New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 37 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12272829303132333435363738394041424344454647 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1488
  1. - Top - End - #1081
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Girl Genius XIII: "Gott's Leedle Feesh in Trousers!"

Moloch's expressions are really adorable in this page.

2. - Top - End - #1082
    Barbarian in the Playground

If you read the second novel you find out that the reality of the Storm King's story is somewhat different from the legend.

For the purposes of the plan that the Knights of Jove have going, though, he's basically King Arthur. Everyone knows the legend, and while they understand that it's just a legend, there's some part of them that wants it to be true. It's stronger than the Arthur legend, actually, because more of it is based on historical fact. Europa is in bad shape and even the people who are doing ok aren't really happy, and no one actually likes the Baron. And here's this legend with a prophecy about how Europa can only be at peace when the Storm King and the Heterodyne princess get together, like the Arthur legend saying he'll return when his country needs him most. So they've arranged for it to look like the legend is coming true, and the people of Europa, desperate to feel safe and secure and not oppressed under the thumb of a tyrannical madboy, will cheer and submit happily to them of their own free will, or that's the plan at least. It's really kind of ingenious. Does make you wonder, though, if the muses really did say something of the sort and how much they really knew way back when. Hopefully the third novel will go into it a bit more.
    If you're a Brandon Sanderson fan (or you want to start being one), check out The Sanderlanche podcast!

3. - Top - End - #1083
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    Holy Roman Emperor (or would that be Caesar?)
    A bit of digging on the HRE indicates the later rulers preferred 'Emperor'.

Also, assuming that the lightning bolt revives the Castle, we know how much energy it needs - 1.21 jigawatts.

4. - Top - End - #1084
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post

Also, assuming that the lightning bolt revives the Castle, we know how much energy it needs - 1.21 jigawatts.
    That's heavy, man.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

5. - Top - End - #1085
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

This might be wishful thinking, but once the Baron actually dies, Gil, Agatha, and Tarvek might form some kind of Triumvirate or at least some inviolate series of treaties that divvy up conquered madboys between the Sparks themselves (relocated to Mechanicsburg or some other town of the Heterodyne empire), the clanks and constructs (moved to Gil's purview), and the people (moved to the Storm King's domain. Of course, there's still the Other and the remainder of the Knights of Jove to deal with, but if Tarvek can get some loyalists on his side then they should be OK. As for physical territory, I'm fairly certain they can just all claim that forested no-mans-land and have some more protected lands closer to the Europan border.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

6. - Top - End - #1086
    Colossus in the Playground

The problem is, sparks are the greatest weapon designers and builders on earth. Giving them all to agatha? That would make gils clanks outdated in a week, and tarvek has nothing but foot soldiers so he would be bottom rung.

Another way to describe it would be, divide up all of europe, all nukes and missiles go to great britain, france gets all the armored divisions, and spain gets all the infantry. Who is the biggest threat there? Sure spain has a massive army, and france has all the tanks and such, but britain can just carpet bomb them to hell and back before they ever even reach the borders.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

7. - Top - End - #1087
    Ogre in the Playground

If Storm King and Van Rijn are references to real people, going purely by names, perhaps those people in question could be Louis XIV (aka Sun King) and Rembrandt (whose full name is Rembrandt Harmenszoon van Rijn).

8. - Top - End - #1088
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    The problem is, sparks are the greatest weapon designers and builders on earth. Giving them all to agatha? That would make gils clanks outdated in a week, and tarvek has nothing but foot soldiers so he would be bottom rung.

Another way to describe it would be, divide up all of europe, all nukes and missiles go to great britain, france gets all the armored divisions, and spain gets all the infantry. Who is the biggest threat there? Sure spain has a massive army, and france has all the tanks and such, but britain can just carpet bomb them to hell and back before they ever even reach the borders.
    hrm. I see your point. Maybe the person with the territory they're closest to gets first pick, or the sentient things get to choose. It's not a perfect system by any means. (although comparing Sparks to nukes is a touch hyperbolic. Effective, but hyperbolic) Although three combined nations with carpet-bombing capabilities, a wide array of armored divisions, and a vast infantry could prove a very serious threat to any of their neighbors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

9. - Top - End - #1089
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by endoperez View Post
    If Storm King and Van Rijn are references to real people, going purely by names, perhaps those people in question could be Louis XIV (aka Sun King) and Rembrandt (whose full name is Rembrandt Harmenszoon van Rijn).
    Van Rijin does seem to have been Rembrandt. But don't think the Storm King was Louis XIV, unless there was a HUGE personality transplant made on him. Also the Storm King seems to have been from an area somewhat close the Mechanicsburg which is South Eastern Europe/Modern Day Romania/Southern Germany. A very long distance from France. I suspect that the Storm King isn't a well known histroical figure (maybe a minor one ).

10. - Top - End - #1090
    Halfling in the Playground

Chimera

A brief tangent, if I may be indulged, for a project in which Professor Wright was involved. Please go look at:

The World of Steam Kickstarter.

Take a look at their video, the project looks mindblowingly awesome. Scroll down through their Incentives to see the gorgeous poster the Professor created for them.

(Just imagine if they got licensed by Studio Foglio.... )

11. - Top - End - #1091

PirateGuy

Why are we assuming the sparks would be able to work together?

Besides, if Agatha needs sparks, she can just build them.

12. - Top - End - #1092

Quote Originally Posted by Imgran View Post
    Why are we assuming the sparks would be able to work together?

Besides, if Agatha needs sparks, she can just build them.
    Because she is the most powerful spark. It was mentioned before in the comics, that lesser sparks are drawn to those more powerful and tend to work for them. Like the next tier up from minion. The sparks would tend to flock towards agatha because she is the heterodyne. It may be like herding cats to get them to concentrate on specific tasks, but after wiping out the few too stupid to realize that rebelling against her is a bad idea, the rest would mostly fall in line.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

13. - Top - End - #1093
    Titan in the Playground

Guess what the word "caesar" means in numerous languages...
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

14. - Top - End - #1094
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Guess what the word "caesar" means in numerous languages...
    Salad?
    ChowGuy - The LaChoy Dragon - Servant of the Tiger and disciple of the Wanderer
    The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum.

15. - Top - End - #1095
    Troll in the Playground

Poor Guy just can't accept he's a henchman.

YAY! OGIES BACK!
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Akirim.elfKickstarter Avatar by Savannah
    Star Wars canon is one of those things where people have started to realize that the guys in charge are so far off their rockers that it's probably for the best to ignore them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post

OH GOD THEY'RE COMING! RUN! RUN, TURKISHPROVERB, RUN!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    GENERIC FLAMING COMMENT, POSSIBLY INVOLVING YOUR MOTHER !

16. - Top - End - #1096
    Troll in the Playground

Moloch makes the best |:( faces.

17. - Top - End - #1097
    Troll in the Playground

It's the full face beard, it gives a good framing to his face.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

18. - Top - End - #1098
    Ettin in the Playground

So...

Anyone else think that Higgs could possibly be the secret general? (I know the answer is probably yes, but hey, got to start a conversation somewhere. )

19. - Top - End - #1099
    Ettin in the Playground

Man Im such an idiot. I only NOW got who Moloch reminds me of:

Rincewind.

As long as he doesn't want to be involved, he will both be involved and flourish.

20. - Top - End - #1100
    Ettin in the Playground

Jager logic is best logic.

How to survive? Carry around the one minion that did survive criss-crossing the town!

21. - Top - End - #1101
    Titan in the Playground

To be fair, the German word for Emperor is Kaisar, which is pronounced the same as Latin Caesar.

Because she is the most powerful spark. It was mentioned before in the comics, that lesser sparks are drawn to those more powerful and tend to work for them. Like the next tier up from minion. The sparks would tend to flock towards agatha because she is the heterodyne. It may be like herding cats to get them to concentrate on specific tasks, but after wiping out the few too stupid to realize that rebelling against her is a bad idea, the rest would mostly fall in line.
    This is one reason why I believe Moloch to be some kind of thing in-between ordinary minion and Spark. It's like he has all the good stuff of Sparks, without the bad stuff.
    YouTube channel:

The Asobimashow thread |Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

22. - Top - End - #1102

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    To be fair, the German word for Emperor is Kaisar, which is pronounced the same as Latin Caesar.

This is one reason why I believe Moloch to be some kind of thing in-between ordinary minion and Spark. It's like he has all the good stuff of Sparks, without the bad stuff.
    I dunno, I think its more you have people that are just natural born minions. Their mental makeup just predisposes them to obeying commands. Moloch isnt exactly that, but he is an ex soldier, so he both knows how to obey, and apparently how to bark out orders. Honestly though, I cant believe how well they are getting along considering their multiple less than happy early encounters.

23. - Top - End - #1103
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I dunno, I think its more you have people that are just natural born minions. Their mental makeup just predisposes them to obeying commands. Moloch isnt exactly that, but he is an ex soldier, so he both knows how to obey, and apparently how to bark out orders. Honestly though, I cant believe how well they are getting along considering their multiple less than happy early encounters.
    Sparks are naturally charismatic. Getting people to obey them is kind of what they do.

Moloch is a good minion because he doesn't obey blindly. He obeys reluctantly, but efficiently. He's good at staying alive, he's got mechanical skills, and enough force of personality to boss around other minions.

Also, even if Agatha gets the castle working, you've already got wulfenbach troops inside the walls and wulfenbach airships in the sky, and a damaged town.

Just saying, this better be one hell of a lightning bolt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

24. - Top - End - #1104
    Troll in the Playground

If Agatha had more of her mobile forces around her - Jagers, the Jager generals, her armor, Otilia and her Hellkitties (I wonder where they've gone?), Franz, Zeetha and Higgs (I wonder where THEY'VE gone?), the Paladins, etc, etc - she could just form a flying wedge and smash through to the Tower. But most of those are apparently being diverted to try to defend the town. So she'll have to get through with stealth, and cunning, and what she's got.

I'm surprised Snaug and Sanaa have let Moloch out of their sights long enough for him to be kidnapped. But maybe they're too busy watching each other.

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Sparks are naturally charismatic. Getting people to obey them is kind of what they do.

Moloch is a good minion because he doesn't obey blindly. He obeys reluctantly, but efficiently. He's good at staying alive, he's got mechanical skills, and enough force of personality to boss around other minions.

Also, even if Agatha gets the castle working, you've already got wulfenbach troops inside the walls and wulfenbach airships in the sky, and a damaged town.

Just saying, this better be one hell of a lightning bolt.
    Ring the Doom Bell again. Existential despair will drop most of the organic troops, the Jagers and older Mechanicsburgers should be able to deal with what's left.

25. - Top - End - #1105

Objective: Get a critical fragile mechanical item through a warzone undamaged.

Solution: Rebuild/improve it until it is no longer fragile using materials scavenged from the warzone while traversing the warzone itself.

WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG?

26. - Top - End - #1106
    Troll in the Playground

LET'S FIND OUT! Bwaahahahhahaaa!

*ahem*

Yeah, I can only see this ending with explosions.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

27. - Top - End - #1107
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    Ring the Doom Bell again. Existential despair will drop most of the organic troops, the Jagers and older Mechanicsburgers should be able to deal with what's left.
    The Wulfenbach Clanks are a problem though. Their machineguns can chew through the Jaegers, and the Jaegers tend to fight with swords and claws, not exactly the best weapons for piercing heavily armored clanks.

But a recharged castle, or a few more franz-sized monsters can probably handle the Clanks.
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

28. - Top - End - #1108
    Bugbear in the Playground

Did Dimo (whatshisname?) just get his arm back in the last panel???
    Bad to the Bone!
    Miko Miyazaki : Strip #120 - #464 : R.I.P.

29. - Top - End - #1109
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Miklus View Post
    Did Dimo (whatshisname?) just get his arm back in the last panel???
    he's just borrowing somebody elses.
    [/Center]

30. - Top - End - #1110
    Titan in the Playground

I dont know, the Baron is proberly the most powerfull spark seen so far, and how easy was it for him to keep everyone in line?
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar