New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Waters of Life

Simon

Spoiler
    Show
    "Something strange," repeated the priestess as she pushed herself to her feet. "Well, that's one way of saying it. As for the 'Winds', the miracles that the Weeping Maiden sees fit to grant a humble servant such as myself doubtless do seem odd to ..." She seemed to be struggling to find a genteel way of phrasing it. "To a naturally apt, yet woefully untrained, user like you. I take it you do plan on learning a little control from your lady friend?"

The question was slightly stern, but before Simon could reply, Émilie waved in the vague direction of the inn.

"This isn't something we should discuss right here, in any case."

~

Abel and Valerie

Spoiler
    Show
    Valerie couldn't tell whether Abel didn't hear her whisper, or was simply too fixated on the withdrawing peasants - in any case, the knight stood motionless on the market green as the masked figures turned tail and strode off purposefully. The forest swallowed them within seconds as they slipped between the outlying trees.

The gentle rhythm of the hoofbeats reached a crescendo just as Valerie saw two figures on horseback appear on the bridge from the other side of the Orne. The one on the left had a wide-brimmed hat protecting his features from the moonlight, but that in itself gave his identity away: Degaré.

The other man let his mount trail a short distance after the merchant. He was tall, she could tell, even from horseback - and broad-shouldered to boot. Under Mannslieb's silvery light, he appeared to be wrapped up well against the cold; thick boots surrounded his legs up to the shin, and much like Marperic he seemed to be wearing the sort of thin leather gloves that was fashionable in L'Anguille at the moment. His cloak was a thick, grey woolen thing, with an almost oversized hood swallowing his head - the night rendered his face completely invisible.

Abel
    Spoiler
    Show
    Abel recognises the man's garb as a Herrimault cloak - the second man appears to be one of the Faceless. (I'm guessing you have the Knights of the Grail sourcebook, but if not let me know and I'll explain a bit.)

~

Heinrich

Spoiler
    Show
    The fox perked up as the human walked away - his hurry excited it, and it jumped down from its stone seat to catch up with him, weaving between the pit fighter's legs and darting alone the lane. It didn't stop when it reached the inn. As Heinrich got to the open stable door, he saw it dash across the market green, its head low to the ground as it almost galloped off. It seemed to have thought of something better to do than hang around a boring old human.

Heinrich paused before heading in through the stable. He couldn't quite remember - had he actually left the door ajar?

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

Simon

Spoiler
    Show
    "This isn't something we should discuss right here, in any case," said the priestess.

Simon nodded. "Quite right," he mumbled. There was a slight tremor in his voice. "Let's go."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Valerie
    Spoiler
    Show

Valerie stays hidden behind the door as the horses and their riders. She's still peeking out from behind the door she stays behind.
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome dark heresy inquisitor avatar by Emperor Ing

Gender bended avatar by Emperor Ing

.... in her party dress, also by Emperor Ing

Epic imperial Guardsman by The Architect

Dingle Dongle Dangle - Do it at an Angle~

4. - Top - End - #244
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Siegfried paused for a moment taking in the sound of the voice for a moment becoming visibly relieved and he removed his hand from his axe when he recognised it as Edgard's voice. He thought for a moment on how to respond before saying"No need to be alarmed it's just Siegfried the apothecary".

5. - Top - End - #245
    Bugbear in the Playground

Abel

Spoiler
    Show
    After a long second Abel turn around to return to the stable and spots the riders. Once he does so he stops in his track and furrows his brow, why would one of the faceless be riding with a man like Degare?
    Then again anyone can wear a hood - or a hat, or even hide their true self in public for that matter.
    Still no matter their identities the riders would make likely make their intentions known soon.
    Abel reflected, as he stared at where the second riders face should be intent on not giving away Valerie's presence should their intentions be of an ill nature.
    Remember: Hope springs eternal. The dark days will pass and the sun will shine again.

The best way to learn something is to ask, so ask without shame.

Many thanks to smuchmuch for the awesome Ponytar.

