New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 32 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: AA's Kingmaker Part I: The Stolen Lands

"It seems more than likely." Zinovia clears her throat. "At any rate, it is certainly inconvenient and in our way. But it may be able to provide a superior meal to the rations which we've eaten of late."
    Fantastic avatar by Ceika.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Troll in the Playground

"I can't remember the last time I had sausage," Tireas comments as he draws his katana.

Spoiler: Characters
    Show
    Tarok and Kamo, level 6 half-orc ranger, bunyip-slayer, and all around badass.

I like half-orcs

Retired:

Aldrin Cress, level 10 human sorcerer. Hero of Korvosa.
    Tireas Slate, level 4 tiefling ninja. Eternally scheming.

DMing: Dragon's Demand

3. - Top - End - #453
    Orc in the Playground

"Sausage would be nice," Viktor says dreamily, his normally prodigious appetite not having been truly satisfied since the feast at Oleg's Post. "Still," he says, snapping back to the task at hand, "stay focused and alert until the boar is defeated."
    LGBTitP

4. - Top - End - #454
    Orc in the Playground

" To kill this creature for sustenance is wrong; but if it is as dangerous as it is reputed to be, it would be equally wrong to allow it to continue to menace these woods," is the judgment of the priest.
    Hunting Blackpool Hall | OOC
    The Dream of Cormanthr | OOC

GITP Fantasy Blood Bowl Cup - Season III - Now Recruiting!
    My Team: Tinwë United ( Pro Elf - CRAZY )
    Season 2: 5-5-2 Cup Semi-Finalists

5. - Top - End - #455
    Troll in the Playground

"You know, I can understand your aversion to killing people, but this is just an animal, and I'm quite hungry. Viktor, lure him out, I'll see if I can sneak around."

Tireas moves for some cover behind a nearby tree, keeping his weapon at the ready.

Spoiler
    Show
    Stealth check, taking a 10 for 17
    Last edited by Blisstake; 2012-08-22 at 04:59 PM.

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

6. - Top - End - #456
    Orc in the Playground

Tireas moves to hide behind the thick trunk of a nearby pine, while the rest of the party draws the huge boar's attention. It rises from the mud, bristling, at its shoulder as tall as any of you. It snorts and stamps the ground, driving clots of wet earth skyward. There is a vicious glint in its animal eyes.

Round 1

And then it charges, rushing towards Viktor with head down. As it reaches the paladin, its curved tusks come up, grating across his legs. The blow is poised to sever an artery, or perhaps even the whole leg, but at the last moment, a lucky collision with one of Viktor's armoured plates sends it off course. As is, the wound is serious, however.

Spoiler
    Show
    13 damage to Viktor.

Map
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #457
    Orc in the Playground

"Argh," Viktor groans as the tusk pierces him. He can understand how a hapless hunter would fare poorly against the beast. The paladin is made of tougher stuff, though, and he swings back at the boar with his bastard sword.

Spoiler
    Show
    Power attack roll: (1d20+7)[24]
    Damage roll: (1d10+6)[14]
    LGBTitP

8. - Top - End - #458
    Troll in the Playground

As the boar makes its charge, Tireas darts out from his hiding spot, aiming his katana in between the animal's ribs.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+8)[21]
    Damage: (1d8+6)[12] + (1d6)[3] if sneak attack applies

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

9. - Top - End - #459
    Orc in the Playground

Eyeing the wound Viktor has suffered from the vicious ( and likely disease ridden) tusks, Estanos decides he needs to exercise a little medical direction. " Step away from the creature, Viktor. Give me some room to work!"

Spoiler
    Show

Hoping Estanos and Viktor can take a five foot step down and left, get the priest out of the reach of the boar, and then CLW on Viktor.

(1d8+2)[3]

10. - Top - End - #460

Zinovia weaves a spell over the massive boar, presumed to be Tuskgutter. She seeks out its animal mind and seizes it, clenching and twisting it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ear-piercing scream: (2d6+1)[4] Fort DC18 for half and no stun
    Last edited by Leviathan; 2012-08-26 at 10:37 PM.

11. - Top - End - #461
    Barbarian in the Playground

"Now there is a prodigious pig," Ilya remarks with a giggle, seeming unperturbed by the beast's long tusks or immense size.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rapid Shot!

Attack #1: (1d20+5)[24]
    Damage #1: (1d6+1)[6]

Attack #2: (1d20+5)[8]
    Damage #2: (1d6+1)[2]
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

Characters: Currently applying to games!

12. - Top - End - #462
    Orc in the Playground

Tuskgutter rears backwards on its hairy hind-legs, pierced by Viktor and Tireas' swords, and by one of Ilya's arrows. Dark blood trickles down its flanks, catching in its matted hair. Zinovia's spell does not faze it; with eyes full of blood-crazed vengeance, the animal rips into Tireas. The tiefling receives a long gash to his body, more than rivalling any of the marks made upon Tuskgutter's hide.

Spoiler
    Show
    14 damage to Tireas.

Round 2

Map
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #463
    Orc in the Playground

"Holdfast!" Viktor calls to his allies as he returns to the fray, his blade slashing again at the beast's thick hide.

Spoiler
    Show
    Power attack roll: (1d20+7)[13]
    Damage roll: (1d10+6)[11]

AC 19
    HP 11
    Last edited by Winterfell; 2012-08-28 at 11:11 PM.
    LGBTitP

14. - Top - End - #464
    Orc in the Playground

Estanos gasps in empathetic pain as the tiefling is mauled by the animal whose well being has ( conspicuously ) ceased being a matter of importance to Estanos. Focusing on his connection to the inherent rightness of the cosmos, the priest calls out,"Sarenrae, Sarenrae! Shield your flock!"

Spoiler
    Show

Channeling, excepting the boar: (1d6)[6]

15. - Top - End - #465
    Troll in the Playground

"Argh! That probably... wasn't... a good idea..." Tireas manages to say as he begings to lose consciousness. As Estanos' holy light begins to close the wounds, however, Tireas manages to keep from being blacked out, and continues attacking the boar, this time with more fervor.

Spoiler
    Show
    Five foot step diagonal left above the boar. Assuming Viktor moved to one of the spaces directly below the boar, that gives flanking for me.

Using 1 point of ki for an extra attack

(1d20+8)[18]
    Damage: (1d8+6)[9] + (1d6)[6]

(1d20+8)[16]
    Damage: (1d8+6)[7] + (1d6)[3]

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

16. - Top - End - #466

Zinovia blasts off another spell at the boar. "Die, creature. You will find no easy battle here."

Spoiler
    Show
    Magic missile: (2d4+2)[7]

17. - Top - End - #467

"I guess we'll have to start calling this beast 'Tuskgutted'," Ilya says with a laugh as he fires off another pair of arrows.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack #1: (1d20+5)[9]
    Damage #1: (1d6+1)[2]

Attack #2: (1d20+5)[14]
    Damage #2: (1d6+1)[3]
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

18. - Top - End - #468
    Orc in the Playground

Tuskgutter collapses to the ground with a keening snort, his blood seeping out into the churned-up mud. It takes a few messy minutes to saw through the boar's thick neck, severing its head - the prize that the hunter requires as proof of the deed. The rain falls steadily down on you as you re-mount your horses.

17 Gozran, 4708

The rains have ceased by the time the sun rises, and the forest glistens with wetness that shimmers in the morning light. A new growth of shoots and flowers press their way up from the beds of decaying leaves, encouraged by the sodden ground.

As you douse the last embers of your campfire and furl your bedrolls, there comes a warbling chirp from nearby. A rotund little yellow bird has alighted upon Estanos' gear, and it is followed by another, equally plump canary. The two birds tilt their heads to the side, looking directly at the priest. Then, in a shower of rainbow sparks, they explode like fireworks, sending brilliant motes of light streaming across your camp. From the forest, you can hear a high-pitched, childish giggling, but laden with a supernatural clarity and eminence.

19. - Top - End - #469
    Orc in the Playground

" Oh-ho-ho. Who's a pretty bird, then?", the priest asks when he spies the first bird, obviously answering his own question in his head with a' You are, yes you are.' When its joined by its friend, he gets a little closer, edging slowly so as not to startle them, and reaches out to one of them with a slow, practiced movement. " Are you hungry, friend?", is cut off mid-sentence by a startled exclamation as the birds go -pop-, and in startlement he goes sprawling backwards, some half-remembered drill from the Brothers Militant sending him diving away from the perceived attack. Of course, he trips on his own limbs, and tumbles to the ground.

" ... are exploding avians common in these godless lands, or is this an unusual occurence? " Estanos queries, dusting himself off as he gets back to his feet, and then he hears the laughter coming from the brush. He rolls his eyes. " Gnomes. There must be a burrow nearby. "

20. - Top - End - #470

"Or perhaps some form of illusion," Zinovia ponders, shielding her eyes from the blasts of light. "But for certain, some creatures have mischief in store."

She waves a hand, and her eyes light up with glowing smoke, searching for magical auras.

Spoiler
    Show
    Detect magic.

Knowledge (arcana): (1d20+10)[27]
    Knowledge (nature): (1d20+10)[18]
    Knowledge (the planes): (1d20+10)[12]

21. - Top - End - #471

Ilya watches the pair of birds quizzically. When Estanos shows them affection, the prince starts to smirk, deciding to prod the priest with a jest about 'dinner.' Then the birds explode into colourful pyrotechnics. For a moment, the young man stands perfectly still, stunned, before he doubles over in laughter.

"Estanos," he says breathlessly as he recovers. "You really ought to showcase your acrobatic talents to the wider world. You could put on quite the travelling act. 'Estanos the Incredibly Uncoordinated Priest from the East!' Think about it," Ilya concludes with a wry smile.
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

22. - Top - End - #472
    Troll in the Playground

Tireas mumbles lazily as the chirping birds break his slumber. As they explode however, he quickly reaches for his katana next to his bedroll, and begins to breathe heavily.

"Show yourselves!" he yells, evidently panicked. "Or that will be your last laugh."

He doesn't really seem to understand the currently non-threatening nature of the situation.

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

23. - Top - End - #473
    Orc in the Playground

Zinovia

Spoiler
    Show
    This is definitely illusion magic, and the laughter makes you think that it is likely some sort of fey behind it all.

As Tireas calls out a challenge, you all scan the surrounding woods. But there is nothing in sight, except a few rustlings as a squirrel leaps from branch to branch above you. With nothing to do but wonder about the curious situation, you proceed with your day...

Near noon, you spot something unusual: a high upthrust ridge of brownish rock, rising nearly one hundred feet into the air, as though some angry god hurled down a giant stone in a fit of rage. Making towards it, you press through thick brambles that form a natural curtain. The tangle gives way to a large clearing in the woods, its borders partially defined by ruined stone pillars, smoothed by rain and wind into simple grey shapes. The western face of the clearing is dominated by the looming ridge of rock which drew you closer. It is nearly three hundred feet across, rising to a moss-topped height of perhaps one hundred feet at the center. The side of the towering boulder facing the clearing has been smoothed down into a flat surface, upon which has been carved the immense likeness of an elk.

The elk's antlers droop down the rock's weathered face to frame a 50-foot wide cave entrance. A flight of stone steps leads up to this from the forest clearing. Both the steps and the elk are encrusted with layers of moss. A long oval pool of water sits in the middle of the clearing, surrounded by eroded pillars, its stagnant water thick with algae.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Orc in the Playground

"They seem harmless enough," Viktor says, scowling at the aftermath of the birds' explosion. "Still, we do not know whether this trickster's next jest will be equally so."

----

Viktor doesn't speak for a moment as the apparently-ancient grove comes into view. The megalithic carvings and primeval standing stones are awe-inspiring. "A temple," the paladin breathes, quietly, as if raised voices threaten to turn the whole scene to dust. "To an ancient god. Erastil," he says, gesturing with a gauntleted hand at the elk carving. "I gather this is the place that Father Jhod requested our assistance in finding. It is... wild. We should be cautious."
    LGBTitP

25. - Top - End - #475
    Troll in the Playground

"Hmm, if whatever city this belonged to spent more money on defenses than temple carvings, maybe they would still be occupying these lands today."

He nods his head when Viktor recommends caution. "After you, good sir."
    Last edited by Blisstake; 2012-09-06 at 04:58 PM.

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

26. - Top - End - #476

Zinovia's hooded head turns slowly to look over the ancient ruins, seemingly made at the dawn of time and then left to turn slowly back to their natural state. The hushed silence threatens to seal her lips, but she shakes it away with an annoyed look on her pallid face. "It is a ruin, nothing more. We should not waste more time with forgotten rocks than needed to please that old priest."

Unless someone objects, Zinovia begins to make her way towards the cavern at the temple's heart.

27. - Top - End - #477
    Orc in the Playground

" Gnomes will do as gnomes will do, Viktor. There should be no real danger. Simply be glad they have not offered to cook you a meal," is Estanos' coda to the exploding canary event.

----

" I doubt that there was any city involved with this structure. Such a place is dedicated to nature, and a city would be anathema to its creed. No, this was hewn by only a few dedicated souls." He says, shaking his head in wonder. " It must have taken generations."

Estanos clearly is impressed by the edifice, his eyes drinking in the vista. He smiles and looks to the others. As he so often does, he interprates Zinovia's words in the kindest possible light. " Indeed. We should ensure that the shrine is safe, so that Brother Jhod can reconsecrate it as soon as he is able." He too is ready to advance on the shrine.

28. - Top - End - #478

"Well, let's get to it then," Ilya says. "I very much doubt that whatever horrid beast resides within that cave is going to die obligingly, so I suspect we'll have our work cut out for us. I do hope it's worth it," he says, looking around at the ruins as if he doubts it will be. "I can't say I fancy having this temple up-and-running again... Erastil is quite a stodgy god, and not very sophisticated either, isn'y he?" Ilya says blithely, unconcerned by the approaching cave.
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

29. - Top - End - #479
    Orc in the Playground

The party approaches the silent temple. The soft grasses under root muffle your steps, and the sun shines through the clearing, bouncing off the massive rock formation to brighten the glade. Despite its neolithic construction, the ancient structure has the aura of a cathedral, hushed and reverent.

But it does not last. A great roar splits the air, coming from inside the cave. The shadow of a huge bear proceeds the beast itself. Its hide is gnarled and scarred, raked by claws and weapons of long dead foes. Its eyes gleam with menace as it roars again, its clawed feet padding their way aggressively down the temple stairs towards you.

Round 1
    [spoiler]The bear has already taken its action for the round, so you're up.[/spoiler

Map
    Spoiler
    Show
    It was too hard to see your itty-bitty letters, so now you're circles of your respective colours.

30. - Top - End - #480

"It seems that the house of Erastil has become a beast's den," Zinovia says with a thin-lipped smirk. "Poetic." But, apparently, the wizardess has no love of poetry either, because she weaves an incantation, sending silvery jets flying unerringly towards the bear.

Spoiler
    Show
    Magic missile:(2d4+3)[7]