New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    No, that's not what I'm saying at all. What I'm saying is that it's an extremely anti-climactic way to kill the character and it's sucking the drama from this scene.
    We really shouldn't be any stranger to this from Thunt by now. It's not the first time something like this has happened, where sheer luck decides a fight more than anything else.
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

2. - Top - End - #842
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    Actually it's because he touched the finger with his bare flesh. Saving throws have nothing to do with it, because Game stats do not matter in the comic
    Well, there has been several references to hit points, and every time someone is dying, red negative numbers appear above their head.
    While not the mechanics-verse Erfworld is, it still seems a tad schizophrenic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

3. - Top - End - #843
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    Well, there has been several references to hit points, and every time someone is dying, red negative numbers appear above their head.
    While not the mechanics-verse Erfworld is, it still seems a tad schizophrenic.
    That's because it's the world in wich a game takes place, that doesn't mean that characters ACTUALLY roll a saving throw every time they touch Mr. Fingers. And aside from the noncanon statblock we have no evidence to suggest it's even possible to touch mr. fingers and get away unscathed.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #844
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

The comic. Does not. Follow. The game mechanics. The game mechanics. Followed. The Comic.

And the stat post was adjusted to make things fair, in the Goblinverse it's 100% touch and loose a limb, there are no fort saves or whatever factored into it, if you touch the thing, you WILL be effected because that is how it works!

And you know just because he's begun loosing a leg doesn't mean he's lost the fight, i can easily see him adapting to hopping around on one leg or crawling after Grem, Hell he's told us spesificly that he does not have a sense of loss, if his leg is gone, so what!? he can still fight! So he keeps fighting! It's not like it can't be replaced by either Klik, The blue orb, or a log.

Also: Dat fourth pannel BF
    Thunt pretends he follows mechanics, or at least has some. It's one of the reasons I started reading the comics. Unfortunately every time he divulges his mechanics, it makes me nerdrage because Thunt is terrible at writing mechanics. He's a narrativist and his story is of course on rails (it's a story, not a game). So I dunno. When he doesn't follow the rules implicit in the universe, it bugs me, but it bugs me even more when he makes up bad rules in an attempt to justify, say, a level 2 middle aged goblin monk defeating a level 6 ranger who took favored enemy: goblin.

5. - Top - End - #845
    Ogre in the Playground

... is there a possibility that he can cut off his own leg and beat Grem to death with it? (Would doing so pass on the infection?)

6. - Top - End - #846
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Let's see if I'm getting this straight; Biscuit is facing the reader on the first page so its a mirror image from our perspective. By sending the finger towards the left side of the panel, he has deflected the Finger o' Melty Doom away to his right and behind him. The angle of the image makes it look like it went forward and to the right, but whatever.

Biscuit charges at Grem, who dodges to Biscuit's right (our left) and runs across diagonally to the fire behind both. Biscuit pursues him though the flames and then apparently steps on the finger with his right foot.

Grem headed away from the direction Biscuit deflected it in the first place.

Grem runs to our right on the first page; on the second page, the perspective is flipped, but his leap from right to left is just the mirror image of the previous page. As such, he dove to the left of Biscuit's original position.

7. - Top - End - #847
    Ettin in the Playground

One word for Biscuit's
    Spoiler
    Show
    infected leg, AMPUTATION! (metal guitar noise)
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

8. - Top - End - #848
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    By sending the finger towards the left side of the panel, he has deflected the Finger o' Melty Doom away to his right and behind him.

Biscuit charges at Grem, who dodges to Biscuit's right (our left) and runs across diagonally to the fire behind both.
    I don't understand. The finger went to Biscuit's right. Grem went to Biscuit's right. Sounds like the same direction to me?

Edit: Hm... I think I see what you're trying to say... I think what we're supposed to take from the last panel of the first page, though, is that there is ALSO fire to our left. I think he's running in the same direction he dodged into; he just kept running. The perspective was changed for the last panel to be from Biscuit's rough point of view.
    Last edited by The Linker; 2012-09-16 at 01:35 AM.

9. - Top - End - #849
    Titan in the Playground

That's because it's the world in wich a game takes place, that doesn't mean that characters ACTUALLY roll a saving throw every time they touch Mr. Fingers. And aside from the noncanon statblock we have no evidence to suggest it's even possible to touch mr. fingers and get away unscathed.
    Well, no, no more than you yourself make a Fortitude save every time you come in contact with a pathogen. However, Biscuit is someone who should be good at resisting these kinds of effects, whether you call that a Fortitude Save, Save verses Disease, or whatever.
    If anything, the lack of in-world referral to the specific mechanic involved means he is more likely to succeed at resisting it, no unlucky rolling a 1 on something that he would be able to easily resist.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2012-09-16 at 02:10 AM.

