New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: AA's Kingmaker Part I: The Stolen Lands

Zinovia looks around desperately as Estanos is attacked by a bandit, only a few feet from her. And another, the stupid boy, is right behind him."Move, priest! Move behind me if you want to live!" She raises her hands to her neck, touching her bloodstone choker, drawing out its magic. She feels herself grow weak, but manages to thrust out a hand towards the oncoming bandit, as soon as Estanos is safely away. Another blast of flame shoots down the passage that the wall and building creates.

Spoiler
    Show
    Once Estanos is out of the way, she'll use burning hands from her amulet. This will hit B1 and B5. I figure Viktor will want to move out of the flank anyways, but, regardless, blast effects stop at corners, so it shouldn't hit him. Which I suppose means Estanos could also 5 ft step diagonally down to his left too and be out of the radius.

Damage: (4d4+1)[9] Ref DC19 for half.
    Last edited by Leviathan; 2012-06-06 at 05:46 PM. Reason: problematic typo
    Fantastic avatar by Ceika.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

Tireas scans the battlefield, noticing that the others were in a spot of difficulty. The tiefling reasons they can handle themselves, and instead dashes off toward the escaping bandit.

"Hey, you! No running!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Moving right above B3 and attacking.

(1d20+6)[14]
    (1d8+7)[10] damage

Spoiler: Characters
    Show
    Tarok and Kamo, level 6 half-orc ranger, bunyip-slayer, and all around badass.

I like half-orcs

Retired:

Aldrin Cress, level 10 human sorcerer. Hero of Korvosa.
    Tireas Slate, level 4 tiefling ninja. Eternally scheming.

DMing: Dragon's Demand

3. - Top - End - #63
    Orc in the Playground

Estanos is about to insist that he can handle himself against the bandit when he realizes that the sorceress is not concerned about the -bandit- killing him, but instead worried -she- will accidentally kill him with her own fire. With that realization, he hurries behind her and lifts his holy symbol once more. " Though I walk in savage lands, I fear not! Sarenrae!" Once more, that feeling of safety and hope washes over the assembled heroes. Once more, injuries fade and begin to heal under divine direction.

Spoiler
    Show
    Channeling again! Excepting all of the bandits except B3 (who isn't damaged yet)

[roll]1d6[/roll1d6]

Well, that's embarrassing. I'll, uh, roll in the OOC thread. >_<
    Last edited by Oh My God; 2012-06-06 at 05:49 PM. Reason: tag fail

4. - Top - End - #64
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ilya pouts as his shots go wide. The bandits below are quickly being routed by his companions, and the prince hadn't killed a single one! Perhaps this isn't my day, he thinks, crestfallen. Still, the young man has some sense left in him.

"We must keep one alive," he calls out to his companions. "You're very fortunate," he whispers under his breath as he begins to cast a spell on the bandit in the centre of the courtyard.

Spoiler
    Show
    Maintain Inspire Courage and Sleep on B9. Nobody else is in the radius. DC 14 Will or fall asleep.

Also, I think Team Creepy is winning on the kill count .
    Last edited by RocketMan; 2012-06-06 at 06:02 PM.
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

Characters: Currently applying to games!

5. - Top - End - #65
    Orc in the Playground

"Your men are defeated, and your time has come," Viktor says stoically as he faces down the bandit leader. Then he steps sideways, fast for one in such heavy armor, and again slashes with his golden blade. "Let justice be done!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Five foot step diagonally up and to the left, and power attack the bandit leader again.

Attack roll: (1d20+10)[19]
    Damage roll: (1d10+8)[17]

HP 12
    AC 19 (21 vs. evil)
    LGBTitP

6. - Top - End - #66
    Orc in the Playground

The battle for Oleg's Post comes to a halt. Zinovia's fire is like dragon's breath, incinerating the bandit who had attacked Estanos, and the youth behind him. Tireas cuts down the archer outside the gates as he backpedals, putting his sword through the man's throat. Ilya is merciful, compared to these: his spell drops its target into a sudden slumber, but one from which he will most certainly wake.

Viktor finishes off Happs, using shield and sword in tandem, getting through the bandit leader's guard and then cutting him down with his blazing sword.

The clanging of swords, the twang of bowstrings, and the crackle of magic all are gone. In their place, a few bird sing from the top of one of the buildings, unperturbed by the violence to which they have borne witness. Nine bandits, and their huge, brutal commander, lie dead, the lifeblood of those not scorched to death soaking into the ground...

With a clunk, then a click, the door to Oleg's house opens. The trader looks out at the carnage and gives a shrug, unperturbed. But as he walks towards you, there is a lightness in his heavy steps, as though a great weight has been lifted.

"Glad to see everyone still on two feet," he says. "And good riddance about their lot. I told Svetlana to stay inside 'til I had this all cleaned up." He looks down at the bloodied ground. "Could use some rain fer that."

"I bet you need some rest after what you've done. You've got the run of the Post, and the stores. We've got ale if you want it, and as much food as you like. 'Lana'll cook up something special for dinner. I'd be, well, I'd be honoured if you stay so we can thank you properly."

7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground

"Wait, wait!" Tireas calls as Oleg mentions the rewards of their victory. "You say there were 20 bandits, and we merely eliminated eleven. At least 9 remain, including that vulgar woman you spoke of. I say we interrogate the one still alive, slay him, then use the information to track the rest of them down before they realize their men have yet to return."

The tiefling absentmindedly flicks some blood off of his blade, and walks up to the sleeping bandit. "After all, we cannot vouch for Oleg's safety while the rest remain. Someone want to wake him up? I fear I have trouble being gentle."

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

8. - Top - End - #68
    Orc in the Playground

Oleg scratches his head, then seems to realize that one of the bandits lying motionless on the ground is, in fact, asleep, and not dead. "Well I don't think they'll be coming back here any time soon what with your ambush. They're cowards at heart. But maybe you're right. Can't just leave that fellow here; I'll grab some rope, then you can wake him up."

Oleg goes off to the stables, returning with a coil of rope that he uses to bind the bandit's feet and hands. "He's all yours. And I won't say a word if you kill him on the spot."

9. - Top - End - #69
    Orc in the Playground

Estanos goes around to each of the fallen bandits, determining whether all those who fell are dead, or merely dying. If he discovers any that yet live, he performs a rough sort of triage; if they need attention immediately to ensure that they do not die, he grants it. If they're simply seriously wounded, but stable, he leaves them as they are.

Upon hearing Tireas speaking of murdering their prisoner, the foreign priest's countenance takes on a more serious cast, and he strides over to where the prisoner is bound. " If this young man dies, it will be in accordance with the law. He is our prisoner, and, at the moment, entirely harmless. Killing him out of hand would be a wrong not easily fixed."

He clears his throat, having said that, and straightens his collar. " So long as that is perfectly clear, I will try waking the boy up and seeing if he's willing to talk. Viktor, or Oleg, could you prop him up?"

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

"Oh, of course, Father Estanos, I wouldn't dream of killing this man until he relinquishes the information we need," responds Tireas, completely missing Estanos' point.

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

11. - Top - End - #71

"Well, that was quite well done, despite the- wait, did you say you wish to kill the prisoner?" Ilya says, incredulously. "First we need to question him, but I'm be very surprised indeed if he's capable of doing any more harm now. If you ask me," Ilya continues, in a voice which suggests that, asked or not, you are about to get his opinion, "his fate ought to depend on whether he's cooperative. If he is, well then maybe there's a glimmer of hope for him. If not, we can ship him back to Restov to face prison there."

"In any event, tis time to wake our newest acquaintance up." Ilya kneels down to check the bindings - not that he knows a good knot from a bad one - before. Then he places his hand on the bandit's shoulder and shakes.
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

"But he attacked us, and now he pays the price. Though I am a resonable man, and quite willing to compromise." He puts his hand to his chin, thinking of an arrangement that would suit everyone. "How about if the man cooperates, I give him a swift death, instead of a painful one?"
    Last edited by Blisstake; 2012-06-06 at 09:32 PM.

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

13. - Top - End - #73
    Orc in the Playground

As the battle ends, Viktor breathes a sigh of relief. Sheathing his sword, he spies Ilya clambering down the ladder from atop the wall. He only resists the urge to hurry to his prince's side because a commotion breaks out around the now tied up prisoner.

Viktor listens with brow furrowed to Tireas, before nodding sharply as Estanos speaks. "Indeed," he says, his voice dark. "I do not doubt that this man has done evil deeds, and deserves Abadar's swift justice, but it is unacceptable to slay a captive simply for convenience, despite what you may think, demonspawned. Restrain your cruelty." He pauses for a moment to think.

"If this man is to die, it must be by the laws of Brevoy, or else we must try him ourselves."
    Last edited by Winterfell; 2012-06-06 at 09:35 PM.
    LGBTitP

14. - Top - End - #74
    Orc in the Playground

" I cannot tell whether you're joking in poor taste, or if I should just be horrified. To kill a helpless man is murder." Estanos looks agog at the bloodthirsty man he happened to have slept in the same building as last night, wondering briefly how it is that his throat wasn't slit. " Murder being a crime significantly worse than the one you -claim- to be punishing. Now, put all such thoughts out of your head Tireas. They are unworthy of you."
    Last edited by Oh My God; 2012-06-06 at 09:38 PM. Reason: clarity

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

"Oh, lawful? Why didn't you just say so; I thought you read the charter, I even committed it to memory. But you had other concerns, so allow me to recite it!"

He clears his throat and proudly announces: "'The punishment for unrepentant banditry remains, as always, execution by sword or rope.' I have a sword, and Oleg so gratiously provided us with some rope! But do not let your forgetfullness worry you, we have some questions to ask the man. I shall leave you to your task."

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

16. - Top - End - #76

Zinovia hobbles over to the prisoner, who remarkably is still asleep despite the raised voices all around him. Tireas speaks, and she breaks into slow, steady applause. "And there we have an eminently sensible solution to what might otherwise be a vexatious problem. I suggest, however, that he - she waves a hand at the prisoner - "not be informed of the end result of his cooperation. I have no particular desire to deal with this man any more that he is necessary and of use to us. And besides, he is a bandit. His crimes are numerous - we have seen one here ourselves. Call it justice if you require a noble word to keep at bay your guilt, be let us be done with this worm."

17. - Top - End - #77
    Orc in the Playground

"Demonspawned, you mock justice with your words," Viktor says coldly. "In your bloodlust, you forget that repentance is also a part of our charter. I am eager to see justice done, but we cannot determine this until we have heard the man's words, to see if he repents."

Viktor looks down at the prisoner with distaste. "I suspect it unlikely, but if he aids us, willingly and without reticence, justice may be tempered with mercy. We may then collectively decide his fate, as no law exists in these regions."
    Last edited by Winterfell; 2012-06-06 at 10:04 PM.
    LGBTitP

18. - Top - End - #78

"Yes, exactly," Ilya says passionately, coming to his friend's defense. "We can't possibly know whether this man is good or bad until we've spoken to him. What if we kill someone trying to feed their children?"
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

"Then he has picked a wildly innappropriate way to do so. Plus, there are many who "repent" when faced with no other option. If you wish to release a dangerous man into the wilds, then the blood would rest on your hands, not mine. I offer you a simple way to reverse that unfortunate situation, but if you won't take it, then so be it. I hardly wish to create a conflict. Proceed as you will, I'm quite hungry now that I think about it..."

Without anything more to say, Tireas happily heads off toward his room, where he left his unfinished breakfast. Bloodshed works up quite the appetite.

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

20. - Top - End - #80
    Orc in the Playground

Oleg shrugs, a motion you begin to suspect is a common one for the stolid man. "Seems to me that Charter of yours makes you the closest thing we got to a law down here. If you want to make this official, I can set up a table in the house. You can judge him there, and Svetlana and me'll witness it. But like I said, I don't mind if you just kill him. He hasn't done anything but evil so far as I've seen."

"Still," Oleg continues, "best leave that talk 'til you've talked him." The trader walks off, going about the messy business of removing the bodies from his property.

Then the bandit is shaken awake. His is a man of perhaps twenty-two, of dusky complexion, with a spiral tattoo over one eye. Greasy black hair runs down to his shoulders. He blinks once. Then twice. "Sod it," he groans as he recognizes the people standing over him. He tests his bonds, and finding them firm, he lies back, resigned. "Damnit, I knew this was gonna be a bad day."
    Last edited by ApatheticAbacus; 2012-06-06 at 10:19 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81

"While I'm terribly disappointed about your bad day, we need to ask you a few questions," Ilya says, attempting to be soothing but clearly unnerved by the man. "We've heard you have a leader who's hiding somewhere in the woods, and we need an exact location. Any other details with which you'd care to furnish us I leave up to you."

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy, if necessary: (1d20+7)[21]
    Last edited by RocketMan; 2012-06-06 at 10:29 PM.
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

22. - Top - End - #82

"Indeed," Zinovia agrees. "I care little for this man's fate either. I simply suggested an expedient course of action. But it occurs to me that I may make this issue simple by leaving it to those who care for it. Let the consequences be theirs."

She begins to leave, casting a disparaging look at the trussed up bandit. "Aren't you lucky that I am completely disinterested in you," she says with a sneer. "My boredom will increase your lifespan."

Zinovia ambles away after Tireas, her staff skidding across the ground as she hauls her body into her quarters that she shares with the others. She sits herself down on her bed with a sigh, leaning back against her pillows. She closes her eyes, and for a moment she seems to sleep. But, without turning her head or opening her eyes, she speaks, her voice directed at Tireas. "You fight well, tiefling." Her tone is airy, for her, and benign. But then it hardens. "Why are you here? I understand the paladin, the priest, the boy. You, I do not see."

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

Tireas swallows the last of his bread and grins, even though Zinovia isn't even looking at him while speaking. "The same goes for you, Miss Zinovia. Your fire is truly awe-inspiring. But to answer your question, well, why not? There's adventure, exploring, and fighting to be had. And free food!"

He chuckles for a moment, but then speaks again after a pause, dropping to a much more serious tone "But you're too smart to fall for that, aren't you?"

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

24. - Top - End - #84
    Orc in the Playground

"Answer swiftly," Viktor says harshly as Ilya begins his questioning of the bandit. "We have little time to tarry here." As the bandit speaks, Viktor surveys the fallen corpses for anything of value.

Spoiler
    Show
    Not very paladin-y, but really we should take their valuables
    LGBTitP

25. - Top - End - #85
    Orc in the Playground

Bile rises in the back of Estanos' throat, its acid tang forcing a brief flicker of anguish to show on his face. Disgust washes over him at the conduct of his nominal fellows, shaking his head a little as Tireas and Zinovia walk off; trivializing the intended murder just made it worse. In the eyes of the cleric, Tireas was becoming less a -man- and more a -monster- with every word he had spoken, cleaving closer to the stereotype all assigned his kin.

He crosses him arms and waits, Ilya seeming to have ignored his own interest in speaking with the prisoner, thinking about the horrors that have just occurred.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground

"Alright, alright, I don't wanna die or nothin'. We was workin' for a lady named Kressle. Got a camp 'bout a day south of here if you got a horse. Nothin' much to look at. Near the Thorne River. Call it the Thorne River Camp, 'cause we're real creative types, y'know?" The bandit seems very willing to talk in exchange for his life.

"Dunno what else you want. All the loot we got is at the camp - that's what I'd wanna know if I captured a bandit."

Oleg quietly approaches Estanos. "Father. I don't know much about these things. So I thought I'd ask. The bodies. What should we do with them? What would be... proper?"

Viktor
    Spoiler
    Show
    The bandits all have leather armour, longbows, and short swords. You also find a silver amulet with a picture of a stag's head on the leader of the bandits, dangling around his neck.
    Last edited by ApatheticAbacus; 2012-06-06 at 10:54 PM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Orc in the Playground

The foreign priest's arms remain crossed as he considers the question, and then answers Oleg," A funeral pyre, to remove their sins and send their souls onwards. I will see to it. But it will wait; first, the living. Then the dead." His expression is flat, its very absence of cheer telling.

28. - Top - End - #88

"Yes, I am," Zinovia replies to Tireas, without moving an inch. "For one thing, if you're going to say such things, you might at least include that the wilds agree with you far more than wherever you were spawned, or rather that the lack of people to see your demonic face and scream their hatred is preferable."

"As such," the wizardess continues, finally moving, shifting her meagre weight into a more upright position, just in time to let out a painful cough. "as such... I think you should try again."

29. - Top - End - #89
    Orc in the Playground

"How many men does Kressle have with her? What are their capabilities?" Viktor barks at the captive. And another question," he continues, holding forth the stag amulet found on the bandit leader. "Your leader, he is a servant of the god Erastil? Or a lay-worshipper? I find this strange. Is this a tool of deception?" Viktor finishes, now eyeing the item with a high degree of suspicion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Detect Evil on the bandit, cuz really I should have done that a long time ago
    LGBTitP

30. - Top - End - #90
    Orc in the Playground

"She's got the other ten of us with her. Some of 'em are better than us. Done time in somebody's army, know how to use a sword and shoot a bow. But mostly we're all the same scum out here."

When Viktor approaches with the stag medallion, the bandit takes a look at it. "Happs, religious? No. All the bosses wear those. Kressle mentioned it was someone called the 'Stag Lord.' Some of the older guys looked around real nervous like and everyone shut right up. Don't think it's any god. Kressle just said he put her 'in charge' of us.