New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 3: Mystery Solved!

I wouldn't say she "Fed" her mother to the Gods. That's one interpretation, but it would be like saying
    "When your mother died you buried her, and then worms decomposed the corpse which grew grass which was eaten by a deer. You fed your mother to a deer".

Also, Everybody who dies goes to the Ether. It is the source of, at the very least, all magic, and at the most, Everything.

Annie dosn't seem disgusted or scared by Coyote's little lecture, she seems sad in that last panel, pitying the proud Ysingrim who must live every day knowing that the world only spins because of the minds of humans.

However, what about the Fairies or other creatures who get Human bodies and go to the Court. Are they fully "Human" in this sense, or do they simply get human skin.
    Last edited by BRC; 2012-08-09 at 11:29 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

2. - Top - End - #242
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, essentially, she just went back to the lifestream.
    Quote Originally Posted by on Dwarf Fortress succession games
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarf Fortress 0.40.01 bugs
    - If an adventurer shouts and nobody is around to hear it, the game crashes
    - War Dogs appear to run from themselves in terror
    - New tree generation frequently causes birds to explode

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

God dammnit, Tom.

Stop teasing us with Jones!
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

4. - Top - End - #244
    Troll in the Playground

Oh come on Coyote, you barely did anything unnatural and creepy with your stretchiness this update. You're slipping bro.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

5. - Top - End - #245
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    Oh come on Coyote, you barely did anything unnatural and creepy with your stretchiness this update. You're slipping bro.
    Angler Coyote not good enough?
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Suddenly hands!

7. - Top - End - #247
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by memnarch View Post
    I meant specifically today's update, not the whole chapter. He's done lots of weird stuff so far like that and also standing on top of his own head and the thing where he pretended to be a Picasso or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyger View Post
    Suddenly hands!
    Nah, that doesn't count. He does that often, it lost it's shock value.
    Last edited by Marnath; 2012-08-11 at 02:50 PM.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ettin in the Playground

Spongebob did it first.

9. - Top - End - #249

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    Spongebob did it first.
    Where is Coyote acting like Spongebob? If you aren't referencing anything in the comic, then it doesn't count.

10. - Top - End - #250

Nah, that doesn't count. He does that often, it lost it's shock value.
    The sudden addition of dramatic lighting is a bit unnerving.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Where is Coyote acting like Spongebob? If you aren't referencing anything in the comic, then it doesn't count.
    There's an episode with an Alaskan Bull Worm, where they defeat what they believe to be the worm in a cave, but is in fact only its tongue.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    The sudden addition of dramatic lighting is a bit unnerving.
    Well, stars are bright after all. It's not surprising that they glow. It's not the first time he's plucked a heavenly body out of the sky to play with so it's not really remarkable either.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ettin in the Playground

So if the ether is the minds of dead humans, does that mean "etheric technology" like Anja's computer is also powered by a forsaken child?

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt View Post
    So if the ether is the minds of dead humans, does that mean "etheric technology" like Anja's computer is also powered by a forsaken child?
    Well, technically. Also children with loving parents, and those loving parents, and everybody else ever.
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, I know, it's a TV Tropeism for when a beneficial device is powered by something horrifying.

So, breaking news, Coyote's a ****.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ok, out of all the things we've seen Coyote do, I did not guess that going away would be so freaky.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Troll in the Playground

I think Coyote is creepy in all of today's panels but none more than panel 2. You can see the mask of the harmless trickster slip just a bit, revealing the very dangerous madman lurking just beneath the surface. Just a reminder that even though he hasn't done anything bad to her yet, he is still very powerful and could do horrible things to her basically at will. The only thing stopping him is him.

All the silly behavior just feels like a front to me, I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. I'm willing to admit now that he probably does have a plan, but I still think he's doing what he's doing because he's a psychopath and not for any real reason.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I don't see why anything Coyote said would alter Annie's opinions towards Ysengrim, which means that, assuming Coyote is not just playing Mind Games here, Ysengrim will be changed now that Annie knows The Secret.
    [/Center]

19. - Top - End - #259
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    I don't see why anything Coyote said would alter Annie's opinions towards Ysengrim, which means that, assuming Coyote is not just playing Mind Games here, Ysengrim will be changed now that Annie knows The Secret.
    My theory is that Ysengrin will be cold/hostile to her now that she knows his shameful secret. Embarrassment can often mean you lash out at those closest to you. Alternatively, Coyote is just wrong(again.) I don't really know how well he understands concepts like friendship and emotion.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Orc in the Playground

There's also resentment. While Ysengrin has served Coyote faithfully for all these years, serving as his right hand, and even going against his own will for the sake of Coyote, all we see Coyote do to Ysengrin is deride him and ignore him. This even goes to the point of illustrating Ysengrin's weakness to Annie. Before now, Ysengrin could at least hold on to the idea that at least he knew what Coyote really was, and that Annie couldn't - but now, Coyote has revealed who he really is to Annie (supposedly). Now, Coyote has shown that everything in the bond between him and Ysengrin has been superceded by the bond between Coyote and Annie. Given that Ysengrin was already feeling weak and needed to be able to show his superiority, this puts him in an extremely vulnerable and resentful position.
    =Uncool-

21. - Top - End - #261
    Troll in the Playground

My theory is that Ysengrin will be cold/hostile to her now that she knows his shameful secret. Embarrassment can often mean you lash out at those closest to you. Alternatively, Coyote is just wrong(again.) I don't really know how well he understands concepts like friendship and emotion.
    I think people here sell Coyote short. For reasons of his own he deliberately fostered what should have been a near impossible friendship between Annie and Ysengrin, overcoming the latter's anger and hatred of humans and the former's emotional barriers, by putting them in situations where their natural tendencies and actions would draw them together. To be a trickster you have to understand what you are tricking; and so far, we haven't seen anything to suggest Coyote can't play all the beings - except Jones - around him like flutes. By telling Annie she's going to have trouble with Ysengrin he's made sure she'll do her best to keep things close between them. I repeat my view that Coyote is up to something, and everything he does, even his mistreatment of Ysengrin, is part of a plan to accomplish some goal. But I have no idea what it might be...

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ettin in the Playground

Theory as in evolution, or theory as in speculation? Probably the former.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Troll in the Playground

So, I stumbled into an earlier page today: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=499 (with a bonus on the next page).
    And I'm thinking that we're just getting now answers to that old newly-raised question. Whatever it means.
    Quote Originally Posted by on Dwarf Fortress succession games
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarf Fortress 0.40.01 bugs
    - If an adventurer shouts and nobody is around to hear it, the game crashes
    - War Dogs appear to run from themselves in terror
    - New tree generation frequently causes birds to explode

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt View Post
    Theory as in evolution, or theory as in speculation? Probably the former.
    On the one hand, I would hope that someone like Antimony would strive to use words in their proper contexts.

On the other, she's not very good at science.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

25. - Top - End - #265

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    On the one hand, I would hope that someone like Antimony would strive to use words in their proper contexts.
    That's right out, unfortunately. I doubt Coyote's story has been subject to experimentation and peer review.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ysengrin is a proud creature and places his pride from being favored by Coyote. He gets his power from Coyote, therefore if Coyote is flawed so is Ysengrin. Ysengrin bears Coyote's insults because he views coyote as a greater being to be revered.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Troll in the Playground

I wonder if Surma was ever friends with Ysengrin or if she spent all her time with Reynardine. From what I've seen of her she doesn't seem like she would have been, she seems to lack sincerity. For her, caring about them(or Rey at least) was her mask and underneath she didn't really care. Annie is the opposite of that. You can tell from today's update that she really does care about him. I think they are good friends, and he could definitely use one. Old grump.

Also, holy crap that's a big hand. I am always surprised by just how big a dude wolf-tree he really is. He could hurt her accidentally so easy. Good thing that despite his outward appearance, he's actually just a big teddy bear.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

Even a teddy bear is a bear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ettin in the Playground

.....Whens the plot going to begin?

I have noticed that......Nothings happening! This whole comic is a giant world-building arc, with occasional flashes of minor occurrences.

World building is alright, but recently everything has lost its claws.

Everything feels so cutesy, like everybody is having a giant feelings jam, or is pouty, and requires a feeling jam to make it right.

Can somebody help me see the flashes of ongoing story in here? That matter?

Sure there are a few ongoing story elements (Dad issues, Robots, and ghost lady and nature/ non-nature relationships) , but they don't feel important. Sure they TALK about importance of these things but its just TREATED in a "Meh- when the worldbuilding gets there" type way. Nothing is critical or vital, and im not very interested in the world anymore.

Can anybody show me wrong?

30. - Top - End - #270

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    stuff
    Each chapter is its own plot where they build on top of (sometimes) previous chapters. Lots of comics do things like this.

Schlock Mercenary? It's a mercenary company and they do stuff.
    Skin Horse? They're a government agency and they deal with things.
    Questionable Content? It's a bunch of people going about their lives with semi-whacky stuff.
    Sinfest? Same as above.

Also, I can't think of many comics (right now) that have a single comic-wide plot. OotS is one, Girl Genius is another, and Darths and Droids is the third.

Maybe it's just that the chapters are shorter than you'd like.