New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2035363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1486
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: D&D 5th Edition: the fifth edition of the discussion thread

I would be interested in a PbP game, personally, if anyone decides to run it.
    Homebrew

Other Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Special Thanks: Kymme! You and your awesome avatarist skills have made me a Lore Warden in addition to King of Fighter Fixes!

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Ettin in the Playground

Still got room for 1-3 more people. Turns out there's a new revision of the playtest rules coming out soon, so we'll be waiting until that comes out before we start, probably starting this weekend.

Edit: Made a post in the recruitment forum, so as to stop cluttering here.
    Last edited by AgentPaper; 2012-08-08 at 12:51 PM.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Titan in the Playground

Has there been any official statement about gelantinous cubes and skeletons not having an Int score, and the gray ooze and giant centipede not having a Cha score?

That would appear as an error to me.

4. - Top - End - #1324
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    Has there been any official statement about gelantinous cubes and skeletons not having an Int score, and the gray ooze and giant centipede not having a Cha score?

That would appear as an error to me.
    Why would that be an error? I don't see why mindless oozes and skeletons should have intelligence at all.

Unless you mean they have intelligence scores and that WotC should remove them.

5. - Top - End - #1325
    Titan in the Playground

But one ooze has Int and no Cha, and another ooze has Cha and no Int.
    If this inconsistency is deliberate, they might have explained what the difference between the two is.

6. - Top - End - #1326
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, I see. That does need some justification.

7. - Top - End - #1327
    Firbolg in the Playground

Meh. Sounds to me like the obvious errors in the Armor table: "Things that we're obviously going to correct, but we just haven't focused on this part of the rules yet, so they're still in super-last-minute-rough-draft form."
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

8. - Top - End - #1328
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    Meh. Sounds to me like the obvious errors in the Armor table: "Things that we're obviously going to correct, but we just haven't focused on this part of the rules yet, so they're still in super-last-minute-rough-draft form."
    Yeah. They really don't have anything ready for the game yet except what we saw last playtest packet and what we're about to see for the next one (I would expect it within two weeks at the most). It's kind of sad.
    Homebrew

Other Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Special Thanks: Kymme! You and your awesome avatarist skills have made me a Lore Warden in addition to King of Fighter Fixes!

9. - Top - End - #1329
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

I don't mind waiting. Better to come out with the game in 2014 than to publish a bad game.

10. - Top - End - #1330
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Camelot View Post
    I don't mind waiting. Better to come out with the game in 2014 than to publish a bad game.
    Completely agree with that statement.

I know we don't want to spam this thread, but if someone can make sure they post about how the Skype game went after its done as I am sure I am not the only one who wants to read about it :)
    Boo!

Steam ID: Dublock

Battle tag: Dublock 1-7-2-5

Feel free to add me but say GitP :)

11. - Top - End - #1331
    Ettin in the Playground

I'll be posting a full report on the WotC site, so I can just cross-post that here as well.

Some initial thoughts after reading through and preparing for the game:

First off, I can definitely feel the "back to basics" approach. The rules are much simpler and easier to grok than any edition I've seen, though that only includes 3.5 and 4E, admittedly. There are a lot less useless numbers to keep track of, like Willpower/Reflex/Fortitude, and no absurdly long skill list to keep track of.

Character creation seems like it could be a lot of fun, and actually even more open-ended than 3.5, since race has actually significant effects instead of tiny little useless things. Background is also very cool, and for us provided a great starting point to build our characters around.

Theme is another big one, and seems to provide a lot of really big abilities that really shape how your character plays. The Guardian, for example, can use a shield to protect allies, or stop enemies in their tracks. The Healer on the other hand, is able to craft potions, and helps you get the most of all of your healing effects

All of this allows you to build a balanced team with different roles, but doesn't force each class into a specific role. For example, the Cleric in the module has the Guardian theme, which makes him the de-facto tank, whereas the Fighter has the Slayer theme, making him a great beatstick. You could just as easily swap those themes around, and have the Fighter go for a more traditional meatshield approach.

I could even see a Fighter taking the Healing background and serving as a sort of combat medic, using the rules for healing kits and short-rest healing to keep their party healthy, which means the cleric doesn't just have to be a heal-bot. Is this the most optimal way to play? Probably not, but it absolutely would work, unless mid-combat healing is significantly more important than it is in, say, 3.5.

12. - Top - End - #1332
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AgentPaper View Post
    I'll be posting a full report on the WotC site, so I can just cross-post that here as well.
    I'll probably post my impressions as well, once the game is done. There are a few sessions to go though, so for now I'll just say this - we're having a lot of fun, and we have had surprisingly little interaction with the actual system so far. It's a good group. The mechanics are also mostly okay, but there are a few glaring issues so far. The Reaper effect has some ambiguity, and could really use some pinning down in regards to acceptable targets. Advantage and Disadvantage are feeling far too limited, as situations where things should be adding up don't appear far too often even in the default module. It's a much lighter system though, and I for one am loving it.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

13. - Top - End - #1333
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Camelot View Post
    though I doubt that will happen. you cant have a lame duck edition for over two years. especially as a publicaly owned company.

14. - Top - End - #1334
    Bugbear in the Playground

5th edition is looking better and better.
    They say hope begins in the dark, but most just flail around in the blackness...searching for their destiny. The darkness... for me... is where I shine. - Riddick

Exile

Deny a monochrome future!!! -Radio Gosha-

15. - Top - End - #1335

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gamgee View Post
    5th edition is looking better and better.
    Wait, are people getting the new packets? I don't have anything, but they did that stilted release last time.

16. - Top - End - #1336
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Loki_42 View Post
    Wait, are people getting the new packets? I don't have anything, but they did that stilted release last time.
    Nah if there were new packets there would be a lot more hubbub around here. But Wizards have released some information and answered some questions that many folk think is going in the right direction. Also they've implied new packets will be coming soon, folks here estimate in the next week or two.

17. - Top - End - #1337
    Titan in the Playground

on the 16th starts gencon. I expect the monday after that.

18. - Top - End - #1338
    Titan in the Playground

I'm hoping it's soon. There are a few things that need to be answered (starting with better attack bonus breakdowns, because having to try and reverse engineer the system if you ever pick up a weapon not listed on your character sheet is nonsense) for the game I'm currently in, and I'd certainly like to see the general advances they've made.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

-- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

19. - Top - End - #1339
    Ogre in the Playground

So far it is very probable that the new fighter is one of the contents of the next playtest package. I really hope that we also get one of the other "fighting"-classes in the same package as a point of reference.
    First to see, if the Fighter is really the best man for the job, as advertised.
    And second, to see if other fighting classes are still up to the job.

20. - Top - End - #1340
    Ettin in the Playground

hopefully it'll be stronger then the current one, in the playtest campaign I'm currntly participating in the cleric(the healer spec one) is easily out damaging the fighter(and also doing more damage then my wizard), while also having good armour and hp, hopefully the cleric will change a bit, as it's starting to look somewhat like a 3.5 cleric.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

21. - Top - End - #1341
    Ettin in the Playground

Actually, the fighter does a lot more damage (2d6+7 vs 1d8+4) than the cleric, it's just that the cleric's spell is ranged, so it is easier to shoot it around, rather than needing to close into melee. There also appears to be no rules for charging yet, which makes it harder to get into melee in the first place, even in relatively small areas.

22. - Top - End - #1342
    Ettin in the Playground

ah, that makes more sense
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

23. - Top - End - #1343
    Troll in the Playground

(As the pew pew pew cleric in the skype game) I totally feel like I'm doing more damage, but I think that's based solely on the 2 encounters (ranged, primarily) and the Fighter only had the crossbow. We'll see how things go as we move forward though.

DM
    Terenuri: Map IC IC2 OOC3

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

24. - Top - End - #1344
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AgentPaper View Post
    Actually, the fighter does a lot more damage (2d6+7 vs 1d8+4) than the cleric, it's just that the cleric's spell is ranged, so it is easier to shoot it around, rather than needing to close into melee. There also appears to be no rules for charging yet, which makes it harder to get into melee in the first place, even in relatively small areas.
    On the other hand, Reaper has been proving useful even at range ever since I started using javelins (+6 to hit 1d8+5, miss 3) instead of that worthless crossbow (+4 to hit 1d8+4, miss 1), and in the last fight against three bugbears where I was actually able to enter melee the fighter killed all three of them. I do think the fighter could use a bit of a boost, but I also think that part of the problem is that the default equipment load out is just terrible. The light crossbow is a very weak weapon, and we know that the Fighter could have swapped out the light crossbow for the heavy (which outranges it, is strength based, and is generally a superior weapon for the fighter) and chainmail for the chain shirt, with literally no loss of AC.

-- ChubbyRain

25. - Top - End - #1345

The new playtest is out now.

Fighter Combat Superiority is in, and the fighter chooses a Fighting Style that gives them some of their manoeuvres to use those CS dice.

Opportunity attacks are back, and are triggered when you leave an enemy's reach.

Being Surprised now prevents you from taking actions in the first round of combat.

Themes are now called "Specialties". Character creation rules are included. Medium armour lets you use your Dex mod, but only up to +2. Heavy armour reduces your speed and gives Disadvantage to stealth.

Huh, the Katana is in as a base weapon. Incoming fan boys and nerd rage?
    Last edited by Excession; 2012-08-13 at 05:57 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1346
    Ettin in the Playground

New packet is out! You should have an e-mail, or be getting one shortly. I don't know if they sent all of them out at once or not.

I'll provide some thoughts once I've read through it.

27. - Top - End - #1347
    Ogre in the Playground

Well hey, they seem to have fixed the distribution errors they suffered last time. Getting the packet was totally painless.

28. - Top - End - #1348

I need to convince my group to test it, really liking the look of it right now. Not sure why but it feels properly old school, takes me back to my Basic DnD days. *Nostalgias everywhere*
    Currently Playing:
    Zarakis in Hoard of the Dragon Queen, as run by GodGoblin.

29. - Top - End - #1349
    Titan in the Playground

I'm currently reading the documents. That said, there are a few major things that stand out. The first is that they've made some progress on system elements, and that we are finally seeing some underpinnings. The second is that they appear to be continuing with their less desirable traditions - rolled stats are the default again, WotC fluff continues onward in its trademark style, their understanding of medieval equipment is as good as ever. More specifically, the fluff is atrocious and an exercise in using a lot of words to say very little, and they still haven't abandoned their practice of completely absurd weapon weights (6 pound one handed weapons? 25 pound two handed weapons? Really?).

-- ChubbyRain

30. - Top - End - #1350

Too bad my friend who would have totally played this with me is in, well, med school right now.

I notice that the monsters have been changed to stat blocks, with no information on background, ecology, etc.
    Really, really hope the final product isn't that bare bones. It's the crazy fluff that makes the 2e Monstrous Manual so freaking awesome!