6. - Top - End - #246

Heinrich
    Spoiler
    Show
    Approaching the stable once more, Heinrich noted the door and furrowed his brow. Pausing for a moment, he wondered if it was he that left it open. Then deciding that either way, he had a job to do, he stomped up to it, perhaps with a little more force than normal, and walked inside, glancing about casually.
    ~ZA

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

Simon

Spoiler
    Show
    Following Émilie's lead, the pair walked quickly to back along the edge of the market green towards the heart of the village. The priestess walked very close to Simon, her billowing sleeve brushing against his arm with every step. The ragged end of her robes trailed over the ground by his left foot, threatening to trip him at any moment.

"You haven't answered my question, young man," she murmured. "I'm sure I don't have to tell you that things can get ... uncomfortable, if your powers become apparent to the wrong people at the wrong time. In the east, they claim to teach control to the gifted, in their Colleges. That's why you're travelling with the young lady, I think."

~

Siegfried

Spoiler
    Show
    "Ah ... Siegfried, mmm?" There was a relieved sigh. "I owe you an apology, monsieur l'apothicaire. In this afternoon's excitement, I quite forgot to learn your name. Why don't you open the door and we can be introduced properly, now."

~

Abel and Valerie

Spoiler
    Show
    The riders paused upon seeing Abel standing on the green, Degaré's malnourished horse staring at him with its bulbous eyes. For a moment, the knight errant felt quite exposed.

"Ah, Sir ... Abel, I believe? Who so valiantly defended his employer from the consequences of his own poor judgement." Degaré's lilting tone betrayed his disrespect.

The faceless man spoke in a voice like pouring gravel. "If this is some sort of trap - "

Degaré waved him into silence. "No, Sir Abel is a visitor to Remy. Drawn along the currents of wealth and trade like so many other lesser men. Gold is a fine substitute for honour these days, it would seem, even among our betters."

The thin merchant cocked his head to one side as he lapsed into silence, the corner of his mouth twitching into an arrogant smirk.

~

Heinrich

Spoiler
    Show
    In the few short minutes he had been outside, his eyes had grown used to the moonlight - by comparison, the stable seemed pitch black to Heinrich. He could just about make out the front wheels of Marperic's carriage, but anything further back than that was shrouded in darkness.

The closest stalls to the door were empty. The second on the right held Abel's horse, Dawn, who blinked at him blearily before closing her eyes once more.

From the shadowed depths of the stable, there was a sequence of creaks from up high - a long, drawn-out coughing fit of wood, as if something were trying to move slowly and silently but had just put their weight on a rather noisy plank ...

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

Simon

Spoiler
    Show
    The hedge wizard nodded, and whispered: "Valerie's from the Colleges. She's taking me to Altdorf. It was her master's task, but he got himself killed in L'Anguille. All the magic in the world doesn't make you immune to a knife in the back..."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

9. - Top - End - #249

Heinrich
    Spoiler
    Show
    In the gloom of the stable, Heinrich grinned, then drew steel and spok to the blackness. "Come out little rat, your game is over," he said in his best Breton. With a shrug, he slipped his buckler off his back and onto his arm. If anything got the pit fighter's blood up, it was the prospect of violence.
    ~ZA

10. - Top - End - #250
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Siegfried considers the elders words for a moment before replying "Of course, give me a moment."Siegfried then opens the door. As soon as it is open Siegfried says "It is more than understandable, with all the excitement going on a name is quite an easy thing to miss."

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

Simon

Spoiler
    Show
    Émilie nodded slowly. "It is true. Your powers will be as much a curse as a blessing. You will always be hated, and hunted. Those that do not understand you will fear you. Those who are weaker than you will shackle you, and claim to own your birthright. But at least escaping to the east is better than being taken by the fey." The priestess spat, a blob of phlegm arcing to the ground, where it splattered into a viscous lump.

"Your parents must have been clever ... or lucky, to hide you from the child-thieves."

~

Siegfried

Spoiler
    Show
    There were dark circles beneath Edgard's eyes visible even in the half-light of Mannslieb. He was clutching his staff with both hands, which made his bony knuckles protrude even more than normal from the paper-thin skin stretched across his hands. The vice-like grip seemed to be the only thing holding him upright.

Slowly, as if every movement were a struggle - and with several loud creaks from his spine - the village elder executed a low bow. Wobbling for a precarious moment at the perigee, he planted the butt of his stick in the earth and forced himself upright once more.

"Siegfried. Once again, we are truly blessed that you could help us this afternoon. Remy-sur-Orne will not forget. I will make sure of it."

Edgard took a deep breath, letting his eyelids fall as he did so. His expression was blank; purposefully, Siegfried suggested. Some of those cracking bones had been painfully and embarrassingly loud.

"My old bones do not lie still as happily as they once did, so I often find myself wandering after dark. And tonight, I drank too much thé, which keeps me alert. I lie down, but then nature calls ... old age is not to be recommended." He smiled. "But though I complain, I like Remy at night. Things seem so ... peaceful." Edgard turned away from the inn, gazing out at the sleeping village.
    Last edited by Thragka; 2013-01-30 at 04:15 PM.

12. - Top - End - #252

Abel
    Spoiler
    Show

I have no interest in hearing the lies you tell yourself so that you can live with your sins Degaré, so keep them to yourself.
    Abel answers with a roll of his eyes.
    Remember: Hope springs eternal. The dark days will pass and the sun will shine again.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

Abel and Valerie

Spoiler
    Show
    The smirk remained in place as if tattooed across Degaré's face.

"If you say so, Sir Abel. Truth's a funny thing, though. Its value depends on who speaks it, and who listens ... I prefer money. A coin is cold and hard and predictable, and it's worth what it says no matter who gives it to you."

The hood turned slightly towards Achille as the merchant gave his little spiel; the faceless man seemed to be silently judging Degaré. Then the shadow beneath the cloth looked out at Abel once more.

"Is it at least true" - the word was said with some disapproval - "that you are a visitor to these parts, my lord?" The hooded man's words were slow and careful, contrasting with Degaré's mocking insolence.

~

Heinrich

Spoiler
    Show
    For a heartbeat, there was silence - then, straining his ears, the pit fighter could just make out padded footfalls up above, the wooden beams of the stable rafters only giving the slightest whine in protest to whatever was moving across them. Heinrich squinted upwards into the gloom, looking for any hint of movement.

One shadow detached itself from another, moving forward with another light thump. Then came the ponderous wail of rotten timber as one of the beams gave away. Raining down from above, in the midst of the cloud of wet splinters, fell the fattest cat Heinrich had ever clapped eyes on. He raised a hand instinctively to block it; the shrieking thing came down claws first, scrabbling at his sleevesfor purchase. It delivered one panicked swipe to his nose before leapfrogging over his head. Turning on the spot, the pit fighter just caught sight of the end of its matted tail disappearing around the open door.

There was another yawning noise, and the two pieces of the broken rafter detached from the cieling, hitting the ground just beside him with a pair of drum-beats.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

Simon

Spoiler
    Show
    Clever? Simon wanted to spit out. I had to hide it even from them and all my siblings. I owe them nothing. It's my own cleverness, and nothing else, that protected me.

But he just gave a noncommittal nod. Disrespecting his old family may be frowned upon in the countryside, where, he was told, values were more conservative and authority was held in higher respect.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

15. - Top - End - #255

Heinrich
    Spoiler
    Show
    Blinking twice, the pit fighter put his sword away reluctantly, though with luck, the rotten timber's had not landed upon him, unlike that damnable cat. Wiping the traces of blood from his nose, he resumed his dull guard duty, checking that the wagon appeared to be intact and with nothing noticeable missing, not that he really remembered what was there to begin with.
    ~ZA

16. - Top - End - #256
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Siegfried examines the elder for a second before bowing politely in return. "There is no need for that. I was merely doing my job. That another will live due to my efforts is reward enough for me." Siegfried listens to the elder as he speaks replying when he has finished "Indeed peaceful it does seem. Hopefully this peacefulness will remain but who can say what tomorrow will bring."

17. - Top - End - #257

Abel
    Spoiler
    Show
    It is. Abel grant the hooded figure with a nod.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

Simon

Spoiler
    Show
    Émilie seemed to be waiting for some response from Simon as they reached the inn. Her grey eyes were fixed upon him, flicking between his left eye and his right as though trying to read his expression. Taking a step away from him, she nodded solemnly.

“If you’re afraid to talk about it - well, I can’t say you’re wrong. It is a burden you will never be free of. It will never be accepted. Many good men and women have been driven out of their minds with it.

“I wish you the best of luck.” That last sentence hung awkwardly onto the others, as though the priestess didn’t mean it nearly as much as she had believed the rest of her impromptu advice. As she walked off in the direction of her home, she spared only a moment to glance back and wave a casual goodbye.

“And thanks for your help earlier,” she added, but she wasn’t even looking at him any more. Simon watched her stroll away, her cloak melting into the night until it was just the suggestion of texture at the end of his vision.

She left him to the silence of the night, and nothing disturbed him further until Siegfried came downstairs to relieve him.

~

Siegfried

Spoiler
    Show
    ”A brighter morn,” muttered Edgard, staring off into space. The village elder sighed. “It’s what we all hope for. Age chills my heart, and I spend too long regretting what I can’t change. Better to think of the things I can, instead.” He turned to give the apothecary a sad smile.

“Good night, Herr Siegfried. I think you’ll sleep easier than me.”

Leaning on his staff, the elder plodded slowly on about the village. Even after closing the door, Siegfried could still hear the triple rhythm for some time. Two quick steps and one solid thump, gently growing quieter as Edgard got further away. It was strange to think of the old man prancing around out there, like some decrepit town guard who would be blown over by the lightest breeze.

How long Edgard stayed out there, Siegfried couldn’t tell; every so often he would hear something that might have been another tap-tap-thump, but the phantom sounds could just as well have been the creaking of a forest bough in the distance, or a trick of the wind. Eventually, the apothecary stopped worrying about the background noise. Certainly, by the time Abel and Valerie came downstairs to start their watch, Edgard was long gone.

~

Abel and Valerie

Spoiler
    Show
    ”Then, monsieur, I bid you a good night.” Barely were the words out of his mouth then the stranger yanked on his mount’s reins, drawing the horse through a tight turn. One click of his teeth - and a well-placed heel to the flank - later, and he was trotting away. As he crossed the bridge, he broke into a canter. The horse dissolved into a snorting whinny and a cloud of steaming sweat as the faceless man made all haste out of Remy-sur-Orne.

Degaré’s horse was still eyeballing Abel at least as intensely as its master. The merchant slowly lifted a hand to his brow and raised his hat.

“Much as I would love to continue this spirited discussion about the social order, I must join my most dishonourable companion and bid you farewell for now, Sir Abel.” He kept looking at Abel as he nudged his haggard steed into a wide arc. The beast sneezed in protest.

“I dare say we shall see each other again,” finished Degaré as he began to rise and fall in the saddle in time with his horse. “In fact, I look forward to it.”

His voice dissolved into the night behind him, leaving only the slow plod of hoofbeats to accompany him away from the inn. And with that, Abel was left alone on the village green. He and Valerie were bothered by nothing else until Heinrich took over from them in the small hours of the morning.

~

Heinrich

Spoiler
    Show
    As far as he could tell, Marperic’s coach was in pristine condition - the doors were shut, and it seemed entirely undisturbed except for a few dusty pawprints on the roof. It seemed that Heinrich had just concluded with all the excitement the watch was going to offer.

The sun had not quite risen, but the darkness was beginning to boil away from under the door when Matias entered the stable. The mercenary rubbed his eyes and yawned at the early start; it was contagious, as the pit fighter discovered, as he trudged his way back up to his room for a couple more hours of sleep.

~

All

The sounds of the inn waking up were gentle; downstairs, doors opened and closed as the innkeeper rose and began to prepare for breakfast. Outside, a rooster crowed briefly, but even it seemed unenthusiastic. On the second crow, something small and fast galloped across the tavern roof. There was an avian squawk, and a feline yowl, and a fluttering of feathers before the bird escaped, honking triumphantly.

A few minutes later, the floorboards of the landing creaked - an overly jolly hum signified that it was Marperic who had just woken up and was wandering downstairs. Slowly from other rooms came the shuffling and shifting of sleepy people pulling themselves out of bed. Outside, the villagers were already moving, mostly across the river and into the hillside field - d’Abenne’s employees might have the luxury of a slow start, but the average peasant lifestyle was a little more demanding.

Another door creaked open downstairs with a recognisable creak - it was the small entrance to the stables from the common room. Words were traded quickly, the volume rising rapidly - was Marperic having an argument with the innkeeper? There were hurried steps, and then d'Abenne was yelling up the stairwell.

"Up, you wretches! Come down here at once!"
    Last edited by Thragka; 2013-02-06 at 10:33 AM.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Valerie awoke from the yelling originating from downstairs. She had black lines underneath her eyes and looked very tired still.

She came down the stairs, fully clothed and her stuff with her. ''Goodmorning sir, is something wrong?'' She asked, slightly confused.
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

Simon awoke in a sour mood. If d'Abenne did not show them slightly more respect, he would have to find new employees. The hedge wizard got dressed quickly and went down the stairs alongside Valerie, his hair wild.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

21. - Top - End - #261

With not a word of complaint, though a decent delay for re-donning his armor after having removed it only a few hours prior, Heinrich found himself down in the common room, making sure his weapons were strapped properly and his armor was practical and worn properly.

"Ah, does we have the time for a decent breakfast?" He asked, his imperfect Breton shining through, as he used the words for break and fast, rather than the meal, an Imperial translation mistake, of course.
    ~ZA

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

D'Abenne cheeks were flushed red as the first of his employees made their way downstairs. Though his hands were on his hips, the attempt to look stern was somewhat negated by the manner in which he was bouncing on the balls of his feet. He met Valerie's greeting with a livid stare, and scowled at Heinrich's mangled question.

"At your own expense, Herr Bischof, unless I get some answers." Marperic flicked a thumb at the stable door, inviting them to draw closer.

"I have two questions. Which of you had the last watch this morning - "

He pushed the stable door open. In the shade beyond, the central space was remarkably empty.

" - and where the hell is my coach?"

23. - Top - End - #263
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

Siegfried awoken by the commotion, dressed as quickly as possible and hurried downstairs. Appearing at the top of the stairs still looking half asleep. Catching the second half of the last of Marperic's questions he responded sleepily with "Coach? What's wrong with the coach" .

24. - Top - End - #264

Heinrich

Heinrich frowned as his employer brought them out to the stable, where he left the coach only a scant few hours before. He scratched his chin and shrugged. "Was here on my watch..." He said rather quietly as he turned towards Matias.
    ~ZA

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

"Hmm." Simon raked his fingers through his wild hair. "If it was stolen on the last watch, it can't have gone too far."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

Heinrich looked around. The mercenary wasn't in the common room. Upstairs, the door to his room was still shut, and to Siegfried it didn't sound like there was any movement from within ...

"Leitmann," said Marperic. "Where's Leitmann?"

Before anyone could answer, a sharp honk punctured the silence from outside. It was quickly repeated, each brassy sound louder than the previous. It was the tooting of a herald's bugle, and in its wake came the rhythmic pounding of marching feet.

The innkeeper's sluggish morning humour disappeared. Plates clattered as he hurriedly cleared a table. He dragged a yellowed tablecloth from a cabinet and spread it across the surface, hammering recalcitrant creases flat beneath the heel of his palm.

The blood drained from Marperic's face. He ran a hand through his hair, unconsciously mimicking Simon.

"Ah," he said. His voice was very soft. "I expect that will be Lord Forsard."

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Valerie was muttering a silent curse under her breath, someone hadn't done a good enough job in keeping the wares safe. She headed over to a window and looked out through it, keeping an eye out for this 'Lord' whom her employer was supposed to show some wares to.
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #268

Heinrich looked up the stairs, and after glancing towards the door and the honking noise outside, he shrugged and went up the stairs to Matais's room. He tried the handle, and failing that, he pounded on the door. "Leitmann, you're needed downstairs!" The pit fighter announced loudly, so to be heard through the light door.
    ~ZA

29. - Top - End - #269
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

Siegfried keeps a close eye on what is going on around him prepaired to act should he be needed.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

The handle turned in Heinrich's grip and the door swung open without resistance. Matias was not in his room. The mercenary's pack was at the foot of the bed, and the dark bottle of mint liquor stood on the nightstand beside a misshapen candle stump. The wax was hard, frozen in place as it spilled over the rim of the saucer in which it sat, as motionless as everything else in the room.

The footfall grew louder. Through the window, Valerie could see a procession of men at arms marching along the road, escorting a figure on horseback. Towering over the half-dozen soldiers from his saddle, the rider cut an imposing figure. The bulk hidden beneath an elaborately colourful tunic hinted at the presence of armour underneath. Flowing from his shoulders, a fur-lined cloak of dark green matched his destrier's caparison, with both man and horse's garment richly embossed with golden fleurs-de-lis and stylised blue waterfalls. He wore no helmet, but his face was as utterly blank as the cold steel that could have covered it; dark green eyes that matched his cloak stared out across the heads of his guards without seeming to focus on anything in particular, and his grim frown could have been stitched in place within that short dark beard.

Keeping pace with the charger's relaxed gait, the bailiff walked on foot beside his master. The men at arms flanked the pair, three on each side, as they approached the inn. When they reached it, the soldiers lined up side by side. The butts of their halberds stamped down in unison against the earth. The man who had been at the start of the procession was holding a simple curved trumpet. Raising the instrument to his lips, he let off another couple of loud blasts. The man beside him slammed the end of his weapon against the ground once more, roaring unnecessarily loud when he spoke.

"Lord Ælfric Forsard, the Viscount Remy!"

The innkeeper hurriedly finished setting the table and half-walked, half-jogged over to the door. He turned to give his guests a look. "You'll follow me out quickly if you know what's good for you," he muttered, before throwing the door open and stepping outside. "My lord," he could be heard to mutter as he executed a low bow, one hand sweepign around to encompass the entire building. "My humble tavern is yours."

"My lord is more interested in your guests, Ronsard," announced the bailiff. He raised his hands to his mouth and shouted.

"Monsieur d'Abenne! Please make your way outside."

Marperic winced. A sound escaped from between his teeth that might have been a groan. "Well, come on then," he said, resigned. He opened the stable doors as wide as they would go, letting the morning sunlight into the dusty, slightly smelly space. Marperic took a few tentative steps towards the noble before bowing.

"My lord," he began "it is an honour - "

"It is indeed," interrupted Lord Forsard calmly. He projected his voice so that everyone could hear him - probably for the benefit of the few peasants that were starting to form a conspicuous little crowd behind the immotile men at arms. "Nonethless. I understand my bailiff has explained the generous terms I gave Achille Degaré when he fell upon my charity." It didn't seem like a question.

"Well, yes, my lord, but Degaré ... I payed for my own wares - "

"The precise nature of your business arrangement does not overly concern me," continued the noble. "You shall have to settle that with Degaré. Gideon," he said with a nod to the bailiff, "begin the inspection."

"My lord," said the bailiff. He strolled leisurely over to the stable entrance and raised an eyebrow.

"Monsieur d'Abenne, I believe you and your goods arrived in a carriage," he said slowly, turning back to the merchant. "Where is it, please?"

"Well," said Marperic sheepishly. "That, ah, is a little difficult. I'm afraid it seems to have, um. Disappeared." He looked utterly miserable.

There was a moment's silence. "Disappeared," repeated Gideon the bailiff flatly. Marperic nodded slowly. The bailiff looked up at Lord Forsard expectantly.

The nobleman spent a few seconds studying Marperic, his face perfectly blank. Then he raised one gloved hand and pointed down at the defeated-looking trader.

"Marperic d'Abenne. You were told yesterday that this inspection would be taking place. You are attempting to cheat me out of what you owe me, as well as avoid the taxes and duties of this viscountship. That is a serious offence." He paused.

"Arrest him, and take him to the castle."

The men at arms clapped their halberds against the ground once more, and four of them moved towards d'Abenne. The bailiff clapped a hand on his shoulder as the merchant began to loudly protest.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You're free to interrupt the NPC conversation before this point, if you want to.