New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: [Rail] Academy City OOC Thread III: Electromagnetic Hyper-cannon Go!

The best part is that if he faces a strong enemy and I don't want him to die, he can become really powerfull, and then suddenly drop back to sero when the fight ends.

Okay, I'll to see if anyone has any problems with it, then make a character sheet if they don't.
    Last edited by KoboldofDoom; 2012-07-16 at 12:21 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

And so do I.

Darwin discovered a little thing called evolution. What he didn't ever really say, what he was to polite to say, is the reason why we humans survived. That reason, is because we are the most censored crazy censoreds on the planet. That is all.

It's not cartoons, it's anime.
    It's not comics, it's manga.
    It's not a board game, it's Dungeons and Dragons.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [Rail] Academy City OOC Thread III: Electromagnetic Hyper-cannon Go!

Quote Originally Posted by KoboldofDoom View Post
    The best part is that if he faces a strong enemy and I don't want him to die, he can become really powerfull, and then suddenly drop back to sero when the fight ends.
    Er, no. If you don't want him to die against an enemy that would usually kill him, then you should work something out with the controller of that enemy. Temporary power boosts can sometimes work in certain circumstances, but they shouldn't be invoked simply because you don't want to lose.
    Last edited by Anyr; 2012-07-16 at 01:00 PM.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Pixie in the Playground

Yeah, i suppose your right. Besides, I can just make another. And another. And another. And another. And another. And another. And hack the network to make me god, thus ending the madness. Or maybe ragequit.

So is the power okay then? Any details I should add? Or is it good to go?
    Last edited by KoboldofDoom; 2012-07-16 at 01:11 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

And so do I.

Darwin discovered a little thing called evolution. What he didn't ever really say, what he was to polite to say, is the reason why we humans survived. That reason, is because we are the most censored crazy censoreds on the planet. That is all.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ettin in the Playground

So is the power okay then? Any details I should add?
    Well, an actual write-up of it for his sheet would be helpful. That way other players can look up details of it without having to ask in the OOC, or page back through tons of other posts.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Pixie in the Playground

Sure.

Name (Japanese style): Narashi Tentei

Appearance:
    Spoiler
    Show

Personality: Take Shikamaru from Naruto, get rid of the ninja stuff, make him both less and more lazy, and then move him to AC, and you get Tentei. He's an extremely lazy minimalist who hates change. Avoid touching his Berserk Buttons though. Theres a bunch of them. And, never, ever, mention the Kyoto Debacle. Or Kyoto. Or samurai, ninja, monks, catgirls, or underage drinking.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Kyoto Debacle is Tentei's Noodle Incident

He also like sugar. He really likes sugar. Don't tough his candy. He hates poetry and dislikes most sports. He is, however, slightly manipulitive, and doesn't have many freinds. He does, however, have lots of plans.

Skills: He's smart but lazy. He doesn't even know about his power (yet), so he doesn't know how to use it. He tries to avoid conflict as much as possible, as he doesn't have much skill as a fighter. He's memorized (he knows what to do, but it doesn't mean he can actually use it) a variety of fighting styles in case he needs them, and also has memorized the bodies weak points. He isn't overly fit, but he's not as bad as some people. So, while he can fight, a member of Judgement, Anti-Skill, or (especially) MAR can take him out with only a bit of trouble. For now anyways (meaning for the next five hundred posts or so).

Esper Ability: Spontaneous matter dislocation controlled/empored by a maximized emotional state.

In simple english, the ability to move stuff from on place to another. Without control, it would look like, say; "I'm angry" screamed the person, punching out in rage. His fist dislocates the air in front of it, pushing it forwards in a blast. My idea (sciencewise) is that his Esper power allows him to dislocated matter (solid, liquid, gas or plasma, it doesn't matter that much) to a diifferent are, so if he uses it on a treee then the wood is pushed outward in the form of splinters. Interference from the human brain prevents it from being used on his foes directly, but he could still hit them with displaced air, or water, or what have you. Plotwise, he has to learn exactly what his power is, and then how to control his emotions so he can learn how touse it without being depressede, or in a berserk rage. Eventually he would be able to, say, displace would from a tree to make a wooden hammer, and the like. If he learns the intricies of, say, a gun, then by having the materials for a gun, he gan make one. This requires the materials for a gun, he can't just blow up a sidewalk and suddenly have a bazooka, he has too be in a bazooka factory and have studied the design of a bazooka for it to work.

It reads as Level 0, but varies depending on his emotional state.

Anything missing? I will detail the power more, put I have some stuff to do for now.

And also, how do I put it on the wiki?
    Last edited by KoboldofDoom; 2012-07-16 at 07:04 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

And so do I.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ettin in the Playground

...It reads as Level 0, actually inbetween Levels 1 and 2.

Anything missing? I will detail the power more, put I have some stuff to do for now.

And also, how do I put it on the wiki?
    It looks like you've got all the essentials covered. To add a sheet to the wiki, just log in (for which you'll need an account), go to 'characters', and type the name of your character into the text box near the top of the page. When you click 'add', a new character template will be automatically drafted, into which you can write your sheet.

Also, a power level of between 1 and 2 might be too low for what you have in mind. Someone of that range, for instance, wouldn't be able to hurt people with strong blasts of air, or punch a sturdy tree to bits. The examples you described are more in keeping with Level 3.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord-Cao-Cao View Post
    Right down to Hajimes' new name being 'Shizuo'.
    Shizuo means "Serene man", which I used more for its vicious irony rather than a reference.

Also I like the name, and its fairly decent for Hajime. Who will have another new name by the end of the arc!

(Sticking with a single name is for losers who don't like being ridiculous)
    I make avatars. Send me a request.
    BiTP:RCharacters
    Let's Play: Video Games!
    I suffer from major insomnia, don't be surprised if I'm on at odd hours.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Pixie in the Playground

Thanks for the help. I will occasionally have him rage against the stupider parts of the Toaru series (ie, giving kids superpowers and not bothering to properly moniter them or their psychological state).

What school would he be in? Does Azabu go to High School, or do I need to make up/find a new one?
    Spoiler
    Show

And so do I.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ettin in the Playground

Thanks for the help. I will occasionally have him rage against the stupider parts of the Toaru series (ie, giving kids superpowers and not bothering to properly moniter them or their psychological state).
    Actually, the important ones receive rather a lot of attention. It's been shown throughout the series that (should the fancy take him) the Director has a lot of ways to keep track of his prized experiments. It's more that he doesn't seem to care about those who aren't part of his grand plan.

What school would he be in? Does Azabu go to High School, or do I need to make up/find a new one?
    That's up to you. Since he's 15, that would put him in Middle School, thus making both Onizuka and Azabu valid choices.
    Last edited by Anyr; 2012-07-16 at 08:30 PM.

10. - Top - End - #160

Oh? You mean like those evaluations in the database that you see Kuroko go through to find the chick drawing eyebrows on people; the ones that have psych evaluations?

11. - Top - End - #161
    Pixie in the Playground

They check, but they don't do anything about it, and, seriously, giving people superpowers. If you look at the the canon Railgun, she attacks people with lightning for bothering her. Teenagers are going through puberty, and thus can get angry, sad, or depressed easily. Combine that with the power to blow people up, and you have a bloodbath (maybe, it depends on the individual). So, from the point of view of a deliberate underacheiver who is only in the AC because his parents want him to go to the famous schools there, it's even more stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Anyr View Post
    Actually, the important ones receive rather a lot of attention. It's been shown throughout the series that (should the fancy take him) the Director has a lot of ways to keep track of his prized experiments. It's more that he doesn't seem to care about those who aren't part of his grand plan.
    When I say supervise, I mean actuallywatch over them and make them obey laws, not use them in whatever Aleister's schemes are. Like, not creating sentient beings and then killing them, or not controlling people minds.

Quote Originally Posted by Anyr View Post
    That's up to you. Since he's 15, that would put him in Middle School, thus making both Onizuka and Azabu valid choices.
    Really? That's different than were I come from. Wierd.
    Last edited by KoboldofDoom; 2012-07-16 at 08:54 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

And so do I.

12. - Top - End - #162

Supervise them and watch over laws?

Judgement. And you might notice that AC adopts a 'hands-off' policy towards the Level 5s; because most of them are ridiculously dangerous.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ettin in the Playground

He does have a point, though. When it comes to the standard Esper population, Academy City is a lot less controlling than they could be. I've always assumed that that's because: A) Doing so would tarnish the public image that they rely on when dealing with the outside world; And/Or B) They secretly favour social darwinism as a means of advancing their subjects' power, and thus don't want to limit conflict between the Espers too much.

As for the tiny percentage of elite Espers, though, that just looks like good old fashioned favouritism. The Level 5s in particular are allowed to get away with an insane amount of illegal activity in canon, ranging from all-out brawls in public areas to destroying dozens of government labs. It seems as if the Powers That Be of Academy City accept such damage as a necessary cost of their grand design.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: [Rail] Academy City OOC Thread III: Electromagnetic Hyper-cannon Go!

The vast majority of the Espers do not appear to have too much power in canon, with some even bragging about being level 2. Presumably, the reason it seems unchecked is because the stories follow characters so high up that Academy City's resources are insufficient to properly deal with them. That, or it would be a legal nightmare to implement safety measures against teenagers or force them to take therapy. :3

That is, of course, simply my hypothesis, however. Sorry if I missed something important. ^_^'
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Pixie in the Playground

Pretty certain an establishment that produces people like Kihara Amata and projects like UNDER_LINE can put a stop to most Espers. Especially with things like Capacity Down. I'm more with Anyr on this one, to be honest.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Atrum-Persavor
    Guest in the Playground

In Canon!Academy City, yes, yes they do. Because in the grand scheme of things, eventually developing a Level 6 is the main driving aim for the existence of Academy City itself, so if the whole city gets blown up and a Level 6(with all its implied power) created, it's done its job. So they let the Level 5s roam free. And occasionally screw with them to try to up their level.

Furthermore, Misaka can mess up a whole powergrid if she wanted to and Accelerator, Mugino, Gunha and Kakine have ridiculous destructive potential. Nobody is going to try to stop somebody like -that-, because half the city will catch fire and burn down when they try. It'd be much simpler to just let them nuke 1-2 buildings.

Anyway, for lower-level espers, they have Judgement, and Capacity Down for anybody who gets too uppity.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Pixie in the Playground

While you are all correct, we as actual people have an informed perspective of all of this. From the point of view of, say, a random shopowner, the entire idea of creating Espers is insane. And I still don't know why the BoD even wants a Level 6. Accelerator from canon was/is insanely powerful, and if he leveled up he'd essentially be god. Who in their right mind wants someone that powerful existing.

Aside from the SEMANTICS, am I good to go for joining the IC?
    Last edited by KoboldofDoom; 2012-07-17 at 11:00 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

And so do I.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ettin in the Playground

While you are all correct, we as actual people have an informed perspective of all of this. From the point of view of, say, a random shopowner, the entire idea of creating Espers is insane. And I still don't know why the BoD even wants a Level 6. Accelerator from canon was/is insanely powerful, and if he leveled up he'd essentially be god. Who in their right mind wants someone that powerful existing.
    Spoiler
    Show
    We won't know the answer to that for certain until the series chooses to tell us. However, it's implied in the novels that Aleister's aim is to turn himself into a Level 6/'One who is above God'. The experiment supposedly intended to raise Accelerator to that level was created to 'fail' from the beginning, in order to set other schemes in motion. But again, Aleister's ultimate goal might be something completely different. For all we know, Level 6 might just be a smokescreen.

Aside from the SEMANTICS, am I good to go for joining the IC?
    I don't see why not.
    Last edited by Anyr; 2012-07-17 at 11:17 AM.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Pixie in the Playground

Hm. I wonder where C'Nor's gone?

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry, I was doing a play, and I just now really got back to posting regularly again. Do you need me to post somewhere?

Oh, also, Ryuu actually has a real name now, so any references by me to Shiryō Kasai are talking about her.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Pixie in the Playground

Well, Mei has just told Ryuu that she might want to inform Ina that Daisuke is going to be arrested soon, and that consequently she should stay away from him if she doesn't want to be arrested either.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

Quick question - What sorts of school activities would Mei be talking about in that post? I'm having a hard time figuring out what kind of school-sponsored things being a Level Four pyrokinetic would help with.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Pixie in the Playground

Errr...She could help in the Daihaisei festival, I guess-And you really don't need psychic powers to play sport, or be part of an art or music club. Or a cooking club.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, yes. It's just that the way she said it implied that the two were related, so...

25. - Top - End - #175
    Pixie in the Playground

If it appeared that way, I apologise. What I had intended for her to mean was that, as a Level Four, Ryuu should be more prominent in the affairs of Tokiwadai.

Also, Terry, you gonna post soon, man? You're leaving Anyr and Moroe hanging.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord-Cao-Cao View Post
    Also, Terry, you gonna post soon, man? You're leaving Anyr and Moroe hanging.
    Don't forget Duos. He only has one character, so such delays are worse for him than they are for us.

27. - Top - End - #177

I just honestly don't know what to do or say. I'll try to write something, but it probably won't turn out very... nice, to put it politely.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terry576 View Post
    I just honestly don't know what to do or say. I'll try to write something, but it probably won't turn out very... nice, to put it politely.
    I know the feeling; It happens to everyone sooner or later. Sometimes we just have to accept that a post isn't going to be as good as we'd like it to be. There's nothing wrong with submitting a bit of filler now and again when writer's block strikes.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Barbarian in the Playground

Why is Moroe still trying to shoot a nigh-indestructible monster with a rifle?

She has the easiest out ever; I'm surprised you haven't used it yet.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Duos View Post
    Why is Moroe still trying to shoot a nigh-indestructible monster with a rifle?

She has the easiest out ever; I'm surprised you haven't used it yet.
    What's obvious to you may not be so for others. From my perspective, any of the plans I've formulated for this encounter could be the optimal solution. Neither I nor Moroe have any way of knowing which (if any) is the 'correct' answer; Not that I'd necessarily choose it first even if I did know.