New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default "You don't know the power of the dark side!" (3.5 spells, PEACH)

Pull Of Darkness
    Universal (Evil)
    Level: Clr 9
    Components: V, XP (see text)
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Touch
    Target: One creature touched
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Saving Throw: Will negates
    Spell Resistance: No

This spell consists of one word, a single word which defines the entire concept of "evil". No one knows the now-lost language it came from, but the power it holds is unmistakable. As you speak the word, you channel the power of it into one creature you touch. The creature must make a Will save immediately. If they fail, the evil in their souls is brought to the surface, and their alignment immediately and permanently changes to Evil. Good-aligned characters get a +4 bonus on this save. This is not a mind-affecting spell, charm effect, compulsion, or any other type of mental effect; you simply force the evil in their soul to become dominant. This spell will affect any creature that fails its save.

You must be Evil to cast this spell. Additionally, you may not cast this through a spell, familiar, companion, or any other medium that normally lets you deliver touch spells at range; you personally must be the one to touch the effected creature.

This spell is countered by See The Light.

XP Cost: 1000EXP. You may choose to willingly expend additional EXP when you cast this spell; for every additional 1000EXP you spend, the save DC increases by +1, to a max cost of 5000EXP total.

See The Light
    Universal (Good)

This spell consists of one word, a single word which defines the entire concept of "good". No one knows the now-lost language it came from, but the power it holds is unmistakable. As you speak the word, you channel the power of it into one creature you touch. The creature must make a Will save immediately. If they fail, the good in their soul is brought to the surface, and their alignment immediately and permanently changes to Good. Evil-aligned characters get a +4 bonus on this save. This is not a mind-affecting spell, charm effect, compulsion, or any other type of mental effect; you simply force the good in their soul to become dominant. This spell will affect any creature that fails its save.

You must be Good to cast this spell. Additionally, you may not cast this through a spell, familiar, companion, or any other medium that normally lets you deliver touch spells at range; you personally must be the one to touch the effected creature.

This spell is countered by Pull Of Darkness.

XP Cost: 1000EXP. You may choose to willingly expend additional EXP when you cast this spell; for every additional 1000EXP you spend, the save DC increases by +1, to a max cost of 5000EXP total.

Surge Of Anarchy
    Universal (Chaos)

This spell consists of one word, a single word which defines the entire concept of "chaos". No one knows the now-lost language it came from, but the power it holds is unmistakable. As you speak the word, you channel the power of it into one creature you touch. The creature must make a Will save immediately. If they fail, the chaos in their soul is brought to the surface, and their alignment immediately and permanently changes to Chaotic. Lawful-aligned characters get a +4 bonus on this save. This is not a mind-affecting spell, charm effect, compulsion, or any other type of mental effect; you simply force the chaos in their soul to become dominant. This spell will affect any creature that fails its save.

You must be Chaotic to cast this spell. Additionally, you may not cast this through a spell, familiar, companion, or any other medium that normally lets you deliver touch spells at range; you personally must be the one to touch the effected creature.

This spell is countered by Stabilizing Law.

Stabilizing Law
    Universal (Law)

This spell consists of one word, a single word which defines the entire concept of "law". No one knows the now-lost language it came from, but the power it holds is unmistakable. As you speak the word, you channel the power of it into one creature you touch. The creature must make a Will save immediately. If they fail, the order in their soul is brought to the surface, and their alignment immediately and permanently changes to Lawful. Chaotic-aligned characters get a +4 bonus on this save. This is not a mind-affecting spell, charm effect, compulsion, or any other type of mental effect; you simply force the order in their soul to become dominant. This spell will affect any creature that fails its save.

You must be Lawful to cast this spell. Additionally, you may not cast this through a spell, familiar, companion, or any other medium that normally lets you deliver touch spells at range; you personally must be the one to touch the effected creature.

This spell is countered by Surge Of Anarchy.

