New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Deep Forest turns 1 year old!

Well, Glasswhistle and I have made it a full year with Deep Forest! We've made some pretty good progress, and I'm pleased on all that we've done so far. Come take a look! We've gotten one full chapter done, and a subsection or two of the next.

What's it about? Have a blurb!

A quiet village resides at the edge of a vast expanse of forest, and is believed to be haunted and filled with monsters. The small community of 'monsters' who actually live there like (and sometimes encourage) this superstition for safety's sake. But when a ill-planned act of kindness brings the two worlds into contact, conflict is inevitable.

It's been a while since I last schilled this, so any opinions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We update ever Monday, so come on in and enjoy!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Deep Forest turns 1 year old!

I've had Deep Forest among my RSS feeds since last time you promoted it here, I think. So far, I'm enjoying the story and characters, and is interested in seeing where it goes next.

Usually I'm not a fan of anthro comics, but as long as you have a story angle along with it, it's fine for me.

Main gripes is that it updates too slowly - it's been updating for like a year, and it seems like things are just now starting to pick up - and that the art can be a bit rough at times (though it has gotten better).

Oh, and it would have gone much better for everyone if Andrew had just let the human girl die at the beginning. Well, except for the human girl. But she was kinda stupid, so that's probably ok.
    Yay!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, the primary inspiration for this was that comics in an anthro setting were such for their own sake, and I felt like deconstructing it a tad.

Yeah, updates are slow, but it fits the pace we can work at. Not quite at the point where we can do 2/week and not have schedule slip. We had to burn our buffer due to some health problems, but we're building it back up. The trick with updating 1/week is trying to have each strip feel self contained so that it is a full thought. Instead of having a Friday cliffhanger, y'know? If we can streamline the process to a point where we can consistently produce at a higher rate, we'll consider it.

And yes, the current problems wouldn't have come around if Andrew had let Sarah die, but we wouldn't have much of a story then, would we? Also, it's not in Andrew's nature to do something like that. If I've done my character painting right, you can see that. And it's not like Andrew's gone unpunished...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

I can totally see why updating more than once a week can be really difficult, so it wasn't as much a complaint as it was a wish for more.

And yeah, it wouldn't be much of a story if everyone was just cold and pragmatic all of the time, but it would make their lives much easier.

As for what is currently happening - they're totally gonna make everything worse with this rescue attempt they're planning. Is someone going do die? Andrew does wear a red shirt, so he's at risk. Otherwise, I think that Sven is in most risk out of the Sylvans (even though he's never worn a shirt, red or otherwise). Though, if someone dies, it's probably going to be a human, just to give them a serious reason to escalate the conflict further.
    Yay!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Do you really want me to answer that?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    Do you really want me to answer that?
    Of course not, I want you to show me by posting a lot of comic pages
    Yay!