10. - Top - End - #850
    Ogre in the Playground

I still maintain the best solution to this scenario is a meteor dropped from orbit. It will be sudden, unexpected and about fifty times more dramatic and interesting to view than the current on-screen characters.

11. - Top - End - #851
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame.
    and disappointing, also.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

12. - Top - End - #852
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

I have a sneaking suspicion we are supposed to be rooting for the Goblin, but I'm not feeling it.
    Yeah ,not feeling anything either. Biscuit has better lines anyway.

13. - Top - End - #853
    Firbolg in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

It is a Very sunny day.

14. - Top - End - #854
    Bugbear in the Playground

Y'know, even if he didn't recognize it for what it was, wouldn't he of at least known that, since it was something that a guy trying to kill him threw at him, he should keep an eye out for it and stay away from it? I mean, if a guy's trying to kill you, and he throws something at you, it can't be anything good.

But, yeah, another good old Thunt anti-climax. Huzzah. And by huzzah, I mean lame.

15. - Top - End - #855
    Titan in the Playground

If a guy who just stabbed you in the back twice threw a finger at you and then ran away while still fully capable of killing you in the future, would you REALLY be more concerned about the finger?
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #856
    Titan in the Playground

I've noticed that anti-climax has come to mean "I don't like what happened" around here. So let me ask you something...

Grem is fighting Biscuit. Grem pulls out the finger. We all know that anything that touches it starts to liquify. What did you expect to happen? The finger was going to do something. Maybe it wasn't gonna be Biscuit, but someone was going to get at least partially gooped by that thing.

So Grem throws the finger probably figuring it was safer than trying to get in close even if there was a chance he would miss. Biscuit deflects it and it looks like Grem is dead. Still, the finger had to go somewhere and it was still going to affect one of the fights.

And now it turns out that somewhere is on the ground nearby. Biscuit pulls a stupid and steps on it (in his defense, it's pretty small and hard to see, especially when you're focusing on someone else trying to kill you) and his leg starts gooping..

Still, fight's not over yet. It takes more than one touch to kill. That leg is as good as gone and he's lost the advantage in his fight, but considering what they they just spent a story arc getting, if he wins (more difficult now but not impossible), all he has to do is get the dragonballs blue orb of bloodlight and he can regrow the limb.

Quote Originally Posted by Maryring View Post
    I still maintain the best solution to this scenario is a meteor dropped from orbit. It will be sudden, unexpected and about fifty times more dramatic and interesting to view than the current on-screen characters.
    And yet I doubt it would stop comments like this.

17. - Top - End - #857
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Yeah ,not feeling anything either. Biscuit has better lines anyway.
    Heck yeah! Who cares about grem? His qualities as a likable character are limited at best. The whole back and forth with K'seliss helped greatly, but frankly he's now back with his fellow Vipers. He was a unlikable **** before they went in the dungeon, and it's clear that saves isn't going to fall for him, so I don't see any redeemable opportunities appearing where he could become likable.

Where as Biscuit is awesome on eight different levels, fearless, and not in league with an evil villain. How are we not supposed to be pulling for Biscuit?

I hope summoner is right, and Biscuit still wins the fight. If this was how he died, it would feel very cheap.

18. - Top - End - #858

I don't know, I honestly expect them both to survive and Grem will join the fight against Duv because honor or something.

This will lead to a humorous but stressful relationship between Grem and Biscuit that will end with them becoming BFFs after much hardships, but ultimately ending in tragedy with the death of one of them. My money's on Biscuit.
    "Nothing can stop The Smooze."

19. - Top - End - #859
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    *snip*
    Cute. But that's a swing and a miss so hard you send the bat flying considering it was less about that annoying finger and more... well

Quote Originally Posted by Maryring View Post
    I'm holding a button on all the vipers perishing, simply so that the storylines can be brought together a bit. Having three plots running concurrently doesn't work so well. It's very easy to lose the thread/interest in a storyline.

20. - Top - End - #860
    Titan in the Playground

And I claimed it was about the finger? It was a pointless comment that added nothing to the conversation. If you don't like it (either the comic or just the current plotline), no one is forcing you to read it and nothing constructive comes out of whining about it.

21. - Top - End - #861
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityGrace View Post
    Heck yeah! Who cares about grem? His qualities as a likable character are limited at best. The whole back and forth with K'seliss helped greatly, but frankly he's now back with his fellow Vipers. He was a unlikable **** before they went in the dungeon, and it's clear that saves isn't going to fall for him, so I don't see any redeemable opportunities appearing where he could become likable.
    To be honest, I don't care about the entire Dies subplot. I'd wish it'd get back to the Goblin adventuring party.

22. - Top - End - #862
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy13a View Post
    To be honest, I don't care about the entire Dies subplot. I'd wish it'd get back to the Goblin adventuring party.
    You see that's fair. I personally don't care about the Minmax/Forgath subplot overmuch, outside of looking at the traps in the dungeon. Yes Minmax and Kin have a relationship, how boringly cute.

23. - Top - End - #863
    Troll in the Playground

And I claimed it was about the finger? It was a pointless comment that added nothing to the conversation. If you don't like it (either the comic or just the current plotline), no one is forcing you to read it and nothing constructive comes out of whining about it.
    That's not really fair. The only reason they're reading it at all is because they like it -- they're just disappointed with what's happening, and so they're voicing their concerns. Is it not a valid criticism to say they find these characters boring? I don't fully agree, myself, but then I typically hold judgment until after the fact. I don't think criticism should necessarily be discouraged any more than "I am totally excited to see what happens next" comments.

24. - Top - End - #864
    Titan in the Playground

I wouldn't mind going back to Minmax, Forgath and Kin for a bit.

25. - Top - End - #865
    Titan in the Playground

Good criticism is constructive. It's something that could potentially lead somewhere useful. Saying you don't like the characters and giving reason why is perfectly valid criticism. Suggesting that the best thing that could happen next is death from above with meteors... Not so much.

26. - Top - End - #866
    Troll in the Playground

I guess he really should've watched his step. Shame, I was rooting for him.

27. - Top - End - #867
    Titan in the Playground

Grem is fighting Biscuit. Grem pulls out the finger. We all know that anything that touches it starts to liquify. What did you expect to happen? The finger was going to do something. Maybe it wasn't gonna be Biscuit, but someone was going to get at least partially gooped by that thing.
    Maybe yes, or maybe not. We don't know what will be the final outcome, but one of the possibilities could have been Biscuit that (after swapping away the lethal finger, without knowing what it is) kills an horrified Grem, then walks away while the finger burns in the fire. The failure of a chekhov's gun isn't necessarily a bad thing.
    Being seriously damaged (killed?) by the finger you avoided, and on which you simply stepped on later... it's a thing that can happen, but it's also a thing that can leave you with a sense of disappointment.
    But again, the fight isn't still over.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

28. - Top - End - #868
    Banned

I wouldn't mind going back to Minmax, Forgath and Kin for a bit.
    I believe that both of you will get your wish at about the same time....

29. - Top - End - #869
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Thunt's excessive fights scenes kind of disappoint me. I imagine in a comic book where I get all 400 pages or whatever, it'd be totally badass, but waiting until tuesday (or who knows when!) sucks!

I started reading goblins years ago, but one scene that I always remember is Kore cleaning out the orcs with his 4 barrel crossbows and there's a top down view of fleeing monsters getting gunned down.

I'm not sure if his later stuff just isn't as inspired, or the taking a month to resolve 12 seconds of battle, but I feel like the fight scenes since minmax killed that ranger have been difficult to follow and not particularly interesting, visually.

Fingers was creepy as hell, but that whole fight sequence I don't remember. Is it just the slow pacing or what?

30. - Top - End - #870

Quote Originally Posted by EsperDerek View Post
    Y'know, even if he didn't recognize it for what it was, wouldn't he of at least known that, since it was something that a guy trying to kill him threw at him, he should keep an eye out for it and stay away from it? I mean, if a guy's trying to kill you, and he throws something at you, it can't be anything good.

But, yeah, another good old Thunt anti-climax. Huzzah. And by huzzah, I mean lame.
    If, during a battle, the one you were currently fighting pulled a pebble out of his pocket and chucked it at you, would you be constantly watching out for that stone even after you avoided it in case it could, you know, actually be a Magic Stone of Horrible Death +5? Or would you simply continue to concentrate on eliminating the person actually attacking you, writing off the stone-throwing as being because the guy liked throwing stones at opponents (which is an actual thing in D&D - there's even an arcane spell in the SRD to enhance throwing stones)?

And this is not an anticlimax. The gun was taken off its place over the mantelpiece several strips ago - it was just fired in this strip.
    Last edited by Emperordaniel; 2012-09-17 at 11:09 AM.

Member of the Phyrnglsnyx Pronunciation Pact

PHYRNGLSNYX
    Fear-en-gil-sniks

[fyːrŋlˌsnɪks]

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Current avatar by Cuthalion. Thanks a lot!