Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Girl Genius XIII: "Gott's Leedle Feesh in Trousers!"

On a t-shirt, surely?

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    BAH! Then on friday the lightning fades, Gil and Agatha look at each other.
    Gil: "Um, was that supposed to do something? Or were you trying to blow up the castle yourself for some reason?"

Agatha: "YES it was supposed to do something! It was supposed to . . . "

/RUUUUUMMMMMBBBLLLEEE!!!!!!!

That last bit is the entire earth shaking. Is the castle waking back up? Have the barons troops reached the castle with something huge? Find out next week on, Girl Genius!
    If this turns out to be accurate, I will laugh so hard...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

4. - Top - End - #1324
    Ogre in the Playground

Come to think of it... if the castle could be recharged from lightning strikes, then why didn't it tell agatha about the damaged collectors earlier. With Gil knowing how to summon lightning it would have been a good thing to bring up

5. - Top - End - #1325
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by slayerx View Post
    Come to think of it... if the castle could be recharged from lightning strikes, then why didn't it tell agatha about the damaged collectors earlier. With Gil knowing how to summon lightning it would have been a good thing to bring up
    Well at first the castle was too fragmented in personality. Then the damage it has taken made it unable to tell what else was wrong. Every time she fixed something, the castle noticed several new spots that had been damaged. Most likely the castle was unaware of those parts being broken, or even existing while gil was there.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

6. - Top - End - #1326
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Well at first the castle was too fragmented in personality. Then the damage it has taken made it unable to tell what else was wrong. Every time she fixed something, the castle noticed several new spots that had been damaged. Most likely the castle was unaware of those parts being broken, or even existing while gil was there.
    True but the issue of the castle's low power supply DID come up, and in addition to mentioning the dyne, the castle probably should have mentioned that it had collectors on the roof regardless of whether it knew they were functioning... especially considering that Gil had figured out how to summon lightning.

7. - Top - End - #1327
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by slayerx View Post
    True but the issue of the castle's low power supply DID come up, and in addition to mentioning the dyne, the castle probably should have mentioned that it had collectors on the roof regardless of whether it knew they were functioning... especially considering that Gil had figured out how to summon lightning.
    Yeah, but the thing is, as repairs were done it was basically allowing it to notice new sections that needed repairs. I think there was even at least one scene where the castle mentions it forgot it had one of those. (whatever "those" was.)
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

8. - Top - End - #1328
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

I could be that Der Kastel didn't every know. The manual breakers could have been put in place as a control mechanism so if it went nuts it would eventually run out of juice. (probably not though)
    Last edited by HandofShadows; 2012-12-20 at 02:49 PM.

9. - Top - End - #1329
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I am laughing. So hard. When I play a mad scientist style character, it's for moments like this.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

10. - Top - End - #1330
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, Moloch. How I love your dry wit.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

11. - Top - End - #1331
    Ettin in the Playground

Very predictable by this point. And feels forced:

"It was able to do a bunch of MINOR things with MINIMAL power? Holy crap! And its been constantly fixed by insane lunatics following orders of a nonsensical, not working castle most likely messing it up from the conflicting orders? It must mean its going to be OMG powerful now!"
    Last edited by Scowling Dragon; 2012-12-21 at 06:38 AM.

12. - Top - End - #1332
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post

"It was able to do a bunch of MINOR things with MINIMAL power? Holy crap! And its been constantly fixed by insane lunatics following orders of a nonsensical, not working castle most likely messing it up from the conflicting orders? It must mean its going to be OMG powerful now!"
    Frankly, considering what they're up against - a VERY large part of the armed forces of one of the most powerful empires on Earth, directed by a super-Spark who's flatten all opposition he's faced in the past - OMG powerful sounds about right...

Although I think Moloch may be overstating things. A lot of those fifteen years were spent just repairing damage, and the automatic defenses which der Kestle couldn't control anymore probably kept the repair crew away from the best parts.

13. - Top - End - #1333

ClericGirl

Its almost always slower to repair a structure than to build from scratch per given portion of the structure. Also they werent able to repair at anything like full speed and efficiency since a lot of their time was spent working towards the damaged area VERY slowly and carefully since the areas tended to shoot back or be full of active booby traps, and even more was spent diagnosing the problems or learning the schematics once they got there due to lack of plans for the castle. Thats what Wilhelm was doing when we met her forinstance- poking at bits of the castle to see what it did. So they may have spent 15 years at it but I doubt they got more than a year or two worth of effective work in. Plus these are sparks that are more erratic than usual, so while they may have been repairing things they have also likely been "improving" things. We've seen some of their ideas for improvements. Go back through the archives some if you've forgotten. Does anyone think theyre all going to actually help?

The castle may well be super-powered now. In places. With certain things. And other parts will just blow up, or start attacking each other or be relatively useless due to "improvements"... Like, say, one of its guns now appears to fire mimmoths instead of real ammunition because the spark who repaired the area thought it would be a good way to reduce the mimmoth infestation, or some such. And so on. The castle can self-repair with power, but I'd bet it will take it some time to work out the kinks from its previous "repairs"...
    Last edited by VariaVespasa; 2012-12-21 at 08:20 AM.
    \'Twas brillig, and the slithey toves....

14. - Top - End - #1334

ClericGirl

If you cant say anything nice...
    \'Twas brillig, and the slithey toves....

15. - Top - End - #1335
    Titan in the Playground

I agree it's predictable. Forced? I don't think so.

At any rate, this at least gives some hope of getting some legitimate progress.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

16. - Top - End - #1336
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VariaVespasa View Post
    If you cant say anything nice... Then shut up and never critique anything ever again. Because your critiquing is poisonous, and completely ruins everything ever forever*infinity.
    Maybe the intention was "The whole castle my blow up sky high from the "Improvements" once loaded with energy, and that seems to make a whole lot more sense.

17. - Top - End - #1337
    Ogre in the Playground

I, for one, welcome our new Kestle overlord.

18. - Top - End - #1338
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe the intention was "The whole castle my blow up sky high from the "Improvements" once loaded with energy, and that seems to make a whole lot more sense.
    It's not nice to mis-quote people.

There's a different between critque and being unremittingly negative. All your posts so far on Girl Genius are tending towards the latter and given you're not actually being paid to criticise work (if you are who I think you are) and are ostensibly reading it for enjoyment, one wonders why you're continuing to read something you obviously don't like.

19. - Top - End - #1339
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    Although I think Moloch may be overstating things. A lot of those fifteen years were spent just repairing damage, and the automatic defenses which der Kestle couldn't control anymore probably kept the repair crew away from the best parts.
    True, not to mention that the prisoners have only been known to try and repair the inside of der kestle itself. From what we've seen they have no been repairing and improving upon everything outside and in the town itself. So while the defenses inside of der kestle might have gotten more nuts, you couldn't really say the same for the defenses outside in the rest of the town

20. - Top - End - #1340
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    There's a different between critque and being unremittingly negative. All your posts so far on Girl Genius are tending towards the latter and given you're not actually being paid to criticise work (if you are who I think you are) and are ostensibly reading it for enjoyment, one wonders why you're continuing to read something you obviously don't like.
    Why am I not allowed to be negative?

And yes. Critique is mostly negative. And who says I don't like Girl Genius? I like girl genius.

I just say I don't like the things that I don't like. I like everything else, I just think this arc has been going on for far too long, and its repetitive elements are beginning to get annoying to me.

21. - Top - End - #1341
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    It's not nice to mis-quote people.

Trouble is, is those two arguments (say nothing but praise, stop reading if you don't like it) can be used to shutdown any criticism regardless of its validity.

The first ignores the possibility that there is legitimate criticism that can help improve the work, the second doesn't take into account that the critic may still like parts of it, or liked it in the past. Agree about the misquoting however, that's putting words in people's mouths.
    Exalted avatar remix by Musashi
    Original Avatar by Strawberries
    Character is Kin from Goblins

22. - Top - End - #1342
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGuy

People are wired differently. Some people are more are more expressive when they are happy, and shut up about what annoys them. Some people are quietly happy and become expressive when displeased. The former are labeled "mindless fanboys", the latter "whiny complainers"

Granted, I'm more of the fanboy, but Scowling_Dragon, you do come off as consistently negative. I _think_ most of us are here to say "OMG What's gonna happen?" and "ooh! this is gonna be sooo cool!" at each-other.

Doesn't bother me though. I tend to skip over complainy posts. If the pacing really is getting to you, why not take a break for a couple weeks and read a bunch of pages together as single installment?

23. - Top - End - #1343
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGuy

and on the subjects of "OMG What's gonna happen?" and "ooh! this is gonna be sooo cool!", some wild speculation:

They keep saying there is no cure for the wasp, so I suspect we'll find one. Which makes me wonder... what would happen if you gave Jagerdraught to a revenant?

Klaus would make a hell of a scary Jager wouldn't he?

24. - Top - End - #1344
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GaeasSon View Post
    Klaus would make a hell of a scary Jager wouldn't he?
    I suspect Barry had tried once already.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

25. - Top - End - #1345
    Ettin in the Playground

Thanks people, you totally explained me. For movies and media that comes in one package I tend to be more rounded as I can write off a review in one go, but for ongoing media like webcomics I tend to be more of a complainy guy.

I like GG. And sorry for putting words into the mouth, its just a really annoying thing I find to dismiss all complaints. Nobody says that when people watch the next transformers movie.

Sorry for doing so. But nah, Im not HIGHLY irritated yet. I feel like things are at least speeding up.

26. - Top - End - #1346

BarbarianGuy

...'bout damn time.

27. - Top - End - #1347
    Ettin in the Playground

OK then going to completely ignore the above post that then was deleted and just say a few nice things:

I like how things are speeding up, the art is nice, and Moloch is always great.
    Last edited by Scowling Dragon; 2012-12-21 at 03:40 PM.

28. - Top - End - #1348
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doran View Post
    Trouble is, is those two arguments (say nothing but praise, stop reading if you don't like it) can be used to shutdown any criticism regardless of its validity.

The first ignores the possibility that there is legitimate criticism that can help improve the work, the second doesn't take into account that the critic may still like parts of it, or liked it in the past.
    The problem is, criticism is pointing out the flaws and merits of a piece of work. Too many people forget about the merits part and concentrate on the flaws, be they wired differently as GaeasSon suggested or some other reason.

The issue I have, is that if a person posts nothing but negative criticism then it's very easy to assume that they only have a negative view of the work. For example, one of Scowling Dragon's many complaints is that the comic moves too slowly and it has been pointed out that this is because the pacing of the comic is intended for a collected volume, not a tri-weekly web comic.

Saying 'I find nothing of value or merit in this piece of work' and a short reasoning why, is perfectly acceptable criticism but to carry on reading it after making that statement does raise some questions.

I have no complaints about legitimate criticism (I find Phil's grasp of anatomy can be somewhat... flexible), but it should contain both aspects, not just purely negative.

I like how things are speeding up, the art is nice, and Moloch is always great.
    See? Just one of those every once in a while and everybody will be happy.
    Last edited by Brother Oni; 2012-12-22 at 07:33 AM.

29. - Top - End - #1349
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

New comic
    Spoiler
    Show
    I recognize those lights.

The Castle is about to wake up, lose any reservations it might still have been holding about Agatha, and kick ass. There's just no way this bit of buildup could be building to anything else. Mechanicsburg is about to explode in the Baron's face.

And. It. Will. Be. Awesome.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

30. - Top - End - #1350
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quickly! Pose as a furious mad scientist, because #$%& just got real!

In essence: that's how a Heterodyne should look like.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.