Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
Results 931 to 960 of 1500
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!

    Quote Originally Posted by Elystan View Post
    So we should cheer on Biscuit for relentlessly slaughtering goblins who are just defending their tribe? Have we missed the entire premise of the comic?
    If the goblins were just defending their tribe I would be with you. But they most definitely are not. They're enslaving everything around them, and killing what won't be enslaved. When they're done with the slaves they feed them to monsters as they had just attempted to do to Biscuit for walking past them. I can't see how anyone can see the goblins are in the right here, they tried to have Biscuit killed twice just for breathing, and he successfully turned it around on them.

    The reason I don't like Biscuit is because he's incapable of understanding loss, and therefore of the pain he's causing. The stuff Grem's going to have to deal with even if he wins. Overcoming those feelings is one thing, not having them in the first place is quite another.
    There's a difference between disliking someone (I have no fondness for for Kin oddly enough) and wishing them to become a crippled slave (to verify I do not wish that Kin becomes a slave, again), when that someone is the one who is just defending himself, and also stopping a prophecy of global domination. And what choice did he have here exactly? He was lead to a dead end path to get eaten by a monster. Getting out of that, his options are wander around a forest probably filled with more monsters, or go back and get some revenge on some two-faced goblins. If I was as badass as Biscuit is I'd have made the same decision as him.

    Also, where do you get that he is incapable of understanding loss? All that's been said about him is that his orc tribe were trained to overcome loss incredibly fast, not that they didn't understand it in others. Also, I don't see how it follows that in order to get back at those who tried to kill you, feeling sorry for them is a prerequisite.

  2. - Top - End - #932
    Troll in the Playground
     
    The Linker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Almonte, ON, Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!

    Why is the coloring on this page fully complete, where the previous page is still mostly unfinished? I'm guessing Thunt forgot to upload it.

    Also, yeah, the notion that the goblins who just betrayed Biscuit because he existed are "just defending their tribe" boggles my mind. Unless you think that to be the act of just a small group of goblins acting outside the will of their leader, but I very much doubt that -- considering they did the exact same thing to all of their slaves.
    Last edited by The Linker; 2012-09-21 at 09:10 PM.

  3. - Top - End - #933
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Draconi Redfir's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Gobbotopia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!

    Well in a sense they are as they are trying to defeat a wild switchbeast and orc that are attacking them, the thing is that it's kind of their own fault for throwing the super-smart orc to the switchbeast rather then let him go.

    So yes, they ARE defending themselves right now, it's just their own fault and they likely deserved it.
    Elsee Spiriteye by Cofeee

    Normal Avy by Thormag

    Spoiler
    Show


    Some homebrew i need help with.Fin stuf
    Hear it, love it, live it.

  4. - Top - End - #934
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Emperordaniel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Sochi, Russia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!

    Don't die now, Fox.

    And for some reason, I've now got this image in my head of a giant dragonfly or something sitting on a throne and ruling over all the goblins.
    group hug!
    Hold person.
    ...

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    You forgot that the half-orc cleric who researched it is Redcloak's niece.
    Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show


    Awesome elf cleric avatar made by Kurien. Many thanks!

  5. - Top - End - #935
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!

    Because nothing says "ferocity" like strength penalties or a reduced size category. Except perhaps a lack of automatic weapon proficiencies or cultural weapons of any sort.

  6. - Top - End - #936
    Banned
     
    willpell's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!

    Quote Originally Posted by Elystan View Post
    The reason I don't like Biscuit is because he's incapable of understanding loss, and therefore of the pain he's causing. The stuff Grem's going to have to deal with even if he wins. Overcoming those feelings is one thing, not having them in the first place is quite another.
    Who's to say that he doesn't feel them? Maybe he overcomes them in a split-second because his tribe practiced rote grieving and got it down to a computer-like level of automation; he goes through the entire 12-step coping process in less time than it takes to shed a single tear. But you do still have a point that this means he can't really empathize with people who are completely unable to overcome their tragedy, those who are broken and traumatized forever because of what they've lost. However, ultimately that's a problem you can't get away from. Any degree of competency imposes a level of separation between the person who has it and the person who can't; it's impossible for us all to fully understand each other, when some of us are just better or worse than others in various measurable ways.

  7. - Top - End - #937
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Draconi Redfir's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Gobbotopia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!

    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Who's to say that he doesn't feel them? Maybe he overcomes them in a split-second because his tribe practiced rote grieving and got it down to a computer-like level of automation; he goes through the entire 12-step coping process in less time than it takes to shed a single tear. But you do still have a point that this means he can't really empathize with people who are completely unable to overcome their tragedy, those who are broken and traumatized forever because of what they've lost. However, ultimately that's a problem you can't get away from. Any degree of competency imposes a level of separation between the person who has it and the person who can't; it's impossible for us all to fully understand each other, when some of us are just better or worse than others in various measurable ways.
    According to His own words he is either able to just accept loss no problem, or is completely immune to feeling it, hard to tell.
    Elsee Spiriteye by Cofeee

    Normal Avy by Thormag

    Spoiler
    Show


    Some homebrew i need help with.Fin stuf
    Hear it, love it, live it.

  8. - Top - End - #938
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Poil's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!

    Yes yes yes! Finish her!

    Oh, who am I kidding fox is just going to bring her staff up and parry Duv's stab and do a "No!", knock Duv back and make some stupid speech on how wrong Duv is before winning or something along those lines. I hope to be proven wrong.
    Last edited by Poil; 2012-09-22 at 04:07 AM.
    Awesome avatar by RustMonster

    Constipated Lizard Slayer

  9. - Top - End - #939
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Traab's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    right behind you

    Default Re: Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!

    So, I wonder what magical enchantments are on saves a fox's shirt. I mean, she is constantly being tossed around in a way that clearly should cause that thing to fly up over her face, and yet her boobs are never exposed, just almost. A lot. +2 to near flash? An Anko effect? Some sort of protection against disarming that got applied to a shirt by accident?
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

  10. - Top - End - #940
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Herpestidae's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    By the sword
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!

    Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    So, I wonder what magical enchantments are on saves a fox's shirt. I mean, she is constantly being tossed around in a way that clearly should cause that thing to fly up over her face, and yet her boobs are never exposed, just almost. A lot. +2 to near flash? An Anko effect? Some sort of protection against disarming that got applied to a shirt by accident?
    It's a Censorship spell cast by Thunt.

    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.

    Recruiting for M&M 3E Avatar: The Last Airbender AU game

  11. - Top - End - #941
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2009

    Default Re: Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!

    Come on Saves! Beat that <explitive deleted>. Or at least make it out in one piece. New colorist is doing great work and really adds to the strip.

  12. - Top - End - #942
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Sholos's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Charlottesville
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!

    Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    It's a Censorship spell cast by Thunt.
    After all, he'd like to keep it to a PG-13 rating.
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

    Save the catgirls!

  13. - Top - End - #943
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Starbuck_II's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Enterprise, Alabama
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!

    Quote Originally Posted by TrinityGrace View Post
    If he fell on dove, it would be awesome. Then fox could give him the blood orb and he could get his leg back.
    She is stabbing with a staff...that doesn't kill unless you go through an eye. She might be unconscious, but Fox shouldn't be dead.

  14. - Top - End - #944
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Herpestidae's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    By the sword
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!

    Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    She is stabbing with a staff...that doesn't kill unless you go through an eye. She might be unconscious, but Fox shouldn't be dead.
    Actually, just because something is blunt doesn't mean it can't break the skin. You'd just need a lot of force to do so.

    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.

    Recruiting for M&M 3E Avatar: The Last Airbender AU game

  15. - Top - End - #945
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    TheSummoner's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!

    Oh, I doubt she's dead since it just doesn't seem to fit storywise for her to have died from that, but there's plenty of ways that could've killed her. Snapped her neck. Smashed a bit of her skull and jammed shattered bone into her brain. Etc etc. Something doesn't have to break the skin to be fatal.
    Quick link for Forum Emblem Rules

    Megaman 9: Mr. Perfect Challenge
    I DID IT!!! I FINALLY DID IT!!!


    Megaman 10: Mr. Perfect Challenge
    I DID... Ya know what? It's not nearly as hard as 9 was...

  16. - Top - End - #946
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Marnath's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Argonth
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!

    Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    She is stabbing with a staff...that doesn't kill unless you go through an eye. She might be unconscious, but Fox shouldn't be dead.
    I think you're underestimating how much damage a blow like that to the head can do.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

    Avatar by Hacktor

  17. - Top - End - #947
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Squark's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!

    Yeah, it looks like the blow hit Fox square in the chin- That's got to have her seeing stars.

  18. - Top - End - #948
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Herpestidae's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    By the sword
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!

    Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    Yeah, it looks like the blow hit Fox square in the chin- That's got to have her seeing stars.
    Judging from Duv's pose in the previous panel, it's more likely to have been an "uppercut," to the chin, but it could also have been a forehead shot.

    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.

    Recruiting for M&M 3E Avatar: The Last Airbender AU game

  19. - Top - End - #949
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Starbuck_II's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Enterprise, Alabama
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!

    Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    I think you're underestimating how much damage a blow like that to the head can do.
    Yeah, but this is D&D as well, depending on Thunt's rules.

  20. - Top - End - #950
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Lord_Gareth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007

    Default Re: Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!

    Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    I think you're underestimating how much damage a blow like that to the head can do.
    And I believe that you may be forgetting that Thunt uses D&D rules whenever it's convenient for him, causing wild inconsistency.


    Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

  21. - Top - End - #951
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Killer Angel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Northern Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!

    Tell what you want, Duv... without your massive number advantage, your clan would have been wiped away some time ago.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)


    Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books

    Avatar removed, work in progress...

  22. - Top - End - #952
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    TrinityGrace's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    MI
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!

    Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    Tell what you want, Duv... without your massive number advantage, your clan would have been wiped away some time ago.
    I think it is apparent that the vipers are pretty good in combat, better than your average goblin easily. Their problem is they take slaves and have an outlook like klingons.

  23. - Top - End - #953
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Coidzor's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ruined Racetrack
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!

    Inflexibility and living by dogma are a great way to eliminate your advantages, after all.

    ...Weird. The site navigation buttons seem to have disappeared.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2012-09-23 at 05:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

  24. - Top - End - #954
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!

    Changing a bit subjects, I don't know if anyone have complained of that before, but I find Thunt's fight scenes very painful to read. The positions, movements and so on feel wrong to me, and he tries to include as much detail as he can, making long and a somewhat decompressed fight scenes. It's a bit hard to explain I guess.
    My avatar used to be a W.S.D. (Weapon of Sanity Destruction)
    "I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."
    Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    After reading the Dominic Deagen forum threads, can you really accuse me of bashing? Read it again. That is the kind of thing that is pure venom. They don't even take it seriously anymore. It's just done for fun.

  25. - Top - End - #955
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Herpestidae's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    By the sword
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!

    Fox/Duv is probably one of the first Thunt Fight scenes I was able to parse at first glance. Mainly because in retrospect, it's one of the simplest.

    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.

    Recruiting for M&M 3E Avatar: The Last Airbender AU game

  26. - Top - End - #956
    Troll in the Playground
     
    The Linker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Almonte, ON, Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!

    Well, the battle with the rookie guards is one of my favorite scenes in the whole webcomic. I don't know. I like all the detail, personally.


    On another note, re-reading the last comic, I'm surprised no-one's remarked on the possibility that Klik will suddenly save Saves by, say, gutting Duv. Maybe this will be Klik's final hoorah; he would have died after killing that tiny Drow guy if there hadn't been a convenient pile of armor right next to where Dies dragged him for him to crawl over to. If he starts cutting into Duv -- well, she won't go down as easy as the drow did, for one thing, so I'm imagining more stabbing will be required. He'd have to hope Saves' shoulderpads would suffice. And maybe that thing around Duv's waist.

    I mean, if Duv kills Saves and Klik just sits there doing his staff thing, that's just going to be lame.

  27. - Top - End - #957
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Emperordaniel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Sochi, Russia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!

    Quote Originally Posted by The Linker View Post
    On another note, re-reading the last comic, I'm surprised no-one's remarked on the possibility that Klik will suddenly save Saves by, say, gutting Duv. Maybe this will be Klik's final hoorah; he would have died after killing that tiny Drow guy if there hadn't been a convenient pile of armor right next to where Dies dragged him for him to crawl over to. If he starts cutting into Duv -- well, she won't go down as easy as the drow did, for one thing, so I'm imagining more stabbing will be required. He'd have to hope Saves' shoulderpads would suffice. And maybe that thing around Duv's waist.
    That could actually be what drives Junior over the edge with regards to killing Saves - after all, he very well may think of Klik as his "father", and if Klik dies in this fight while Saves was using him as a weapon, Junior may consider her to be directly responsible for the death of his "father".
    group hug!
    Hold person.
    ...

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    You forgot that the half-orc cleric who researched it is Redcloak's niece.
    Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show


    Awesome elf cleric avatar made by Kurien. Many thanks!

  28. - Top - End - #958
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Killer Angel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Northern Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!

    Quote Originally Posted by TrinityGrace View Post
    I think it is apparent that the vipers are pretty good in combat, better than your average goblin easily.
    I concede they can be better than the average goblin. They used some good tactics and the ability to set some nasty traps agains invaders.
    But, when taken (relatively) by surprise, they use the "try to swarm the enemy" style, with very poor results... and apparently, their only good fighter is Grem.
    And when your typical reaction to almost anything is "we're the Viper Clan, you'll die", you're certainly aggressive... the dumb type.
    Last edited by Killer Angel; 2012-09-24 at 04:47 AM.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)


    Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books

    Avatar removed, work in progress...

  29. - Top - End - #959
    Banned
     
    willpell's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!

    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    ...Weird. The site navigation buttons seem to have disappeared.
    If they did, they're back now.

  30. - Top - End - #960
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!

    Quote Originally Posted by Felius View Post
    Changing a bit subjects, I don't know if anyone have complained of that before, but I find Thunt's fight scenes very painful to read. The positions, movements and so on feel wrong to me, and he tries to include as much detail as he can, making long and a somewhat decompressed fight scenes. It's a bit hard to explain I guess.
    Sort of, agree sort of disagree. When waiting for updates and we get a few weeks at a time with little dialogue and only some action I get a little bored.

    However, I have the tendency to go back and flip through webcomics I've already read, and on rereading them the fights grow on me. They look incredible, and while a few details here and there can get lost on a whole I think Thunt does a better job than some actual comic book artists on keeping the scale of combat consistent and with a steady progression.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •