New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Morph Bark's Homebrew Tier Compendium

What exactly did phase 1 consist of? It looks like there might have been a failure to update in the forum or something. I am probably just missing something.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Pixie in the Playground

Any interest in tiering my first homebrew? If I built it correctly, it is a Tier 3 skillmonkey martial adept with two homebrew disciplines (one by me, one here). It should be a bit behind the stock martial adepts in straight combat but can make up for that in skills. Feedback would be welcome.
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
    Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."
    Groucho Marx

Ineptitude - If you can't learn to do something well,
    learn to enjoy doing it poorly.
    Stupidity - Never underestimate the power of stupid
    people in large groups.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Glorious ode to Lord_Gareth
    Good examination of Gareth's work. Also nice to see a tier break-down of the Harrowed. It's a cool thing, plus it's an especially cool thing for a special guy.

I wanna be special too. T.T
    Last edited by Pyromancer999; 2012-08-03 at 10:01 AM.
    Newest Work: Pyromancer - My submission for Base Class Contest X
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

Quote Originally Posted by chess435 View Post
    May Chuck Norris smile upon you.

Finall got an Extended Homebrew Signature, courtesy of Cipherthe3vil

4. - Top - End - #364
    Troll in the Playground

I'm quite happy and honored to have one of my classes Tiered. I was thinking the Exarch was at High Tier 3, but I guess 2 really is more appropriate.

If you have time, perhaps the others (there're just 2) could be, if not tiered, at least PEACHed by you. Thanks!

5. - Top - End - #365
    Firbolg in the Playground

I found it comedic, Morph, and yet I am saddened; no examination was made of the strengths and flaws of my general style like you did for Oskar, leaving those questions unanswered as to where I need to improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

6. - Top - End - #366
    Titan in the Playground

I have to say that that is largely because I just typed it up as I went without a clear idea in mind on how to do things (same with Oskar), the only exceptions being "examine [name]'s work" and a general presentation style. Admittedly though, I was trying to do my best with it and yet get it up fast enough to get something in this thread again other than some basic Tiering, as the side-discussion on the Tiering Obstacle Course seems to have drained the life away from here (and now it is on Myth-Weavers I don't know how it is going).

On the other hand, I have to say that for you, analyzing your general style is much harder than with Oskar. This is mainly because Oskar's focus is very clear (his Retoolings), with a handful of other things on the side, whereas you have things all over the place with no coherent theme between them. I can tell you though that you have a very good feel for base classes and I think you do pretty well with PrCs as well (though I find it harder to judge PrCs in general, personally). Your feats are rather lacklustre for their effects based on the levels you could get them at, though some (like the later stages of the Lightningblade feat chain) have good effects, though with too hefty prerequisites. Your Dreavarr races are very nice, though I find it hard to judge them on their fluff, as they all still feel very very similar, though more information on the world might well change that. Your other races mainly seem to lack the same sense of balance and innovation, but your Dreavarr races are more recent, so that's okay. Aside from that you've dabbled in a few other areas of homebrew, to which I just have to say that I'm surprised you haven't created more monsters, as the Sons and Daughters of Silence turned out well and can easily convey a sense of creepiness in a game. The spells are old and it shows, as they appear to have hardly any balance for their level at all.

Overall, it was easy to see that from 2008 'til now your skill at balancing homebrew has increased for certain, as your newer races classes have much better balance and more innovative features, though I can't say much of the other areas, as you haven't created spells or items of any sort since then, at least not having posted them on GitP.

On another note, was there anyone else who had trouble with either my form of presentation or the extent of it, regarding either Lord Gareth's Tiering or T.G. Oskar's?
    YouTube channel:

The Asobimashow thread |Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

7. - Top - End - #367

If you happen to be interested in Dreavarr, fear not - more material will be forthcoming. I've often found that races challenge me in the creation, so I'm hammering them out first, but I will drop this teaser - one of the things I'm trying to do with Dreavarr is to make nation more important than race. The idea of 'racial societies' that prevails through D&D has always infuriated me, and I'll be trying my damndest to shatter that trope and leave its broken corpse on the killing grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

8. - Top - End - #368
    Ogre in the Playground

If at all possible I would like to have Morph critique/tier my most recent attempt at homebrew, and I am willing to put it through the gauntlet that has also been mentioned to play test the classes that are being ranked.

Link to the class:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251547

9. - Top - End - #369

Morph, while you're looking at the chronoshifter anyway, would you mind tiering it?

For the record, outside of MUHA, I changed fatigued to overcharged for the accelerate chronoshift.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ogre in the Playground

Would it be too much trouble for you to tier the Ozodrin?

11. - Top - End - #371
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    Morph, while you're looking at the chronoshifter anyway, would you mind tiering it?

For the record, outside of MUHA, I changed fatigued to overcharged for the accelerate chronoshift.
    Sure. I'll say though that I won't do a feature on it like with the Base Class Challenge, due to being a judge for the MUHA contest and my scorings should not be known except by the other judges.

Quote Originally Posted by General Patton View Post
    Would it be too much trouble for you to tier the Ozodrin?
    /checks Ozodrin

/checks Owrtho's EHS

/consider for special feature? Y/N

In the meantime, I'll say that tomorrow will probably be the last day I'll Tier for a while, as I'll be gone for a few days from Monday evening onwards. In the meantime, I've Tiered the Punchmaster, which totally isn't called the Brawler because I said so and NeoSeraphi did too.

I may retire now. My fingertips hurt from my first unofficial guitar practice yesterday. ;_;
    YouTube channel:

12. - Top - End - #372

Sure. I'll say though that I won't do a feature on it like with the Base Class Challenge, due to being a judge for the MUHA contest and my scorings should not be known except by the other judges.
    Right on.

Since it's been posted outside of MUHA, it's gone through a few changes:

EDIT: Added in some saving throws on the ultimate chronoshifts, changed rushed chronoshift to allow risk-free uses at 10th and 16th levels (in addition to the riskier version), and made Time Knows No Death easier on the chronoshifter. It also fully heals the target and the stipulation for going lower than 0 hit points was removed, instead making the condition "if the creature would die."
    Whether those changes are enough to make any difference, I thought I'd just tell you.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

13. - Top - End - #373
    Titan in the Playground

Since it's been posted outside of MUHA, it's gone through a few changes:

Whether those changes are enough to make any difference, I thought I'd just tell you.
    It's nice to see those changes put so neatly there. It certainly makes it easier on me to Tier it, since I can't take the changes into account for the judging of the contest entry.

On that note, I hope to be done with judging soon, before I leave tomorrow eve. I may end up being gone longer than anticipated earlier, mainly due to some personal struggles.
    YouTube channel:

14. - Top - End - #374

RedWizardGuy

On that note, I hope to be done with judging soon, before I leave tomorrow eve. I may end up being gone longer than anticipated earlier, mainly due to some personal struggles.
    Hmmm...if you're not going to be judging for a while, then I'd like to repeat my request for a re-tiering of the Dovahkiin, and for a tiering of and/or feedback for the Greybeard, a class I posted a short while ago, provided you can manage any or all of that.

Best of luck with the personal struggles.
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

15. - Top - End - #375

It's nice to see those changes put so neatly there. It certainly makes it easier on me to Tier it, since I can't take the changes into account for the judging of the contest entry.
    I like easy like that.

We all love and support you.
    Homebrew

16. - Top - End - #376
    Titan in the Playground

I like easy like that.

We all love and support you.
    Thanks, I appreciate all those things very much.

In the meantime, everyone is free to suggest ideas for special features that I could do once I can get back to Tiering. Homebrewers, projects, wikis, boards, anime, manga, video games, cartoons, series, movies, books, splatbooks, subsystems, etc... (Name something good! Name something specific!)

Also, I've recently started serious work on campaign setting. Or rather, converting it to D&D. It's been 7 years in the making. Seriously.

And how's the Tiering Obstacle Course doing anyway?
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2012-08-06 at 11:05 AM.
    YouTube channel:

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ogre in the Playground

And how's the Tiering Obstacle Course doing anyway?
    Well, a fair number of people vanished on our way over to mythweavers. So we lost a bit of the numbers. But we finished our outline and are making progress on invidivual challenges.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Hashmir View Post
    When I die, I donate my body to the cause of whatever ******* finds it first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodgruve View Post
    Really though, how effin scary would the beach be if an octopus could launch itself outta the water at a 200' move speed every 6 seconds. I'd never go to the beach again... I thought flying sharks were scary...
    Blood~

18. - Top - End - #378
    Colossus in the Playground

It seems we currently have only about three, maybe four regular posters left in the challenge. There's stil lsome basic discussion, but the basic work on challenge ideas is being done.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

19. - Top - End - #379

Special feature request: anime/manga. especially martial arts/fighting series, since they probably have the biggest selection of 'brew.

alternatively: video games (especially since i'm thinking of making a prototype base class).
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

The PCs were already a special forces type unit in a kingdom's military, so the campaign started in the general's office.

Extended Homebrew Signature

20. - Top - End - #380

Quote Originally Posted by lunar2 View Post
    alternatively: video games (especially since i'm thinking of making a prototype base class).
    Tainted Scion of Venom
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

21. - Top - End - #381

Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    Looks cool, but I was going in a slightly different direction with mine.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

The PCs were already a special forces type unit in a kingdom's military, so the campaign started in the general's office.

Extended Homebrew Signature

22. - Top - End - #382
    Titan in the Playground

Whelp, I've largely gotten through some of the personal troubles, or at least sorted them out, so I got somewhat of a clear idea now on what to do next. (I'm thinking I should just romance Fate and solve all my problems that way.)

In the meantime, I'll slowly be getting back to this, but first I will be getting my homebrew back on again as I work to create some stuff for my new campaign setting. A while back there was already a skill rework, more of which are forthcoming, but first I'll probably get to races. In a way, it's rather curious how I like to check out base classes and stuff to do with them, but at the same time I prefer 'brewing other things myself.
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2012-08-17 at 09:55 AM.
    YouTube channel:

23. - Top - End - #383
    Barbarian in the Playground

It is my dream that someday, I will come on here and ask for my fixed core classes to be tiered. In this dream, the voice of Morph descends from the void, and pronounces them all the same tier. Someday... someday my dream will be realized.

I just thought you should know. Keep up the good work; you seem to make a lot of people happy. :)
    Last edited by Vadskye; 2012-08-16 at 11:46 PM.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Troll in the Playground

has there been any movement on this recently?
    My Homebrew: found here.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

PM Me if you would like a table from my homebrew reconstructed.

Drow avatar @ myself

25. - Top - End - #385
    Barbarian in the Playground

@toapat: The fourth and second posts of the thread were edited by the original poster on the 3rd and 4th of august of this year, so sorta?

@Morph Bark: Two things. Number one, you're awesome. But you should know that by now. Number two, both the "Oriental" and "Japan" tags' caveat say "see below". Japan is below, so it should say "see above".

26. - Top - End - #386
    Troll in the Playground

Morphbark, do you remember this exists?
    My Homebrew: found here.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

PM Me if you would like a table from my homebrew reconstructed.

Drow avatar @ myself

27. - Top - End - #387
    Titan in the Playground

Technically I am sure he does, but a poke does seem appropriate at this point.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

28. - Top - End - #388

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by toapat View Post
    Morphbark, do you remember this exists?
    As Morph has mentioned before, there's been a bunch of stuff going on, plus Morph wants to focus on homebrew races for a campaign for a little, so this will be on hiatus for a while.
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

29. - Top - End - #389
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pyromancer999 View Post
    As Morph has mentioned before, there's been a bunch of stuff going on, plus Morph wants to focus on homebrew races for a campaign for a little, so this will be on hiatus for a while.
    Prettymuch this, yeah.

I'm still in the process of finding a new job, among other things, but I'll get back to this in due time. I got a Word file saved up on an EHD with a list of to-judgings and judgings, so once I got the time and the mind for it, I'll get on it.
    YouTube channel:

30. - Top - End - #390
    Titan in the Playground

T - 60*

*Not the same kind of T as before.

EDIT: Corrected T-time.
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2012-09-24 at 01:33 PM.
    YouTube channel: