New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: AA's Kingmaker Part I: The Stolen Lands

Seeing the panic in the eyes of a caged, captured, and obviously tortured being, Estanos is filled with that potent mixture of anger and empathy that is the watchword for followers of Sarenrae. He advances on the cave extremely slowly, his open hands held in front of him to demonstrate his unarmed state and to indicate his peaceful intentions.

" Ssssh, don't worry. Don't worry," Estanos cajoles in a soft tone as he approaches the cage, not far off from how someone would talk to a frightened deer. " We're going to let you out of that cage. We're not here to hurt you. You're going to be alright."

Reaching the cage, Estanos squats down to be at eye level with the creature, trying to minimize the threat his size presents to it." But you need to be calm first. Can you do that? Can you be calm? "

Spoiler
    Show

Using Touch of Glory on myself for a +2 to the check.
    Taking Ten if I'm allowed to, for a final check of 24. Else..
    Diplomacy:(1d20+14)[17]
    Last edited by Oh My God; 2012-07-28 at 07:22 AM.
    Hunting Blackpool Hall | OOC
    The Dream of Cormanthr | OOC

GITP Fantasy Blood Bowl Cup - Season III - Now Recruiting!
    My Team: Tinwë United ( Pro Elf - CRAZY )
    Season 2: 5-5-2 Cup Semi-Finalists

2. - Top - End - #392
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zinovia follows Estanos, though the wizardess rolls her eyes beneath her shadowy cowl at the priest's display of sympathy towards the caged creature. Deciding that the kobold may not even speak common, she translates, though her draconic is far more cutting than Estanos' original tone.
    Fantastic avatar by Ceika.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Orc in the Playground

Zinovia's translation is helpful, but not necessary: the kobold speaks a broken Common, as Estanos' words calm the creature down. "You no blue-mite-devils. You pink-skins, also not know what you are," it says to Tireas. "Kill mite-devils, yes? Me Sootscale kobold, Mikmak. Friend? Me come with others to save god from mite-devils. They steal god, take him away. Without god, Sootscales doomed!" The kobold seems genuinely terrified at the prospect. "You help me get god back?"

4. - Top - End - #394
    Troll in the Playground

"They have a god down here?" Tireas asks, more amused than anything. "I didn't realize how easily gods are captured by small blue creatures. Must be a hidden weakness or something. Wait a second..."

Tireas puts his hand to his chin, evidently trying to recall something. "Weren't we supposed to kill the kobolds, too?"

Spoiler: Characters
    Show
    Tarok and Kamo, level 6 half-orc ranger, bunyip-slayer, and all around badass.

I like half-orcs

Retired:

Aldrin Cress, level 10 human sorcerer. Hero of Korvosa.
    Tireas Slate, level 4 tiefling ninja. Eternally scheming.

DMing: Dragon's Demand

5. - Top - End - #395
    Orc in the Playground

The kobold having proven amenable to reason, the priest requests," Viktor, can you manage the cage? "

While someone handles the problem of the kobold's prison, Estanos reaches out and places a companionable hand on the shoulder of the tiefling. " We've been asked to eliminate any threat they might pose, Tireas. A far cry from being tasked with their murders. I am guessing that we will be able to find common ground with them, after all. Not every problem is a nail, my friend. "

That particular homily delivered, he looks back over to the kobold," Now, Mikmak. Can you tell us a little bit more about your trouble? How your god came to be stolen? What it looks like?"

6. - Top - End - #396
    Orc in the Playground

"Your god is missing?" Viktor says as he heaves to break the cage's bars apart, looking unusually bemused by the situation. "I don't know what kind of god can be stolen, but rest assured my friend, if we find him in the course of killing the blue devils, we'll give him back to you."

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not sure what is needed to open the cage. If possible, Viktor will take 10 on a strength check to wrench open the cage. If not, he'll attempt to break it with his sword.
    LGBTitP

7. - Top - End - #397
    Orc in the Playground

Mikmak falls at Viktor's feet as the paladin hacks open the kobold's cage, in a rather pathetic display of gratitude. He wails in despair when questioned about his god. "God this tall," he says, spreading his scaly hands apart to a distance of perhaps a foot. "Made of gold. Shaman Tartuk say god is named Old Sharptooth. Old Sharptooth kill us all if not get him back. That what Tartuk say."

8. - Top - End - #398
    Troll in the Playground

"Not exactly a god I would want to worship," comments Tireas, his weapon now relaxed at his side. "But if we find it, that gives us a bargaining chip for infiltrating their base later. I think they wouldn't hurt us if they have their god with us."

He doesn't seem to care that he's suggesting the plan right in front of Mikmak.

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

9. - Top - End - #399
    Orc in the Playground

Estanos can't seem to decide which troubles him more; the fact that Tireas is still obviously planning on heaping up kobold bodies in piles, or the fact that Mikmak is so convinced that his (likely false) god will kill him to the point that he obviously risked death to try to retrieve it.

" What else does this Tartuk say about Old Sharptooth? What are his strictures? His rules?"

10. - Top - End - #400
    Orc in the Playground

"Rules are do what Tartuk says. Those are rules. Tartuk know what Old Sharptooth want. Not want Old Sharptooth get angry." Mikmak has what passes among kobolds for an earnest expression plastered on his reptilian face.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ilya giggles profusely as the kobold speaks of his god, 'Old Sharptooth.' Never the most fervent believe, the young man cannot restrain himself from laughing. Finally stopping, he speaks, rather gently. "Mikmak, I think you should worry about yourself first. You are injured. Perhaps Father Estanos can help you? In any event, I doubt Old Sharptooth will be angry at this short delay," Ilya says, giggling again and shooting his companions a significant glance. It's obvious the bard believes the god to be a statue, and nothing more.
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

Characters: Currently applying to games!

12. - Top - End - #402

"What a dim-witted creature," Zinovia says with a chuckle that is surprisingly hearty, considering her condition. "Tireas is right, though; we can use their superstition to our advantage." She seems to ignore the fact that the kobold stands right in front of her.

"As for this one, I say let him go with tales of our rescue. If he survives long enough to tell his tribe, then we may be more welcome than otherwise."

13. - Top - End - #403
    Orc in the Playground

The priest shoots Zinovia a look. " Mikmak, you're welcome to stay with us until we're rid of this place. Now, does this hurt? How about this?" Estanos inquires of the kobold as he examines the injuries he has sustained, trying to figure out to what degree he should deploy the blessing of his own goddess.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Orc in the Playground

"Indeed, stay with us if you wish it, or go with the blessing of Abadar," Viktor says, concurring with Estanos. Then, whispering to his companions alone, he continues. "Our charter says that we must end the threat from the kobolds, yet this one does not seem overly threatening. Perhaps we need not exterminate them."

Spoiler
    Show
    Detect Evil on Mikmak!
    LGBTitP

15. - Top - End - #405

"Indeed," Ilya says, voice overladen with gravitas. "You had best accompany us, Mikmak, or else we might miss your god, for I admit to having little experience in recognizing the Divines when they walk the earth." The bard's mouth twitches slightly as he finishes, battling back a smirk.
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

16. - Top - End - #406
    Troll in the Playground

Tireas smirks, no longer taking any facet of the situation seriously, adds, "I'm sure you'll know when he smites you for your heresy, Ilya. I may never look at a statue again without trembling."

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

17. - Top - End - #407
    Orc in the Playground

Mikmak picks up a bar from his shattered cage, hefting it as an improvised club. "Me fight! Get god! Old Sharptooth like me then, not make scales turn brown and fall off.

"But me not stupid! You no believe in god, fine. You get for Mikmak, be friends with Sootscales, fine. Old Sharptooth make your scales turn brown and fall off, serve you right."

Estanos
    Spoiler
    Show
    Mikmak has lost about 4 hit points.

Spoiler
    Show
    Once Mikmak has been healed, or not, I'll assume everyone is fine with continuing into the mite lair unless someone posts otherwise.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Orc in the Playground

Estanos steers clear of the theological fencing match in progress; he doesn't think its likely that this Old Sawtooth is a god, but he certainly isn't going to assert it as fact. The world is a wide place. Instead, he lays his hands on Mikmak and through the power of his faith heals the kobold. " Sarenrae preserves."

Spoiler
    Show

Cure Light Wounds on a random Kobold NPC <_<:(1d8+2)[10]

19. - Top - End - #409
    Orc in the Playground

With Mikmak in tow, you proceed deeper into the earth of the Stolen Lands. Ahead, down a short tunnel, you hear frantic chattering in a clicking, insane tongue. Rounding the corner, you find yourself in a relatively large chamber which evidently is the mites' communal home, judging by the array of rubbish-turned-furniture.

You also find yourself face to face with the lair's denizens, including the two frightened mites who have led you on this chase. Eight of the little blue savages hiss and growl from behind their ragtag shields. Then something far more dangerous scuttles into view: a giant insect, with a scarred black caparace and clacking mandibles. Mounted on it is a plump mite with a mouth full of sharp teeth and an over-sized 'crown' of a broken bear trap upon his head.

Round 1

Map
    Spoiler
    Show

The map was rushed. It should be obvious which square each mite is in, but, if it isn't ask OOC.
    T is the giant insect, and ML is the mite leader. ML is mounted on T.

20. - Top - End - #410
    Orc in the Playground

"We shall vanquish you, foul vermin," Viktor intones, drawing his sword and shield as he sprints towards the mite leader.

Spoiler
    Show
    Detect Evil on the Mite Leader (and also on Mikmak, since I don't think you posted the results of that earlier detection). If he's evil, Smite Evil. If not, plain old charge + power attack.

Power attack roll: (1d20+9)[21] (+3 if smiting)
    Damage roll: (1d10+6)[9] (+2 if smiting)

AC 19
    HP 17
    LGBTitP

21. - Top - End - #411

"This will not be difficult," Zinovia sneers. Her hands weave an incantation, and a familiar rush of searing flames rushes towards the mites.

Spoiler
    Show
    Moving diagonally up to the left, then up one space.
    Using my bonded item to cast another burning hands. It should hit M1-M4.
    Damage: (4d4+1)[12] Ref DC19 for half.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Troll in the Playground

"I wouldn't use the word "vanquish," Tireas says, as he begins to vanish into thin air, using a trick he learned only shortly before the expedition to the Stolen Lands began. "That seems... too powerful," his voice originates further down the cave as he is evidently approaching the mounted mite leader. "Especially considering these insignificant foes. Maybe slaughter, or exterminate would be more appropriate?" he drones on as he appears in a flash behind the mite ruler.

Spoiler
    Show
    Swift action to vainsh
    Moving behind the mite leader
    Attack!

(1d20+6)[15] vs flat footed. Accounts for flanking and cramped penalty
    Damage: (1d8+6)[10] + (1d6)[1]

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

23. - Top - End - #413
    Orc in the Playground

The priest's eyes widen at the sudden flash of fire from Zinovia as he calls down the guidance of his goddess, hoping to improve the bard's aim with this round of shots.

Spoiler
    Show
    Guidance on Ilya; take a +1 on your first, inevitable, Rapid Shot. <_<

24. - Top - End - #414

"Is this really the time to argue semantics?" Ilya says, amused by Viktor and Tireas. "While I myself am rather partial to the more tasteful 'eliminate,' it really is of little consequence," he says, firing arrows at the insect creature.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rapid Shot on the mite leader's insect.

Attack #1: (1d20+6)[12]
    Damage #1: (1d6+1)[4]

Attack #2: (1d20+5)[11]
    Damage #2: (1d6+1)[5]

Of course, dice roller, of course. Our feelings are mutual.
    Last edited by RocketMan; 2012-08-02 at 07:17 PM.
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

25. - Top - End - #415
    Orc in the Playground

Viktor's sword chops down on the mite leader, blazing brightly. Tireas vanishes and reappears behind him. A single swing from both men is all it takes to cut down the creature. Being the leader amongst weaklings doesn't mean much, apparently. Ilya is less lucky. Even guided by Estanos' blessing, the prince's shots thud duly into the cave wall.

Zinovia burns away half of the dead leader's underlings, regardless of whether they manage to hurl themselves out of the way or not.

The mites natter to each other and begin to pelt Zinovia with crude javelins. The sickly wizardess, unable to dodge, is cut by three of the little missiles.

Spoiler
    Show
    7 damage to Zinovia.

The giant insect does not even appear to notice that its rider has fallen. Its jaws clutch at Viktor, but the paladin bashes back the huge bug with his shield.

Round 2

Map
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #416
    Orc in the Playground

Estanos' face grows alarmed as the fusillade of tiny javelins crashes into Zinovia; hurrying to her side, he reaches out to help her with her footing in this cramped hole. " Worry not, Zinovia," he says with a smile distorted in the harsh light by stark shadows," You're going to be fine."

Spoiler
    Show

A step to the left, Cure Light Wounds on Zinovia.
    (1d8+2)[6]
    Last edited by Oh My God; 2012-08-04 at 10:37 AM.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Troll in the Playground

"Nice work, Viktor!" Tireas says as he continues to slash away at the giant tick. "But it looks like there's more to kill!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Attacking the giant tick.

(1d20+6)[20] (includes -2 for tight quarters and +2 for flanking)
    (1d8+6)[14]+(1d6)[1] damage
    Last edited by Blisstake; 2012-08-04 at 12:06 PM.

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

28. - Top - End - #418

"Awww," Ilya pouts as his arrows hit only rock. "Well, there's always next time - as in, right now!" he says, pulling back his bow and launching another volley of arrows.

Spoiler
    Show
    The first attack is against M5 and the second against M6.

Attack #1: (1d20+5)[8]
    Damage #1: (1d6+1)[5]

Attack #2: (1d20+5)[8]
    Damage #2: (1d6+1)[2]
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

29. - Top - End - #419

Zinovia grits her teeth as she feels warm blood well up from her wounds. Then Estanos is at her side, saying something in a comforting voice. Her world is buzzing, dulled, and she barely hears. "I know that," she hisses through clenched teeth. Her body's wounds close thanks to the priest's healing. "Thank you," she mutters, hunched over more than usual due to the confined space. "Now let us end this."

Spoiler
    Show
    Magic missile on the big bug. (2d4+3)[9]

30. - Top - End - #420
    Orc in the Playground

"Well done," Viktor commends his companions as Zinovia and Tireas bring down numerous foes. Returning his focus to the vermin before him, the paladin slashes away at it with his blade.

Spoiler
    Show
    Power attack roll: (1d20+9)[18]
    Damage roll: (1d10+6)[10]
    LGBTitP