New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!

Quote Originally Posted by EsperDerek View Post
    Y'know, even if he didn't recognize it for what it was, wouldn't he of at least known that, since it was something that a guy trying to kill him threw at him, he should keep an eye out for it and stay away from it? I mean, if a guy's trying to kill you, and he throws something at you, it can't be anything good.

But, yeah, another good old Thunt anti-climax. Huzzah. And by huzzah, I mean lame.
    As far as I can tell, it landed a few inches behind an overturned burning lamp thingy. There was no way he could have seen it, even if he was looking for it.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

2. - Top - End - #872
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Good criticism is constructive. It's something that could potentially lead somewhere useful. Saying you don't like the characters and giving reason why is perfectly valid criticism. Suggesting that the best thing that could happen next is death from above with meteors... Not so much.
    And this is criticism... why again? I'm discussing the comic in a social setting, talking to other people reading the same comic as I am. If I was walking right up to Thunt and telling him to "nuke it for orbit" then yes, it'd be an unneccessary jerk-move. As it is? Far from it. It's simple hyperbole. And even then, if I were to actually speak to Thunt and give criticism, it would only be adding the "whys" of the nukeage, because I really do not like the Vipers subplot, which is perfectly fair and it is fully within my prerogative to express that sentiment as a reader of the comic.

3. - Top - End - #873
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Emperordaniel View Post
    If, during a battle, the one you were currently fighting pulled a pebble out of his pocket and chucked it at you, would you be constantly watching out for that stone even after you avoided it in case it could, you know, actually be a Magic Stone of Horrible Death +5? Or would you simply continue to concentrate on eliminating the person actually attacking you, writing off the stone-throwing as being because the guy liked throwing stones at opponents (which is an actual thing in D&D - there's even an arcane spell in the SRD to enhance throwing stones)?

And this is not an anticlimax. The gun was taken off its place over the mantelpiece several strips ago - it was just fired in this strip.
    Dude, it's D&D. Your hypothetical question would be better as- what if anguy threw a metal device at you that looked sort of like a claymore mine or a hand grenade. Would you stand on it?

4. - Top - End - #874
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Good criticism is constructive. It's something that could potentially lead somewhere useful. Saying you don't like the characters and giving reason why is perfectly valid criticism. Suggesting that the best thing that could happen next is death from above with meteors... Not so much.
    To be fair though, if a meteor did strike and kill everyone at the site it would be quite the unexpected twist(and I'd think it was kind of funny.)
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

5. - Top - End - #875
    Titan in the Playground

It would also be a Diablos Ex Machina.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #876
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spuddles View Post
    Dude, it's D&D. Your hypothetical question would be better as- what if anguy threw a metal device at you that looked sort of like a claymore mine or a hand grenade. Would you stand on it?
    Famous Last Words #228]"But the directions SAID to `pull pin and throw' !" [From a beautifully role-played Traveler character from a non- technological world. He was given a scout ship survival pack, which among other gimcracks, contained concussion grenades. When he got in trouble, of course, he pulled the pin out of one and threw it ("it" being the pin, naturally)...]
    Not to pick too fine a nit, but if your D&D environment contains no devices remotely similar to claymore mines or hand grenades with which your character could have experience, you have no legitimate reason to expressly avoid standing on one beyond meta-playing.
    ChowGuy - The LaChoy Dragon - Servant of the Tiger and disciple of the Wanderer
    The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum.

7. - Top - End - #877
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ChowGuy View Post
    Not to pick too fine a nit, but if your D&D environment contains no devices remotely similar to claymore mines or hand grenades with which your character could have experience, you have no legitimate reason to expressly avoid standing on one beyond meta-playing.
    Not necessarily - even if you don't have mines or grenades, it doesn't take a genius to connect (guy trying to kill me + thing he threw at me = thing can probably kill me, avoid it). Knowing how or why it's dangerous isn't required to make the assumption that you should avoid it.

8. - Top - End - #878

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Not necessarily - even if you don't have mines or grenades, it doesn't take a genius to connect (guy trying to kill me + thing he threw at me = thing can probably kill me, avoid it). Knowing how or why it's dangerous isn't required to make the assumption that you should avoid it.
    Sure, and if I were a 600 year old medieval orc and someone threw a 2 or three pound metal object (as per Spuddles description) that's a recognizable danger and I'd instinctively do my best to dodge or defect it, just as Biscuit does. (cf "Why does Superman Duck a thrown Revolver**) I should not however assume that having done so it will then explode if I came near it, never having seen anything do that before.

(**) tl;dr - The "fanon" explaination is that he does to portray his instinctive "human" side, despite Superman not being human. Which almost qualifies as "Truth in Television" since the totally human stunt double actually did reactive instinctively in a way the Man of Steel shouldn't have, but because of the tight budget the director elected not to shoot a re-take.
    Last edited by ChowGuy; 2012-09-17 at 09:19 PM.
    The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum.

9. - Top - End - #879
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    And we keep forgetting that Biscuit accidentally stepped on the thing because it is little and difficult to see, especially when everything is on fire.

10. - Top - End - #880

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    And we keep forgetting that Biscuit accidentally stepped on the thing because it is little and difficult to see, especially when everything is on fire.
    Yeah, and it's not like, having waded through a couple dozen other generic white goblins, he'd take time to carefully study the object and decide that the wee sharp thing being thrown at him by this particular goblin wasn't something more sensible, like a shuriken say.

11. - Top - End - #881

Daemon

So there's an update and umm... what happened?

12. - Top - End - #882
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cen View Post
    Mother <expletive redacted/> teleportation is what happened.
    The only other explanation is the Prince ran around Biscuit and jumped on his back without Biscuit reacting.
    Because that would be ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

13. - Top - End - #883
    Orc in the Playground

It looks like
    Spoiler
    Show
    Grem used Biscuit's moment of distraction to jump on his back, grab the dagger that was still stuck in his neck, and stab him with it a few times. When Biscuit threw him off, he managed to snag a healing potion out of the bag. Biscuit then falls over because of his melting leg, either because he overbalanced while reaching for the dropped potion bag, or because he's at 0 hp and disabled, perhaps.

14. - Top - End - #884
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cen View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Grem's dagger was still in Biscut's shoulder, so while Biscut was distracted with his leg, Grem jumped onto his back, grabbed the dagger, and started repeatedly stabbing Biscut again, Biscut throws Grem away again, But Grem was able to cut the sling of the health potion bag free, and drank a potion he was able to grab in order to recover. Biscut then fell over due to his leg slowly loosing strength, and surviving Viper archers saw their prince in danger and have begun assisting him.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #885
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Biscuit was close enough to Grem to smack him with the axe, right? In the few moments of "daf-q did I just step on," Grem managed to climb onto Biscuit, as seems to be a constant whenever goblins are fighting Medium or bigger foes.

16. - Top - End - #886

Daemon

Spoiler
    Show
    Ah okey, I didn't notice movement lines in 7th panel and didn't get why he was suddenly on the ground.Also for a moment I thought it was part of Grem sliced of in 4th panel

17. - Top - End - #887
    Barbarian in the Playground

Biscuit is going to get tetanus because he stepped on a nail?

18. - Top - End - #888
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    The only other explanation is the Prince ran around Biscuit and jumped on his back without Biscuit reacting.
    Why is that ridiculous? It wouldn't be the first time Biscuit has lost sight of him this fight. Grem is pretty fast, and there's a lot going on in their immediate vicinity. Plus there's the whole "Hmm, it appears my leg is rotting off. That's sort of inconvenient." moment that he had last update.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

19. - Top - End - #889
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    Yes, Grem is actually a Swordsage with the teleport Shadowhand maneuver.

20. - Top - End - #890
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    Yes, Grem is actually a Swordsage with the teleport Shadowhand maneuver.
    I think it has more to do with
    Spoiler
    Show
    Grem drinking a random potion then he does not appear at all in the next panels and it looks like (at least one interpretation of the orcs admittedly hard to read expressions) that Biscuit is then confused and looking for him.

Of course that doesn't mean teleportation, but I can see how that conclusion could have been reached.

Anyway, sorry Biscuit. Before you go, thank you for potentially stopping the BBEG from finishing her plans and conquering the world, and also thanks for nearly wiping out a tribe of xenophobic midgets.

21. - Top - End - #891
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Eh, I'm honestly expecting yet another turnabout or two before the fight's over.

22. - Top - End - #892
    Orc in the Playground

Hoping for a twist because seriously, this is a pretty lame resolution.

23. - Top - End - #893
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    Eh, I'm honestly expecting yet another turnabout or two before the fight's over.
    Hmm that reminds me, anyone know what happened to the switchbeast or whatever it's called?

24. - Top - End - #894
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    Why is that ridiculous? It wouldn't be the first time Biscuit has lost sight of him this fight. Grem is pretty fast, and there's a lot going on in their immediate vicinity. Plus there's the whole "Hmm, it appears my leg is rotting off. That's sort of inconvenient." moment that he had last update.
    Because it all happened 'behind the black'.
    He goes from cowering in front of Biscuit, to suddenly on his back.
    At least two extra panels are needed to show what happened, Grem running around or through Biscuit's legs, dodging a blow or dancing out of reach, and then jumping on his back.
    Otherwise, it just feels like like teleportation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

25. - Top - End - #895
    Dwarf in the Playground

If Grem was infront of biscuit last page, how does he suddenly jump to the back of his shoulders at the start of this page?

Also not liking how fast the finger seems to be working on poor biscuit.

26. - Top - End - #896
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityGrace View Post
    If Grem was infront of biscuit last page, how does he suddenly jump to the back of his shoulders at the start of this page?
    He circled around while biscut was distracted?
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #897
    Troll in the Playground

There were three panels where Biscuit was looking at his foot on the last page. That's plenty of time for Grem to be moving around, in my book.

I don't think it's the smoothest thing ever, but it doesn't bring me out of it or anything. I mean, it's supposed to be a surprise. Biscuit thinks he knows where Grem is, and all of a sudden he's on his back, to the surprise of both Biscuit and the audience.

I think part of the reason it looks weird is that this is happening on a new page -- it might come off better if this sequence all happened on the same page -- but Thunt has tended to just pay little heed to page breaks like that before. Part of the whole 'writing for book form' thing.
    Last edited by The Linker; 2012-09-18 at 09:37 PM.

28. - Top - End - #898

Biscuit's been separated from his Bag of Potions. This can't be good.

Member of the Phyrnglsnyx Pronunciation Pact

PHYRNGLSNYX
    Fear-en-gil-sniks

[fyːrŋlˌsnɪks]

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Current avatar by Cuthalion. Thanks a lot!

29. - Top - End - #899
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah... Pretty big fail on showing how the action happened in this one... It wasn't immediately clear how Grem got on his back... Even a single pannel showing him running/jumping would've been enough to get the point across better...

And the potion bag wasn't very clear either. In panel 3, you can see the strap being cut, but it's such a small detail and so easily overlooked that it makes the secne hard to follow. I think a small panel or inset showing Grem actually grabbing the potion would've done a world of good.

And is it just me, or is panel 7... well... The only word I can use to describe it is "derp". I just can't see that pose as someone falling. It just doesn't seem natural. The general assumption is his leg is gooping out on him, right? Seems like the other leg should be bending a bit under his weight or something... And maybe some more visual indication of the leg gooping... I dunno, I can't really place it, the panel just seems really off to me.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2012-09-19 at 12:35 AM.

30. - Top - End - #900
    Halfling in the Playground

I wasn't fond of Grem before this, but he's going way up in my esteem for slowing down the psycho orc. I kind of hope he survives and has to live as a crippled goblin slave.