New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Morph Bark's Homebrew Tier Compendium

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Ahh. Forgive me, I missed the "knows" in there. Yes, that does make it better, considering there is plenty of lead-up to that. One suggestion though: perhaps you should put in the table how manieth the Fighting Tradition it is you gain at a certain level, so you can easily see how many you can have from that level onwards.

But yes, it's one of the better ones and has some combat versatility thanks to Fighting Tradition. It still has very little outside of combat though.
    Added a table which shows how many traditions you know at each level.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

2. - Top - End - #512
    Troll in the Playground

Morph, since you're right now handling all the multitude of Fighter fixes, does that mean you'll do the same to another favored target of aspiring 'brewers (that being the Monk)? I distinctly recall a mild compromise to tackle the Retooled Monk v2.0, and doing it in the scope of all other Monk fixes would be interesting. It might also imply the Paladin will also see a light, being the third most commonly fixed class.
    Retooler of D&D 3.5 (and 5e/Next) content. See here for more.
    Now with a comprehensive guide for 3.5 Paladin players porting to Pathfinder. Also available for 5th Edition
    On Lawful Good:
    Quote Originally Posted by firebrandtoluc View Post
    My friend is currently playing a paladin. It's way outside his normal zone. I told him to try to channel Santa Claus, Mr. Rogers, and Kermit the Frog. Until someone refuses to try to get off the naughty list. Then become Optimus Prime.
    T.G. Oskar profile by Specter.

3. - Top - End - #513
    Colossus in the Playground

Morph should do wizard fixes next. Maybe start on page one of this thread and do the one someone posted there. *hint hint, wink wink*

Resident Vancian Apologist

4. - Top - End - #514

Quote Originally Posted by Hanuman View Post
    Ozodrin (By Owrtho)
    Evolutionist (By Draken)
    Gramarie (By Kellus)

My 3 favorites, none of them listed.
    Draken has just presented the Evolutionist for Tiering. I do wonder how an Ozodrin would do, wondered for a while.

5. - Top - End - #515
    Ettin in the Playground

You know, you can review my Fighter fix...

I didn't go any of the ordinary paths, I don't think...
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

6. - Top - End - #516
    Troll in the Playground

I beat the trend of doing fighter fixes, and have had mine for a while.

I did a different take on the problem.
    My Homebrew: found here.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

PM Me if you would like a table from my homebrew reconstructed.

Drow avatar @ myself

7. - Top - End - #517
    Titan in the Playground

Christmas has arrived, so the next bits on Fighter Fixes will have to wait a while.

Quote Originally Posted by T.G. Oskar View Post
    Morph, since you're right now handling all the multitude of Fighter fixes, does that mean you'll do the same to another favored target of aspiring 'brewers (that being the Monk)?
    I very well might, and at least will consider it. However, while I try to be objective in the Tiering of a class, I'm very much subjective in picking what to Tier. Generally, Fixes aren't really my thing (hence why there haven't been that many Tiered yet, despite there being so many), largely because it's much of the same. Considering Monks, I'll probably tackle them all together someday (though I will first have to gone through some more martial arts training, but I've got that planned for 2013 anyway!). Likely though, it won't be so soon.

I've sorta-kinda already decided on the next two or three special features, so those will be first in line. At least one of them is a prominent homebrewer, and another is a very big and controversial project. Stay tuned!

In the meantime, a merry Christmas* to all!

*And if you don't celebrate Christmas, may your days be merry anyway!
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

8. - Top - End - #518
    Ogre in the Playground

Then we have another can-cover-other-classes-too-somewhat Fighter Fix, as awkwardly presented by nonsi.
    Let’s examine the “awkwardly presented” issue.

To be honest, I thought it'd be bigger. Then when I read through it, it took me as long as the others due to the fact that most of the class abilities themselves don't say when you get them, so you have to check with the table again.
    Ok, noted to add level association inside all descriptions.

Warcraft is essentially "take a class feature from a non-Fighter fighting class, or get another bonus feat". It's basically another kind of quick-and-dirty fix, the former which is lazy and unoriginal, the latter which is both those and just doesn't work.
    What do you mean by “former” and “latter”?
    My reading comprehension is considered quite decent, but I don’t understand what you’re trying to say here.
    Also, “quick-and-dirty” is the last thing you could say about Warcraft. I put a lot of thought about appropriate levels and desired modifications. whatever's not mentioned is to be taken from the official descriptions. that's not laziness - that's avoiding overtaxing the eyes with already known details.
    As for “unoriginal” – hey, if it’s working, why not use it?

Combat Focus is one of the better things about this Fix, though fluffwise it seems like this is similar to rage, in a way, which this Fix can also get. Seems weird to see that in combo.
    In concept, Combat Focus is not even remotely tied to Rage.
    It does not involve anger or inner conviction.
    On the contrary. It involves coolheadedness, battlefield awareness and combat wisdom.
    It has two aspects: one of vigilance, the other of superior offense.
    While the two are not mutually exclusive, they're not tied either.

Warrior Talent has a few nice ones, but it's nothing major.
    No way you read this one correct if that’s your conclusion.

Overall, it's... it's kind of a Fighter Fix, I guess? I mean, while nonsi attempted to stick to the things mentioned in D&D Next list of "things a Fighter should be", that list is incredibly vague and more fluffy than crunchy, not being of real substance.
    That list conveys a certain feel that I believe I’ve managed to convey,

He did provide a link to a Fighter Handbook that goes into ways to optimize a Fighter through their feats, but using that with this Fix won't really make this go anything beyond the standard Fighter by much.
    Ok… so as to not hog this thread, please take this to my Warrior thread and show me how my proposed class fails in any way to address the Fighter’s issues (break it down to level-by-level if you feel like it)

In the thread nonsi appears to claim Combat Focus should raise the Fix to Tier 3, but the things that really do that it gets very late in its level progression, while they would be overpowered if gained earlier.
    1. … Combat Focus along with all other features (Warcraft, feats, talents, skills…).
    2. Regarding the bolded text – I’m always open to to explanations and suggestions. By all means.

9. - Top - End - #519
    Troll in the Playground

I've been Tiered! This is a nice Christmas present.

I do have some other classes to present. If you're pressed for time and need to prioritize, I'd recommend the following as the most interesting and/or useful:

• Magus of Blades (new class)
    • Soulcrafter (soulknife fix)
    • Summoner (new class or sorcerer/wizard fix)
    • Monk Remix (monk fix)
    • Knight-Paladin (knight fix, paladin fix)
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

10. - Top - End - #520

My fix wasn't really tiered, all you did was mention it as an example for Fighter fixes with archetypes.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

11. - Top - End - #521
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Hey, this is a cool thread! Would you mind tiering these two classes I made? It'd be much appreciated.

Cerebral Stalker
    Shifter
    “Sometimes, immersed in his books, there would come to him
    the awareness of all that he did not know, of all that he had not read;
    and the serenity for which he labored was shattered as he realized the
    little time he had in life to read so much, to learn what he had to know.”
    ~Stoner, John Williams~
    My Homebrew (Most Recent) | Forum Rules
    /veɪnoɚ/

12. - Top - End - #522
    Titan in the Playground

So, clearly I haven't been up to business in this thread this year so far yet, since Christmas even actually, and that is because through the holiday and after it I've gotten occupied with a good few other things that require my attention, so I won't be up to it to do the rest of the big Fighter Fix thing anytime soon. I was going to do a handful of Minmaxboards' fixes, then some of the King of Fighter Fixes', then maybe some I missed, then follow up with a conclusion maybe, though that last bit would come too close to attempting a Fix myself and that's entirely not my thing.

Considering I'm currently working on artifacts for my campaign setting here and here, my first thought was "let's just throw some artifacts at those Fighters and let them fix themselves with those", but obviously that wouldn't work.

In the meantime, you can check out this small list of Fighter Fixes I'd forgotten, though there are many, many more Fighter Fixes out there, and they just... they're just too numerous! I can't list them all or go in depth about them all!

At any rate, I'll be continuing on with Tiering at it's previous, easy pace and will tackle some of the other requests that may have popped up here or there. Onwards!

Quote Originally Posted by nonsi View Post
    Ok… so as to not hog this thread, please take this to my Warrior thread and show me how my proposed class fails in any way to address the Fighter’s issues (break it down to level-by-level if you feel like it)
    I could attempt to address these points if it wouldn't be thread necromancy, so that'd have to be fixed the usual way.
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2013-01-08 at 05:57 PM.

13. - Top - End - #523

So Morph, I thought I'd let you know - I finally started on Harrowed 5.0.

You folks will get a link the moment it's done.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

14. - Top - End - #524
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vauron View Post
    The Druids and the Animorph*

*Aberrant is in post #44, Animorph is in #2

Serpentine, were any changes made to the Animorph when you added it to that thread, or is the animorph's standalone thread still current?
    I'm pretty sure the stuff in the standalone thread is all up to date.
    Sorry about that, guys. The Animorph stuff, which I expect to be put under "variant" because it depends so much on what morph options are available or sought out.
    Magma and Plant Druids, Aberrant Druid.

15. - Top - End - #525
    Titan in the Playground

I've been thinking of expanding the subsystems bit with lists of PrCs made for specific subsystems. Not including those made for spellcasters (aside from homebrew systems, such as spellshaping) and psionics, but including ToB, incarnum, binding, shadowcasting and truenaming, and of course, primarily, homebrew subsystems. What do you guys think?

Of course, considering how PrCs are much more common, and considering they're meant to only be a small part of this, I wouldn't be so much Tiering them as judging general quality (if belonging to official subsystems) or simply including them on the list if made for a homebrew subsystem or homebrew class (I know the Ozodrin has tons of them, and yes, I'm gonna Tier it).
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2013-01-23 at 08:50 AM.

16. - Top - End - #526
    Titan in the Playground

Ozodrin ... yes, I'm gonna Tier it).
    You realise no-one cares about the rest of that post now, right?

More seriously, that sounds like it makes sense to me!
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

17. - Top - End - #527
    Titan in the Playground

I've been thinking of expanding the subsystems bit with lists of PrCs made for specific subsystems. Not including those made for spellcasters (aside from homebrew systems, such as spellshaping) and psionics, but including ToB, incarnum, binding, shadowcasting and truenaming, and of course, primarily, homebrew subsystems. What do you guys think?
    As long as you don';t spread yourself too thin.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

18. - Top - End - #528
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    You realise no-one cares about the rest of that post now, right?

More seriously, that sounds like it makes sense to me!
    I'm hoping some people at least will link me to those Ozodrin PrCs, because they're quite spread out from what I remember.

Mostly I'm afraid to do ToB PrCs, as there are so. Darn. Many.

(Hence the restating of quality control.)

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    As long as you don';t spread yourself too thin.
    You can't spread too thin that which is of infinite thickness!

...wait.

Also added PairO'Dice Lost's Divine Champion to Tier 3.
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2013-01-24 at 12:58 PM.

19. - Top - End - #529
    Banned

Hmm... had an idea for a class based on a cross between a space marine dreadnaught and a cyborg, and thinking of giving him lots of abilities which work in a similar manner to spells, and represent the systems in the machine. The trouble is, if they're (Ex) it could easily make the class a Tier -1 whenever there's an antimagic field handy, ready to fight that beholder mage without breaking a sweat. If they're (Su), it won't be able to cope with wizards and psychic warriors, or even sorcerers or inquisitors.

Suggestions?

20. - Top - End - #530
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hey Morph, wanna tier the Ætherforge? I'm guessing mid-high tier 3, or possibly tier 2 depending on what you consider "game-breaking"
    (member in good standing of the troll-feeder's guild)

I am the assassin of productivity.

Super boss Muscle Wizard avvie by Ceika.

gitp extended sig
    minmaxboards extended sig (more stuff)

21. - Top - End - #531
    Titan in the Playground

I'm hoping some people at least will link me to those Ozodrin PrCs, because they're quite spread out from what I remember.
    I belieeeeve there's a compilation post somewhere. I think he links it in one of the (many) OPs.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

22. - Top - End - #532
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ask, and ye shall recieve.

23. - Top - End - #533
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Suggestions?
    None that come to mind right now, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by sirpercival View Post
    Hey Morph, wanna tier the Ætherforge? I'm guessing mid-high tier 3, or possibly tier 2 depending on what you consider "game-breaking"
    I'll give it a shot. Might be a little while though, as this weekend I'll be occupied.

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    I belieeeeve there's a compilation post somewhere. I think he links it in one of the (many) OPs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vauron View Post
    Why look at that! Thank you!

24. - Top - End - #534

Morph, you think you could take a look at my sage?

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266930
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

The PCs were already a special forces type unit in a kingdom's military, so the campaign started in the general's office.

Extended Homebrew Signature

25. - Top - End - #535
    Dwarf in the Playground

I know you are already tired of Fighter Fixes, but I tried to follow your advices and made changes to it, I would like your opinion again, and if anyone can give me better wording I would appreciate it. English is not my main language and I'm not good at it.

By definition adding more stuff to the Fighter makes it better than a normal Fighter, but it does not necessarily up its Tier (which I look for in Fixes, or lowering of its Tier if the official class equivalent's Tier is 1 or 2). I like Stand Strong, but Keep Fighting sounds detrimental, since it kicks in while you may not even be dead yet (between -1 and -9) or you might lose a magic item that is more expensive than the cost to resurrect you.

Shield Ally: do you mean no save, rather than no salvation? No salvation is pretty harsh!

Taunt: kind of vague and uses different rules from the normal Intimidate rules.

Hold the Position: is the +5 to AC instead of, or in addition to to the normal bonus from fighting defensively?

Overall, I don't think it goes up a Tier.* The first seven levels have nothing that really improves the Fighter's abilities other than straight numbers (and while Experienced Fighter does help and is good, straight numbers alone don't do it, and it's very dependant on feat choice). The last ten levels give some options that could be nifty, but need some more working out and better wording. Giving some abilities like those at earlier levels (but lesser versions of the same abilities, or move those abilities to earlier levels and give them upgrades you can choose) would certainly help.

*This is presuming the Fighter to be Tier 4-5. A Fighter can be Tier 4 with the right feat choice, but so can your Fighter for the same reasons. If you pick feats that make a Fighter character Tier 5, the same choices won't improve him to Tier 4 with the abilities you give the class. The ideas you have are good, but they need more working out and improvement. Expand on them a little more to be less basic and you're off in a good direction.
    Here is it again. Korney's Fighter Fix.

IMPORTANT: Don't haste to do this, I know I'm selfish for asking you to lose your time at this. If you don't feel like it, just say so. I will understand it.

Also, I have an idea for a homebrew that goes arround awakening latent golem powers and/or crafting and improving a golem armor. Something arround Dragon Disciples but with Incarnated Construct blood.
    You guys are the ones that most homebrew have seen. Is there anything like this already? I can only find a class about a psychic armor and one about making yourself a warforged.
    Avatar masterfully done by the ever gifted Gnomish Wanderer

26. - Top - End - #536

I've been tiered! And I have the honor of creating the first tier 6! With the Gamechanger tag no less.
    Last edited by sengmeng; 2013-01-26 at 10:56 PM.
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.

27. - Top - End - #537
    Ogre in the Playground

I could attempt to address these points if it wouldn't be thread necromancy, so that'd have to be fixed the usual way.
    No longer an issue.
    The thread has been revived by the OP (yours truly).

28. - Top - End - #538
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmmm... so since this thread has been revived, can I throw one of my classes in here to be tiered?

29. - Top - End - #539
    Banned

30. - Top - End - #540