Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default AA's Kingmaker Part I: The Stolen Lands

KINGMAKER
    Part I: The Stolen Lands
    Out of Character Thread

Welcome to Kingmaker, everyone! Iím very pleased to be running this game, and excited to get things underway. Iíll flesh out this thread more, and use it to explain some of the unique rules of this adventure path, particularly those for exploration and, later, kingdom building. But for now, letís jump into things!

IN CHARACTER THREAD HERE.

{table=head]Player|Character|Class|Race|Alignment|Role
    Leviathan|Zinovia Surtova|Wizard|Human|Neutral Evil|Arcane spellcaster
    RocketMan|Ilya Surtova|Bard|Human|Chaotic Good|Support
    Winterfell|Viktor Markov|Paladin|Human|Lawful Good|Frontline warrior
    Blisstake|Tireas Slate|Ninja|Tiefling|Neutral|Melee damage, skills
    ???|Grigori Leonisov|Cleric|Human|Lawful Good|Healing, divine support
    FireberdGNOME|Katerina the Maid|Fighter/Rogue|Human|Lawful Good|Mobile melee[/table]

Experience Points: 9400/15000

Character Skills and Saves for DM Reference

Group Initiative Bonus: +2 (average of all initiatives).

Saves
    {table=head]|Ilya|Viktor|Zinovia|Tireas|Grigori|Katerina
    Fort|+1|+8|+2|+1|+4|+4
    Ref|+7|+4|+3|+5|+0|+7
    Will|+1|+6|+4|+4|+10|+0[/table]

Skills
    {table=head]|Ilya|Viktor|Zinovia|Tireas|Grigori|Katerina
    Perception|+3|+0|+1|+7|+4|+6
    Sense Motive|+9|+6|+1|+0|+10|+4
    Spellcraft|+6|-|+10|-|+8|-[/table]

Knowledges
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ilya: History +6, Nobility +6, Architecture +6, Geography +6, Local +6, Bardic Knowledge (all) +2

Viktor: Bodyguard, not scholar!

Zinovia: Arcana +10, Nature +10, Planes +10

Tireas: Nobility +4

Grigori: Nobility +9, Religion +9

Katerina: Local +4

Languages (in addition to Common
    Spoiler
    Show

Ilya: Elven

Viktor: What part of "warrior, not scholar," is not understood?!

Zinovia: Infernal, Draconic, Abyssal, Sylvan, Azlanti, Giant, Aklo, Ignan, Terran. Damned pedants.

Tireas: Abyssal

Exploration

Spoiler
    Show
    Basically, if you turn your attention to the map of the Greenbelt in my OP, you'll see that it is made up of hexes, each given an alphanumeric.

To travel through the Greenbelt, you move through these hexes. You can either simply walk through them, or you can explore. Your Charter demands that you explore them, but going through without doing so is faster.

When you explore a square, I'll uncover it on the map and you'll be able to see the terrain there for yourself. Walking through merely gets you whatever description I give of it. As well, by exploring a hex you'll come across points of interest that are, well, interesting. Oh and you'll get 25 XP per hex explored.

What I'd like from you guys for exploration is that you have a 10+ hex route planned out whenever you start to go exploring. That will make things go really fast. In fact, it would be a good idea to get an OOC discussion about your first route going now while we continue the wondrous RP in the IC thread.

Also, if you're curious about speed:

Area Map: The Greenbelt
    Spoiler
    Show

First thing's first here. Choose a colour for your character! Then you can head over to the IC. A link for that is above.

In your first IC post, give a description of your character, just so people who may not have read over everyone can visualize everyone.

Geography of the Stolen Lands

The Stolen Lands in Context
    Spoiler
    Show

The Stolen Lands have long formed a border region separating Brevoy in the north from the River Kingdoms. The region's fierce reputation for defeating any attempts to claim it has foiled most recent plans for colonization before they begin. Some of the volatile River Kings may have designs upon them, for, in their own precarious situations, they are always seeking new territory.

The Stolen Lands themselves are a band of territory comprising a startling diversity of terrains and fauna, which some scholars have theorized bears some relationship with the longstanding and mysterious fey presence in its woods and valleys.

The latest attempt to claim the Stolen Lands has been initiated by the Swordlords of Restov, involving simultaneous expeditions into all four regions of the Stolen Lands. Of them, the Greenbelt was deemed unimportant, and so left to a handful of unknown amateurs... while the Nomen Heights, Hooktongue Slough, and Glenebon Uplands have all been assigned to experienced mercenary companies.

The Greenbelt

Spoiler
    Show
    The region known as the Greenbelt consists of two areas: the vast, verdant forest known as the Narlmarches; and the hilly plains of the Kamelands.

The Narlmarches

The Narlmarches are a thick northern forest of tall, deep green conifers that grow almost side by side in places. It is ripe with game, and most of the few hunters and trappers who frequent the Stolen Lands do so in this area. Fey, as well, are relatively abundant in the woodlands.

The Kamelands

Comprising the other half of the Greenbelt, the Kamelands are windlashed plains of long golden grasses and short mosses and wildflowers alike. It is dotted by ridges, valleys, and hills. Of these, a few huge round mounds are known as kames, from which the area derives its name. Some say they are natural, but other speak of ancient markers or burial mounds, or even more fantastic tales.
    Last edited by ApatheticAbacus; 2013-02-20 at 04:21 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: AA's Kingmaker Part I: The Stolen Lands

I'm really excited for this game! Looks like it's going to be a fun group! Ilya will speak in Medium Turquoise!
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

Characters: Jensi Jiri in Curse of the Crimson Throne Parts I, II, III, and IV, and Zivian Thiel in The King's Men.

Spoiler: Old Games
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Also excited for this game. ApatheticAbacus is a great DM, so I have high hopes for it.

Zinovia shall speak in dark red, I think. If someone else would like that colour, though, I have others that would be just as good.
    Last edited by Leviathan; 2012-06-03 at 01:24 PM.
    Fantastic avatar by Ceika.

Games stuff:

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

I don't have time to do a full IC post yet, but Viktor will speak in Dark Orange. I'm really excited to get in and get started!
    LGBTitP

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Tireas Slate will speak in Slate Gray.

Interested to be a co-player with Leviathan, and playing with RocketMan again

Edit: Hey, before I post, have any of the characters openly confronted or discussed Tireas for being a Tiefling? I could completely imagine no one doing that out of either uneasy politeness or disinterest (Zinovia).
    Last edited by Blisstake; 2012-06-03 at 02:32 PM.

DMs get experience too, you know. Every time a player dies, they level up.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, hey AA, Tireas actually has a +6 to perception. And I forgot to put in languages; he's also got Abyssal for being a Tiefling (though he doesn't even realize he speaks it yet).

Edit: And +3 to will total, 1 from the Bastard trait.
    Last edited by Blisstake; 2012-06-03 at 03:13 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

@ Blisstake: Alright, I'll make those changes when I have a moment.

As for RP, I think it's probably best to assume that the journey has been unremarkable for any RP interactions. Probably it's been fairly quiet too talking-wise. So if someone wants to confront Tireas, they can do it IC now, or whenever would be suitable.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

The words of the holy man will be a soothing and refreshing green.

Estanos has a chest, and a pair of caged birds, that he owns but would not likely have carried the whole way (if possible). Would there have been a mounted PC willing to schlep it, or is there the possibility for having hired a cart down to Oleg's?

Strategy Talking Time: I assume that Viktor should be the recipient of the Magic Weapon spell I've got on me at the start of each combat. Following that, I had been planning on casting 'Bless'; however, that's a morale bonus and present stacking stickiness. Is our bard planning on playing encouraging music? If he is, I'll likely grab 'Protection from Evil' to toss on our Paladin-tank as well. I would also like any suggestions on spell load out anyone wants to give.

As for interactions outside the party: Estanos can drop a pretty serious diplomacy bomb, but will have difficulties with any sort of dialogue which involves dishonesty. He won't really lie. So if we're trying to parlay with some hostiles, that's Estanos. If we're trying to convince some hostiles that we're really just the weekly grog delivery, that's not Estanos.
    Last edited by Oh My God; 2012-06-03 at 04:18 PM. Reason: More

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Sure, I think it's fair that a wagon could have been hired to carry a few things. Just don't sweat that stuff for now.

While you're talking strategy, it would be helpful to get two things from you...

1. A standard marching order. First, for single-file, and then for double-file.

2. A watch order for resting in the wilderness. Assume eight hours of resting per night. Zinovia needs to sleep through all of that in order to re-prepare spells.

10. - Top - End - #10

Zinovia I intend to be mainly a damager and controller, so I'll happily leave the buffing to Estanos, except for really nice ones that are only on the wizard spell list like haste. Not sure how well doing a damage wizard is going to go, but we'll see soon

Edit: In regard to AA's remarks:

1. Proposed single-file marching order, from front to back: Viktor, Tireas, Estanos, Zinovia, Ilya.

Proposed two abreast marching order, from front to back: Viktor and Tireas, Zinovia and Estanos, Ilya.

2. For the watch order, I think two hours each for Ilya, Tireas, Viktor, and Estanos. The order doesn't seem particularly important, though Tireas and Estanos have better perception. So maybe they should go... whenever random encounters are most likely.
    Last edited by Leviathan; 2012-06-03 at 05:21 PM.

Games stuff:

11. - Top - End - #11

Ilya will use his music whenever it seems worthwhile. Until 7th level it's a standard action to start, so he'll use it on big fights or whenever we've got a round or two to prepare first. Honestly, it's probably more efficient to just go for the Rapid Shot straight away on smaller fights.

My suggested marching orders:

Single-file:
    1. Viktor - the tank should go first.
    2. Tireas - it sucks to have to move 20 feet from the back of the line when you want to get into melee.
    3. Zinovia - the squishiest.
    4. Estanos - by process of elimination
    5. Ilya - ranged, and with 18 AC not likely to get splattered easily.

Double-file:
    1. Viktor and Tireas
    2. Zinovia and Estanos
    3. Ilya
    Last edited by RocketMan; 2012-06-03 at 05:22 PM.
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

Characters: Jensi Jiri in Curse of the Crimson Throne Parts I, II, III, and IV, and Zivian Thiel in The King's Men.

Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Tireas is actually really squishy. I might eventually pick up toughness, but he's basically just going to do as much flanking damage as possible until he's picked off

Still, the single file order makes sense. For two across I'd suggest:

1. Viktor

2. Estanos and Tireas

3. Ilya and Zinovia

13. - Top - End - #13

Blisstake's two-across marching order makes sense. Scratch mine.

For watch duty, let me first say that Zinovia is lucky (), and then move on to something constructive.

It occurs to me that tieflings have darkvision, so Tireas should definitely take one of the two blocks in the middle. I'd say the order should be (from earliest watch to latest): Viktor, Tireas, Estanos, Ilya.

Games stuff:

14. - Top - End - #14

Yes, Blisstake's march order makes sense to me as well, as does Leviathan's watch order.
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm fine with either marching order, though I think Blisstake's is probably better. IC, Viktor would probably rather be closer to Ilya, but it makes too much sense to do this any other way.
    LGBTitP

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

So, since Ilya will be playing bass during the battles, I'm thinking about switching Bless out for Protection from Evil for definites then. Agreement? Thoughts?

I like the marching orders that are generally liked; the watch order doesn't seem like it matters too much, random encounters being by their nature random.

17. - Top - End - #17

I would say that's probably a good idea. Protection from Evil is a nice thing to have.

Also, AA, I goofed up on Ilya's Spellcraft. Your table (and my sheet, up until now) said it wasn't a Bard class skill. It is, and thus should be +5, rather than +2.
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

I've done your group initiative now, tentatively. Right now it sits at +1, and I've done it using the mean, rounded down. It's worth a discussion, though, whether you want to use the mean or median for initiative. Mean will, for better and for worse, though largely better as you get higher dex, let one or two people disproportionately affect the result. On the other hand, median nets you a higher result currently, and might for a while. Any preference?
    Last edited by ApatheticAbacus; 2012-06-04 at 12:37 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Wait, let me get my math textbook!

Okay, hmm, Right now Tireas is the Median value, but both he and Zinovia would need to boost their Dex (or take II) to increase the overall modifier.

If we do it through mean, we'd need a total of +5 initiative across everyone for the overall to be increased (except I think we're at a fraction now, so maybe less for the first increase?)

I hate math.

20. - Top - End - #20

Right now we're at +6 as out cumulative initiative. So 6/5=1.2 Rounded down to 1. That means we'd need to get our cumulative initiative to +10 to get 10/5=2.

To get the median initiative, both Tireas and Zinovia would have to move their initiative up. If only one does, the other becomes the median and the score remains the same. I don't plan on getting too much dex for Zinovia, so I think for that reason, mean seems better.

Games stuff:

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm voting for mean initiative. In the long run it will be better. Also, I think Estanos' IC plan is good. I have a question for AA, is it possible to close the gates after the bandits are inside? Would there be any place to hide by the gates?
    LGBTitP

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

@ Winterfell: You can certainly close the gate once the bandits have come inside. To do so, you'd have to be on any square right beside the gate. That means it might not be possible to do it while hiding. You'd first need to move to one of those squares, and then with a DC 10 Str check you can close the gates as a standard action. If you fail the Str check, it takes a full-round.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sorry, I assumed I'd have to be standing by the gate to close it. But will the bandits see Viktor before they enter if he's doing that? Or will he have to move from somewhere else to the gate once they enter and hope he passes the strength check?
    LGBTitP

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

The bandits will see Viktor if he just stands out in the open, which is what he'd have to do to close the gate from any square but one of those between A2 and the wall. There are two squares there from which he can take a five-foot step as a free action to reach the gate (one directly under the first bed on the left of A2, and one under the first nightstand), and then a standard action to attempt to close it.

It seems there are two plans on the table. Let's get a quick vote.

1. OMG's plan raised by Estanos IC: 1. Zinovia, Viktor, and Estanos between A2 and the wall. Ilya on the wall above the gate. Tireas between A3 and the east wall (I believe).

2. Leviathan's plan raised by Zinovia IC: Attack, with Viktor and Tireas on one side, Zinovia on the other, Ilya on the wall, and Estanos where ever he can best support.

I assume we have 1 for each side, and Winterfell has said he prefers plan 1. So if we could get a majority on one side or the other, we can head onwards.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll go with plan 1.

26. - Top - End - #26

I'm voting for Plan 1 as well.
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

Show

27. - Top - End - #27

Yeah, I think plan 1 might be better than mine Let's go with that one.

Edit: And to be clear, despite sitting on the bed, Zinovia is still very much open to RP with anyone who should wander in
    Last edited by Leviathan; 2012-06-05 at 12:21 AM.

Games stuff:

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Effective writing on making Tireas really, really creepy.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Tireas creeps me out, which is great, and I am picturing Zinovia's voice as a female Darth Vader when she goes into her coughing fits where... she talks... like this.

30. - Top - End - #30

Yes, I'm having a hard time right now deciding whether Tireas or Zinovia is creepier. Right now I'm probably going to go with Zinovia my a slight margin, though I have to say I loved her medicine scene Leviathan, it did a great job humanizing her more
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

Show