Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 336
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Monodominant's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Expat in Warsaw
    Gender
    Male

    Default From Splendor to Shadow (FR 3.5)

    It is early Autumn, the start of Marpenoth blessed month of Leaffall during the Year of Wild Magic, DR 1372. But the rains have not come...

    Spoiler
    Show

    For those not familiar with FR Marpenoth is basically October


    Waterdeep is suffering one of the worst droughts in not just recent history but extended as well. Any old timer on the street will rant on about how they had worse droughts when he was a child but he is obviously not telling the truth and you can tell from the thirsty glint in his eyes.

    Some say that its recent events that caused the drought... rumour has it that Sumer of Calimport, a very rich and famous merchant, was recently arrested and executed for his crimes against the City. A group of Harper agents infiltrated the mans organisation only to find out that he was the high priest of Talos in the region using his ships, wealth and influence to further the goals of the Storm Lord which included ritual sacrifice and worse... Hence Talos with holds the usual stormy rains that would be a welcome gift at this time of year.

    Those that know even better, or maybe some may call them paranoid, whisper about the Shades of Anauroch and how it is them and their dark powers that have caused drought not just in Waterdeep but over most of North and Central Toril. To you off course, people with a bit more wit and contacts, this is no rumor... until recently armies marched from Waterdeep, Tethyr and Cormyr to unite with Evereska and fight against the Shades and the Phaerim and even though the details are sketchy, the veterans of that war that have now returned home are more than happy to talk about it when offered a mug of ale.

    The drought does not only cause prices of any liquid drink to go up though. It makes people edgy and angry and it makes trade harder. Caravans end up in the city with half the planned cargo as lack of water caused the death of pack animals and Waterdeep is starting to feel the effects of shortages.

    @ Miranda
    Spoiler
    Show


    Finally a note had come. Signed with the harp it mentioned a meeting in a small tavern at the city docks early in the morning. You arrived at the place earlier and careful as always you first identified possible exits and also ways to get out of the area soon should this be a trap. All things that someone wanting to survive in Shadowlord turf knows before learning how to read.

    Everything seemed... ok and thus you went in. You were surprised by the fact that there was only two more people in the tavern... maybe it was the time of day, maybe it was the knowing wink the tavern keeper gave you before retiring to the kitchen.

    What was even more surprising was the person sitting at a corner table. Kethri Willowbark gave you a warm smile and indicated the chair in front of him/her (?not sure if Kethri is male or female... you never can tell with elves anyway!).



    @ Orgen

    Spoiler
    Show


    Your stay at the temple of Oghma has been wonderful. At first you were worried... your natural instincts spoke against trusting a group of monks and clerics that were so excited to learn of you and your culture that they gave you room and board for free within temple grounds!

    Slowly though they won you over and you won them! Your eagerness for knowledge and the easy going attitude you had towards it meant they felt at ease next to you and you spent many hours in discussion with the elders of the group. When not enjoying their company and they your stories you were given free access to most of the library... not the more apocrypha sections but still all the books and information even at the first sections were enough to last you a decade worth of reading and learning.

    It is late evening when there is a polite knock on your door and you see Savant Davin, one of the senior members of the temple, standing outside.

    "May I come in for a while my friend?" he asks calmly



    @ Estef

    Spoiler
    Show


    Waterdeep has been treating you well. Your chosen profession means that you have already been hired a handful times either directly by the Church of Mistress of Magic or by mercenary groups looking for someone specialised at thwarting spell casters that have strayed from the True Path.

    Unfortunately though that has also generated a large number of enemies and you walk the streets with care and caution. It is indeed a similar night tonight. Warm and humid as you find yourself aimlessly walking the streets of the Trades Ward having just passed from the White Bull Court.

    You suddenly hear a noise from your left, the mouth of a dark alley, and as you turn, alert and ready you instead hear a voice from your right.

    "Calm yourself... I mean you no harm and am actually a friend... step in the alley so we can talk privately Estef..."



    @ Tra'vin and Calden

    Spoiler
    Show


    Tra'vin

    Gambling again! You think just after the boy you had following your brother reports in. It is a few minutes past midnight and you have finished your prayers to the Eternal Judge when the message came. You know its a long long trek from where you are in the City of the Dead till the Grinning Lion in the Northern Ward and you also know that the owner of that place, Unger Farshal has a nasty reputation.

    Almost 30 minutes later you arrive...

    Calden

    It has been a wonderful evening. Its the first time you come to the Grinning Lion, having heard that it is an amazing place to visit while in Waterdeep, and have not been dissapointed. Male and female dancers in exquisite outfits that mimic armour but much... much more revealing. The food is great, fresh eel served with onions and mushrooms and the drink is even greater... a Tethyrian delicacy called zzar which is spicy and sweet at the same time.

    It is before long that you attention is caught by the game of cards at the corner that has spectators cheering at the players... including a couple of hot women in skimpy clothing that seem to move towards the winning patron, like fireflies move to the light.

    And it had indeed been great after you joined in. So far you are ahead by 400 gold... everyone on this table is a fool that cant even bluff and especially that thin, bald fool with the broken nose... who just went all in and challenged you to match him when he placed his gaudy diamond jewellery on the pot. Your three aces beckoned you to clean him out and so you agreed without hesitation.

    Tra'vin

    You enter the busy tavern and get the weird ominous deza-vu you always get when you put your brother, a tavern and a crowd gathered at a corner table together. Laughter can be heard and you see a thin bald grinning man stand up from his chair and point at his opponent who is none other than Calden.

    "Oh... Unger fleeced another one..." says a passing waitress

    Calden

    Four queens... he had four queens... and he is now saying something about how the diamond jewellery he threw in is worth 2000 gold and any artisan can confirm it...

    "But maybe we can find another solution eh? Finish your drink and then, step into my office!" says the man who just robbed you of your winnings as he smiles and beckons to you.

    Tra'vin

    As you approach you see the bald man move away from the table and into a sideroom, not even bothering to collect his winnings and your brother staring at him... somewhat lost.

    Last edited by Monodominant; 2012-06-04 at 09:19 AM.
    AvB has come and gone. Its spirit still lives on in the few active threads...

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Aug 2011

    Default Re: From Splendor to Shadow (FR 3.5)

    Calden

    Sitting there, staring at the table...wondering where it went wrong. I had that bald bastard, everything was lining up..I could almost feel he hadn't drawn decently.

    Picking up a gold coin from the table he flips it for a minute just in a daze, trying to understand his massive swing in luck.

    Well, nothing to do about it I suppose. Fate is a fickle mistress after all

    Finishing off his zzar and wishing he had a whole barrel full of the stuff he looks around for a moment for a decent opportunity to run and get the hell out of this place.

    Only to see Tra'vin headed right for him. Well, there goes my clean getaway...Well, maybe brother can talk some sense into this hooked nose bastard, no way that bit of jewelry is worth so much

    "Brother ! found me quick this time, I swear you're getting better at that. You've got to try the zzar here, incredible stuff"

    Quickly turning and hollaring at the waitress "Top me off darling, and one for my most excellent brother here !"

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Autopsibiofeeder's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bern, CH
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: From Splendor to Shadow (FR 3.5)

    Orgen

    Orgen sets aside the book he was reading and smiles at the elder. "Of course. I hope you are doing well? Please be seated". Orgen points at a chair and starts looking around to see if he has something to offer the man, a drink perhaps.
    Avatar by Recaiden

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2009

    Default Re: From Splendor to Shadow (FR 3.5)

    Tra'vin

    Tra'vin glares at his brother, his anger simmering below the surface. He tries his best to remain calm. He stands next to the table, his feet apart in a wide stance and his arms crossed on his chest, looking as intimidating as he can manage. How does Calden always find the worst kind of trouble he thinks to himself.

    He sends the waitress a harsh glare, effectively canceling Calden's request. Calden, what in the hells have you done this time, he hisses between clenched teeth, Gather you stuff, if you have any left, and let's go.
    Last edited by Barthac; 2012-06-04 at 12:21 PM. Reason: everyone else was doing it!
    Something Wicked This Way Comes

    Taalkar Strongstone Sheet Notes

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    ElfRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2012

    Default Re: From Splendor to Shadow (FR 3.5)

    Estef

    Estef wasn't wearing much, just her soft cotton tunic, and her light armor. Her hands were free while she walked across the streets. Even if her bow was stringed and at her back she kept her hands far from it. She was just walking enjoying the unusual warm weather of Marpenoth and thinking about what move should she take next.

    It was then, while she walked through Chelor's Alley that she heard a strange voice. It was strange, normally Shiny keep adamant vigilance on strangers that got to close, but this time the jewel had been silent. With a slight mental reprimand the Shooting Star took a mental note: Beware. As she moved towards the alley, her hand caressed the familiar wood of the bow just as her eyes examined the surroundings, not only searching for a escaping route but also for a possible ambush.

    -What business do you have with me brother?
    Last edited by Aeryr; 2012-06-04 at 02:33 PM.
    Currently playing:
    Aer the Raven in the refounding of the temple of nine swords.
    Estef in From Splendor to Shadow
    DMing Here be Dragons IC & OOC

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Aug 2011

    Default Re: From Splendor to Shadow (FR 3.5)

    Calden

    Oh geez, he's really pissed this time...it's not like I was gone that long anyway

    Grimacing slightly and shuffling his feet. "Well...see, if you'd just came and gotten me 10 minutes ago there'd be no problem with that....but"
    Picking up his hand from the table "Damnit, I had the cards, I could feel what he was gonna draw...it was a sure thing ! Then he somehow ends up with four damned queens out of nowhere !" Sighing and throwing the cards back at the table.

    So just the minor problem that he thinks I owe him a -cough-few thousand gold-cough- and he uh...wants to speak with me in the back room there. Nodding over at the door the bald man went into.

    Gesturing at the "diamond" jewelry "But you gotta believe me brother, there's no way that's worth 2 thousand f**king coins !"

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Monodominant's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Expat in Warsaw
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: From Splendor to Shadow (FR 3.5)

    @ Orgen

    Spoiler
    Show
    The Savant enters after inclining his head as you reach for the large jug of water that you have in the room.

    "I am fine my friend. A bit under the weather maybe but I come bearing exciting news!" he says eagerly as he sits down.

    "But let me be a bit cryptic before telling you everything! Have you heard of the city of Multum?" he asks you.

    (knowledge History/local)



    @ Estef

    Spoiler
    Show


    The alley is not a dead end, simply a bit out of the way and hence there is a way to escape should this become necessary.

    The man behind you is dressed with a grey cloak of fine silk and overall his appearance is fairly imposing as you turn and look at him.

    "My name is Kevan Berenthor and I am under the employ of master Mythyl..." he says and pauses.

    You instantly recognise the name of his master, Ilbrost Mythyl is the de facto leader of the clerics worshiping Mystra in Waterdeep. Although he is a powerful man he is not as powerful as the actual leader of the Church of Mystra, Meleghost Starseer, and rumor has it that the two are bitter rivals. Their arguements have gone on for long and most of those that consider themselves 'Mystrans' sooner or later are forced to pick a side...

    "My master has needs of your service m'lady if you would be interested... I realise I am not telling you anything but I can only reveal the details if you agree to work for me and in extention Master Mythyl..."



    @ Calden and Tra'vin

    Spoiler
    Show


    The confused waitress departs letting the two of you work it out. She does give a smile to Calden before she leaves though.

    As the two of you argue and Tra'vin suggests you leave a muscular man almost seems to materialise between you.

    "If I may intrude gentlemen, leaving right now is not an option unless the two of you can leave 2437 gold on the table as you do so... if not I suggest you slowly move to the back room as Mister Farshall indicated..." he says with a quiet, calm tone.

    AvB has come and gone. Its spirit still lives on in the few active threads...

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2009

    Default Re: From Splendor to Shadow (FR 3.5)

    TWO THOUSAND... Tra'vin practically screams through clenched teeth. Remembering his composure, he pulls Calden roughly to his feet and push him towards the door. Yes, Let's go see what Mister Farshall wants in exchange. Maybe he will let you off easy and just flay your skin from your bones. I hear they do that in Calimport. Tra'vin motions grandly to their muscular escort, If you do not mind, kind sir, I will accompany my dear brother to see your Mister Farshall.
    Last edited by Barthac; 2012-06-05 at 09:10 AM.
    Something Wicked This Way Comes

    Taalkar Strongstone Sheet Notes

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    ElfRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2012

    Default Re: From Splendor to Shadow (FR 3.5)

    Estef

    Estef moves her head in a negative. She might know Mythyl by name and reputation but the name of Berenthor was alien to her. And she had learned a couple of things from Shiny, always be careful.

    -Sorry brother, I ain't accepting those terms. Negotiation is a dance of two, you know? I'll tell you two things. First, I ain't doing wet works, no chance. Second, I ain't doing anything against the will of Mystra. If the lady of mysteries blesses you and your master I'll hear you and then accept, but don't worry I can keep a secret.

    She moves, moving her weight from one feet to the other, as being slightly nervous.

    -So what is it brother? Might you make your offer anew?
    Currently playing:
    Aer the Raven in the refounding of the temple of nine swords.
    Estef in From Splendor to Shadow
    DMing Here be Dragons IC & OOC

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Aug 2011

    Default Re: From Splendor to Shadow (FR 3.5)

    Calden
    As he gets dragged into the back room he starts to panic "You wouldn't let them flay me, right brother ?! " he quietly exclaims as he tries to wriggle free of Tra'vin's grip.

    Hollaring as he gets dragged through the door "I'M TOO PRETTY TO FLAY"

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Monodominant's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Expat in Warsaw
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: From Splendor to Shadow (FR 3.5)

    @ Calden and Tra'vin

    Spoiler
    Show


    The muscled man nods at your request to join in and gives Calden a very cold and annoyed look when he screams.

    "Keep it down or lose it." he hisses as he pushes you inside. He seems less aggresive towards Tra'vin given that he has not made fuzz or anything trouble.

    Inside the small back room you find what appears to be a rather spacious office. Its decorated with shields, swords, maces and many other types of weaponry. They admittedly seem more for show than real but the effort has been made.

    There is also a large oak table, behind which you see the bald man, which one chair behind it and three chairs in front of it. There are stacks of documents and a decanter with a clear yellow liquid on the table and five glasses only one of which is full right now.

    Lastly, there are 3 more men, two humans and a half-orc hanging about.

    "Ah there you are!" he says as you enter and motions towards the two chairs.

    "And who is this? A friend? A patron? A boyfriend perhaps?" he says and gives a short laugh.

    {knowledge local if interested in learning more about him}



    @ Estef

    Spoiler
    Show


    {forgot to ask for a knowledge religion/knowledge local so I can tell you more about them... if you want roll in the OOC and I will edit this afterwards to add the follow-up}

    Its either the time of night but though the names indeed are familiar you cant seem to recall any of the details of intra-mystran politics. Shiny though, who has been where you have been and heard what you have heard whispers in your mind.

    This guy is just some mid level arcanist... a lackey of Ilbrost Mythyl who indeed is the head of the clerical division of Mystra in the city. The other one, Meleghost Starseer, is the Head Magister though so effectively he leads the temple, the priests, the wizards and everyone practicing magic. The reason that there is rift is... who else the Red Wizards. They have opened an enclave here and Meleghost has extended a hand of friendship to them and calls it 'allowing all Weavers to serve under the Goddess'. Mythyl and his supporters though disagree with this based on the reputation of the Thayans... in any case it hasnt come to blows yet or anything like that but these two would do almost everything to strike against each other and get a foot up the ladder...

    In the end its up to you who we join! Mythyl has the moral highground in this case... he is the good guy...

    Meleghost is at the top already so he actually has the power...



    Meanwhile Kevan repeats something you have missed while your crystal was talking to you.

    "I said, sister, that I understand your concern. What I can tell you is that Master Mythyl, who is a cleric of the Lady. has the best intentions at heart and despite the clandestine nature of my contact it is for the greater good that he has sent me to you..." he says and pauses.

    "Information has come to light that reveals an opportunity to reveal plotting within the Church and we want you to help us with that..."


    Last edited by Monodominant; 2012-06-04 at 04:34 PM.
    AvB has come and gone. Its spirit still lives on in the few active threads...

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2009

    Default Re: From Splendor to Shadow (FR 3.5)

    Tra'vi raises an eyebrow at the bald man. Brother he replies a little brusquely, I don't know the whole story here, but I am sure we will figure some way to pay you back. We'll just be on our way and I will make sure my brother never darkens the doorstep of your fine establishment again. Glancing at his brother he says, Let's go Calden. He moves toward the door.
    Something Wicked This Way Comes

    Taalkar Strongstone Sheet Notes

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Autopsibiofeeder's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bern, CH
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: From Splendor to Shadow (FR 3.5)

    Orgen ponders. "The city of Multum..."

    Spoiler
    Show

    Knowledge local (1d20+5)[18], bardic knowedge (perhaps?) (1d20+6)[7]
    Avatar by Recaiden

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Aug 2011

    Default Re: From Splendor to Shadow (FR 3.5)

    Calden

    Okay...lets just be cool, they couldn't possibly flay me after raising that much of a ruckus, it'd be bad for business after all.

    Getting shoved through the door managed to break his brothers grip on him a bit, slipping free and taking in the room. He immediately notices the decanter and drops into one of the free chairs and starts pouring himself a drink, taking a gulp real quick before propping his feet up on the guys desk.

    Coughing a bit and somewhat ignoring his brother"Woah...that's some good stuff ! You don't mind right ? Anyhow, Captain Killjoy there is, like he said Tra'vin, my big brother...well foster brother if you want to get technical I guess."

    Taking a sip before continuing "Much better, I gotta ask though...how'd you get those last 2 queens, I could feel it...your luck wasn't running that way"
    Last edited by LordDice; 2012-06-04 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Continuity with Barthac, tweaked a bit.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    ElfRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2012

    Default Re: From Splendor to Shadow (FR 3.5)

    Estef

    Smiles slightly, mentally thanking Shiny. She focuses once more on the lackey in front of her looking at him like she is looking him for the first time.

    -I see. Then it might be of extreme importance to take action I assume. Shall we do business in some other place brother? Or is the greater good better in alleys for now?

    Estef starts walking towards Kevan, without any harming intention, she keeps her hands in front of her, to make sure she is not intimidating.

    -We might walk. Tell me of this greater good of yours, I cannot swear to work for Myrlyl but I can promise not to work against him, and if it pleases Mystra I'll do her will.

    Estef seems to have accepted to work with Kevan, at least for now, she still has some doubts, and keeps her final word till she knows for sure what Kevan is implying.

    With a silent mental command she remembers Shiny to keep its crystalline ears open and ready, just in case any unexpected trouble reaches them.
    Last edited by Aeryr; 2012-06-04 at 04:48 PM.
    Currently playing:
    Aer the Raven in the refounding of the temple of nine swords.
    Estef in From Splendor to Shadow
    DMing Here be Dragons IC & OOC

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Monodominant's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Expat in Warsaw
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: From Splendor to Shadow (FR 3.5)

    @ Orgen

    Spoiler
    Show


    What you do know is that there is currently no city called Multum anywhere in the nearby area and most likely in the North. Still the name does ring a bell... maybe from an old legend or song but nothing concrete enough... which leads you to believe its either destroyed or ruined otherwise you would most likely have at least some passing knowledge of it.



    @ Calden and Tra'vi

    Spoiler
    Show


    Calden recalls the name now that he has heard it as well. The man before him was the owner of this place and was famous or rather infamous for his violent streak. Nothing over off course but it was said those that crossed him found themselves missing bodyparts that could be considered cosmetic... fingers, ears, noses, eyes and... well manhoods.

    As he places his foot on the desk one of the muscled men draws a small hand-axe from behind his back and grins at you.

    "Just keep it steady boy... no harm done... we were just practicing throwing axes until someone put his foot on the way!" he says and the others give appreciative nods.

    The bald man shakes his head as Tra'vin suggests leaving and Calden stops talking.

    "Enough enough! We are all civilised men! I am afraid Mr Tra'vin that your brother here is in a bit of trouble... he currently owes me a bit less than two and half thousand gold and unfortunately as both he and you are not people I, or my friends here, recognise as citisens in good standing I cant possibly just take your word for it..." he pauses and smiles.

    "Concerning your question Mr Calden... well luck favors the careful... you over-reached admittedly and got what you deserved... you dont become owner of any succesful tavern in Waterdeep without learning to trust more than... how did you call it? A feeling!" he stops at this point and pours himself also a drink.

    "So... we have a predicament. You owe me money... lots of money... I doubt you have such an amount on you or whereever it is that you are staying and I cant really let you out of my sight for more than that... so I may have a way out for you... a way to waive the debt! Are you interested?"



    @ Estef

    Spoiler
    Show


    "I do not like dark alleys any more than you do... but the High Magister has people everywhere... I am a recognisable figure so I would be blowing your most important benefit where I to be seen with you... the fact that you are not yet famous enough to be known to him or his own servants..." he pauses at this.

    "But indeed we can walk..." he says and begins walking.

    "The 'mission' is simple enough. A ruin has been discovered in the Underdark... already some of the Houses and Guilds have requested to investigate it and claim its treasures and the Lords have given permission to a mercenary company that works for a guild that works for a house that has close ties to Meleghost... We want to ensure one of our agents, is part of one such expedition... that agent will implant a particular 'item' along whatever treasures are found and this item is of significant importance and value that we believe Meleghost will claim it himself eventually... when it is in his possession it will make tracking him and basically... spying on him much easier and whats even better he would never suspect it since it came from his own people from a city never before explored!" he says very quietly.

    AvB has come and gone. Its spirit still lives on in the few active threads...

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Daftendirekt's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    WI
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: From Splendor to Shadow (FR 3.5)

    Miranda hesitates for a moment in the doorway, caught by the sheer oddity of the situation; why should Kethri be here in Waterdeep? However, joy at seeing her friend and mentor won out and she moved across the room and sat down near the blonde elven man.

    "Tui'lari miin lemna ha rie'es," she says to him in Elven, a traditional greeting for close friends long parted. Moving her elven blade to the side as she sits down, she drums her fingers against the hilt as she looks across the table with a smile.

    "What are you doing here, Kethri? Think I'm not up to the task on my own?" she adds playfully in Common, her hazel eyes twinkling.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2009

    Default Re: From Splendor to Shadow (FR 3.5)

    Tra'vin listens with his back still toward the man behind the desk.

    Tra'vin sighs heavily. He had done it again. He had gotten sucked into another one of Calden's problems. He thought about just leaving him there to fend for himself. Surely Farshall would let him leave, he didn't owe any money.

    He quickly put the thought out of his head. Turning he resumes his stance from the tavern, feet apart, arms crossed, his face set for the bad news. He stands and waits. Ready to accept whatever deal was struck between Calden and this Unger Farshall.
    Something Wicked This Way Comes

    Taalkar Strongstone Sheet Notes

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Monodominant's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Expat in Warsaw
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: From Splendor to Shadow (FR 3.5)

    Spoiler
    Show


    Barthac I will also wait for Lord's answer before responding to you guys ok?



    @ Miranda

    Spoiler
    Show


    Your old mentor smiles and responds in greeting using the appropriate response to the phrase.

    "Do not be so glum Miranda! Long time no see! I though I should brace for a hug even! One never can know with you humans!" he says and smiles.

    "So. It is not that we do not think you have everything under control but you must have heard the rumours... some of our more loud and flamboyant comrades went ahead and made a big... well... bust! Which made other smaller fish swim away..." he says more seriously.

    "Your target, Lance Hendrik, is no longer in the city. Its not even a matter of a cold trail... its a matter of having moved on to darker ventures and by darker I mean literally the Underdark. Lance's name appeared in a register for a mission taken by the 'The Bowels of the Earth' a few days ago..." he says and pauses.

    {knowledge local to recognise the name feel free to RP and roll in IC or if you have nothing to add just roll in the OOC}

    AvB has come and gone. Its spirit still lives on in the few active threads...

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Daftendirekt's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    WI
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: From Splendor to Shadow (FR 3.5)

    "Well, that figures. I haven't gotten a sniff of that bastard in days. How did you find out so easily, though? I've been here for weeks looking for him and haven't heard that tidbit."

    Spoiler
    Show
    knowledge (local) (1d20+4)[19]

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Monodominant's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Expat in Warsaw
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: From Splendor to Shadow (FR 3.5)

    @ Miranda

    Spoiler
    Show


    You have indeed heard of that group.

    It is an officially sanctioned mercenary company that undertakes missions often involving bodyguard work, exploration and raiding against Underdark locations. They boast even a couple of members of the Underdark Guides Society which is as prestigious as it gets in their line of business.

    Recently you have heard that they have gone on a quite significant recruitment drive hiring new members just to carry out smaller missions while the main mercenary body has been mostly hired for something major.

    "Well... that particular mercenary company was sanctioned, and working, for someone in the high interest list. This, combined with the fact that they recently got a new charter allowing them solo access to Multum means we were already spending time keeping tabs on them.

    As such we were quite suprised when the name of your target, our old friend Lance, showed up in their lists. Its was actually luck I would say that he got worried of our activities in the city and tried to literally hide undeground and chose the one group we were already interested in!" he says and leans back with a smile.

    "Are you thirsty by the way? I know its still early but maybe some milk or juice along with something to eat?" he asks you.

    Last edited by Monodominant; 2012-06-05 at 09:05 AM.
    AvB has come and gone. Its spirit still lives on in the few active threads...

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    ElfRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2012

    Default Re: From Splendor to Shadow (FR 3.5)

    Estef

    As the both of them keep walking Estef seems less and less concerned and a bit more interested. It seems pretty clearly that they are indeed offering her a job. But a job that would get her to accept another job, and even if it might be dangerous it should be worth it. And it didn't seem to go against the will of Mystra, surely the lady of Mysteries would appreciate that one.

    Estef focuses for a second on her companion words, echoing them in her mind will she tried really hard to make sure that she won't be forgetting any bit of the information exchanged.

    -I see... that certainly seems like a simple enough mission. But of course, the expedition to the Underdark might prove difficult, and with an unkown magical artifact.

    She stops for a second as smiles at Kevlar.

    -Let's assume for a minute that I agree to do the will of your master Myrlyl. I can see how it will benefit him, and benefiting him isn't benefiting Mystra? But brother, understand that If I agree I will be taking some risks. Venturing the underdark is not a simple thing and if I need to keep secrets from my companions I might not be able to trust them at all. So I see risk in your mision.

    She keeps walking once again and looks into the sky over her head, if she agrees to go to the Underdark would she be able to see it again? Hopefully, but for how long would she only have earth for a ceiling.

    -Don't get me wrong, I symphatize with your cause, and it is not a wet job, so I will take it. For a fee I will escort your agent to the Underdark.

    Estef stops and looks at Kevan seriously for a second without any hint of a smile.

    -Or if its your master will I might go there myself carrying an unknown magic item, and droping it among the treasures and riches of an unkown city, so an enemy of the church picks it, while surrounded by untrustworthy companions. But I will do so prepared, and with a written contract. Understood?
    Last edited by Aeryr; 2012-06-05 at 09:25 AM.
    Currently playing:
    Aer the Raven in the refounding of the temple of nine swords.
    Estef in From Splendor to Shadow
    DMing Here be Dragons IC & OOC

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Daftendirekt's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    WI
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: From Splendor to Shadow (FR 3.5)

    Filing the information presented for later use, the brunette nods thoughtfully.

    "Lunch would be fantastic, actually. It's been a while since breakfast. I have my rations of course, but those just aren't the same a s a real meal. What's good at this place?" she asks as she leans back in her chair, crossing her legs and drumming her fingers on her knee.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Monodominant's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Expat in Warsaw
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: From Splendor to Shadow (FR 3.5)

    @ Miranda

    Spoiler
    Show


    Your old friend calls out and a minute later the tavern keeper returns, keeping his eyes on the floor.

    "Please bring us some roast and some mead if you have it ready, friend." the elf speaks and the man withdraws only to return a short while later with two bowls filled with pieces of roasted pork and two cups of mead. He then bows his head and withdraws without a word.

    "So, where was I?" he says after he tastes the drink.

    "Ah yes, our old friend Lance and his heading in the dark below!" he says and smiles.

    "So, Miranda, to cut a long story short, the Harp needs to ensure that one of the following expeditions sent at the ruins of Multum has an agent of ours with it. From what we know they are still recruiting and basically what they do is send groups of 4 to 6 people along with guides down in the Underdark to explore the area around and in Multum, clear a few rooms and return with any precious items they find. Along with maybe finding Lance it would in general be good to have an account of whats going on down there...

    I understand this changes from the initial premise of your mission so if you want to pull out and be re-assigned thats understandable... the Underdark is a dangerous place and quite frankly I already said I am not going... if something goes wrong and I fall in Drow hands well... lets just say while they might make slaves off other races my fate would be much worse..."



    @ Estef

    Spoiler
    Show


    The man frowns.

    "I was told you would be much more agreeable..." he mutters.

    "In any case miss. Yes, you are absolutely right. The Underdark is not just dangerous, its deadly. Thats why we are asking a competent agent to undertake this mission.

    The item in question is not an artifact by any means... and it does not pause any threat or danger to you or even to the final recipient. Its an exquisite.... listening device lets say that makes possible to spy own even cloaked with many layers of protections from divination!" he explains somewhat frustrated.

    "As for the details... what we want you to do is join an expedition to the city of Multum. The group will be most likely comprised of adventurers, thugs and other soldiers of fortune and you will be paid from them to retrieve items from the ruins... they will actually pay you to bring back what you have! Further more off course the Church will reward you for your help and dedication... with coin, favors or magical items..."

    Last edited by Monodominant; 2012-06-05 at 09:49 AM.
    AvB has come and gone. Its spirit still lives on in the few active threads...

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Daftendirekt's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    WI
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: From Splendor to Shadow (FR 3.5)

    Miranda remains silent for a few minutes as she eats and mulls over the new direction her mission seems to be taking. Taking a long drink of mead, she wipes her mouth off and leans back in her chair, looking unblinkingly across the table at Kethri.

    "Well," she finally says. "I haven't turned down a mission yet, and if this is what the Harp requires of me, then I won't say no now. And, I must say, the Underdark does have that certain dangerous allure to it."

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Aug 2011

    Default Re: From Splendor to Shadow (FR 3.5)

    Calden

    Grimacing and gingerly taking his feet off the desk he sits back a moment. Damnit..this is rotten, if only Tra'vin hadn't walked in...maybe I could have escaped.

    Maybe it was just fate, maybe what I was feeling had something more to do with the aftermath than the cards, wouldn't be the first time. Perhaps a test is in order.


    Finishing off his glass Calden reaches into his pocket rummaging for a second before coming up with a well worn silver coin, glancing at his brother a second to make sure he sees the coin. "Good, He'll be ready if the flip comes up tails...wouldn't be the first time"

    Spinning the coin for a second on a finger before artfully flipping it into the air, catching it as it drops.

    Heads

    Quickly showing his brother so they can both relax a bit before continuing.

    "Well, the fates have spoken...What can we do for you ?"

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    ElfRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2012

    Default Re: From Splendor to Shadow (FR 3.5)

    Estef

    -Sorry brother, I might not be as agreeable as you would like. Please understand that if it weren't for the church I wouldn't be venturing in the Underdark in the first place.

    Estef raises her shoulders, trying to not think really hard on getting her ass handled to her in the Underdark, and perhaps even killed. She was pretty good at running away, but sometimes in the Underdark you just don't know where to run, or there is no way to run at all.

    -Could we reach a compromise? I cannot make an estimation of the costs of the services that I am going to provide, but I am on need of some coin if I am going to go to the Underdark. I should be prepared. Also I fear to go to the church and openly buy the scrolls I might need, for I might be questioned and I won't lie to a priest of Mystra. So maybe you could manage to get me some items. Don't think of it as a payment, think of it as an investment, after all you were the one to point out that the Underdark is deadly.

    The Shooting Star takes a piece of parchment and a small chalk and with swift traces writes a small shopping list.

    - 2 Scrolls of Locate City (usable by rangers, not complicated wizard stuff)
    - 2 Scrolls of Lay of the Land
    - A map of the Underdark known area (with a scroll case)
    - A working compass
    - 50 feet of silk rope
    - An extendable pole
    - A grapple firing crossbow
    - A Safewing emblem

    A wand of camouflage would also be useful but Estef feared that was asking to much of the poor fellow. Extorting 750 more gold pieces just so she could keep herself well hidden. Well she might just add a couple of scrolls just in case.

    -2 Scrolls of Camouflage (again usable by members of the shooting stars)

    -With this equipment I feel that I have a good chance of being able to reach the city and come back to tell the story. I am sure your master would be able to afford it, almost everything can be actually found at the temple of the Goddess. Once I return we can discuss some sort of payment. Which group is the one venturing the Underdark and where should I find them? I'll like to meet them while you get my little trifles.
    Last edited by Aeryr; 2012-06-05 at 12:11 PM.
    Currently playing:
    Aer the Raven in the refounding of the temple of nine swords.
    Estef in From Splendor to Shadow
    DMing Here be Dragons IC & OOC

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Autopsibiofeeder's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bern, CH
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: From Splendor to Shadow (FR 3.5)

    Orgen

    "Multum...does ring a bell. Can't say I recall any stories about it. I guess it is far away, either in time or geographically?"
    Avatar by Recaiden

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Monodominant's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Expat in Warsaw
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: From Splendor to Shadow (FR 3.5)

    @ Miranda

    Spoiler
    Show


    The elf smiles.

    "Splendid. The mercenary guild has their headquarters in the market ward and we believe another four groups are being sought after to head down there. If you present yourself there tomorrow I am sure they will hired you and you can take on the mission they offer..." he says and pauses.

    "Apart from whatever reward they offer the Harp wants to show its appreciation for undertaking such danger. As such I can either offer you any special provisions you may require or a monetary compensation up to 1000 gold. Half will be given now in case you need to prepare yourself and half after you report back..."



    @ Estef

    Spoiler
    Show


    He laughs for a moment.

    "You are a tough one! I believe I can have almost everything you have asked for... maybe one less of the first two scrolls you needed and most likely I wont be able to get the map. Not only are those things rare but very few individuals have them in their possession. I am lead to believe though that apart from the various 'adventurers' there will be a guide with you in this venture... Also I would like to ask that you return any items you do not use to the temple in the end... if you want to keep them they can form part of your reward." he says and pauses.

    "To give you the exact details a mercenary company by the name 'The Bowels of the Earth' is recruiting individuals for exploration and retrieval of items from Multum. You are to present yourself to their offices in the Trades Ward tomorrow and apply to join one of the groups that will be sent there... once in Multum when you group manages to find sufficient relics depending on what the company asks you off course you can plant the item and return the 'loot' to them..."



    @ Orgen

    Spoiler
    Show


    The man smiles

    "Almost. It is relatively close one can say... it was a very famous trading city in the Upperdark, the top most layer of the Underdark, and not that far from here..." he says and pauses.

    "Multum, or Drowned Multum as its more often called, was plunged into the waters of the Elemental Plane of Water around 1289 DR after a group of evil outsiders failed to conquer the city. Almost all inhabitants drowned with the city and creatures of the the Water plane called it home for almost 100 years.

    It seems those whatever incantations or portals had been created have now malfunctioned or close and along with this damnable drought the city has resurfaced... or parts of it have anyway!" he explains eagerly.



    @ Calden and Tra'vin

    Spoiler
    Show


    "Wonderful!" The man responds.

    "It is always so much better to not have to cut people's fingers off!" he says calmly and finishes his own drink.

    "So... thing is... one of my men got drunk a couple of days ago and ended up gutting some very important people. Now most of that has been cleared up with the employers of said important people... who happen to be the 'The Bowels of the Earth' mercenary company who in turn serve an important enough guild that works mostly for a fairly important Noble house..." he says and pauses again to see if you are following.

    "I was as such planning to send over two of my men to take the position of the dead guys for a short mission the mercenaries are planning down in the Underdark... so imagine how great it is that I have found 2 people willing to handle this for me in exchange for their debt! Pretty great no?"

    AvB has come and gone. Its spirit still lives on in the few active threads...

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Autopsibiofeeder's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bern, CH
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: From Splendor to Shadow (FR 3.5)

    Orgen

    Orgen listens intently and gasps while scribbling down some small notes. "Now that is an amazing story! So, the city has resurfaced." Orgen ponders a small moment after his dramatic assessment of the situation. "The waters, though, must have been devastating. So many scripts will have been lost, destroyed. Such a shame. Water washing away the sin, but also some fruits." Orgen stands up to grab an ink vial from his bag. He seats himself, dips his pen in the ink and adresses the elder: "Do you think it worth while sending an expedition there...do you know where this city can be found?" He taps some with his foot and bites the end of his pen and comes to his senses. "I hope you do not mind me asking and making notes, but this sounds like a tale to be told and investigated."
    Avatar by Recaiden

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •