New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: DnD 3.5 Gestalt Duskblade

You could take Arcane Disciple for a domain that grants haste, like the Time domain, but you wouldn't be able to cast it until level 9, since that's when duskblades get 3rd level spells.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Elf - 10 Warblades 10 Eternal Blade // 13 Duskblade

But I think Ordained Champion makes for a slightly better use of channeling and Manuevers.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Haste is on the Celerity domain lists, so...yea, you can learn it as a Dusk/Archivist. It is 4th level, IIRC, though, so there is that. But it IS available.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    Haste is on the Celerity domain lists, so...yea, you can learn it as a Dusk/Archivist. It is 4th level, IIRC, though, so there is that. But it IS available.
    It's a first level Trapmaster spell, IIRC.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Randomguy View Post
    You could take Arcane Disciple for a domain that grants haste, like the Time domain, but you wouldn't be able to cast it until level 9, since that's when duskblades get 3rd level spells.
    *facepalm*. Or you could just get it from a scroll scribed by a cleric with the time domain and not bother wasting a feat. I can't believe I missed that. And it's 3rd level on the Time Domain, so you don't need to get it as 4th level on the Celerity domain.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Ahaa, that is money! Time Domain. That allows for a perfect addition of Haste to the collection. Its too bad that Spellforge (at least the version I have) does not really account for the totality of spells you can have.

Also good suggestions with Rainbow servant, spellsword, warblade and the like. There are a lot of good combinations here. These choices will definitely help if the DM has any issues with my first proposal! Thank you all, and if you can think of anything else please let me know. Character creation can be so much fun :)

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Can the Duskblade channel spells from other classes if they are not on his spell list? If that is true then you can unlock some nice stuff with the wizard, all those touch spells you normally can not channel because the limited spell list.
    Life before death.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

You can channel any melee touch spell ( actual range or enlightened fist shenanigans ) that you can cast. Not limited by class or arcane/divine type. You can arcane channel http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/etherealness.htm to give to all your party members. Or heck, http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/imprisonment.htm
    Last edited by animewatcha; 2012-09-07 at 12:29 AM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Ok so here is what I have worked on thusfar. (Would have loved to go with Dread Necro but no evil PCs in this campaign) Please feel free to comment on

Race: Human

Stats:

Spoiler
    Show
    Str 14
    Dex 14
    Con 14
    Int 18 (After bumps both at level 4 and 8)
    Wis 10
    Cha 10

Traits:

Spoiler
    Show
    Absent Minded
    Aggressive

Flaws:

Spoiler
    Show
    Vulnerable

Skill Tricks:

Spoiler
    Show
    Collector of Stories

Feats:

Spoiler
    Show
    Academic Priest
    Dodge
    Mobility
    Power Attack
    Knowledge Devotion
    Practiced Spellcaster (Duskblade)

Gained from classes:
    Combat Casting
    Scribe Scroll
    Spring Attack

Skill Ranks:

Spoiler
    Show
    Concentration 14
    Diplomacy 5
    GI 5
    K Arcana 14
    K A&E 1
    K Dung 14
    K Geo 1
    K Hist 1
    K Local 1
    K Nat 2
    K Nob 1
    K Rel 14
    K Plan 14
    Sk Tri 2 (to get 1)
    SpCr 14
    Tmbl 5

Classes:

Spoiler
    Show
    1 Duskblade/Archivist
    2 Duskblade/Archivist
    3 Duskblade/Archivist
    4 Duskblade/Archivist
    5 Duskblade/Archivist
    6 Swiftblade/Archivist
    7 Swiftblade/Archivist
    8 Swiftblade/Archivist
    9 Swiftblade/Archivist
    10 Swiftblade/Archivist
    11 Swiftblade/Archivist

Access to Swiftblade comes from Time Domain Haste Spell

Looking for comments on the progress so far and any ideas. I will also be posting spell ideas as well. One thing that concerned me was whether or not it was more favorable to max out Swiftblade for the level 10 Innervated Speed or is it more important to do a minor dip into Swiftblade and get the full attack ability from Duskblade earlier?

Once I have the classes down then the fun part will be targeting the right spells :)
    Last edited by Xaragos; 2012-09-13 at 05:49 AM.

10. - Top - End - #40

But you need Duskblade 13 for full attack channeling...This is like...mandatory.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xaragos View Post
    Ok so here is what I have worked on thusfar. (Would have loved to go with Dread Necro but no evil PCs in this campaign) Please feel free to comment on

Race: Human

Stats:

-snip-

Access to Swiftblade comes from Time Domain Haste Spell

Looking for comments on the progress so far and any ideas. I will also be posting spell ideas as well. One thing that concerned me was whether or not it was more favorable to max out Swiftblade for the level 10 Innervated Speed or is it more important to do a minor dip into Swiftblade and get the full attack ability from Duskblade earlier?

Once I have the classes down then the fun part will be targeting the right spells :)
    Dread Necromancers actually don't have to be Evil- they just have to be nongood when they start taking the class. They can be Neutral, and they never actually suffer any penalties from becoming Good.
    Last edited by Fable Wright; 2012-09-16 at 07:51 PM.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

12. - Top - End - #42

ElfWarriorGuy

I'd go with warblade. You need the same stats as duskblade. Could also try ranger for free twf instead of 2h.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DMofDarkness View Post
    Dread Necromancers actually don't have to be Evil- they just have to be nongood when they start taking the class. They can be Neutral, and they never actually suffer any penalties from becoming Good.
    I didn't know that. I will have to keep that in mind and check with the DM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hex0 View Post
    But you need Duskblade 13 for full attack channeling...This is like...mandatory.
    That is the big question I have with my current build. As I see it I have three basica options without completely changing this concept.

1) Full swiftblade on the duskblade side of gestalt to get the level 10 timestop and all the other nifty abilities that swiftblade had relatively early. This enables me to level up Archivist on the other side of gestalt and gain access to level 9 spells.

2) I could swap and do Swiftblade on the Archivist side, sacrificing getting high level divine spells, but being able to get both full attack channel and the benefits of SWB.

3)I also considered going 13 Duskblade and Swiftblade 7/Archivist 20.

What do you think?

*Note I will have to look into Warblade. Not too familiar with the class, and yes Psionics are out :(*

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

That is the big question I have with my current build. As I see it I have three basic options without completely changing this concept.

1) Full swiftblade on the duskblade side of gestalt to get the level 10 timestop and all the other nifty abilities that swiftblade had relatively early. This enables me to level up Archivist on the other side of gestalt and gain access to level 9 spells.

2) I could swap and do Swiftblade on the Archivist side, sacrificing getting high level divine spells, but being able to get both full attack channel and the benefits of SWB.

3)I also considered going 13 Duskblade and Swiftblade 7/Archivist 20.

What do you think?

*Note I will have to look into Warblade. Not too familiar with the class, and yes Psionics are out :(*
    Last edited by Xaragos; 2012-09-17 at 06:52 AM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I did think about Factotum instead of Archivist....and getting knowledge devotion, etc. The biggest drawback to that was the lack of spell selection available to channel.

On that note though, as you have a good point on the factotum's extra standard actions. How does that function when doing a full attack (in order to take advantage of the full attack option of Duskblade at level 13 to channel spells)? Can you do multiple full attacks if you add lets say...2 standard actions to your turn?

17. - Top - End - #47

How does that function when doing a full attack (in order to take advantage of the full attack option of Duskblade at level 13 to channel spells)? Can you do multiple full attacks if you add lets say...2 standard actions to your turn?
    99% sure you can't. Although you could use it to make a standard attack, which would still be channeling the spell you were attacking with. The channeled spell lasts till the end of the round.

Or at high level you could full attack channel attack in melee, take a 5 foot step, Quick Cast Disintegrate, use Font and blast another Disintegrate. Yesh. Going nova, much?

18. - Top - End - #48

ElfWarriorGuy

I did think about Factotum instead of Archivist....and getting knowledge devotion, etc. The biggest drawback to that was the lack of spell selection available to channel.

On that note though, as you have a good point on the factotum's extra standard actions. How does that function when doing a full attack (in order to take advantage of the full attack option of Duskblade at level 13 to channel spells)? Can you do multiple full attacks if you add lets say...2 standard actions to your turn?
    No, you need a belt of battle to grant yourself another full action, and additional standard would only be enough for 1 attack or 1 spell.

99% sure you can't. Although you could use it to make a standard attack, which would still be channeling the spell you were attacking with. The channeled spell lasts till the end of the round.

Or at high level you could full attack channel attack in melee, take a 5 foot step, Quick Cast Disintegrate, use Font and blast another Disintegrate. Yesh. Going nova, much?
    He's got archivist, why not have him cast flesh to salt instead?
    Last edited by LTwerewolf; 2012-09-20 at 07:34 AM.

19. - Top - End - #49

Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    He's got archivist, why not have him cast flesh to salt instead?
    I like this idea a LOT more!

There is also the idea of getting Spellwarp Sniper and Enlightened Fist in there to channel rays into touch attacks...

20. - Top - End - #50
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vilpich View Post
    I'd actually say psychic warrior. He lets you buff yourself up, then duskblade drops megatons of damage.
    Psion is better if you go this route; Int synergy and better powers.

But I agree that Archivist is the most powerful option here, while Factotum may well be the coolest. Action economy is less of a concern since the player will be full-attack-casting pretty soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

21. - Top - End - #51

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Action economy is less of a concern since the player will be full-attack-casting pretty soon.
    Though you can also use cunning surge to pounce as well, among other things.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Psion is better if you go this route; Int synergy and better powers.

But I agree that Archivist is the most powerful option here, while Factotum may well be the coolest. Action economy is less of a concern since the player will be full-attack-casting pretty soon.
    I wish Psionics was an option here as well. Thats a no no with the DM.

So would you recommend getting Duskblade 13 first for full attack casting before dipping into Swiftblade? Or would you recommend another PRC altogether?

23. - Top - End - #53

I wish Psionics was an option here as well. Thats a no no with the DM.

So would you recommend getting Duskblade 13 first for full attack casting before dipping into Swiftblade? Or would you recommend another PRC altogether?
    I'm not too familiar with Archivist, when could they caste haste?

You could do something like:

Spellthief 5/Duskblade 5
    Trapsmith 1/Duskblade 1
    Swiftblade 7/Duskblade 7
    etc.

This is my general SwiftDuskblade build. Play a Neraph (to auto-steal spells) and take Master Spellthief (for amazing caster level).

Edit: okay, looked up Archivist. If you can get Haste at level 5, I would do:

Archivist 5/Duskblade 5
    Swiftblade 8/Duskblade 8
    Swiftblade 2/Archivist 2
    Abjurant Champion 5/Archivist 5 (or whatever)
    Last edited by hex0; 2012-09-22 at 04:52 PM.