XP Cost: 1000EXP. You may choose to willingly expend additional EXP when you cast this spell; for every additional 1000EXP you spend, the save DC increases by +1, to a max of 5000EXP total.
    Last edited by Noctis Vigil; 2012-06-08 at 12:40 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: "You don't know the power of the dark side!" (3.5 spells, PEACH)

The basic idea seems ok. I'm a little worried about the XP cost increasing the save DC indefinitely as a mechanic. That means that I can get for example a +4 bonus to the save DC at the same cost as a wish spell, and it means that if one is willing at around 19th or 20th level to give up a level you can end up pushing the save DC to essentially unbeatable levels.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Slight typo from copy-pasting. All four versions mention the evil in their souls being brought to the surface. I think the Lawful one might be best described with the order in their soul. By the way, soul should be singular in those sentences.

4. - Top - End - #4

Copy pasta errors fixed, and a cap has been added to the boosting of the DC.

As for the cost of the spell: if you really want to throw these out one after the other, the EXP cost will stack up. I think it's enough of a penalty, and the spell is far less useful than some.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

BlueWizardGirl

The spells look mostly ok except:

1.The idea of just switching alignments like a snap of the fingers is just boring. It takes away a lot of role playing to just say ''yawn Good Prince Humperdink is now Evil''. And it's worse to force this type of thing on a player.

2.Why no spell resistance? You'd think it would apply....

3.Why a permanent duration? Then it can be disspelled and such. Would it not be better as an instantaneous duration?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Why no love for neutrality? Maybe there is a neutral guy running around who thinks all the clashing of good, evil, law, and chaos are just too much and desires to make the world more neutral. It could be flavored as stripping the alignment off of a person.

Extended Homebrew Signature

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Everyone asleep in their beds in the middle of an attack on the city.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd suggest making Good Outsiders immune to Pull of Darkness. By definition, they have no "evil in their soul". And ditto goes with Evil Outsiders and See the Light.

...And Lawful Outsiders with Surge of Anarchy and Chaotic Outsiders with Stabilizing Law.

At least the Outsiders that are considered to embody those alignments, at least. You shouldn't be able to Pull of Darkness an Angel.

Fourthland: A Game of Abstraction
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Daverin View Post
    Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Virdish
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark
    There have also been times where I was jealous of your ingenuity and skills.

Extended Homebrewer's Signature

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Except that WotC has already put in a precedence for having an good outsider fall into evil. I forgot where it is but he kept his subtype but is LE.

Extended Homebrew Signature

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Everyone asleep in their beds in the middle of an attack on the city.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Virdish View Post
    Except that WotC has already put in a precedence for having an good outsider fall into evil. I forgot where it is but he kept his subtype but is LE.
    Ah, that's probably in the BoVD or one of the Fiendish Codices, books I've never obtained. My general knowledge of the topic is that they are beings of "Pure ___" and as such do not include any aspects of the other alignments which could be brought to the surface. I wouldn't be surprised if splatbooks changed that, though.

Fourthland: A Game of Abstraction
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Daverin View Post
    Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Virdish
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark
    There have also been times where I was jealous of your ingenuity and skills.

Extended Homebrewer's Signature

10. - Top - End - #10

Spoilered in case someone from my gaming group reads this:

Spoiler
    Show
    This was created as a plot point for a campaign I've been working on for some time; these will never make it into the hands of anyone but one or two NPCs, all of whom will have deity rankings. These spells were created strictly so I have a working mechanic pre-made when they reach that part of the plot.

As for Neutral versions, I'm working on it; I have a few issues to consider before actually posting final versions of it/them first.
    Last edited by Noctis Vigil; 2012-06-08 at 12:38 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

I always thought it would be cool, for spells that change your alignment so drastically, to confer an Aura of Evil (or Good, or Law, or Chaos) to the target (like the ones described in the Detect Evil spell. It's not necessary at all, but I think it's a cool way of representing mechanically any difference between someone becoming, say, evil on their own and someone becoming evil because they were touched by the embodiment of pure darkness.