New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1732333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1493
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 3: Mystery Solved!

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    Yeah, well, that's Jones. She's just an advisor. The rest of the Court decided Andrew was better for their purposes.
    Also, it could be that Jones/the Court reconsidered after Annie's most recent forest escapade, given that it occurred after Jones made her recommendation.
    Avatar by Tom Siddell, author and artist of Gunnerkrigg Court.

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

There's some supernatural craziness at work here.

Is Coyote overwriting reality somehow?
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2013-02-08 at 10:22 AM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

3. - Top - End - #1233
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    There's some supernatural craziness at work here.

Is Coyote overwriting reality somehow?
    Very possible. Or he only reacted in the second-to-last panel. We've seen him freeze time before.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

4. - Top - End - #1234
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Belril Duskwalk View Post
    My prediction is that somehow, someway, Tom will manage to leave this a cliffhanger until Monday. I don't know how he will do that, but this setup suggests we should get an answer Friday. But from my reading of the comic, I think Tom is allergic to solving ANY mystery on a Friday. So somehow he will make this cliffhanger last till Monday, even, or perhaps especially because he has setup a situation which suggests the answer would be in the next strip.
    It's a very common ailment among webcomic authors. Friday Cliffhanger Syndrome, I think it's called.
    Truth resists simplicity.

5. - Top - End - #1235
    Barbarian in the Playground

Or maybe they just didn't hear Smitty's name.

6. - Top - End - #1236

Zombie

Usual setup with these type of situations is that one person mishears, or hears what he wants to hear, and then makes a fool of himself acting as if he was chosen when he is not. Tom, of course, being a writer that he is, would have none of it.

Still, the original point that was made by several people stands. How can they all mishear? It is not like "Andrew Smith" sounds anything similar to "Antimony Carver".

Or did they all mishear? Take a look at the last panel. It is virtually identical to panel five, except that Reynardine is smiling. It is never a good sign when Reynardine finds something amusing. I bet he knows what is going on, and I am leaning to agreeing that very likely Coyote is messing with the process. We know Coyote would it rather be Annie than anyone else.
    Last edited by fwiffo; 2013-02-08 at 04:40 PM.

7. - Top - End - #1237
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by fwiffo View Post
    Usual setup with these type of situations is that one person mishears, or hears what he wants to hear, and then makes a fool of himself acting as if he was chosen when he is not. Tom, of course, being a writer that he is, would have none of it.

Still, the original point that was made by several people stands. How can they all mishear? It is not like "Andrew Smith" sounds anything similar to "Antimony Carver".

Or did they all mishear? Take a look at the last panel. It is virtually identical to panel five, except that Reynardine is smiling. It is never a good sign when Reynardine finds something amusing. I bet he knows what is going on, and I am leaning to agreeing that very likely Coyote is messing with the process. We know Coyote would it rather be Annie than anyone else.
    That's not a smile. That's his chin.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

8. - Top - End - #1238
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

He looks rather confused to me, I must admit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

9. - Top - End - #1239

I mean they literally didn't hear Smitty's name. Reynard did.

10. - Top - End - #1240
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    That's not a smile. That's his chin.
    Ohmygosh I can't unsee it now! He looks so cute!
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

11. - Top - End - #1241
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Mouse View Post
    Ohmygosh I can't unsee it now! He looks so cute!
    Can't unsee it now either. And the shading makes his fur look like a beard
    Truth resists simplicity.

12. - Top - End - #1242

PirateGuy

OK, we know Jones recommended a female, which is not Smitty. So the Court is for reasons of their own ignoring both Jones's recommendation and Annie's obvious talent and going in favor of perhaps the less talented but far more predictable Smitty. Easy enough to see why.

13. - Top - End - #1243
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Imgran View Post
    OK, we know Jones recommended a female, which is not Smitty. So the Court is for reasons of their own ignoring both Jones's recommendation and Annie's obvious talent and going in favor of perhaps the less talented but far more predictable Smitty. Easy enough to see why.
    Because Annie has shown obvious favoritism to the forest over the court, and as such cannot be a reliable medium between the two?

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

14. - Top - End - #1244

In retrospect, it's obvious Smitty would be the medium. I mean look at them. Parley's the tall, and Annie's the short. Therefore, Andrew is the medium.
    I Wanna Be the Guy Kid avatar by Ceika. Many thanks.

If I win, I get to be a king. If I lose, then I get to be a legend.

15. - Top - End - #1245
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Final_Stand View Post
    In retrospect, it's obvious Smitty would be the medium. I mean look at them. Parley's the tall, and Annie's the short. Therefore, Andrew is the medium.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

16. - Top - End - #1246
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Imgran View Post
    Wouldn't Smitty's special ability make him the perfect Medium/Mediator?

17. - Top - End - #1247
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mystic1110 View Post
    Wouldn't Smitty's special ability make him the perfect Medium/Mediator?
    Either that or he'd be the worst choice. Introducing a guy whose power is to create order to a God who basically embodies chaos might potentially be like introducing anti-matter and matter.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

18. - Top - End - #1248
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    Because Annie has shown obvious favoritism to the forest over the court, and as such cannot be a reliable medium between the two?
    Not only that, but annie has been proven to be most unruly. She constantly ignores the court's rules and just does whatever she feels like; in a way it makes her rather undisciplined. Heck and when it comes down to it she hasn't been taking her trips to the forest very seriously. So the Court has a few reasons to overlook her in favor of someone else.

Smitty may not have annie's charisma when dealing with those of the forest, but he is much more stable and his abilities can serve the court well when trying to maintain order between the forest and the court.

19. - Top - End - #1249
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    And because she treats both the court and the forest with complete disrespect?

And because Smitty would actually make kind of an awesome negotiator, once he's learned to not get all freaked out by the supernatural? Negotiators are people who can keep their heads cool, examine a situation from all angles and, most of all, maintain an emotional detachment.

For all Annie acts aloof, she's clearly shown herself unable to do any of those, especially the last. Seeing as Smitty possesses the drat awesome power of ORDER, he's perfect for the job.
    Meese Mobster by smuchmuch.

20. - Top - End - #1250
    Troll in the Playground

None of this is good. Especially not Annie's reaction.

And the 'Furthermore' suggests things are going to get worse.

21. - Top - End - #1251

Quote Originally Posted by slayerx View Post
    Not only that, but annie has been proven to be most unruly. She constantly ignores the court's rules and just does whatever she feels like; in a way it makes her rather undisciplined. Heck and when it comes down to it she hasn't been taking her trips to the forest very seriously. So the Court has a few reasons to overlook her in favor of someone else.

Smitty may not have annie's charisma when dealing with those of the forest, but he is much more stable and his abilities can serve the court well when trying to maintain order between the forest and the court.
    This. From what we've seen, Annie would make a pretty awful Medium. Sure, a lot of her flaws can be excused because of her age and personal circumstances, but that doesn't change the fact that the Court needs someone reliable and steady-headed right now.

That said, I can't help but feel that the [suit-guy... Head Master?] has his own agenda here, and it probably doesn't bode well for the future.

But I still say that Smitty is probably the best choice for the job, from what I've seen.

22. - Top - End - #1252
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by fergo View Post
    That said, I can't help but feel that the [suit-guy... Head Master?] has his own agenda here, and it probably doesn't bode well for the future.
    Well, everyone has their own agenda. However, given the Court's shown to be very focused on protocol and their voting, I'm leaning towards this is a Court decision, not a Headmaster agenda.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

23. - Top - End - #1253

But Kat's parents and Eglamore looked shocked. Presumably they'd have a say in the Court's decision-making process--if there was a vote, surely they'd know the result; if there was some other way of choosing, surely they'd at least suspect something was going on.

But no, they all look shocked.

Jones made a suggestion, and we can assume to [suit guy] personally. Surely she would have phrased her words differently is she made a statement to the decision-making members of the Court as a whole.

24. - Top - End - #1254
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I don't think Smitty's power is actually relevant for Mediation. It seems to influence probability, not an individual's opinion. Personality wise, he's somewhat spineless, making him a poor choice. He's not the best guy to stop a fight from breaking out, but if it does, all the punches land in statistically even locations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

25. - Top - End - #1255

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    I don't think Smitty's power is actually relevant for Mediation. It seems to influence probability, not an individual's opinion. Personality wise, he's somewhat spineless, making him a poor choice. He's not the best guy to stop a fight from breaking out, but if it does, all the punches land in statistically even locations.
    Yeah, I agree to an extent. Smitty is a distinctly type B personality, and when the fat hits the fire that can be a problem. And there's the Parley factor to consider as well. Smitty is fairly levelheaded. Parley is NOT.

26. - Top - End - #1256

I don't know guys.

Smitty isn't as forward or agressive as either of the girls, but I don't think that necessarily makes him 'type b'--at least to such an extent he wouldn't be able to be a god Medium.

Smitty is perfectly happy letting George be the dominant one in their relationship because it makes them both happy--it's what result he wants, and he chooses to take the back seat because that's what George wants.

That sort of attitude could be extremely useful as a mediator between the Court and the Forest. I don't think we can assume he'll be a push-over, or will be especially easy to manipulate by one party or the other;* I think that we've seen various personality traits that actually make him suitable for the role.

* I think this is going to happen anyway, but would probably happen to anyone in the role--especially someone of their age. The Court has its own agendas, its own secrets, and lots of experience in going about them by less-than straightforward ways. And Coyotee is literally a being that has spent millenia manipulating and tricking others.

27. - Top - End - #1257
    Ogre in the Playground

That 'Furthermore' concerns me. Why do I get the sinking feeling Annie might be punished rather severely, or even banished?

28. - Top - End - #1258
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    Either that or he'd be the worst choice. Introducing a guy whose power is to create order to a God who basically embodies chaos might potentially be like introducing anti-matter and matter.
    At the very least, he'll drive Cyote mad with his sheer dullness and ability to cut through complex situations.

Hey, maybe he's been selected as a punishment?

29. - Top - End - #1259
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by fergo View Post
    I don't know guys.

Smitty isn't as forward or agressive as either of the girls, but I don't think that necessarily makes him 'type b'--at least to such an extent he wouldn't be able to be a god Medium.

Smitty is perfectly happy letting George be the dominant one in their relationship because it makes them both happy--it's what result he wants, and he chooses to take the back seat because that's what George wants.

That sort of attitude could be extremely useful as a mediator between the Court and the Forest. I don't think we can assume he'll be a push-over, or will be especially easy to manipulate by one party or the other;* I think that we've seen various personality traits that actually make him suitable for the role.
    Except, you have to remember the Forest Creatures are not Human. They bare their teeth and growl at each other, for them posturing is not the action of an insecure bully, it's how one establishes one's strength at the negotiating table.
    It's not about being manipulated, it's about not being respected. If you don't walk in like you're ready to kick somebody's ass, then nobody will listen to you.

An Ideal Medium needs to be tough enough to make everybody listen to them, without offending anybody.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

30. - Top - End - #1260

Zombie

Are any of them good choice? Medium is kind of like ambassador - they have to represent the place they are from, but have good understanding and ability to work with the country or culture they are sent to. Has there been any indication that either Parley or Smitty have skills to relate to the forest?

Annie can relate to forest, and on that merit she qualifies; it is likely that Jones recommendation was based on that. That said, her ability to represent the court is marred by being a loose cannon. She might be too forest focused to be a good medium.

Medium committee? Appoint all 3 of them?