New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 153031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1488
  1. - Top - End - #1171
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: Girl Genius XIII: "Gott's Leedle Feesh in Trousers!"

Quote Originally Posted by Silva Stormrage View Post
    I felt that those bombs weren't a general bombing run of the city but just to level the walls so that the rest of the troops can get in. I mean wasn't he not going to vaporize the town so he could try and capture Agatha?
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    My point exactly. The Baron appears to be trying to capture Agatha at the moment, and he can't do that with the pointy end of a shell.
    But why on Earth would he be sending in more troops, into the city, if he's planing on blowing it up? If the Baron is waiting for his men to clear the area, sending in more men would be counter productive.

Besides, didn't he send in that Dreen (that creepy thing that looked like a L4D Witch in a bee keeper costume) to fetch her? She certainly seemed like the type you would send into a dangerous situation, when you really wanted to get the job done.

What happened to that thing anyways?
    Last edited by choken1; 2012-11-23 at 07:11 AM.

2. - Top - End - #1172
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah, I like it when every few months or so a character succeeds at something.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    How, pray tell, is that relevant to the discussion at hand?
    Because it contains an explanation of the word HUP and also that is playgrounder Sir Six getting harassed.

3. - Top - End - #1173
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by choken1 View Post
    But why on Earth would he be sending in more troops, into the city, if he's planing on blowing it up? If the Baron is waiting for his men to clear the area, sending in more men would be counter productive.

Besides, didn't he send in that Dreen (that creepy thing that looked like a L4D Witch in a bee keeper costume) to fetch her? She certainly seemed like the type you would send into a dangerous situation, when you really wanted to get the job done.

What happened to that thing anyways?
    For all the Dreen's awesomeness, it would appear Tarvek, Agatha, and the General simply ran away from it. It may not be able to move forward as fast as a human.

Also, I would imagine the Knights and the Bloodstone Paladins are attacking it and trying to drive it back...

4. - Top - End - #1174
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    Am I the only one who kind of feels like Girl Genius has a tendency to lose track of the plot? We saw it before in Sturmhalten and in the Castle, but it feels like it's happening all the time, now -- digressions into minutiae about random obstacles like finding parts for the zappy stick or whatever. It just feels chaotic, like it's not really going anywhere.
    It's clear from today's comic that powering up the zappy stick will be important to the story of how this battle goes. So it wasn't a digression. It wasn't random. People seem to have a tendency to say that about the comic every five minutes, that it's always getting distracted because it's not focusing on whatever it is they think it should be focusing on at this particular moment, but the Foglios are pretty good at this, and all those digressions that don't really matter end up mattering before all is said and done. So, me, I just go with it.
    If you're a Brandon Sanderson fan (or you want to start being one), check out The Sanderlanche podcast!

5. - Top - End - #1175
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by datalaughing View Post
    It's clear from today's comic that powering up the zappy stick will be important to the story of how this battle goes. So it wasn't a digression. It wasn't random. People seem to have a tendency to say that about the comic every five minutes, that it's always getting distracted because it's not focusing on whatever it is they think it should be focusing on at this particular moment, but the Foglios are pretty good at this, and all those digressions that don't really matter end up mattering before all is said and done. So, me, I just go with it.
    There is one problem with this. Look at the previously mentioned dreen for example. It is presented as some super-powerful, unstoppable creature that even the jägers are afraid of, and it wants to kidnap Agatha. Then from one strip to the next it disappears and we didn't hear from it since then. If we just switched to another scene not involving Agatha & co. then I might say that yes, however annoying, maybe it's an important scene. But Agatha moved on without mentioning how the dreen is dealt with.
    Guess what spell I cast before posting this message.

6. - Top - End - #1176
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by petersohn View Post
    There is one problem with this. Look at the previously mentioned dreen for example. It is presented as some super-powerful, unstoppable creature that even the jägers are afraid of, and it wants to kidnap Agatha. Then from one strip to the next it disappears and we didn't hear from it since then. If we just switched to another scene not involving Agatha & co. then I might say that yes, however annoying, maybe it's an important scene. But Agatha moved on without mentioning how the dreen is dealt with.
    Dreen is/was being slowed by the red horse clank things and tarvek's replacement. Powerful and unstoppable doesn't mean that the dreen would also be super fast & efficient as well.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

7. - Top - End - #1177
    Ettin in the Playground

It's clear from today's comic that powering up the zappy stick will be important to the story of how this battle goes. So it wasn't a digression. It wasn't random.
    Its just completely UNNECESSARY!

We don't know the full extent of the power in GG (We almost never do). She could have just set it to "High setting" or something similar. Whip out an extra battery.

This was just a dilly dally distraction.

8. - Top - End - #1178
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post

We don't know the full extent of the power in GG (We almost never do). She could have just set it to "High setting" or something similar. Whip out an extra battery.

Of course, the zappy stick always breaks or is otherwise useless at inopportune moments. This minor digression just makes sure that won't happen again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

9. - Top - End - #1179

Oh, sure, because if she suddenly was like, "Oh, look, Gil had it turned down to the low setting. I'll just flip this switch and make it 10 times as powerful," you wouldn't be crying foul at all. THAT would be poor writing. Girl Genius is meant to be read long-form. They're graphic novels. 4 pages devoted to explaining how they upgraded a weapon that will be important to the plot is nothing at all. Since it takes you a week and a half to read it a page every couple days it seems like a big departure. When you read it in context in the finished book, it will fit, just like everything else.
    If you're a Brandon Sanderson fan (or you want to start being one), check out The Sanderlanche podcast!

10. - Top - End - #1180
    Ettin in the Playground

I disagree. GG plays fast and loose with the inventions. Ones that should be revolutionary are just played for laughs and levels of power fluctuate madly.

Lets see how important this power boost is. I doubt it will be.

11. - Top - End - #1181

Quote Originally Posted by memnarch View Post
    Dreen is/was being slowed by the red horse clank things and tarvek's replacement. Powerful and unstoppable doesn't mean that the dreen would also be super fast & efficient as well.
    Heh, I love the crypt keepers. They are the ultimate in geezerdom.

As to why we went on this diversion. There are lots of things between where Agatha et all are and where they want to be. She doesn't want THIS to happen again. This makes the stick worse than useless. So we are going to improve it. For all the complaints that Girl Genius is arbitrary and silly, it actually tries to call back to old plot points, if not old jokes.

Also, we get to see things like "Dere iz a squad of bloater tanks comink dis vay!" "Ve iz on our vay to meets dem. *Hat Tip*" in this diversion.

Also, Othar Tryggvassen is the best part finder. I especially love the "Rummage Rummage" sound effect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

12. - Top - End - #1182
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, sure, because if she suddenly was like, "Oh, look, Gil had it turned down to the low setting. I'll just flip this switch and make it 10 times as powerful," you wouldn't be crying foul at all. THAT would be poor writing. Girl Genius is meant to be read long-form. They're graphic novels. 4 pages devoted to explaining how they upgraded a weapon that will be important to the plot is nothing at all. Since it takes you a week and a half to read it a page every couple days it seems like a big departure. When you read it in context in the finished book, it will fit, just like everything else.
    Yeah, this. That would be what we in the biz call and asspull...
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

13. - Top - End - #1183
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Yep. That's even worse then how they ended the Life of Pi movie.

I mean, really. They basically said "Oh, by the way? Every single thing presented as fact over nearly the entire movie? May or may not be a hallucination."
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #1184
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Yep. That's even worse then how they ended the Life of Pi movie.

Spoiler
    Show
    I mean, really. They basically said "Oh, by the way? Every single thing presented as fact over nearly the entire movie? May or may not be a hallucination."
    That's how they ended the book too.

Spoiler
    Show
    But that time, they replaced all the animals over the course of the story with humans. Among other switches, the tiger became a rapist who was employed on the ship as a cook.
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

15. - Top - End - #1185
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post

Spoiler
    Show
    But that time, they replaced all the animals over the course of the story with humans. Among other switches, the tiger became a rapist who was employed on the ship as a cook.
    Yes, that was in the movie too.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

16. - Top - End - #1186
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Yes, that was in the movie too.
    I guess my point is that it's true to the source, as well as being obnoxious and dissatisfying.

17. - Top - End - #1187
    Titan in the Playground

Huh. Well. Not watching that film then. xD
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

18. - Top - End - #1188
    Troll in the Playground

I guess my point is that it's true to the source, as well as being obnoxious and dissatisfying.
    Sounds like the director didn't learn from his failures.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

19. - Top - End - #1189
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    GG is kinda BUILT on asspulls.

20. - Top - End - #1190
    Titan in the Playground

GG is kinda BUILT on asspulls.
    In your opinion anyway.

About the only thing that springs to mind that could be considered an asspull is Agatha's glowing blue Science Goddess moment during the disease arc, but even that has a good cause (Dyne water to a Heterodyne plus electroshock from Castle Otilla).

21. - Top - End - #1191
    Ettin in the Playground

I meant that the entire POINT of GG is the whacky inventions everybody can conjure up in seconds.

I continue to point to Agathas death ray that could blast through mountains miles away.

22. - Top - End - #1192

I continue to point to Agathas death ray that could blast through mountains miles away.
    Actually, while Agatha's death ray was just there one moment (not already established but needing to be more powerful, so saying the zappy stick could be the same is ridiculous), it never would have been created without the disease arc, you know that big story that everyone complains was pointless but actually created the opportunity within the story for quite a few important things to happen to advance the "main story."

What's that, you'd like examples? Happy to. The disease story arc gave Agatha relevant story reasons to create a death ray, traverse the castle to find Gil, have a confrontation with Zola and then bring her along, have a confrontation with the doctor and with Von Pinn, create the giant tunnel that revealed Lucrezia's secret lab, discover the problem of the castle's power supply, recruit a new smoke knight minion, cause potential trouble for Tarvek's succession to the Storm King throne, find the great movement chamber, meet up with the castle/muse, etc. etc.

23. - Top - End - #1193

I meant that the entire POINT of GG is the whacky inventions everybody can conjure up in seconds.

It's possible that Agatha could have built that death ray in second, simply because I don't think that Von Zinzer would continue trying to wake her up for hours afterward.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

24. - Top - End - #1194
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wait, I thought that the ship's cook was the Zebra...
    Because the Tiger was the last human left, right? The tiger was Pi.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moemon Leafgreen (Complete)
    Long Live the Queen (Complete)
    Harvest Moon 64 (Complete)

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)
    Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

25. - Top - End - #1195
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wait, I thought that the ship's cook was the Zebra...
    Because the Tiger was the last human left, right? The tiger was Pi.
    It's been a while. However, this is all technically OT for a Girl Genius thread.

26. - Top - End - #1196
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by memnarch View Post
    It's possible that Agatha could have built that death ray in second, simply because I don't think that Von Zinzer would continue trying to wake her up for hours afterward.
    Nah. Don't you remember? "A strong Heterodyne will take about two hours to truly warp the laws of nature."
    ChowGuy - The LaChoy Dragon - Servant of the Tiger and disciple of the Wanderer
    The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum.

27. - Top - End - #1197
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

I for one am not saying that the staff upgrade isn't unnecessary; they did a good job explaining the motivation behind it. I also get it that they're trying to get from one place to another, in a middle of a war zone, so they might as well pick up some needed parts, along the way.

However, the attitude of the past few strips have been so nonchalant that you don't realize that there's a super powerful bounty hunter after them, while an enemy army is buzzy blowing up (or at very least preparing to blow up) the entire town.

None of this is me saying that the comic is bad, just that I don't feel the sense of urgency in these past few pages. With that being said and done, I really did like the part with Othar.

28. - Top - End - #1198
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by choken1 View Post
    However, the attitude of the past few strips have been so nonchalant that you don't realize that there's a super powerful bounty hunter after them, while an enemy army is buzzy blowing up (or at very least preparing to blow up) the entire town.

None of this is me saying that the comic is bad, just that I don't feel the sense of urgency in these past few pages. With that being said and done, I really did like the part with Othar.
    It's just Sparks At Play -- they never seem too concerned about mortal peril when they're working on something interesting. And the Jaegers are just being Jaegers, of course.

The Dreen, as has been established, are being delayed by Tweedle and move at an unknown speed. They may be very dangerous when close but despite their reputation they weren't able to defeat even a single Hive Engine with the close support of the Baron's top fighters -- let alone on their own. So the Dreen obviously have some sort of disadvantages that haven't been fully explained as of yet. If they didn't, Our Heroes would be very dead now wouldn't they
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

29. - Top - End - #1199
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGuy

OK, Damn you people. Now you've got me thinking in tropes. My wild guess is that the Dreen represent a maneuver that I will dub "summon bigger Whorf". Dragon is scary, but not as scary as lightning enhanced Franz. Both dragons (apparently) scatter when KoJ power-mechs land. The KoJ then demonstrate the Dreen to be fatally uncompressable, and ranking scary thing on the field.

The Dreen even have the awesome and terrible power (to a Jager) of instantly recovering their hats after a massive attack.

I'm thinking this would make toasting the now scarily established Dreen with the lightning stick lance the perfect proof of concept, and a great way for the Lady to re-establish battlefield dominance.

All wild conjecture of course.

(And what better way to flirt with Gil than to show him what she can do with his stick?)

30. - Top - End - #1200
    Ogre in the Playground

New meaning to the phrase , "Rekindling the old spark"?
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett