Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: AA's Kingmaker Part I: The Stolen Lands

And I may as roll Knowledge (Nobility) too: (1d20+9)[11]

2. - Top - End - #122
    Dwarf in the Playground

Viktor doesn't need any of it either, so my vote also goes to selling it all.
    LGBTitP

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, we have a couple of things to do now. Any suggestions on what path we should take?

DMs get experience too, you know. Every time a player dies, they level up.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

If you want to change paths, you're welcome to come up with a new route, but until then, I'll be going off the one RocketMan proposed a while ago.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Orc in the Playground

I'm still in favor of the path we'd agreed on; we don't actually know where these 'quests' -are- in the big, empty map so we may as well just methodically proceed to fill it in. Once we execute that path, I'm thinking we should map the northwestern quadrant. The Fallout series has taught me that the further south you go, the more likely it is you'll be ambushed by a giant group of monsters with miniguns.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Barbarian in the Playground

I agree with OMG. We may as well proceed methodically. And yes, we know the Stag Lord is somewhere in the south, and metagaming tells us we should probably do everything else before we confront him .
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

Characters: Jensi Jiri in Curse of the Crimson Throne Parts I, II, III, and IV, and Zivian Thiel in The King's Men.

Spoiler: Old Games
    Show

7. - Top - End - #127
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Looks like you're wrapping up at Oleg's. I will move things on to your exploration later tonight, so if you want to post more at Oleg's get them in before then.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Hey folks, let's try to keep things to a daily posting rate if possible. If you're bored with whatever's going on IC or otherwise aren't motivated to post, give me a heads up; I'm happy to change things to make the game interesting.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Orc in the Playground

I can't speak for the others, but I know that I never don't (arrgh, double negatives) post from boredom (this is probably the most fun I'm having); its either because I'm either waiting on a DM reply, or there's just nothing I can post other than," Estanos stands there, looking handsome, adroit, and pacifistic as ever." I could, and would, post that but I worry it would rapidly become wearisome.

Sometimes there's just not something to do; I am personally comfortable with that.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Oh, for sure. I'm just very aware that lots of PBP games sink after the initial adrenaline rush of getting in and getting to play a new character fades away. We've got a good team here, but I'd much rather change things up than have the game die. So do tell me if there's something I could be doing better.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Orc in the Playground

I'm thinking of writing up little snippets from Estanos' journal, and posting it here in the OOC thread; sort of a 'window in the head of the priest' thing. I thought it might be a nice little 'extra' thing we could all do, which gives us something to do that's fun and connected to the game while we're waiting for other people to post. What do people think?

On the lighter side; I'm looking at the stats for Trap Door Spiders.

Sweet mother of god. It can one hit drop any of us.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

I think journals sound like a cool idea. Might be there's some bonus EXP in that sort of thing if they end up being interesting Just don't let it take away from the IC.

And I'm not that cruel! This creature doesn't actually use whatever stats you're looking at. Well, OK, maybe it could one-hit into the deep negatives if it got lucky.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

Plenty of creatures can.

I remember the druid who took 30 damage from a maximum damage crit. They were up against an advanced vulture. It was somewhat hilarious, if not disturbing.

Oh, hey, speaking of journals, I forgot about Tireas' letter. Could you put it here or PM it to me, AA?

14. - Top - End - #134
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well, Viktor is a brave man if he charges despite all this talk of dying.

As for journals, I think I could stand to write some for Zinovia. It's a novel idea, maybe one after each milestone in the adventure?
    Fantastic avatar by Ceika.

Games stuff:

15. - Top - End - #135
    Orc in the Playground

Is there a specific definition for 'milestone' in Pathfinder? Or are you just saying,' After something cool'?

16. - Top - End - #136

No, there isn't any actual term. I basically did just mean after something cool and/or important happens.

Games stuff:

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

Critical Confirmation:

(1d20+8)[9]
    (1d8+7)[10] extra damage

Nope!
    Last edited by Blisstake; 2012-06-27 at 08:48 AM.

18. - Top - End - #138

I like the journal idea, though I'm not sure Ilya's would be terribly interesting. Probably just him whining about various things that happened.
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

Characters: Jensi Jiri in Curse of the Crimson Throne Parts I, II, III, and IV, and Zivian Thiel in The King's Men.

Show

19. - Top - End - #139
    Orc in the Playground

I think that would be hilarious.

" 10th of Gozran, 4708 - Dear Diary, today an icky giant spider tried to eat my best friend in the whole wide world! Things like this never happened back at the palace! I miss my hot chocolate and kittens and pillows and people who were paid to fan me. The Greenbelt is stinky, and stinks, and is full of stinkers. Sincerely, Ill-Ill."
    Hunting Blackpool Hall | OOC
    The Dream of Cormanthr | OOC

GITP Fantasy Blood Bowl Cup - Season III - Now Recruiting!
    My Team: Tinw United ( Pro Elf - CRAZY )
    Season 2: 5-5-2 Cup Semi-Finalists

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oh My God View Post
    Things like this never happened back at the palace!
    Sounds like they don't know how to have a good time back at the palace

21. - Top - End - #141
    Orc in the Playground

Excerpts from...
    The Journal of Estanos ibn Rafiq ibn Omar ibn Jacin ibaq Cayin mar Nasra.
    Vol. I

3rd of Gozran, 4708:
    Spoiler
    Show

One day in the Greenbelt 'under our belt' if the pun can be forgiven, and we've already done something great; a small outpost defended from a bandit incursion. Handily done, too. I may have had some doubts about the competence of my fellows for a stint out in the wilds ( the silks Ilya is attired with are not what one should wear in the bush ), but they've proved themselves, and more capable than I could have hoped for.

Speaking of them; my companions are 'interesting' in the extreme. Though they seem to travel as a pair, Viktor and Ilya puzzle me. I understand that this sort of 'duo' is not unusual in the world of adventurers, but nonetheless, it surprises me to see it in action. I wonder at what has forged such a bond of friendship between them; their mannerisms and behaviour do not suggest much similiar in their origins. Tireas and the sorceress I am less certain of; for one thing, they seem too comfortable with taking life. I was horrified when it became clear that the life or death of Marrin mattered as much to them as eating breakfast did.

To be fair, I have no idea what has made them the ways they are. I can safely assume that Tireas has experienced extensive trauma as a result of his ancestry; the racism I have seen him subjected to in even the few days I've been around him is shocking. That even barbarians can treat a man so poorly for something as entirely out of his control as he condition of birth horrifies me, and only underscores the work that must be done here in the savage North.

Zinovia, however, is an entirely separate story. She seems willfully cruel, often for no purpose except for its own sake. I know, in my heart of hearts, that this too has a root cause. I remain convinced that though she is the proximate cause of suffering, that she suffers as well, and that my divinely mandated wrath must be reserved for the cause that is ultimate; whatever set her feet on a path of anger and hate.

I must open my heart to the suffering of others. - Estanos

6th of Gozran, 4708:
    Spoiler
    Show

I feel like I've made some progress with Marrin. I feel confident now that he has not repented solely to save his own skin, but that he genuinely feels a calling to step out of the shadow that has marred his life to this point. I plan on keeping him here, in the Greenbelt, where I can continue to observe his progress and offer guidance and advice. I doubt the authorities in Brevoy will show him the mercy that his honest conversion requires.

The other bandits I'm less hopeful for. They seem to positively relish the evil that they have done. I am almost certain that they'll be hung upon their return to Brevoy. I must confess that I am tempted to send along a plea of clemency with them, not so much as to spare their lives, but so as to ensure that they receive punishment commesurate with their crimes. I know that this is vengence, and not justice, but nonetheless; my internal voice sits there, whispering it. I have, and will, resist this call to darkness.

The dogma teaches me that I must be strong, and see to it that unrepetant evil has no chance at causing further harm. But, like much else, I am finding that implementing a philosophy is much more complicated than simply studying it. Not a surprise, no, but the degree of difficulty is what shocks me. I know about confirmation bias; I know that people will tend to cling to the ways they are familiar with. But, again, I'd never seen it happen in spite of such obvious evidence. How much clearer can a failure state be than facing execution for your ill deeds?

It feels like I'm coming to know the face of evil, and it isn't fanged and scaled.

I must work harder for the salvation of others. - Estanos

Appendix:
    Spoiler
    Show

In the back of the book are various sketches, done in a rough hand. While its obvious that the person who comitted the drawings lacks any formal training in art, it is equally obvious that he (or she) possesses at least some native talent. The collection of sketches includes ( but is not limited to ):

* Oleg's Post, exterior, interior of a few buildings, view from the wall
    * Rough facial sketches of Oleg, Svetlana, Zinovia, Tireas, Viktor, Ilya, and Marrin
    * The Bandit's River camp
    * A pair of deer, one grazing

In addition, there are a series of exceptionally rough 'maps' of the areas they've cleared and explored.

If there -is- bonus XP, I would vote for it simply being split across the entire party. Share and share alike, I say. Prevents the trouble of us having different XP tracks off by (generally) trivial amounts, encourages teamwork, and makes it in everyone's best interest to give positive feedback on awesome stuff ( since that will tend to cause the creation of more awesome stuff ).

A few things in closing; I'm in favour of just having a pile of party gold instead of individual totals. Anyone else interested in pooling gold, or are we in favour of keeping our piles separate? Also, I asked whether there was a 'magic item' depot in Brevoy, or if purchasing magic items was impossible ( or how it was to be handled ). What's the answer on that?

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

Nice journal entries

I say one stash of gold. We could total each person's deductions from it, but overall I think we can be fair about distributing it without going into every transaction.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

The map has been updated, if you'd like a more visual view of your journey to date.

As for journal EXP, it will definitely be added to the group total. I don't want to create a level gap over something like that, even if only a brief one.

Edit: @Blisstake: Probably easiest regarding Tireas' letter if I put it in IC in your next block of travel time. It slipped my mind this time, so after you leave this hex, you'll see it.
    Last edited by ApatheticAbacus; 2012-06-27 at 10:57 PM.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Orc in the Playground

Do any of the players have any objection to us hauling Marrin the Ex-Bandit with us as we travel? I see his usefulness as a mobile hitching post and I nod to myself, going," Mm-hmm."

25. - Top - End - #145

I have no objection to bringing Merrin along for the ride, though it strikes me as a bit of a Red Shirt type of scenario waiting to happen if AA feels in a killing mood.

Anyways, Zinovia's diary entries:

Spoiler
    Show
    5 of Gozran, 4708

I have never spent so much time on horseback. They are contemptible, flea-ridden beasts who I would happily leave to the wolves were the alternative not even less desirable. Their every move sends pain shooting through me, and makes my head spin. I do not think my companions have been this yet, though; if I have my way, they will not.

I am certain that the boyish fop, Ilya, will not. Viktor is a brute, and one who will not even use his considerable prowess at violence for his own consistent advantage, but he is misguided, not dim-witted. Estanos, the priest, sees much and knows much. I admire him, in a way, but his path and mine are different, though both difficult to walk. The tiefling, Tireas, is a blank slate. I begin to wonder whether his surname is not a joke that he secretly keeps. Regardless, he keeps his cards close to his chest, to use the metaphor of a crude gambler. That I can appreciate. But it also makes me wary.

We must all play our parts in this venture. Death or injury to one of them would be inconvenient.

8th of Gozran

This land seems infested with bandits, a veritable hive of unwashed men, and, to my shame, a few unwashed women, living a sad life as outlaws. I do not understand this: how is it that they are content to live in such a pathetic state is beyond me. Is it not better to grasp at something greater than a forest camp and, failing, perish, than to persevere in obscurity? That is the choice I have made. I would rather die than become nothing, as these men have done. I hold by that decision. I will not fail.

Games stuff:

26. - Top - End - #146
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Ooh, more journals! Exciting!

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

Tireas' Notes

Spoiler
    Show
    Tireas doesn't have so much of a journal as a collection of observations, ideas, and sketches written without much regard for organization. The writing is cramped and spikey, with a few words misspelled.

Page 1: Estanos
    Connections: Likely none of nearby interest
    Relationships: Unknown.
    Strengths: Useful divine magic, including healing.
    Weakness: Slow. Hesitant to kill.

Page 3: Ilya
    Connections: Issian Merchants. Apparently some dealings with noble houses
    Relationships: Friends with Viktor. No known romantic interests
    Strengths: Some magic. Decent with bow.
    Weakness: Innattentive, lacks force
    (Tireas only has a single sketch for the others, but has crossed out multiple attempts at drawing Ilya)

Page 6: Viktor
    Connections: Same as Ilya. Mentioned something about Prince's saftely. Should ask about noble connections.
    Relationshiops: Friends with Ilya. No known romantic interests
    Strengths: Strong and tough
    Weakness: Honorbound and foolhardy. Slow in armor

Page 8: Zinovia
    Connections: Some with Surtovas. Probably not many, but worth investigating.
    Relationships: None. Romantic interests seems incredibly unlikely.
    Strengths: Ruthless. Has powerful magic.
    Weakness: Slow, Frail.

Page 10: Magic
    Zinovia: Silver Darts, Fire Hands, Sonic Blast, Summon Dog, Magic Armor
    Estanos: Heal, Shield, Magic Sword

Page 27: Oleg + Svetlana
    Noncombatants. Delayed guard response suggests little important connections. Likely to change when area becomes a nation. Keep on good side. Use Svetlana to get to Oleg if needed.

Last Page: (There are a number of scratches here, one for each enemy Tireas has killed.)
    Last edited by Blisstake; 2012-06-29 at 09:35 PM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

And yet another!

To the question on magic items: the short answer is that Oleg can procure them for you by sending away to larger cities in Brevoy for them, but he'll need the money up front, while Bokken can make potions, and perhaps a few other consumables if you ask nicely.

Edit: Also, as this is the last hex on your planned route, let's get another one planned out for after you're done with this hex IC.
    Last edited by ApatheticAbacus; 2012-06-29 at 09:40 PM.

29. - Top - End - #149

New proposed route (with the intention of exploring the area west of Oleg's Post now): G5 -> F5 -> D5 -> C4 -> D3 -> D2 -> E1 -> D1 -> C2 -> C3 -> B4
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

Show

30. - Top - End - #150

I think you missed E5 (between F5 and D5), but besides that, I like it.

Also, does anyone mind if Zinovia takes the wand and the spellbook? Not sure about the ring. Probably get it appraised and sell it, unless someone wants it for decorative purposes?
    Last edited by Leviathan; 2012-06-30 at 12:02 PM.

Games stuff: