New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 34 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1488
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Girl Genius XIII: "Gott's Leedle Feesh in Trousers!"

Woo, Sneaky Gate is back!

2. - Top - End - #992
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

3. - Top - End - #993
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well, the dreen may be big and scary, and the knights may have no match to the Baron's forces, I think the dreen are still no match for the knights.
    Guess what spell I cast before posting this message.

4. - Top - End - #994
    Barbarian in the Playground

Well, they'd look pretty stupid if what is effectively a giant chunk of metal was able to stop these "Dreen".

I'm wondering in what manner the Knight will be exploded. Melting through the hands? Ripped apart?

Maybe it kills the person inside somehow but leaves the machine intact?
    I Wanna Be the Guy Kid avatar by Ceika. Many thanks.

If I win, I get to be a king. If I lose, then I get to be a legend.

5. - Top - End - #995
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Or maybe the Dreen are extremely effective against living beings (the linked wiki article says they can kill with a touch) but not so much against clanks? Against Mechanicsburg and its monsters they'd be perfect, but with the Knights of Jove around, not so much...

6. - Top - End - #996
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

I doubt the Dreen out of action. The Gernal said they where unstopable and I don't think he was kidding either. If a very old Jaeger General is running scared, then there is EVERY reason to be scared.

(Nice to see Sneaky Gate is back!)

7. - Top - End - #997

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    The Gernal said they where unstopable and I don't think he was kidding either.
    I don't think they can be unstoppable, because if they were, the Baron would have no need of any other troops--he'd just send his unkillable, unstoppable Dreen into any situation requiring military force! The situation seems to be that the Dreen are rarely used, which implies they're scarce and valuable troops that you don't just throw away.

8. - Top - End - #998
    Troll in the Playground

Hadn't realized the Knights were so big...

Prediction: The hand didn't smash the Dreen, instead the Dreen was driven up into the Knight's arm. Next, the Dreen rips free, tears off the hand, and beats the Knight with it. Then things get messy.

We'll see how wrong I am.

9. - Top - End - #999
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I don't think they can be unstoppable, because if they were, the Baron would have no need of any other troops--he'd just send his unkillable, unstoppable Dreen into any situation requiring military force! The situation seems to be that the Dreen are rarely used, which implies they're scarce and valuable troops that you don't just throw away.
    Having an unstopable unit or two does not mean you don't need all your other units. Mainly becasue you singe (or small number) of unstopable units can only be in a few locations at a time. And the Baron has a LOT of space to cover.

10. - Top - End - #1000

NecromancerGirl

They can also be unstoppable, but come with a cost. Perhaps there is a very large chance they will do more than requested to do, in ways you do not want them to.

11. - Top - End - #1001

PirateGuy

Yeah, that knight is doomed. Worf Effect.

12. - Top - End - #1002

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Analysis View Post
    They can also be unstoppable, but come with a cost. Perhaps there is a very large chance they will do more than requested to do, in ways you do not want them to.
    Or perhaps they're like the Uligb in Buck Godot -- more than powerful enough to be going on with against most threats, but they have their own priorities and ways at looking at the world that makes them not useful in all situations. Or some other kind of flaw that can be exploited by someone expecting to encounter a Dreen.

As for what that flaw is -- could literally be anything. It could be that they're omnicidal maniacs, and thus very unpopular to unleash in an empire where the Baron, powerful as he is, still counts on at least some nominal support to keep everything from falling apart all at the same time, or it could be as simple as having a hole in their perception of color such that you can hide from them with perfect ease while being covered head to toe in any shade of the color purple. Or really anything else that you could imagine. That's the joy of a new, still not very well exposited, threat.
    Last edited by Imgran; 2012-10-29 at 03:11 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1003
    Ogre in the Playground

Or they're so unstoppable they can't stop what they've been sent to do in order to do anything else along the way or also needs doing. :)

14. - Top - End - #1004

Quote Originally Posted by Analysis View Post
    Yeah, I can totally see them as being GG's equivalent to the Dementors, right down to the being used as prison guards. The Barom may have them on a leash, but they are not something he or anyone else wants to see turned loose on the world. But hey that's Klaus. "Always the right monster for the right job."
    Last edited by ChowGuy; 2012-10-29 at 07:06 PM.
    ChowGuy - The LaChoy Dragon - Servant of the Tiger and disciple of the Wanderer
    The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum.

15. - Top - End - #1005
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Imgran View Post
    He probably should have grabbed the Dreen and thrown him/her/it/them into the middle of next month. Super-strong and invulnerable doesn't help if you're suddenly several miles away from the action...

16. - Top - End - #1006
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Yep, the Dreen ARE that tough.

17. - Top - End - #1007
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah....The heterodynes should probably get a few of their own....

18. - Top - End - #1008

Quote Originally Posted by Imgran View Post
    I don't know that it qualifies as Worf Effect since we're seeing both the robo-knights and the dreen for the first time. So going into the fight we don't really know how tough either of them are. That being said, yeah, the dreen look like bad news. I wonder what mad spark came up with them and how Klaus got control.
    If you're a Brandon Sanderson fan (or you want to start being one), check out The Sanderlanche podcast!

19. - Top - End - #1009

Well, the knight was just stupid enough to assume that the dreen is dead.

20. - Top - End - #1010
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by petersohn View Post
    Well, the knight is just stupid and probably soon to be dead.
    Fixed that for you.

Actually that "knight" is a pretender to the thrown of the Storm King. He clearly does not know that Tarvek is way out ahead in that department after being recognized by the Muses.

21. - Top - End - #1011
    Troll in the Playground

So this is one if Tarvek's cousins who he spent most of his life protecting himself (and Violetta) from, and who are much worse than he is. I've got to say, I'm not impressed. Tweedle apparently knows nothing about Dreen, and is foolish enough to assume an enemy he knows nothing about can be easily defeated. I suspect he's going to be a royal pain in the butt hanging around Agatha trying to 'protect' and direct her, and she's going to wind up decking him.

The Dreen becomes scarier the more we see of it.

22. - Top - End - #1012
    Pixie in the Playground

Just noticed something while browsing through some older comics.

With the lightning storm brewing nicely in the background now...

and the castle "needing a spark", quite likely just like Franz...

the observation tower always getting hit by lightning seems very much like foreshadowing. And it's been mentioned to Agatha, no less!

(Sorry if this has already been pointed out repeatedly, I've got some problems with searching on this forum...)

Edit: Typo fixed.
    Last edited by inwerno; 2012-10-31 at 07:23 AM.

23. - Top - End - #1013

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    I suspect he's going to be a royal pain in the butt hanging around Agatha trying to 'protect' and direct her, and she's going to wind up decking him.
    I suspect he's going to be dead by the end of the week (that's the real life week, not an in-comic week)...

24. - Top - End - #1014

So this is one if Tarvek's cousins who he spent most of his life protecting himself (and Violetta) from, and who are much worse than he is. I've got to say, I'm not impressed...
    Tarvek needed to play the fool in order to survive.

It is possible that for the job of storm king, "fool" is an advantage rather than a flaw. Those with the most power, may not wish to make themselves a target and may not be young and pretty enough to play storm king anyways. So they promote whoever they think makes best puppet as their "king". A fool is less likely to out scheme them.

(Tarvek got the job while pretending to not pay attention to his lessons, etc. Possible this cousin is a playboy who really didn't pay attention)

It is not even clear that the knights of jove are showing their full hand yet... They send in first army of clanks, then this army of "storm king" clanks lead by disposable middle management, they may still have reserves elsewhere. Klaus has left rest of empire vulnerable, so the feigned attacks elsewhere may become the main play. "We must help help our future king and queen overthrow the tyrant!"

The deep thinkers seemed to think that the empire was in danger, and Klaus putting everything in one spot means rest may crumble faster, he may lose control of his economy/supply lines/factories.
    Last edited by multilis; 2012-11-02 at 12:41 AM.

25. - Top - End - #1015

New page is up, and leaves some questions about loyalties.

26. - Top - End - #1016

So are these fools going to start fighting each other or are they going to help Agatha and fight each other after this battle?

27. - Top - End - #1017

Wait, what?
    If you're a Brandon Sanderson fan (or you want to start being one), check out The Sanderlanche podcast!

28. - Top - End - #1018
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by petersohn View Post
    So are these fools going to start fighting each other or are they going to help Agatha and fight each other after this battle?
    Not going to be a fight. Tarveks is probably a better at fighting (though not at Gil's level). And Tarvek is certainly a LOT smarter.

29. - Top - End - #1019
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by datalaughing View Post
    Wait, what?
    Well, I suppose the Knights of Jove might historically be regarded as allies of the Heterodynes. As such, the Abbess might assume they'll be fighting along side them, since she's not in the loop about all the power plays going on and aware the KoJ are now enemies. Or at least not friends.

Good to see von Zinzer and Co. got the Paladins up and running.

I'm wondering about the lightning stick. Agatha had it when she zapped Franz and for a bit afterwards; I wonder where she put it down.

30. - Top - End - #1020
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

I'm wondering about the lightning stick. Agatha had it when she zapped Franz and for a bit afterwards; I wonder where she put it down.
    Probably put it down it down when the Knights showed up or dropped it when Tarvek and the General grabbed her to run.