Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 760
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Jarian's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Crazytown
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Morph Bark's Homebrew Tier Compendium

    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    EDIT: To all who see this, I would really appreciate it if any obscure Homebrew or Homebrew not listed in the Extended Homebrewer's Signature thread would be linked here, perhaps with a short little promotion of it and explanation, what you like about it and think what Tier it would be or what Tags it deserves. I will also go through the Base Class Challenge entries, so be sure to participate in them!
    The Soulweaver probably fits into that request. I only found it by happenstance, since it isn't listed with his other homebrew on the homebrew signature thread. Base class challenge entry, so you'll probably see it eventually anyway.

    Looks tier 3 at all levels at a glance, but might edge up to T2.5 at very high levels. Shotgunning tags onto it, it looks like [Horror, Original, Unique, Magic/Melee, Support]
    Avatar by the illustrious Derjuin.
    Homebrewer's Signature
    If you use any of my homebrew, or even if you just have a strong opinion on it, please let me know. Feedback is always useful.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lightbringer Adison, Swordmage priestess of Pelor, by the very talented Darwin.

    Bunny!Adison by Alarra!

  2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Morph Bark's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Freljord

    Default Re: Morph Bark's Homebrew Tier Compendium

    Quote Originally Posted by Jarian View Post
    The Soulweaver probably fits into that request. I only found it by happenstance, since it isn't listed with his other homebrew on the homebrew signature thread. Base class challenge entry, so you'll probably see it eventually anyway.

    Looks tier 3 at all levels at a glance, but might edge up to T2.5 at very high levels. Shotgunning tags onto it, it looks like [Horror, Original, Unique, Magic/Melee, Support]
    See, this? This is EXACTLY what I mean! Thanks, Jarian!

    With Base Class Challenge classes, they often get posted outside the Challenges as well, where they get more critique and often get tweaked and updated further. These are usually clearly better versions of those classes than the ones posted in the Challenge because of this. As such, don't hesitate to link them!

    Quote Originally Posted by JeminiZero View Post
    I think its more of a question of scale. I reckon there hundreds or even thousands of homebrew base classes. Some of which are incredibly massive, coming with an entire subsystem of their own. Trying to tier all of them will take months to years.
    Oh, I am aware of that. As such, I am not going to Tier them all. There is never a rock solid guarantee that I will Tier a class, not even if I made it myself. A class is more likely to get Tiered if it has a great concept, fluff, execution, is based off a popular work (in combination with a good execution), has original mechanics that make it fun to play, is pretty balanced across most levels... and so on!

    Things that will cause me to not Tier a class at all, ever, include... very few things. If a class doesn't have a table, I will probably not bother with it until it does, because I like the easy reference. If a class is very bland in fluff or execution, I may still Tier it, but more likely will not. This "more likely" is mostly just because of the huge amount of classes out there though, and in the end I am just one single human being, trying to make a Homebrew Tier Compendium for my own fun and easy perusal and that of those I love and call my bitches, because they better be nice to me or suffer TPK!

    *cough*

    I mean all y'all, my friends, of course.

    Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    Fair enough. The Conceptualist and Arcane Engineer (Found near the end of Magitech) are the two Base Classes I've posted here.
    Actually, I just stumbled across your Blood King, so I may be forced (by myself) to look into your Bloodlines anyway.

    I know the first time I gave it a look over I thought "oh god, this would be perhaps even more of a headache in preparation than a prepared caster, every single day". Especially once I saw there was a Bloodline that mimicked or combined other Bloodlines! Those might end up making it go up or down Tiers somewhat...


    Also, Trissociate made me end up creating a Variable Tier, since it really depends on what you pick. It's well made and I'd endorse it, but as a DM I'd probably hate ending up with a party of them.
    Strawberries = awesome avatarist.
    Current Projects:
    EMPIRE! -- A Community World-Building Game full of role-playing and strategy
    Analyzing RPG Systems
    Spoiler
    Show
    Campaign setting! Homebrew Tier Compendium! NPCs!
    FanFiction.net | DeviantART | Homebrewer's Signature

  3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Welknair's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Surrounded by Books
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Morph Bark's Homebrew Tier Compendium

    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Actually, I just stumbled across your Blood King, so I may be forced (by myself) to look into your Bloodlines anyway.

    I know the first time I gave it a look over I thought "oh god, this would be perhaps even more of a headache in preparation than a prepared caster, every single day". Especially once I saw there was a Bloodline that mimicked or combined other Bloodlines! Those might end up making it go up or down Tiers somewhat...
    How could I forget the Blood King! Yeah, I assure you that'll be an interesting read
    Avatar by Araveugnitsuga

    Fourthland: A Game of Abstraction
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Daverin View Post
    Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Virdish
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark
    There have also been times where I was jealous of your ingenuity and skills.

    Extended Homebrewer's Signature

  4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Techwarrior's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012

    Default Re: Morph Bark's Homebrew Tier Compendium

    I'd love to see where my stuff falls on the tier system. Specifically this. Any peaching I can get on that would also be appreciated. It's supposed to be an anti-caster class. I was hoping that it would be right around tier 4
    Last edited by Techwarrior; 2012-06-07 at 11:09 PM.

  5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Virdish's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012

    Default Re: Morph Bark's Homebrew Tier Compendium

    Please Tier this if you would.
    Avatar by serpentine

    Extended Homebrew Signature


    Current characters
    Mirala
    Rila

  6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Larkas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Morph Bark's Homebrew Tier Compendium

    Hey, Morph Bark, would you mind taking a look at my Shrine Warrior when you have the time? I'm still thinking about making it a spontaneous spellcaster (haven't got much time to test it, and its interactions with reserve feats, myself, so I'm not really sure ), but other than that, it's pretty much done
    Last edited by Larkas; 2012-06-08 at 12:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cerin616 View Post
    I just like to think that Smaug's "cry of pain" was "OH GOD, MY PRETTY! YOU HIT MY RIGHT IN THE PRETTY."
    Metal Perfection - a template for creatures born on Mirrodin.
    True Ferocity - a simple fix for Orcs and Half-Orcs.
    Monastic Magus - a spiritual successor to the Unarmed Swordsage.
    Pathfinder-ish Synthesist - a simple fix making Synthesist Summoners follow polymorph rules.
    Sword & Sorcery for Sneaky Scoundrels - rogue archetypes/fixes that aim to turn the rogue into a warrior/caster.

  7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    JeminiZero's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: Morph Bark's Homebrew Tier Compendium

    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Also, Trissociate made me end up creating a Variable Tier, since it really depends on what you pick.
    Thats fair... what do you think is the highest tier one could make from it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    It's well made and I'd endorse it, but as a DM I'd probably hate ending up with a party of them.
    Actually, I would argue that it is easier to evaluate as a DM (at least once the player pulls together his selection and makes a Sample Level Progression table), since it largely rides off known subsystems instead of trying to create something entirely new. There are ALOT of associations, but the DM can skip those the player is not selecting.
    Last edited by JeminiZero; 2012-06-08 at 09:37 AM.
    Trissociate: 3.5 Homebrew Base Class. Mix & match abilites & templates to make virtually any sort of character!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Theoretical Optimization Amusements
    Emerald Legion A Mind Flayer's guide to creating near-invincible super soldiers.
    Spellblade Tennis Throw out nigh infinite spells per round.
    Sleeping Raven Infinite Blood Frenzy nigh infinite melee damage exploit.

    Minor Accolades
    Quote Originally Posted by jmbrown View Post
    so deliciously flavorful
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaeron View Post
    Bravo Bravo
    Quote Originally Posted by Kansaschaser View Post
    I think you just saved my city.

  8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Sgt. Cookie's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Morph Bark's Homebrew Tier Compendium

    All my stuff is open for tier evaluation.

    The Gladiator is not based off Spartacus: Blood and Sand. I just liked the picture.
    Open the lid and snatch a homebrewed treat from Cookie's Jar

    Ponytar by Dirtytabs

    Like the look of the Prestige Bard/Paladin/Ranger, but don't know how best to use them? There's a guide for that.

  9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Morph Bark's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Freljord

    Default Re: Morph Bark's Homebrew Tier Compendium

    Quote Originally Posted by Techwarrior View Post
    I'd love to see where my stuff falls on the tier system. Specifically this. Any peaching I can get on that would also be appreciated. It's supposed to be an anti-caster class. I was hoping that it would be right around tier 4
    It looks like you need a lot more peaching, yeah. Anyway, I looked the class over and it's looking to me like a Tier 5. It has some strong abilities, but they become weak rather quickly, plus it has no versatility at all, nor choices in abilities and is very specific in what it does.

    By the by, to anyone else here, even if I don't put your class in the Tier Compendium, I may still provide you with a short evaluation of the class and tell you what Tier I think it is.

    Quote Originally Posted by Larkas View Post
    Hey, Morph Bark, would you mind taking a look at my Shrine Warrior when you have the time? I'm still thinking about making it a spontaneous spellcaster (haven't got much time to test it, and its interactions with reserve feats, myself, so I'm not really sure ), but other than that, it's pretty much done
    I like your humility, young man. You shall be spared domination or destruction when I take over the world.

    I'll take a deeper look into it later. First glance looks good, about Adept-level.

    Quote Originally Posted by JeminiZero View Post
    Thats fair... what do you think is the highest tier one could make from it?

    Actually, I would argue that it is easier to evaluate as a DM (at least once the player pulls together his selection and makes a Sample Level Progression table), since it largely rides off known subsystems instead of trying to create something entirely new. There are ALOT of associations, but the DM can skip those the player is not selecting.
    The highest it can get is Tier 2, with the spellcasting Associations. I think one could easily put one of the Associations next to the Tier system of the official classes, find the class most like it, and have the same Tier as that class. The lowest it otherwise gets is Tier 4, though I think the Weapon Master Association is Tier 5.

    It probably is easier to evaluate as a DM, but it is partly because it basically mimics existing classes that I'd rather see my players just use the existing classes they mimic. Plus, in cases where I'm allowing Homebrew in my campaigns, I usually do so because I want to see something new, not something old with a new paint job. This is just my personal preference.

    Allow me to take back my earlier wording though: I wouldn't hate having to DM a party of Trissociates. Rather, I'd simply prefer other things be taken instead.

    Also, I'm actually now thinking I should give a short justification for a class being in a certain Tier if necessary, or for the tags, since while the Big Read tag definitely applies to the Trissociate, a DM can disregard any Associations that a player does not use. Still, I think it is a rather well-made class, hence its inclusion.


    I've decided to remove the Crackerjack from the list. While I liked its focus on skills and its use of them, getting a bonus feat every level was ultimately too much.
    Strawberries = awesome avatarist.
    Current Projects:
    EMPIRE! -- A Community World-Building Game full of role-playing and strategy
    Analyzing RPG Systems
    Spoiler
    Show
    Campaign setting! Homebrew Tier Compendium! NPCs!
    FanFiction.net | DeviantART | Homebrewer's Signature

  10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    JeminiZero's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: Morph Bark's Homebrew Tier Compendium

    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    It probably is easier to evaluate as a DM, but it is partly because it basically mimics existing classes that I'd rather see my players just use the existing classes they mimic. Plus, in cases where I'm allowing Homebrew in my campaigns, I usually do so because I want to see something new, not something old with a new paint job. This is just my personal preference.
    Okay. Its just that the caveat of "always need special permission" for the Variable Tier makes everything under it sound like some sort of game-breaking monstrousity.

    Ignoring the fact that Trissociate is the ONLY Variabe Tier class right now, I would imagine anything else that falls under Variable Tier would also be quite different from Trissociate (and all the other fixed tier classes). If I might suggest something, consider rewording the subheading to: "All of these are very different from the above, and even from one another. Refer to the individual comments for each."

    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Still, I think it is a rather well-made class, hence its inclusion.
    Yah! Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Also, I'm actually now thinking I should give a short justification for a class being in a certain Tier if necessary, or for the tags, since while the Big Read tag definitely applies to the Trissociate, a DM can disregard any Associations that a player does not use.


    Maybe something like this?

    Spoiler
    Show

    {table]Class Name | Inspiration | Subsystems | Roles | Others | Comments
    {colsp=2}Tier 1 |{colsp=4}-
    {colsp=6}
    .


    {colsp=2}Tier 2 |{colsp=4}-
    {colsp=6}
    .


    {colsp=2}High Tier 3 |{colsp=4}These classes generally have much higher levels of power than average Tier 3 classes and may have a gamebreaker or two, but nothing that would bump them up to Tier 2.
    Grandmaster | - | Arcane | Healer, Magic, Support | - | -
    {colsp=6}
    .


    {colsp=2}Tier 3 |{colsp=4}-
    Hemoscribe | Horror, Original | - | Face, Magic, Melee, Skillful | Incomplete | -
    Limit Dragoon | Video Game | Unique | Face, Melee, Tank | - | -
    Sentai | Modern, Japan | Martial Adept | Face, Magic, Melee, Ranged, Support | - | -
    {colsp=6}
    .


    {colsp=2}Borderline Tier 3-4 |{colsp=4}High Tier 4 or Low Tier 3, either way they mean the same: classes that are just a little behind in either versatility or power to really make the Tier 3 cut, but standing above most Tier 4s, they could fall in either Tier depending on the level of optimization used.
    Dabblemaster | Original | Arcane, Binding, Divine, Incarnum, Infusions, Invoker, Martial Adept, Psionic, Shadow, Truenames | Face, Magic | - | -
    {colsp=6}
    .

    {colsp=2}Tier 4 |{colsp=4}Note that Tier 4 is not bad. Tier 4 is is, after all, "capable of doing one thing quite well, but often useless when encounters require other areas of expertise, or capable of doing many things to a reasonable degree of competance without truly shining." Many great classes are Tier 4.
    Botanimorphist | - | - | Healer, Magic, Melee | - | -
    Dualists | Original | - | Melee |
    White Clad | Video Game | - | Face, Melee, Skillful | Expanded | -
    {colsp=6}
    .


    {colsp=2}Tier 5 |{colsp=4}If your class is here, consider reworking it. Unless Tier 5 was your aim.
    Initiate of the Green Tunic | Video Game | - | Magic, Melee, Support | - | -
    {colsp=6}
    .


    {colsp=2}Tier 6 |{colsp=4}Pity the common man, for he is powerless.
    {colsp=6}
    .


    {colsp=2}Variable Tier |{colsp=4}Assume that you always need special permission to play one of these classes if I am DMing for you.
    Trissociate | - | Variable Subsystem | Variable Role | Big Read | Insert Comments here.
    [/table]
    Trissociate: 3.5 Homebrew Base Class. Mix & match abilites & templates to make virtually any sort of character!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Theoretical Optimization Amusements
    Emerald Legion A Mind Flayer's guide to creating near-invincible super soldiers.
    Spellblade Tennis Throw out nigh infinite spells per round.
    Sleeping Raven Infinite Blood Frenzy nigh infinite melee damage exploit.

    Minor Accolades
    Quote Originally Posted by jmbrown View Post
    so deliciously flavorful
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaeron View Post
    Bravo Bravo
    Quote Originally Posted by Kansaschaser View Post
    I think you just saved my city.

  11. - Top - End - #41
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Cipherthe3vil's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Here and there.
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Morph Bark's Homebrew Tier Compendium

    Hmm...

    Tier my'brew? It would be nice to know where everything stands.

  12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Morph Bark's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Freljord

    Default Re: Morph Bark's Homebrew Tier Compendium

    Quote Originally Posted by JeminiZero View Post
    Okay. Its just that the caveat of "always need special permission" for the Variable Tier makes everything under it sound like some sort of game-breaking monstrousity.

    Ignoring the fact that Trissociate is the ONLY Variabe Tier class right now, I would imagine anything else that falls under Variable Tier would also be quite different from Trissociate (and all the other fixed tier classes). If I might suggest something, consider rewording the subheading to: "All of these are very different from the above, and even from one another. Refer to the individual comments for each."
    Looking at it again, I can see how someone would read it like that. I'll consider rewording it, since I meant it more in the vein of "due to the fact that these classes vary in Tier, you'll need special permission for them, since some options bring you up to a Tier that might not be allowed in the game I'm DMing for you".

    Quote Originally Posted by JeminiZero View Post
    Maybe something like this?

    *snip*
    Oh dear lord, no. I'll never use a table for this. While tables are incredibly handy for classes and easy list information in some cases, I don't feel it is appropriate and would end up looking cluttered here.

    Plus it is a lot of work.

    I had been thinking of doing a little spoilerblock underneath some or each of the classes to explain their Tiering/Tagging, but think that it might end up taking up a lot of space in symbols, going over the limit for the post much more quickly. Right now it wouldn't be a problem yet, but that'll change once many classes have been entered.

    Thanks for the suggestion though!


    Cipher, I'll definitely be looking at the Stylist at the very least.
    Strawberries = awesome avatarist.
    Current Projects:
    EMPIRE! -- A Community World-Building Game full of role-playing and strategy
    Analyzing RPG Systems
    Spoiler
    Show
    Campaign setting! Homebrew Tier Compendium! NPCs!
    FanFiction.net | DeviantART | Homebrewer's Signature

  13. - Top - End - #43
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Edge's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    The UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Morph Bark's Homebrew Tier Compendium

    I would like to offer my homebrew up for consideration. Link in my signature.

    Also, whilst I can see the benefits tables would add to this compendium, I quite like the current set up. So, whatever works for you, Messer Bark.

  14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2011

    Default Re: Morph Bark's Homebrew Tier Compendium

    Feel free to tier my blood knight class, though I'm considering revising it. Fighter and barbarian are pretty much done, though I am still tweaking the dancer at the moment. All links should be in my signature.

  15. - Top - End - #45
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Lonely Tylenol's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2011

    Default Re: Morph Bark's Homebrew Tier Compendium

    I've only created one base class, which I think is a high 3/low 2, but give it a look-see for yourself.
    Homebrewiness!
    Base Classes: Blood Mage
    Prestige Classes: Trophy Hunter / Spellshatterer
    Miscellany: Permanency Support
    Resources:
    Alchemical Items/Special Materials List / E6 Magic Item List

  16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Morph Bark's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Freljord

    Default Re: Morph Bark's Homebrew Tier Compendium

    I edited the Tier list to include some descriptions and explanations under some of the listed classes. Tell me what you guys think of it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Edge View Post
    Messer Bark.
    Since "mes" means "knife" in my native tongue, this almost sounds to me like you just called me Barkknifer or something.

    Not that I mind, my real name literally translated means "Knife of the Shred".
    Strawberries = awesome avatarist.
    Current Projects:
    EMPIRE! -- A Community World-Building Game full of role-playing and strategy
    Analyzing RPG Systems
    Spoiler
    Show
    Campaign setting! Homebrew Tier Compendium! NPCs!
    FanFiction.net | DeviantART | Homebrewer's Signature

  17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    May 2012

    Default Re: Morph Bark's Homebrew Tier Compendium

    I'd love to have you look over the Olympian =)

    It might get a little editing after its contest is officially ended, but that'll mostly be for clarity and brevity (while keeping things working the same).


    And thanks for linking to the original Tier stuff! It's not easy figuring out on your own what the Tiers mean when other people talk about them, especially when their opinions differ.


    EDIT: Durrrr... The Olympian is for Pathfinder, while this list is D&D 3e/3.5. My mistake.
    Last edited by Midwoka; 2012-06-11 at 08:16 PM.

  18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Welknair's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Surrounded by Books
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Morph Bark's Homebrew Tier Compendium

    Random note on Blood King: Thanks to Blood Mastery - Attune, their versatility is going to be very much dependent on the prevalance of bloodlines and bloodline-yielding creatures in the world. I'm guess Variable Tier, if not Tier 3.
    Avatar by Araveugnitsuga

    Fourthland: A Game of Abstraction
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Daverin View Post
    Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Virdish
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark
    There have also been times where I was jealous of your ingenuity and skills.

    Extended Homebrewer's Signature

  19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Morph Bark's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Freljord

    Default Re: Morph Bark's Homebrew Tier Compendium

    Quote Originally Posted by Midwoka View Post
    And thanks for linking to the original Tier stuff! It's not easy figuring out on your own what the Tiers mean when other people talk about them, especially when their opinions differ.
    No problem! Yes, it helps a lot knowing what other people talk about, especially since the Tiers are very prevalent nowadays. However, they should come with a bigger warning label, as some people still think the Tiers are hard and fast, even though with some spell bannings the Tier 1 and 2s can be brought down a Tier and low-optimization parties generally suffer less from Tier disparity (unless Druids are involved).

    Quote Originally Posted by Midwoka View Post
    EDIT: Durrrr... The Olympian is for Pathfinder, while this list is D&D 3e/3.5. My mistake.
    That's okay. I was actually thinking of perhaps including Pathfinder classes as well, adding an extra Tag that shows it's a Pathfinder class, with perhaps a blurb on how to easily convert a class from Pathfinder rules to 3.5 rules, and vice versa.

    Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    Random note on Blood King: Thanks to Blood Mastery - Attune, their versatility is going to be very much dependent on the prevalance of bloodlines and bloodline-yielding creatures in the world. I'm guess Variable Tier, if not Tier 3.
    I was thinking Tier 3, yeah, though which of the sub-Tiers of it I'm not sure yet. I'll probably make a little note of it that it depends some on the prevalence of bloodlines in the campaign setting.


    Anyhoo, the Tier list now includes the winner of the first Base Class Challenge, the Twilight Caster by Owrtho, as well as Temotei's Debaser! I'm loving the fluff and mechanics on both of these.
    Strawberries = awesome avatarist.
    Current Projects:
    EMPIRE! -- A Community World-Building Game full of role-playing and strategy
    Analyzing RPG Systems
    Spoiler
    Show
    Campaign setting! Homebrew Tier Compendium! NPCs!
    FanFiction.net | DeviantART | Homebrewer's Signature

  20. - Top - End - #50
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    DracoDei's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Near Atlanta,GA USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Morph Bark's Homebrew Tier Compendium

    Got two classes I would like tiered... or rather one now, and one later (unless you are feeling really brave and/or generous).

    Ok, first the easy one:
    Guardian of Minds: This one is meant to be strictly NPC. It is a version of the Paladin with ALMOST all the combat ability stripped out and taken more in the direction of "At-Will Detect Evil is actually a very powerful ability in intrigue campaigns". It may need to be listed separately for "when Moral Champion is available/in use" versus when using that ability isn't available or the opportunity cost is too high. This might make it "variable" or just have a footnote, or listed twice with a parenthetical under each one.
    Recommended Tags (ones I am less sure about have question marks next to them):
    Genre:
    (None)

    Inspiration:
    (None)

    Subsystems:
    Divine
    Invoker?(Big thematically, but also gets a lot of per day/week/month/year SLA's and other abilities)

    Role:
    Face (and even more so while under the effects of the Subvert the Invader sub-ability of Moral Champion)
    Melee*
    Ranged*
    Scout**
    *Only while under the effects of the Overt Heroics sub-ability of Moral Champion.
    **Only while under the effects of the Subvert the Invader sub-ability of Moral Champion.

    Special:
    Roleplay

    SUSPECTED TIERS:
    4 or 5 without Moral Champion available or appropriately activated
    3 or 4 with Moral Champion availalbe or appropriately activated


    Now for the curve-ball.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am currently playtesting this, so I may be adding some new abilities (including via feats). Therefore, unless you are willing to do this one twice, once now, and once after I get some real play-test done on it, I would advise you to delay this:
    The Grace-Gift: This is a class about being the wind SCRAM-jet beneath the party's wings, and AoOs. Buffer (and they are giving up there own defenses or otherwise nerfing themselves to do that buffing), holder of the front line, and day's end healbot. Neither I nor anyone I have spoken to have really seen its like before. Relies heavily on feats (especially the class-exclusive feats) for its customization, but unlike the fighter, those feats are much more meaningful (Or at least I hope so...). It may tail off towards the higher levels, but that just means I need to beef up the higher levels (IE I am not going to nerf the lower levels). More details on what I am considering doing to modify it available if you actually need them.

    Recommended Tags (ones I am less sure about have question marks next to them):
    Genre:
    (None)

    Inspiration:
    Original? (when almost everyone who looks at the class goes "I have no idea how this would work out in actual play." I get the impression this may be justified.)

    Sub-systems:
    Divine? (Certainly most of their at-wills replicate Divine spells).
    Arcane?? (But they do get a Fly equivalent, and eventually something that would leave Haste in the dust if it weren't for the fact that it was single target and comes at a cost to your own actions)
    Invoker (But they, unlike the warlock, know all the spells on their list...)
    NOT Vancian despite having one such ability, with more to be potentially added, especially via the "Never a Burden" ability.
    -Unique? (Does smashing together knowing all your spells from the cleric with a warlock's bottomless well of power count?)

    Roles:
    Buffer
    Healer(but needs more abilities for this at higher levels, especially acceleration of the times involved)
    Crafter(But ONLY due to Gift of Soul allowing donating XPs to item and spell casting, having the Craft skill on their list, and Aid Another)
    Magic
    Melee? (Do really good AoOs count? You can START your turn outside of the enemies' reaches, but the ability doesn't kick in until they do something within your reach.)
    Tank (A very odd sort of tank, but definitely intended as one. Not much at goading enemies into attacking them directly, but "or otherwise prevents his allies from behind harmed." definitely seems to me to fit the combination of buffing, AoOs, and having Brick Wall level defenses when they aren't giving away parts of them.).

    Special:
    Big Read? (I'm hitting the character count limit on the first post, and have a second post just for the class-specific feats).
    Incomplete? (Not that it LOOKS it, just that I really feel I need to beef up the later levels in terms of the range of abilities, comprehensiveness of abilities, speed of healing effects (might drop many of them down to 1 hour or eventually), and number of abilities you can use in one turn. That last part is because most of the buffs have durations of 1 round, so pre-cast buffs, especially those with 10 minute/level or longer durations start overwhelming you later.)

    SUSPECTED TIERS:
    Probably starts off at tier 3 at the lower levels, but also probably fades back to tier 4 at higher levels currently. This is a design flaw I need to fix by beefing up the higher levels as described above.
    Might hit Tier 2 if I add "Never A Burden".
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2012-11-21 at 05:13 AM.
    Best homebrew:
    Running: Ruceeglaelsktinag IC OOC Active Map
    Power Rangers:"BIG TWIST!!" (working title) IC OOC Active Map:None.
    For everything else (including my homebrew) see: Full list of Homebrew.
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

  21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Bhu's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Hell itself (Ohio)
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Morph Bark's Homebrew Tier Compendium

    im crious to see where you rate the Cat Burglar in my sig
    Revised avatar by Trixie, New avvie by Crisis21!
    Mah Fluffy Death Critters
    Orcs and Goblins
    Behold the Power of Kitteh!
    Backup threads available here

  22. - Top - End - #52
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2011

    Default Re: Morph Bark's Homebrew Tier Compendium

    I would love for you to take a look at my homebrew.

    the monk it started as a PHB monk fix, but it ended up as a Z Fighter (Dragonball) instead. I'll probably end up renaming it next time i revise it (which will be whenever i get some feedback on the changes i've made so far).

    Dragon Ascendant "Be a dragon without actually being a dragon" is basically the premise of this class

    The Wanderer basically a stripped down druid without the nature connection.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

    Where did you start yours?

    The PCs were already a special forces type unit in a kingdom's military, so the campaign started in the general's office.

    Extended Homebrew Signature

  23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Jarian's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Crazytown
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Morph Bark's Homebrew Tier Compendium

    By the by Morph Bark, having played several War-Marked and actually designed the last 6 levels of the class, I would put it in the high tier 3 category, if not tier 2 for high level games. The class was, as I understand, an attempt by the Penny Dreadfuls to make a tier 2 melee class for the Test of Spite. I'm not sure it entirely succeeded, but I definitely think the final combination of marks can edge it into that territory.
    Avatar by the illustrious Derjuin.
    Homebrewer's Signature
    If you use any of my homebrew, or even if you just have a strong opinion on it, please let me know. Feedback is always useful.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lightbringer Adison, Swordmage priestess of Pelor, by the very talented Darwin.

    Bunny!Adison by Alarra!

  24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Morph Bark's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Freljord

    Default Re: Morph Bark's Homebrew Tier Compendium

    Quote Originally Posted by Jarian View Post
    By the by Morph Bark, having played several War-Marked and actually designed the last 6 levels of the class, I would put it in the high tier 3 category, if not tier 2 for high level games. The class was, as I understand, an attempt by the Penny Dreadfuls to make a tier 2 melee class for the Test of Spite. I'm not sure it entirely succeeded, but I definitely think the final combination of marks can edge it into that territory.
    I'll take a look over it again later then. Thanks for telling me, it's very helpful, as I am not like to play all classes I am including here. From what I had seen I thought it was Tier 3 -- it clearly isn't Tier 4 by far -- but I may have skipped over or missed some things.

    Also, have a Tiering! I Tiered your Solar Ascendant class and put it at Borderline 3-4. It can vary due to SLA choices, but since they aren't flexible as with the Factotum and are rather limited, I don't think it's really Tier 3 material, though it does allow it to rise above most Tier 4s and the fact it gets a free magic ranged weapon and a free magic melee weapon and flight as well make it better than Rangers and Warlocks, I'd say. The "Protective Aura" ability seems a bit off though... it starts out with +2 AC and +2 on saves vs evil creatures, then becomes like Protection From Evil at level 9. Isn't Protection From Evil basicially just that, +2 AC and +2 on saves vs evil creatures? The ability could use some changing/buffing if so.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bhu View Post
    im crious to see where you rate the Cat Burglar in my sig
    OH GOD SO MUCH WORK HELL NO

    jk, I'll be sure to take a look at it. If only to have an excuse to look at your grand collection of cat pictures.

    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    I hope you know what you've gotten yourself into.

    We've got:
    Changeling Warshaper
    Guardian

    Optional:
    Totem Fury
    I was fully ready to Tier the Guardian and actually put it in, but because I ended up nearly putting it under Tier 5, while I just want to see it be Tier 4, I thought I'd just post my evaluation here:

    While it has great features for a tank, which is its intended main goal, the "must not move" clause of its primary ability makes it inherently very weak. Limited movement is okay if it grants great things, which it does, but taking it away entirely is not. With not being allowed to move and treating threatened squares as difficult terrain for enemies, some reach would have been a very good idea as well, or simply making a follow-up ability that makes all squares within X feet of the Guardian become difficult terrain, in an aura. Call to Battle is gained way too late to be effective much, without an earlier ability to lead up to it, which could've been good.

    Quote Originally Posted by NeoSeraphi View Post
    I'd be happy to let you look over my work. Please let me know what you think. I put a lot of effort into creativity and flavor over power, so I would appreciate the feedback.
    I nearly ended up Tiering the Slowknife due to the cool concept, but then I saw and remembered it is a PrC, so instead I took a look at the Librarian, which I am in the process of Tiering now. Looking very good so far, but I'm reading the abilities over again later to make sure I understand them correctly.

    Quote Originally Posted by GunbladeKnight View Post
    Feel free to tier my blood knight class, though I'm considering revising it. Fighter and barbarian are pretty much done, though I am still tweaking the dancer at the moment. All links should be in my signature.
    It does look like it could use a revision. The early levels are either dead or only grant weak feats, which is a very bad idea in general. The other abilities are rather nice (beside the enhancement bonuses on the blood weapon, which is pretty standard, but in a good way), but it could use more of them, like four times as much, perhaps needing to pick between some of them. Looking at its apparent themes, you might like the current Mixed Ultimate Homebrew Arts challenge. Do it. Do it. Do it.


    I've also added some classes I found again that I was very familiar with already from past campaigns. Ladies and gentlemen: the Limit Warriors!
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2012-06-15 at 08:16 PM.
    Strawberries = awesome avatarist.
    Current Projects:
    EMPIRE! -- A Community World-Building Game full of role-playing and strategy
    Analyzing RPG Systems
    Spoiler
    Show
    Campaign setting! Homebrew Tier Compendium! NPCs!
    FanFiction.net | DeviantART | Homebrewer's Signature

  25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Jarian's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Crazytown
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Morph Bark's Homebrew Tier Compendium

    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    The "Protective Aura" ability seems a bit off though... it starts out with +2 AC and +2 on saves vs evil creatures, then becomes like Protection From Evil at level 9. Isn't Protection From Evil basicially just that, +2 AC and +2 on saves vs evil creatures? The ability could use some changing/buffing if so.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD, Protection from Evil
    Second, the barrier blocks any attempt to possess the warded creature (by a magic jar attack, for example) or to exercise mental control over the creature (including enchantment (charm) effects and enchantment (compulsion) effects that grant the caster ongoing control over the subject, such as dominate person). The protection does not prevent such effects from targeting the protected creature, but it suppresses the effect for the duration of the protection from evil effect. If the protection from evil effect ends before the effect granting mental control does, the would-be controller would then be able to mentally command the controlled creature. Likewise, the barrier keeps out a possessing life force but does not expel one if it is in place before the spell is cast. This second effect works regardless of alignment.

    Third, the spell prevents bodily contact by summoned creatures. This causes the natural weapon attacks of such creatures to fail and the creatures to recoil if such attacks require touching the warded creature. Good summoned creatures are immune to this effect. The protection against contact by summoned creatures ends if the warded creature makes an attack against or tries to force the barrier against the blocked creature. Spell resistance can allow a creature to overcome this protection and touch the warded creature.
    Those are the additions at 9th level.
    Avatar by the illustrious Derjuin.
    Homebrewer's Signature
    If you use any of my homebrew, or even if you just have a strong opinion on it, please let me know. Feedback is always useful.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lightbringer Adison, Swordmage priestess of Pelor, by the very talented Darwin.

    Bunny!Adison by Alarra!

  26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Morph Bark's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Freljord

    Default Re: Morph Bark's Homebrew Tier Compendium

    Quote Originally Posted by Jarian View Post
    Those are the additions at 9th level.
    Ahh, right. Those never have come up before in our games, well the possession has in my session plannings, but I had completely forgotten/ignored the "natural weapons of summoned creatures bounce off you" part! That makes it a lot better already, especially against casters, fond as they are of summoning.
    Strawberries = awesome avatarist.
    Current Projects:
    EMPIRE! -- A Community World-Building Game full of role-playing and strategy
    Analyzing RPG Systems
    Spoiler
    Show
    Campaign setting! Homebrew Tier Compendium! NPCs!
    FanFiction.net | DeviantART | Homebrewer's Signature

  27. - Top - End - #57
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    DracoDei's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Near Atlanta,GA USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Morph Bark's Homebrew Tier Compendium

    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post

    Also, have a Tiering! I Tiered your Solar Ascendant class and put it at Borderline 3-4. It can vary due to SLA choices, but since they aren't flexible as with the Factotum and are rather limited, I don't think it's really Tier 3 material, though it does allow it to rise above most Tier 4s and the fact it gets a free magic ranged weapon and a free magic melee weapon and flight as well make it better than Rangers and Warlocks, I'd say. The "Protective Aura" ability seems a bit off though... it starts out with +2 AC and +2 on saves vs evil creatures, then becomes like Protection From Evil at level 9. Isn't Protection From Evil basicially just that, +2 AC and +2 on saves vs evil creatures? The ability could use some changing/buffing if so.
    Nope. You are forgetting the second and third abilities of Protection from Evil.
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/protectionFromEvil.htm
    Second, the barrier blocks any attempt to possess the warded creature (by a magic jar attack, for example) or to exercise mental control over the creature (including enchantment (charm) effects and enchantment (compulsion) effects that grant the caster ongoing control over the subject, such as dominate person). The protection does not prevent such effects from targeting the protected creature, but it suppresses the effect for the duration of the protection from evil effect. If the protection from evil effect ends before the effect granting mental control does, the would-be controller would then be able to mentally command the controlled creature. Likewise, the barrier keeps out a possessing life force but does not expel one if it is in place before the spell is cast. This second effect works regardless of alignment.

    Third, the spell prevents bodily contact by summoned creatures. This causes the natural weapon attacks of such creatures to fail and the creatures to recoil if such attacks require touching the warded creature. Good summoned creatures are immune to this effect. The protection against contact by summoned creatures ends if the warded creature makes an attack against or tries to force the barrier against the blocked creature. Spell resistance can allow a creature to overcome this protection and touch the warded creature.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2012-06-15 at 08:34 PM.
    Best homebrew:
    Running: Ruceeglaelsktinag IC OOC Active Map
    Power Rangers:"BIG TWIST!!" (working title) IC OOC Active Map:None.
    For everything else (including my homebrew) see: Full list of Homebrew.
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

  28. - Top - End - #58
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Giegue's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009

    Default Re: Morph Bark's Homebrew Tier Compendium

    This is awesome. Really awesome. GITPG has produced some wonderful homebrew and this is a nice way to organize them all. I look forward to seeing the Oozorden appear here. Sadly, I only have two homebrew classes to my name on this site, and one of them is a PrC. If you want to see it I can re-post it. It's not all that "original" compared to some of the awesome, awesome homebrew on this site, but still a fun class with a fair bit of customization that people seemed to like. It's a tier 1 divine caster that is a priest class even less martial then a cloistered cleric. It is in a sense a half-way point between an archivist and cleric, and is charisma-based(because there is no tier 1 cha-based caster.). If you like, I can link it for you to see. It was intended as a Tier 1. Most likely you won't care about it, but I just thought I should mention it.

  29. - Top - End - #59
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location

    Default Re: Morph Bark's Homebrew Tier Compendium

    Beastmaster
    Berserker
    Crackerjack
    Dweomerpulse
    Hunter
    Moondancer
    Mystic
    Spellbinder
    Spelldancer
    Unfledged
    Weaponmaster


    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    I've decided to remove the Crackerjack from the list. While I liked its focus on skills and its use of them, getting a bonus feat every level was ultimately too much.
    Do you suggest reducing the number of feats? If so, how much? (Shall I copy this part of the post to the Crackerjack thread?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Newtkeeper View Post
    Dude, we're geeks. Overanalysis is our job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tingel View Post
    You are funny, ideasmith.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vadskye View Post
    I really like the way the Awareness school came about. I created a Detection subschool, which you reinterpreted into a conceptually distinct Awareness subschool. Then I misinterpreted what you meant and created yet another conceptually (slightly) distinct Awareness subschool. Teamwork!
    I try to keep my homebrew catgirl-safe. (link)

  30. - Top - End - #60
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Mithril Leaf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Morph Bark's Homebrew Tier Compendium

    Because Hazuki is far too humble to ask you for it, may I request that you review The Traveller? It's one of my very favorite homebrew classes and I'd like to know where it stands.
    If you see me talking about Shaper Psions, assume that anything not poison immune within 100 feet will be dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    I was going to PM you about it because I wanted to know, but then you posted it later. Elegant solution. Watch out for Necropolitans.
    My Homebrew Signature such as it is.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •