New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 36 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1488
  1. - Top - End - #1051
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Girl Genius XIII: "Gott's Leedle Feesh in Trousers!"

Quote Originally Posted by Old Curmudgeon View Post
    If the Princes of Sturmhalten have usually had good relations with The Heterodyne, the Abbess may well have been consulted for approval by the Knights of Jove for approval of their plan to unite a "fake" Storm King with a "fake" Heterodyne.
    Or believes there is a real-enough Storm King along with a fake Heterodyne running around. If there are multiple candidates for both positions running around, how does one determine which is real, aka evil clone problem?

2. - Top - End - #1052
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Judging from the precedent of all the pretenderships and succession crises that have cropped up throughout history, the best way to get this sorted out is to have the armies of the two candidates fight to the bitter end. Since the ensuing destruction and horrific loss of life is obviously undesirable, I propose that Agatha and Zola duel each other for the title of Lady Heterodyne.
    Quote Originally Posted by Book of Erotic Fantasy
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    If you use a blood-based McGuffin in a campaign with a vampire PC, plan for what will happen when said PC sticks it in his mouth.

3. - Top - End - #1053
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Teln View Post
    Judging from the precedent of all the pretenderships and succession crises that have cropped up throughout history, the best way to get this sorted out is to have the armies of the two candidates fight to the bitter end. Since the ensuing destruction and horrific loss of life is obviously undesirable, I propose that Agatha and Zola duel each other for the title of Lady Heterodyne.
    I shall ready the chocolate pudding pit immediately!
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

4. - Top - End - #1054
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I shall ready the chocolate pudding pit immediately!
    Sounds like something for the XXXenophile edition of Girl Genius.

5. - Top - End - #1055
    Ogre in the Playground

I was going to ask mud or jello, but didn't want to be that guy.

6. - Top - End - #1056

Quote Originally Posted by BannedInSchool View Post
    I was going to ask mud or jello, but didn't want to be that guy.
    I dont mind being that guy. Bill Murray from Stripes was that kind of guy, and he was awesome.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

7. - Top - End - #1057

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I don't think so--why would he say that he's been told Tarvek is dead? He should be deploying that argument directly, e.g. "But you died and were resurrected, so you're no longer the rightful heir".
    From a mundane point of view Tarvek was last known to the outside world to either be a prisoner in the hospital, which was destroyed, or to have escaped into the Castle, which is a known death-trap, depending on what messages Violetta was able to send before she broke Tarvek out and thats why he was told Tarvek was dead.

From a more sinister point of view its because someone did in fact deliberately infect Tarvek, has thus inadvertantly tipped his hand with his premature anouncement of Tarveks death, since nobody but the perpetrator could know that, and wont Tarvek be interested when he figures that out?

This would also help explain why the strip spent so much time on the curing arc- it wasnt just deus ex machina to insert a random sidetracking or a bit of romance development or as an excuse to get them within Lion range of the Castle; it was to set up and characterise a future major plot point, while also enabling lots of other stuff in the story.
    Last edited by VariaVespasa; 2012-11-08 at 05:41 AM.
    \'Twas brillig, and the slithey toves....

8. - Top - End - #1058
    Titan in the Playground

Remind me, please - who is the Storm King and why does everyone think he's relevant? Unless I missed something, all we got was some sort of legend.
    Last edited by Morty; 2012-11-08 at 10:01 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

9. - Top - End - #1059

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Remind me, please - who is the Storm King and why does everyone think he's relevant? Unless I missed something, all we got was some sort of legend.
    Im not certain but I think its basically like saying the old emperors of japan are returning, its a huge thing from a historical angle. A symbol of the old rulers who kept things under control or whatever. The Storm King would have a legitimate claim on some unspecified portion of europa, which would attract followers, which would make them a world power. Much like Agatha being THE heterodyne. Its a lot easier to build off of an established base than to start from scratch.

10. - Top - End - #1060
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

What Traab said. But there is a lot of support for a Storm King from the upper ranks of the nobility in the form of a group called the Knights of Jove. Not because the want a Stomr King to rule them, but so they can put a puppet Storm King on the throne and regain their lost power.

11. - Top - End - #1061
    Ogre in the Playground

Storm King Opera: http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20080204

So he could have brought peace to Europa, but ran off looking for some girl.

12. - Top - End - #1062
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I think a better metaphor may be the Holy Roman Empire.

In the past, there was the Storm King, a mythic figure who united Europa battled the evil heterodynes, married a heterodyne princess, and ruled with justice and wisdom. In the process he employed Van Rinji, the greatest spark in history.

He has since passed into myth and legend. After his fall, you have the Long War, where a hundred noble families and a thousand spark princes struggled for dominance. This lasts until the Heterodyne Boys start wandering around europe, putting down the belligerents and solving problems. Then the Other shows up, both the Other and the Heterodynes vanish, and the whole thing starts up again.

Until Klaus gets back.

The current state of things is that everybody hates and fears Klaus. All movers and shakers in Europa want to replace Klaus.

This is where the Storm King legend comes in. Everybody grows up hearing stories about the Storm King, and everybody hates Klaus. So, if you show up claiming to be the heir of the Storm King, and re-enact the Opera (marrying the heterodyne princess) to boot, everybody is convinced that the Wulfenbach era is over, and you get every power-hungry noble, dissatisfied rebel, and idealistic peasant flocking to your banner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

13. - Top - End - #1063
    Troll in the Playground

I would agree with both the Japanese Emperor and Holy Roman Emperor (or would that be Caesar?) motifs, but I'd also put forward King Arthur. Reborn. With Agatha as the Sword in the Stone as proof of his identity.

Which is why everyone wants to get their hands on her...

14. - Top - End - #1064
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, yes. That makes sense. The Storm King is really little more than a legend the nobles are using as a banner.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

15. - Top - End - #1065
    Bugbear in the Playground

The problem with basing your plans on epic opera is that in the end, no one ever seems to win. Siegmund and Hundig both end up dead, and Sieglinde dies in childbirth. Then Hagen kills both Siedfried and Gunther, Brunnhilde climbs into a funeral pyre (bringing down Valhalla) and the Rhinemaidens drown Hagen.

Agatha's best bet id to be Gurtrune if she can get the rest of Gibichung vassals to follow her, but that's hardly a given, and neither she nor they are exactly the heroes of the piece.

*Goes off singing "Kill da wabbit!*
    Last edited by ChowGuy; 2012-11-08 at 05:22 PM.
    ChowGuy - The LaChoy Dragon - Servant of the Tiger and disciple of the Wanderer
    The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum.

16. - Top - End - #1066
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ChowGuy View Post
    The problem with basing your plans on epic opera is that in the end, no one ever seems to win. Siegmund and Hundig both end up dead, and Sieglinde dies in childbirth. Then Hagen kills both Siedfried and Gunther, Brunnhilde climbs into a funeral pyre (bringing down Valhalla) and the Rhinemaidens drown Hagen.

Agatha's best bet id to be Gurtrune if she can get the rest of Gibichung vassals to follow her, but that's hardly a given, and neither she nor they are exactly the heroes of the piece.

*Goes off singing "Kill da wabbit!*
    You'd think that's the only opera there is. The hammerhead chorus I believe refers to the Anvil Chorus from Verdi's Il Trovatore which I'll grant you doesn't have a happy ending, but on the other hand the beautiful princess being shouted at by the evil sorcerer and the lover's duet that tests the performance range of any performer sound to me like a reference to the Mozart's Magic Flute (Queen of the Night aria), which does have a happy enough ending.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

17. - Top - End - #1067
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd assume that the original Storm King was still a real person though, even if a myth has grown up around his activities.

But I'm still a little sad there wasn't really a Martian clank dragon.

18. - Top - End - #1068
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

And the clockwork giraffe, can't forget the clockwork giraffe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

19. - Top - End - #1069

You'd think that's the only opera there is.
    No no. There's also Faust the evil sorcerer wannabe, and Rigoletto, which don't end well but don't really have a triangle. Pagliacci does but also doesn't end well. On the other hand, there's the Barber of Seville which doesn't turn out too bad so meh. Not even going to get into Tristane and Isolde which is best appreciated in the original Klingon :P

Too many really to list. Generally though the classic rule of drama holds: if it ends well it's a comedy, if not it's a tragedy, and if there's more then obe suitor it tends to be the latter.
    The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum.

20. - Top - End - #1070

You'd think that's the only opera there is.
    No no. There's also Faust the evil sorcerer wannabe, and Rigoletto, which don't end well but don't really have a triangle. Pagliacci does but also doesn't end well. On the other hand, there's the Barber of Seville which doesn't turn out too bad so meh. Not even going to get into Tristane and Isolde which is best appreciated in the original Klingon :P

Too many really to list. Generally though the classic rule of drama holds: if it ends well it's a comedy, if not it's a tragedy, and if there's more then one suitor it tends to be the latter.

Of course this is the Folio's and everything gets played for laughs, including the destruction of Europa so who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    And the clockwork giraffe, can't forget the clockwork giraffe.
    Yeeah.... that...
    Last edited by ChowGuy; 2012-11-08 at 11:45 PM.

21. - Top - End - #1071

PirateGuy

To sort of really put this in full perspective, let's imagine that you could combine the awesome aspects of King Arthur and Charlemagne. Someone has already mentioned Arthurian legend, and someone else mentioned the Holy Roman Empire, but what we have here is really a mix of the best attributes of both.

A political and military genius (Charlemagne) surrounded by a powerful order of knights not much less awesome than he is (Knights of the Round Table), and flanked by a powerful mythical significance that serves as a unifying identity symbol for an entire people (both). Unlike Arthur, a unifier and strong leader figure that crushed all opposition and held the chaos at bay throughout his life. Unlike Charlemagne, beholden to no power greater than his own. And the return legend is a bit different from Arthur since no one's really saying that the old king himself will return -- but a reign of the heirs of the storm King is a good substitute, while like Charlemagne, most of the great nations of Europe harken their right to rule back to the lands created in the wake of his reign.

22. - Top - End - #1072
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I'd assume that the original Storm King was still a real person though, even if a myth has grown up around his activities.

But I'm still a little sad there wasn't really a Martian clank dragon.
    He was. Andronicus Valois was I think his name.

And from the Professor's description, his opera has a tragic ending too. He dedicated his life to chasing his princess, and as a result his kingdom falls apart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

23. - Top - End - #1073
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGuy

... how does one determine which is real, aka evil clone problem?
    Traditionally this is determined for men through facial hair. Gotee? Cool-evil. Bald with fu-manchu? Diabolical evil. Clean-shaven with disarming smile and sweater-vest? Don't bother running, it's already too late.

For women, whichever one is the least dressed, or was most recently snogging the hero is the evil one ... (considers the comic) ... which helps us not at all. Especially since Agatha/Lucrecia IS her own evil-clone. In defense of the trope it is worth noting that at Lucrecia DID take her very first opportunity in Agathas body to strip off and wiggle at Tarvek. (bless her)

24. - Top - End - #1074
    Ogre in the Playground

Moloch REALLY does not want to be a minion, but he continues to excel at it...
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #1075
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah. Moloch is great.

His rare appearance always brightens the comic.

Its nice to have a down to earth guy kicking ass.

26. - Top - End - #1076

I just love the fact that everything he does further reinforces his position of being chief minion, without him even realizing. As far as he is concerned, he is herding cats so HE doesnt get killed in the invasion. He isnt really doing it because, "THE HETERODYNE COMMANDS YOU!" He just doesnt want to get killed by everything.

27. - Top - End - #1077

And the best way not getting killed is making sure the Heterodyne is not killed, which in this case means helping her. In other situations this may mean hitting her with the wrench, if she is about to get herself killed along with all minions/sidekicks/whatever. Though Agatha is smart enough not to do that most of the time.
    Guess what spell I cast before posting this message.

28. - Top - End - #1078
    Troll in the Playground

(...) He just doesnt want to get killed by everything.
    It seems to be his life philosophy.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

29. - Top - End - #1079

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    King of a small but powerful country. Sounds like Irelandish (which would also explain the red hair)

The Storm King and the Heterodynes seem to be constantly at odds, but working together, historically.
    Writer, editor. See my works at http://theleakingpen.net

30. - Top - End - #1080

RedWizardGuy

I don't mind being that guy. Bill Murray from Stripes was that kind of guy, and he was awesome.
    I'm glad you don't mind, otherwise a perfectly good straight line would have gone to waste.
    Quote Originally Posted by Book of Erotic Fantasy
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    If you use a blood-based McGuffin in a campaign with a vampire PC, plan for what will happen when said PC sticks it in his mouth.