New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Morph Bark's Homebrew Tier Compendium

Quote Originally Posted by Jarian View Post
    I've been thinking... there are already a lot of classes here, but as much as I respect and generally agree with Morph's assessment of their tiers, a bunch of it remains completely untested in actual combat scenarios. If, hypothetically, someone were to volunteer to run a mostly-almost-just-about-completely combat/'encounter' playtest, would there be any interest in that? I think I'd limit people to playing classes within 1 tier of each other (.5 tiers count as either one), and not playing their own classes to avoid authorial bias. Hypothetically, of course.
    Isn't a tier also about how a class can affect a game world outside of combat?

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

2. - Top - End - #332
    Titan in the Playground

Tiers are about how you handle encounters; combat and otherwise. If they were only about non-combat they wouldn't matter nearly as much. Actually the original tiers lists notes that in a primarily social game they don't matter nearly as much (though that's probably because you're more likely to resolve things through RP instead of use Diplomacy in such a game).
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

3. - Top - End - #333

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydos View Post
    Tiers are about how you handle encounters; combat and otherwise. If they were only about non-combat they wouldn't matter nearly as much. Actually the original tiers lists notes that in a primarily social game they don't matter nearly as much (though that's probably because you're more likely to resolve things through RP instead of use Diplomacy in such a game).
    I did say "also about" non-combat. Also.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

4. - Top - End - #334
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    I did say "also about" non-combat. Also.
    Oh sorry, missed that word. Yeah, non-combat does factor in and ways to win combat without actually fighting.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    Isn't a tier also about how a class can affect a game world outside of combat?
    Yes, which is why I threw the 'encounter' bit in there. Traps, social situations, et cetera would be thrown in if the chosen classes revolved around them to any great degree. However, I'm offering a combat playtest first and foremost, not a campaign that happens to feature homebrew. That probably doesn't appeal to everyone, so you're perfectly free not to express interest in such.
    Last edited by Jarian; 2012-07-26 at 12:09 AM.
    My forum avatars appear to have decomposed in my absence. C'est la vie.
    Homebrewer's Signature
    If you use any of my homebrew, or even if you just have a strong opinion on it, please let me know. Feedback is always useful.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Ogre in the Playground

I actually got one of those started here...

Trust me, just run through encounters. Don't make it an actual campaign. Encounters will work better.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Hashmir View Post
    When I die, I donate my body to the cause of whatever ******* finds it first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodgruve View Post
    Really though, how effin scary would the beach be if an octopus could launch itself outta the water at a 200' move speed every 6 seconds. I'd never go to the beach again... I thought flying sharks were scary...
    Blood~

7. - Top - End - #337
    Colossus in the Playground

How about we in this thread get together and make an "obstacle course"? Like, a set of five to ten encounters each for a few different benchmark levels (1-5-10-15?) so people can run their creation through it? Something like:

-Social Situation
    -Stealth Situation
    -Trap
    -Straightforward solo combat
    -Straightforward group combat
    -Trick Monster
    -Overland travel

I mean, half the playground's famous homebrewers are in here anyway.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2012-07-26 at 09:57 AM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

8. - Top - End - #338
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    How about we in this thread get together and make an "obstacle course"? Like, a set of five to ten encounters each for a few different benchmark levels (1-5-10-15?) so people can run their creation through it? Something like:

-Social Situation
    -Stealth Situation
    -Trap
    -Straightforward solo combat
    -Straightforward group combat
    -Trick Monster
    -Overland travel

We should probably make a seperate thread for this. But it could certainly work if we divided up the work among many.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Hashmir View Post
    When I die, I donate my body to the cause of whatever ******* finds it first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodgruve View Post
    Really though, how effin scary would the beach be if an octopus could launch itself outta the water at a 200' move speed every 6 seconds. I'd never go to the beach again... I thought flying sharks were scary...
    Blood~

9. - Top - End - #339
    Titan in the Playground

See, that makes me want to do a genuine campaign.
    Playground's greatest hits!
    We could sell tickets.

Edit: Wait, am I a famous homebrewer? I have no idea.
    Last edited by Lix Lorn; 2012-07-26 at 11:37 AM.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Ogre in the Playground

Having returned to the Playground recently, I want to say Thank You to Morph Bark for including my Ebon Initiate base class in this compendium :)

Anything else I have is fair game, though I'm going to repost a major overhaul on my Traveler class so I wouldn't even consider that one right now.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Author and Lead Developer of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

My extended homebrew signature!

11. - Top - End - #341
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    See, that makes me want to do a genuine campaign.
    Playground's greatest hits!
    We could sell tickets.

Edit: Wait, am I a famous homebrewer? I have no idea.
    Well, we already have a playtest game that is going good so far (crosses claws). Another would be good though (with different players and different homebrews).
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Madara View Post
    We should probably make a seperate thread for this. But it could certainly work if we divided up the work among many.
    As you wish.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

13. - Top - End - #343
    Bugbear in the Playground

Griffon

Hey Morph Bark, I was wondering if you could look at my homebrew class the Life Disciple. It's my attempt at creating a healing based invocation user that can also support allies by summoning spirit wisps. I would really appreciate it!
    optimization is like salt. a pinch here and there can't hurt, but too much will spoil everything.

Wailing Death - Ryenos Shadowflare / Tyrael Lightbringer

My Homebrew: The Life Disciple

14. - Top - End - #344
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lunar2 View Post
    alright, thanks for the input, Morph. it's supposed to be 3x the normal damage (roll normal damage, then multiply by 3, or roll damage 3 times, it doesn't matter which), with the damage type and critical changing based on whether you pick the disc or the ray. i thought i worded it clearly enough, but i guess not. can you think of a better wording?
    Not right now, but if I think of a better wording you'll hear of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellus View Post
    I'm pretty comfortable with them. I'm not entirely sure about the distinction between the xenoalchemist being high tier 3 vs the connoisseur being vanilla tier 3 based on being able to install grafts on other people, since the connoisseur has a ton more personal power compared the xenoalchemist, who's pretty much purely a support class. But I was certainly aiming for that kind of power level for them. The sagittarius was also an attempt to make a fun and playable archer that can compete at higher levels, and I definitely agree with the tier 3 rank there as well.
    I mainly felt the Xenoalchemist to be higher in Tier than the Connoisseur based mainly on a party set-up, in which the Xenoalchemist would be an immense aid and provide great boosts in personal power to all the other members, whereas the Connoisseur certainly is more possessive of personal power. Perhaps the Xenoalchemist could use the Buffer Tag for this reason, since Buffers are much less powerful and useful if they have a small party or go solo.

I'm glad you agree on the Tiering for them and the Sagittarius.

That sound you're hearing is definitely not the noise of me chopping some onions.

I also just Tiered the Invisible Guardian, which I'd like to see this in a Gestalt with Malefactor sometime, and I'll add the Tiering Obstacle Course as a link to the first page once it's solidified.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

15. - Top - End - #345
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Midwoka View Post
    Here's a list with more base classes: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boa...?topic=11714.0

And here's a list of Prestige Classes with their +/- system of tiering: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boa...p?topic=5198.0
    Ah, much appreciated! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Tier 5
    Handyman; I briefly thought I should put this under Tier 4, but I was doubtful, primarily because skills are already easily optimized without classes and even more with them, even other classes of Tier 4 easily doing so. "When in doubt, don't do it."
    Objection!

With all due respect, I believe he is flexible and powerful enough to warrant T4. He gets full proficiencies with every weapon and armor in the game. He has the most powerful skills (Iaijutsu Focus will give him bonus damage, UMD will give him magic, UPD will give him psionics). Just a quick look at him at a few levels: (Note: spoilered due to Wall'O'Text™):

Spoiler
    Show
    Level 1: Kinda sad. Gets +2 to all skill checks he has ranks in, gets a bonus Skill Focus feat; he'll only be a little good here based off your skill choices. Still, he has good saves, so he'll resist/avoid a lot of low level challenges like early poisons and spells.

Level 3: Still a little sad. Gets +6 to all skills, which makes him a good choice for party face or item user with some focus in Cha, or a good combat option with some focus on Str or Dex.

Level 6: A good choice for general battlefield mobility now, with a +12 bonus to Jump, Tumble, Iaijutsu Focus, UMD and UPD, as well as now having Evasion. Max ranks in a skill now lands him a bonus of +21 before applying a stat modifier, making him the best choice for any task he's focused the skills in.

Level 10: He could talk his way out of most situations at this point with a Diplomacy focus, as it's quite believable that he could have a Cha focus, max Diplomacy ranks, and Skill Focus (Diplomacy) now, easily giving him a Diplomacy skill of +40 or higher; this is enough to make pretty much anything at least look at you objectively, if not make them friendly towards you. Further, with max ranks in UMD or UPD, he can use pretty much any magic item in the world even on a roll of 1 now, and with max ranks in Iaijustsu focus you're always doing at least +8d6 damage on each hit (provided you have Quick Draw). Further, you now have your +20 bonus to EVERY skill, regardless of whether you have ranks in it or not; this makes you better at skills untrained than someone with max ranks for your level, thus making him better at knowing things than a Bard, better at being sneaky than a Rogue, makes him the best craftsman in the multiverse, as good a caster/psion as any full caster or manifester with a little investment in items, and able to do any profession effortlessly if he gets short on cash buying said items.

Level 16: If you're failing skill checks at this point, you're doing it wrong. By this point you no longer need any tools for skill checks, you're proficient with every weapon and armor (and can cast in said armor thanks to a UMD skill of OMGWTFBBQ ranks). Further, you can make people almost as good at skills as you by telling them what to do. Have a means of exchanging written correspondence quickly at long range? Then you perpetually have an untyped bonus equal to the party Handyman's class level on all skills. At this point the Handyman is rarely in fights, with his Diplomacy skill maxed out at a +51 plus his Cha mod (+3 if he has Skill Focus). He can forge most anything, climb most any surface, practically has a swim speed, knows the value of any item he finds, can run on a tightrope, steal anything not bolted down (and most things that are), bluff his way out of most any sticky situation, know intimate details about the lives of every monster he sees, craft anything, do any job, outperform a Bard, jump ravines, tumble around the battlefield doing damage as well as any Rogue, and use any magic or psionic item.

Level 20: Assuming maximum ranks in any particular skill, he'll be getting an automatic 20 on one skill every 10 rounds at this point, meaning once a minute he'll have an automatic roll of 83 on skill check for that skill, more if he has an ability modifier and Skill Focus. Further, if he has a spell or ability that heals his fatigue or makes him immune to fatigue, he'll be doing this every round. Any boss is now his helpful friend with Diplomacy, any surface is able to be walked on with balance or scaled with climb, any item can be made masterwork with craft, any wound can be mended in an hour or two with heal, he can grant himself temporary HP and secondary Will or poison saves at will with autohypnosis, he basically can't be hit while moving or hit below zero HP thanks to tumble, is basically undetectable thanks to Hide In Plain Sight, as well as the hide, move silently and disguise skills, can use or disable any device as a move action (whether magical or nonmagical), can tell any lie or determine someone's alignment with sense motive, can basically cast identify at will via spellcraft, can see/hear through invisibility and illusions, use suggestion at will via Bluff, can speak any language, can train any animal in a day (a month at most for more unusual beasts), and can survive in the wilderness with a group indefinitely; all of this without bothering to roll skill checks. In short, he can out-fight a Fighter, out-smart and out-perform a Bard, out-sneak a Rogue, out-track a Ranger, handle animals better than a Druid, and out-dodge a Monk.

TL;DR: he's better than a Samurai.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Troll in the Playground

I mourn the death of gods, for we shall never know the glorious power of the God of Meta, He who could code a perfect program, able to present us any homebrew, tell us perfectly all exploits, and tier our works flawlessly.

Worship Morphbark, so we may raise her to this status
    My Homebrew: found here.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

PM Me if you would like a table from my homebrew reconstructed.

Drow avatar @ myself

17. - Top - End - #347

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by toapat View Post
    I mourn the death of gods, for we shall never know the glorious power of the God of Meta, He who could code a perfect program, able to present us any homebrew, tell us perfectly all exploits, and tier our works flawlessly.

Slightly confusing statement. Still, Morph's stuff should be more widely talked about/spread about. Morph makes good homebrew(homebrews? Hombrewses? Homebrewi? Whatever the plural of homebrew is).
    Newest Work: Pyromancer - My submission for Base Class Contest X
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

Quote Originally Posted by chess435 View Post
    May Chuck Norris smile upon you.

Finall got an Extended Homebrew Signature, courtesy of Cipherthe3vil

18. - Top - End - #348

The plural of homebrew is homebri.

Seriously, though, homebrew in general needs more publicity (though the good stuff like Morph Bark's deserves special attention ). Even my gamer friends have no idea about it when I bring it up. You'd think in a player-based community like TRPGs have more people would know about this stuff.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Troll in the Playground

"Homebrewskies", obviously.

Also, would hypothetical Epic Disciplines (as outlined by the The Demented One) also be compiled here? No specific reason I ask.

20. - Top - End - #350

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    It's true.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

21. - Top - End - #351
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Noctis Vigil View Post
    Objection!

With all due respect, I believe he is flexible and powerful enough to warrant T4. He gets full proficiencies with every weapon and armor in the game. He has the most powerful skills (Iaijutsu Focus will give him bonus damage, UMD will give him magic, UPD will give him psionics).

TL;DR: he's better than a Samurai.
    Thing is, everyone can do that with a little optimization of skills, feats and WBL (otherwise a Truenamer would never be viable, and it can be, it just takes tons of damage work). The fact that he can do it better by such a large margin (mainly meaning he can pull things off with less error at earlier levels) meant I did indeed doubt if I should place it in Tier 4, but in the end the only reason I should was UMD, and that still requires smart usage of WBL. Since my usual policy is "when in doubt, take the safer Tier", which usually means the one further away from Tier 3. Looking over your points of analysis over those levels, I'd say the class is pretty bad at early levels and not all that great at higher levels, but shines at the mid levels. Tell ya what, I'll put it in Tier 4, since it's still fair enough to it, and you help people set up the Tiering Obstacle Course and get someone to run the Handyman through it.

Also, I'd just like to point out that the Samurai is Tier 6, so even at Tier 5 it'd be higher than it.

Quote Originally Posted by toapat View Post

Oh my.

...wait, does that make me some kind of Haruhi? I guess some people would be more okay with me than her, considering the anime discussion earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyromancer999 View Post
    Slightly confusing statement. Still, Morph's stuff should be more widely talked about/spread about. Morph makes good homebrew(homebrews? Hombrewses? Homebrewi? Whatever the plural of homebrew is).
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctis Vigil View Post
    The plural of homebrew is homebri.

Seriously, though, homebrew in general needs more publicity (though the good stuff like Morph Bark's deserves special attention ). Even my gamer friends have no idea about it when I bring it up. You'd think in a player-based community like TRPGs have more people would know about this stuff.
    Heh, thanks. I do still have those disciplines coming up (actually two more than the ones I named, but they are even more WIP), plus a class.

Also, would hypothetical Epic Disciplines (as outlined by the The Demented One) also be compiled here? No specific reason I ask.
    Possibly, if I add an Epic section at some point. At least then I could file the two of mine I got somewhere under that section.

You sly rabbit.

Also, someone totally needs to make an Epic Discipline based off Bayonetta. Even though I've never played that game, because I don't have the necessary console.
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2012-07-28 at 09:34 AM.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ogre in the Playground

You have neither an Xbox 360 or a PS3?

I think someone made a base class of Bayonetta. I need to look.
    Open the lid and snatch a homebrewed treat from Cookie's Jar

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

Quote Originally Posted by DudeWhyAreAllTheNamesTaken(Imgur)
    Chaotic neutral. Might rob you blind. Might save your life. Might do both.

23. - Top - End - #353

DrowGirl

Tier 3
    Engineer; frankly, wicked awesome. This class was really well made to be a (primarily) non-magical artificer.
    Woo! Thank you for looking at it. I'm glad you liked it...and glad I hit my mark on the Tier List

24. - Top - End - #354
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Cookie View Post
    You have neither an Xbox 360 or a PS3?

I think someone made a base class of Bayonetta. I need to look.
    Nope, I do not. My brother owns a 360, but nobody else is allowed to play on it, even though he only plays NBA Basketball on it. We do have an American Wii! ...which means I can't even buy European games for it due to region lock. Basically, the only kind of games I can reliable play are computer games bought on Steam (and only during sales, due to money constraints on my part) and some DS games I got as gifts for birthdays or Christmas (but it's been nearly a year since I got a new one, last one was Pokemon Black).

I'd very much like to see that Bayonetta class!

Countdown: T - 50.
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2012-07-29 at 03:02 PM.

25. - Top - End - #355

RedWizardGuy

Nope, I do not. My brother owns a 360, but nobody else is allowed to play on it, even though he only plays NBA Basketball on it. We do have an American Wii! ...which means I can't even buy European games for it due to region lock. Basically, the only kind of games I can reliable play are computer games bought on Steam (and only during sales, due to money constraints on my part) and some DS games I got as gifts for birthdays or Christmas (but it's been nearly a year since I got a new one, last one was Pokemon Black).

I'd very much like to see that Bayonetta class!
    Wow. Seems like everyone plays more video games than I do. What's Bayonetta?

Countdown: T - 50.
    Is this a code?

Also, with the class finally complete, I was wondering if I could get the Dovahkiin re-tiered, just for general purposes and curiosity about how much power the perks add.
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

26. - Top - End - #356

Is this a code?
    T minus a number is the amount of time remaining until the event occurs. There's no unit with the 50, so we can only guess how long it'll be. Hopefully not 50 centuries.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

27. - Top - End - #357
    Troll in the Playground

Wow. Seems like everyone plays more video games than I do. What's Bayonetta?
    It's a third person action game (depending on your choice of genre terms, I've heard it referred to as a "Spectacle Fighter" - in the style of God of War, Devil May Cry, Darksiders, and Dante's Inferno). You play a shapeshifting badass sex goddess who murders people in really entertaining ways. It's unabashedly gonzo in style, and is quite liberal (but highly tongue-in-cheek) with its fanservice.

If you like breasts and disemboweling angels with giant demons made of your own hair, then it's absolutely for you.

This link should tell you more, if you're interested.
    Last edited by Xefas; 2012-07-30 at 11:19 PM.

28. - Top - End - #358

RedWizardGuy

It's a third person action game (depending on your choice of genre terms, I've heard it referred to as a "Spectacle Fighter" - in the style of God of War, Devil May Cry, Darksiders, and Dante's Inferno). You play a shapeshifting badass sex goddess who murders people in really entertaining ways. It's unabashedly gonzo in style, and is quite liberal (but highly tongue-in-cheek) with its fanservice.

If you like breasts and disemboweling angels with giant demons made of your own hair, then it's absolutely for you.

This link should tell you more, if you're interested.
    Link didn't work, but I have googled it, just didn't get the concept entirely.
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

29. - Top - End - #359
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    T minus a number is the amount of time remaining until the event occurs. There's no unit with the 50, so we can only guess how long it'll be. Hopefully not 50 centuries.
    I assumed it was "50 disciplines". There are 102 he is going to be looking at total I believe.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Titan in the Playground

T - 0.

Spoiler
    Show
    As presented by what appears to be my spirit.

"It should be clear to everyone that this is not because I like this guy and his material or anything, I just happen to think that some of it is okay! Got that?! G-good then! Alright, ikimasu! Let's go!

So, Lord_Gareth. We've practically been neighbours for years, but it wasn't until he posted a prestige class of his -- the Infernomancer -- that we actually conversed for the first time and ignited the beginnings of this relationship.

...friends, you dolt! Homebrew buddies! Heck, we had both brewn stuff before then! He had a foursome of elemental elves as races, a handful of prestige classes, the Harrowed--oh god, the Harrowed--and a monster, plus a campaign setting in the works and he had hosted two Base Class Challenges by that time, too. He even had a homebrew deposit for himself for a while! He forgot about that, it seems! Baka! Idiot!

The newer version of it is here, which I never really looked at, but looking back now... I am stunned that he never finished the Terramancer, Levinmancer and Frigimancer! Tsss! What a lazy bum he is! I don't know what I see in him.

Talking about the Base Class Challenge, the ass not a pony didn't even properly do the third one right! He ran off just so he didn't have to put up with the hassle of a voting thread! Heck, even the guy who did ran off, making me the only one never officially proclaimed as a victor until BCC XII! Well, unless you count Temotei listing it in the new chat thread, bless his heart. I mean, seriously.

Hrmmm... well, one thing can be said for sure about this shaggy-haired redhead demon-possessed brony 'brewer, he sure has a colourful personality. And he knows how to work his colours too, because DA-YUM, DEM WHEELS. I first discovered the Colour Wheel in its first incarnation by just browsing around, responded on the second and gaze Gareth a water torture as I interrogated him on the changes. Well, not really... actually, my lawyer's telling me that I probably should continue with the real stuff. It's an interesting system and feels much better than the old system that was so blocky, whereas this one is round and many-layered, making it a firm system.

...what are you drooling for?!

Wipe that stupid look off your face! And sit still! I'm telling a story here!

Okay, where was I? Hmmm... oh yeah, let's talk a bit about his early work. Like his Kustom Job feats. I mean, sheesh, really? A Warhammer fanboy? Icky! Let's move on before the one-week smell buys itself a sentience upgrade with that heap of disposable income!

The Lightningblade feats are meant to go with fluff and PrCs and stuff for a monastary, but those never came. The feats are very nifty and balanced to themselves, but they have very hefty prerequisites, feats that likely very few people will ever take, ultimately making them fit mainly for low-op games.

So hm, what's more? Gareth's made a ton of races, but I only paid attention to handful of them, despite loving races a lot most of the time, races are my bitches and not my bishies as people claim, dammit! Well, I mainly kept up with his races for his Dreavarr setting, which are grouped together, so I'll just cover those. The Halflings are greasemonkeys in the fluff, as well as thieves and all that, fitting right into lower class New York from the '30s. Gnolls fall into the boat right next to it, similar societal roles, but go into the military often too. They're the tough guys and the luggers. No Str bonus and Powerful Build, you say? Yeah, I did that too, it's unusual, but not forbidden, so shut up! The fluff for Half-Orcs suggests that the there no longer are pureblooded orcs, that they fall into the same boat as gnolls, but more thuggish often, and they're wiser than their ordinary DnD counterparts. Hm, I'm starting to see a pattern here in societal roles... The Elves are the tinkerers and real engineering greasemonkeys, way different from standard elves, mainly because they've given up on the whole "protect nature" gig, since it was inevitable that the world turned to shyte, mechanical shyte all over, the huff and puff of factories, all that jazz. Curiously enough, it would seem the elves are more middle class than the previous three races, or even a small step up from that sometimes, despite them fighting against the whole progress in the past. Dwarves and gnomes are hinted to be big in the world, so presumably they are the middle and upper classes (and humans of course), but I guess Dreavarr games mainly focus on the lower classes and struggling in society. Geargrinders fit right into that, except less so being the strugglers and moreso a symbol of the struggle itself to other races, as they are a sign that workers can be replaced by machines. They come in various production styles and roles, being quicker and stronger than the other, true-living races, but fragile and easily damaged, something mobs of angry workers take advantage of if they catch one. I didn't see anything of the Dreavarr setting beyond these races, but this is looking a lot like the breeding grounds of communist revolution or World War II, except for the fact that there hasn't been a World War I to create the slow-burning fire to erupt into a bonfire. Yikes!

Oh, he's also made a bunch of artifacts, but a lot aren't posted on GitP it seems, but those can be found here, so I'm guessing Gareth is not only a Lord, but also a Prince of Knives. Hmmm, interesting... never thought he'd be a prince.

He's made over a dozen PrCs, but those aren't really my thing, so I kinda want to skip over those, so I'll just stick to one, though I will note I've seen all the PrCs with "of" in the name when they were posted and they're... well, uh, they're alright I guess. It's not like some of them are pretty awesome or anything...

I see there's three with single-word names, one pretty short: Spook. Oohh, multi-language word! Double oohh, a commoner PrC! *sits down for this one* Wow, the fluff starts off good, murder of a rapist, oh my! It has some really nasty abilities, a few ordinary ones, but they fit well with the theme of the class and together with each other. Brutal. Be good now, kids!"

"Why, because Santa won't give us presents?"

"No, because the Spook will fracken' MUTILATE your ankles and your face!"

"D:"

"Now be quiet and let me finish! This is the final part anyway, the base classes!

My opinions on the Malefactor has already been stated, and the same goes for the Witch Doctor. That leaves three, the first of which is the Revised Hexblade, but that prettymuch got worked into the Malefactor, so eh.

Then there is the Scourge. Half of it is prettymuch ordinary and cribbed from official stuff it seems to me, but hey, it was one of Gareth's early classes, so cut him some slack! He tried! Plus, the Scourgecraft ability and the alchemist and grenadier stuff it has is pretty well done and interesting, though I don't get much what is so specifically scourgey about it, at least over and beyond that of other classes. Well, aside from the favoured enemy stuff, I guess. Fits well enough into Tier 4 or Borderline, I suppose.

Now then, I guess we're getting to the main event now. A class that has been requested to be Tiered several times, some of those times being by Gareth himself, for which he has been smitten...

...smitten as in that I smited him! Like a Paladin does, not like the whole lovey thing! Shut up, or I'll smite you too, and then you won't get to hear the rest of it, or get Tiered yourself! I said SHUT UP!

So yeah, here it is then, the class requested half a dozen times, once even getting a person pissed off at me for not having Tiered it yet, a class in the making since Gareth started homebrewing (I mean, really, how long can a guy work on something like that, I mean, GOD, GEEZ [/hypcrite).

Come one, come all, for it's time for the Tiering of...

Tenebrous Touch is the Harrowed's basic ability that builds over its 20 levels. It's kind of like the Warlock's Eldritch Blast, except it is a melee touch attack and deals energy damage of a kind you pick at level 1, customizing the flavour for the class (and the demon sealed inside) to your character.

Harrowings are the Harrowed's main deal. Well, obviously! And obviously everyone is going to take Hell-Born Flight when they can because it's awesome. Verminous Slither is also good mechnically, but I have one thing to say about it: ewwww! Otherworldly Senses is also damn good, especially with Two-World Eyes and all (see below). Predatory Obfuscation is basically Hide in Plain Sight, except you can get it earlier than other classes and you deal more damage. Damn, Gareth, you and your sense of balance! No, really, it's kinda good though. Love the damage, actually. Fiendish Sweep is a tasty ability that I like and I love how that plays out in my head.

Two-World Eyes is a very nice ability with a great build-up over the levels. Most of the time it may feel very minor or not see much use, but against certain opponents it is perfect. Plus, at-will detect magic and darkvision for a race normally without it is always great to have.

Scent the Occult is a very nice ability, very flavourful and it can be incredibly handy at certain occassions during a campaign, in similar vein as the Nemesis feat (see BoED) does for an Arcane Hunter Ranger, but more expanded, though limited by the range of scent.

Tenebrous Fury is a very nice capstone, making the Harrowed a force to be reckoned with in melee, even if it is only for a number of rounds equal to their Cha modifier.

There's a bunch of feats, and considering there is one specifically for nongood Harrowed, I'm surprised there aren't any for good Harrowed, or especially LG ones, considering that's the opposite of the demon inside them. The feats are very good and strong, so if you prefer low-op games, then they aren't for you, but if you don't and/or hate feat tax and think official feats could use a bump, these are feats you want to take.

Well, I think uh... that that was prettymuch it! Whew, thank god it's over. If I had to talk any more about Gareth I think I'd puke! What a bitch! Not a bishie, dammit, I don't think he's pretty! Really!

God, I think I need to go make a saving throw, because that guy just sickens me! Sayonara! Goodbye!"

This advertisement was brought to you by Pointing Unlimited! For when your finger really needs to be out there!

I will accept any reasonable punishment for my spirit's overuse of baka desu Japanese, its horrendously bad and disguised double entendres and its very cute blushing.
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2012-08-02 at 01:02 PM.