - the point it to have a cathartic moment after the drama of the last chapter. Also GC is clearly written with the ideal of reading it as a collection, rather than as a weekly thing (though I think it works this way, too), at least, that's what I think the structure and pacing suggests.

Also, Ysengrim's outburst wasn't mind control but his own instinct - he is that dangerous. Coyote is manipulating him and stealing memories that might make him change, but the anger was all Ysengrim.

And finally, stop just yelling about the structure and danger/lack of it of the comic. If you think it's a poor choice, then explain why, but it seems to me like you just don't like the type of story that is being told. Stop yelling about it, then.

Spoiler
    Show
    Previous avatar courtesy of CoffeeIncluded - of Kurt, from the Toes in the Water Knee Deep Against the current Stormy Seas campaign.

The irony comes in when we use "Orcs are a metaphor for human savagery" to rationalize human savagery.

23. - Top - End - #1043
    Ogre in the Playground

My issue isn't as much the emotion as much as it is the way it TEASES me with danger, only to make it a cuddly wuddly bunny that just needs a hug.
    I'd like to say that the same stuff in the Homestuck thread applies here. We accept that Gunnerkrigg Court has flaws- although I personally don't think these are flaws, they're just things you dislike. We know that you don't like them.

The biggest issue is that you keep going on and on and on and on and on about it.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

24. - Top - End - #1044
    Ogre in the Playground

Antimony: You carry their names with you after they pass as a sign of that love.

Jones: No. They are trophies.

25. - Top - End - #1045
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cavelcade View Post
    And finally, stop just yelling about the structure and danger/lack of it of the comic.
    Im not. This is purely my opinion.

Its completly subjective. Its just HARD to quit a webcomic. And it was easy to get into GC as its first few arcs where filled with danger and mystery....which was all devalued.....BUT STILL.

But hey. This stuff is just my opinion.

26. - Top - End - #1046
    Ogre in the Playground

When I say yelling about it, I essentially mean those one line posts of yours followed by several exclamation marks and angry faces. That's not just having an opinion, that's yelling your opinion at it.

Also, how was it devalued? How did it somehow lose some worth in the intermediate periods? To me, the starting chapters are vitally important because they set the overarching tone of the comic, which is one of mystery and danger, from both the court and the forest. It's important to remember who we see this, through, though, which is to say Antimony. When she first arrived, everything was viewed as hostile by her, because of her upbringing and the sudden change.

Then there was a period where she began taking things for granted, and focused almost entirely on her own mini-dramas, as is typical of the changes people go through as they grow. This is reflected in the comic.

And now she's just been jolted awake. It will be interesting to see what will happen now.

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #1047
    Titan in the Playground

Umm...no. Yesgrin is a extremely dangerous. But, un-mind controlled, he is not an irrational being, prone to berserker outrage. Which wasn't exactly news: we've known that he's recently become mentally unstable back when he and coyote came to that meeting with the court.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

28. - Top - End - #1048

I was thinking a bit more about this, and it strikes me that Coyote was talking about myths, not dreams. And myths, going all the way back to chapter 2, are stories about things people don't understand. There is no god of human achievements* running around because those are things humans more or less by definition understand. The myths range from capricious to outright malevolent because the good stuff in the world comes from hard work, not mysterious outside forces.

*Well, Kat might qualify, but that's because she's a robot-myth, not a people-myth.

Or for that matter, maybe Santa Claus does exist somewhere, and Jones just thought it was more important to warn Annie about the things that might hurt her.
    When in doubt, light something on fire.

29. - Top - End - #1049
    Troll in the Playground

Im not. This is purely my opinion.

Its completly subjective. Its just HARD to quit a webcomic. And it was easy to get into GC as its first few arcs where filled with danger and mystery....which was all devalued.....BUT STILL.

But hey. This stuff is just my opinion.
    Naturally there was more mystery at first; we were being introduced to new things, from the Tic-Tocs to Jeanne to Zimmy to the Court itself, and there was much that we did not know. As the story progresses and we find out more, it is understandable that some of the mysteries are being resolved. Although Mr. Siddell is proving extremely competent at introducing new mysteries while clearing up others...

As to danger, you may be focusing on physical threat and overlooking the increasingly looming moral / social / situational problem. A LOT of people seem to have plans for Annie. Coyote, the Court, her father, perhaps the Tic-tocs, she is a potentially valuable pawn to several factions. And pawns don't always survive. Intact.

Not to mention Annie herself seems to be heading in dangerous directions, driven by her desire to make things right. Jeanne is trapped in the Chasm, and Annie has learned enough about her to be determined to try to help her, despite the danger. Which is considerable, especially since Jeanne's abilities are still not clear. And now there's Ysengrin. Annie's teacher, friend, possible substitute father-figure. That he may be going insane, and Coyote may be responsible, is obviously something unthinkable to her. I'm sure she's going to try to intervene. And intervening in the affairs of gods is seldom a good thing...

Perhaps it would help if you took a hiatus, let a few weeks pass, and then returned and read the accumulated pages all at once. That might tell you if you wish to continue following the story.

30. - Top - End - #1050
    Titan in the Playground

*tears up a little*
    Sometimes it's the simple gestures that mean the most.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding