New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Girl Genius XIII: "Gott's Leedle Feesh in Trousers!"

Quote Originally Posted by petersohn View Post
    It seems that Mechanicsburg has bigger problem than the invaders now.
    Two bug-monsters in a crashed airship don't really count as a big problem...bet Franz could stomp both of them without a second thought. If there are a lot more of them, then maybe there's an issue!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Wonder how many of these things are on the airship. If the giant weasel has a taste for bugs as well, between him and the jagers, they should be able to handle a small to moderate infestation. Poor little weasels. They never stood a chance.
    Last edited by datalaughing; 2012-06-08 at 05:34 AM.
    If you're a Brandon Sanderson fan (or you want to start being one), check out The Sanderlanche podcast!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Two bug-monsters in a crashed airship don't really count as a big problem...
    Famous last words? Things are already twice as bad as they are here:
    http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20040428

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Recognizing that Girl Genius has never shied away from tragedy, that was a pretty bleak update. Poor weasels. Poor girl. Poor captain.

Two bug-monsters in a crashed airship don't really count as a big problem...bet Franz could stomp both of them without a second thought. If there are a lot more of them, then maybe there's an issue!
    Even if there are only two of them, the implications are huge. If there was any doubt that the Other is now running the Empire, they've just been laid to rest.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2012-06-08 at 07:11 AM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

I was worried when Agatha was named the Heterodyne that it would become a bit stale but it hasn't given me reason to worry!

Todays page was quite shocking, although drama features heavily in the comic, the main panel today was a sudden stop moment in the middle of the regular flow of action thats been continuing for a while now, without disrupting the pace (I think/hope)
    The Hereafter : Civlisation has collapsed but the humanity abides. Updates every Sunday!

6. - Top - End - #36
    Firbolg in the Playground

Holy poop, I think I see what's going on here!

The weasels... Doctor Bren mutated a brood queen to make them! They're from slaver stock, but mutated... That's why they can detect them. That's why they're deadly enemies... They've got a lot of the same basic stuff.

Oh man, if the jaegers kill that furry queen, then it's game over, man. No more weasels.
    Awesome avatar by Kpenguin. ALL HAIL DOCTOR DIRE!

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Demiurge View Post
    Holy poop, I think I see what's going on here!

The weasels... Doctor Bren mutated a brood queen to make them! They're from slaver stock, but mutated... That's why they can detect them. That's why they're deadly enemies... They've got a lot of the same basic stuff.

Oh man, if the jaegers kill that furry queen, then it's game over, man. No more weasels.
    While I agree all that is plausible, I disagree with your conclusion. Even if they are a blend of warrior wasp and weasel, Tarvek is quite clearly conviced they can be bred directly, and the Hunters have not pointed out otherwise. Unless they were kept completely in the dark about weasel reproduction, they consider the big one useless. Maybe it was the original mother, but they don't believe they need her further.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2012-06-08 at 12:40 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Poor little guys.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    Even if there are only two of them, the implications are huge. If there was any doubt that the Other is now running the Empire, they've just been laid to rest.
    Quite, it seems to indicate that Lurezia now have at least one hive engine up and running around Mechanicsburg. Although one might hope that the bugs are just survivors from the original infestation that the Baron kept alive for examination.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

Hm, I just started reading this comic -- and I have to say, how did I miss something this excellent for so long?
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

Poor weasels...

Not a big problem? But those things come out of a hive engine, they're to protect the queen. This implies rather strongly that there is an active hive engine somewhere either on Castle Wulfenbach (did he repair the old one?) or under Mechanicsburg somewhere (the bugs could have come on the ship after it crashed). Either way, if there is a hive and it produces a swarm in Mechanicsburg its populous will turn on Agatha, and that would be bad.

It IS possible that these are a couple of leftover bugs from the attack on Castle Wulfenbach that were put on the escaping zeppelin to complicate things, but that would be fairly anti-climatic.

OR maybe they were captured bugs kept by the weasel handlers for experiments, or to help make the weasels in the first place. Then they escaped in the crash and they're coming to kill the remaining weasels. That makes some sense.
    Last edited by Zazu Yen; 2012-06-08 at 01:00 PM.
    This post hand crafted by a synapse cluster which also processes nuts, shellfish, alcohol, sarcasm, gluten, puns, MSG, caffeine, ennui, grains, tree pollen, abstract logic, GMO, petroleum byproducts, webcomics, 70's-80's sitcom theme music, pet dander, dubstep and EDM, aspartame, every Monty Python episode and movie, MCU, DCU, asbestos, sugar, LotR, ST, SW, PotC, lead, discworld, electric swing, latex, and Disney IPs as well as other controlled substances. Consume at your own risk.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Psion View Post
    Hm, I just started reading this comic -- and I have to say, how did I miss something this excellent for so long?
    Welcome to the world of Girl Genius! I hope you like your plots convoluted, your SCIENCE! mad and your protagonists strawberry blonde.
    Last edited by Knight13; 2012-06-08 at 01:21 PM.
    "Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire." - Jaya Ballard, Task Mage

There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved with a suitable application of high explosives.

"Time to throw the dice." - Mat Cauthon, Wheel of Time

"Nothing good can ever come from staying with normal people."

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

What is it with the sob-feast for the weasels? They are ferrets! One step removed from being verminous rodents!

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CJvR View Post
    What is it with the sob-feast for the weasels? They are ferrets! One step removed from being verminous rodents!
    1) They're wasp-eaters and wasp-detectors and thus the one weakness Lucrezia's plan has, which explains why Tarvek wants them and 2) It wouldn't surprise me if the minion in charge of them started to care for them as if they were her pets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I got the impression that these were captive Warrior Wasps ( its the slaver wasps that are the real threat), possibly there to help train the weasels
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

Not the weasels
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

They're /adorable/
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    They're /adorable/
    This is "adorable"?
    http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20120404

19. - Top - End - #49
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

While I agree all that is plausible, I disagree with your conclusion. Even if they are a blend of warrior wasp and weasel, Tarvek is quite clearly conviced they can be bred directly, and the Hunters have not pointed out otherwise. Unless they were kept completely in the dark about weasel reproduction, they consider the big one useless. Maybe it was the original mother, but they don't believe they need her further.

Grey Wolf
    I dunno, I think it's more plausible than you're giving it credit for. I don't see any indications the hunters consider the big one useless, only the short comment about it getting loose. On the other hand, the pose Big Weasel is drawn in is almost identical to the pose the Hive Queen was in, their body shapes are oddly similar, and they make very similar shrieking noises when being attacked. All circumstantial evidence, but the tinfoil in this particular hat is pretty sturdy.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2012-06-08 at 06:46 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

It is in the second panel, and ferrets are in reality.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    On the other hand, the pose Big Weasel is drawn in is almost identical to the pose the Hive Queen was in, their body shapes are oddly similar, and they make very similar shrieking noises when being attacked. All circumstantial evidence, but the tinfoil in this particular hat is pretty sturdy.
    Yeah, I too got some odd hive engine vibes from the mega-weasel the moment I saw it. Also the guy in charge of the project seemed to think it was important.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knight13 View Post
    Welcome to the world of Girl Genius! I hope you like your plots convoluted, your SCIENCE! mad and your protagonists strawberry blonde.
    Personally I prefer my protagonists brunette (*waves at his wife*), but the rest of this is completely me!

Yeah, I too got some odd hive engine vibes from the mega-weasel the moment I saw it. Also the guy in charge of the project seemed to think it was important.
    "I don't know why Bren even kept it." While the hive engine vibes are evident (though I personally think they are just Phil's art limitation vibes), the hunters know of no reason to keep the giant weasel around. Maybe it can fly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

23. - Top - End - #53

Does... Does that weasel have 8 legs?
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

24. - Top - End - #54

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Does... Does that weasel have 8 legs?
    Yes. The wasp-sniffing weasels have had 8 legs since their first appearance...probably supposed to indicate they've been spliced with spider DNA or something.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    I dunno, I think it's more plausible than you're giving it credit for. I don't see any indications the hunters consider the big one useless, only the short comment about it getting loose. On the other hand, the pose Big Weasel is drawn in is almost identical to the pose the Hive Queen was in, their body shapes are oddly similar, and they make very similar shrieking noises when being attacked. All circumstantial evidence, but the tinfoil in this particular hat is pretty sturdy.
    (my emphasis)

There is also the much more revelatory comment "I don't know why Bren even kept it..."

If they kept it around to breed more of the small weasels, I'm sure the captain would've known.

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    1) They're wasp-eaters and wasp-detectors and thus the one weakness Lucrezia's plan has, which explains why Tarvek wants them and 2) It wouldn't surprise me if the minion in charge of them started to care for them as if they were her pets.
    I'm with Lin on this one. They are absolutely adorable. Even when hissing. Maybe it depends on you being a dog-person or cat-person.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Even smug and content, only a Jäger could find Weazilla cute. And, most would find that hulking great mound of hiss cute in rage-mode.
    '~:. F5 Camper With Muscle-Memory Issues .:~'

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

The fact he calls them masters certainly gives credence to the hypothesis that he is the secret general, too.

GW
    On the other hand, it is canonical that the jaeger transformation gives you a random, unique, physical mutation (single horn, skin colour change, etc) as well as a few common-to-all-jaeger ones (pointy teeth, increased physical strength). Higgs would need to be a major exception to this. He might be a different experiment from the jaegers altogether (which should not stop him from being a general, since obviously Krosp was allowed to join).

Grey Wolf
    Ever notice that when he speaks, he doesn't open his mouth? I can't recall a time we've seen his teeth....
    Avatar by the incomparable araveugnitsuga!

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Occasional Sage View Post
    Ever notice that when he speaks, he doesn't open his mouth? I can't recall a time we've seen his teeth....
    They show up a bunch during his fight with Zola, they look like normal teeth.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Pixie in the Playground

You've never had any pet rats, I see. They are wonderful creatures.