New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 223738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1500
  1. - Top - End - #1381
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    Maybe Dies soul split in two and Kills got all the evil, mean and sadistic goblin stuff and Dies is left with the wussy, whiny parts?
    So...no change at all, then?

2. - Top - End - #1382
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    I would go with this except that Dies never seems to have HAD any evil mean sadistic parts. He has been all but scared of his own shadow since the very start. And he does have some real guts. I mean he hacked off his own arm to stop Kills from murdering Saves. He can be very brave, but he just does not seem to be able to be brave for himself.
    Good people can still have bad sides, just because they dont show it doesnt mean it doesn't exist. and he IS a goblin, a species that is naturally inclined towards evil i beleive.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #1383
    Orc in the Playground

I think it's just that Junior was created as a blank slate, but his circumstances turned him into a horrible monster. Nobody realized for ages that he had a mind of his own. And what was he used as during all that time? A weapon. That plus the fact that he happens to be sustained by blood... yeah, I'm not surprised he turned out this way.

4. - Top - End - #1384
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    My guess is that the concept of every Klikkian having a "positive" and a "negative" implies magnetic polarity, and that it also applies to their alignments. In this case, two wrongs literally do make a right - while two rights make a wrong. So it's just too bad that Kills is Dies' left, or "sinister" hand.

(Then again, it could conceivably have something to do with Dies having only ever used his hand to murder things that were trying to murder him; one can imagine Kills has had rather a traumatic upbringing, and anyone with that traumatic a childhood is likely to turn out rather warped.)
    Well right after getting him, he tried to make a flower. It turned spiky too, and he hadn't murdered anyone yet.

5. - Top - End - #1385
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by turbo164 View Post
    Well right after getting him, he tried to make a flower. It turned spiky too, and he hadn't murdered anyone yet.
    It turned spiky after dies became alarmed, so in principle perhaps still reacting to "protect and defend" Dies. OTOH, it showed it's spiky nature as a weapon even before that, which is why Dies tried to make something less frightening. Let's don't forget that Klik introduced himself to Dies by forming a sword and skewering the fat Drow either. There was violence in Kilk's(*) genesis.

(*)Because I like that better then "Kills" - it underscores his newly expressed nature as an "anti-Klik."
    ChowGuy - The LaChoy Dragon - Servant of the Tiger and disciple of the Wanderer
    The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum.

6. - Top - End - #1386
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    Good people can still have bad sides, just because they dont show it doesnt mean it doesn't exist. and he IS a goblin, a species that is naturally inclined towards evil i beleive.
    Yes that's pretty much where I was going with this.

However I do know that the entire premise of the comic is that goblins and all the "monster races" aren't necessarily evil. The entire GAP is non-evil (Ears called out he's a LG paladin in one strip, he'd fall for associating with evil) for example.

However that does not mean the potential is not there. And most people have darker sides, they usually just keep them in check by reason and rationale.
    At the beginning before Klik, Dies was too scared to do anything. That could actually mean that he had developed a very dark side in response to all that in his mind at least, he just never got to act on it. And when he got the hand his subconscious used that hand to strike out when he was threatened, using said darker side of him.

But that's all speculation.
    It could just be that this is how those creations always end up. After all Klik said that this practice is strictly forbidden by his race under all circumstances. Maybe they had this problem with those evil clones before.
    Last edited by Morquard; 2012-10-27 at 10:51 PM.

7. - Top - End - #1387

It could just be that this is how those creations always end up. After all Klik said that this practice is strictly forbidden by his race under all circumstances. Maybe they had this problem with those evil clones before.
    The problem is that Kilk is not a clone, ie a copy of Klik's soul. That's the normal way they reproduce, because their kind "can't create new souls." The forbidden version is a "shared soul" and Dies notes that he knows this because he now shares his soul. But as noted elsewhere that conflicts with the demoness detecting two separate souls. I suspect this is a result of an attempt gone wrong, or that Kilk is what might be in some mythologies a "soulless abomination" (which is normally considered evil by nature) but otherwise I agree, the likelyhood of such a mishap probably is why it's forbidden.
    Last edited by ChowGuy; 2012-10-27 at 11:06 PM.
    The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum.

8. - Top - End - #1388
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I should have put "evil clone" in quotes. I was basically referring to whatever "thing" Kills is, as I don't think he's a true member of Klik's species. Something similar and related, obviously. But not completely.

And I'm not searching for the comic now, but I'm fairly certain Dies knows that because Klik "tells" him mentally when he does this operation. It's quite possible that Klik is misinformed about it. He knows its a taboo in his culture, and maybe even the elders don't know the exact details anymore, as they have gotten lost over the ages. Or the elders know but decide not to tell the younger "Kliks" the whole truth about this. Or they just don't think the details are important, as long as they get the "Don't do it" message.

"Shared soul" doesn't mean Klik and Dies share their souls now, it meant the Hand and Dies just have a single soul (Dies' soul), but kinda two bodies, aka sharing one soul. Obviously that was wrong, at least it went wrong at some point.
    Last edited by Morquard; 2012-10-28 at 12:17 AM.

9. - Top - End - #1389

IAnd I'm not searching for the comic now, but I'm fairly certain Dies knows that because Klik "tells" him mentally when he does this operation.
    possibly a matter of interpretation, but I don't recall Klik ever communicating with him any where else, and Dies specifically says "there's a weird sort of connection growing because of it." It referring to either the new arm, or the giving of it is hard to say, but either way in his "dream" he senses Klik's world as if he remembers it, or at least a part of him does.

"Shared soul" doesn't mean Klik and Dies share their souls now, it meant the Hand and Dies just have a single soul (Dies' soul), but kinda two bodies, aka sharing one soul. Obviously that was wrong, at least it went wrong at some point.
    Agreed. A part of Klik became a part of Dies+, but that part was separated from Klik in doing so. That's why I think memories were copied, not told, and as you say perhaps imperfectly.
    Last edited by ChowGuy; 2012-10-28 at 01:55 AM.

10. - Top - End - #1390
    Pixie in the Playground

Tuesday's page's color has been updated.

11. - Top - End - #1391
    Troll in the Playground

Hooray! The shiny metal things are actually shiny now!

12. - Top - End - #1392
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Linker View Post
    Hooray! The shiny metal things are actually shiny now!
    Reminds me of my days playing with the surface property sliders in 3D modeling.

13. - Top - End - #1393
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ChowGuy View Post
    possibly a matter of interpretation, but I don't recall Klik ever communicating with him any where else, and Dies specifically says "there's a weird sort of connection growing because of it." It referring to either the new arm, or the giving of it is hard to say, but either way in his "dream" he senses Klik's world as if he remembers it, or at least a part of him does.

Agreed. A part of Klik became a part of Dies+, but that part was separated from Klik in doing so. That's why I think memories were copied, not told, and as you say perhaps imperfectly.
    You're right, it wouldn't seem like deliberate communications, more involuntary memory sharing or so.

However I don't think the process imparted some kind of universal knowledge on Dies, instead it gave him what Klik knew about this process. And that knowledge could have been flawed, for different reasons as I said above.

I mean, if this process worked how Klik thought/Dies saw it, then why is it forbidden by penalty of death? It seems like a useful and nice thing, that could polish up the reputation of Klik's species by a lot. So there has to be some severe sideeffect to it, doesn't it?

14. - Top - End - #1394

Update !
    Spoiler
    Show
    Biscuit rescues Duv
    and helps her with her wing
    -HaJo

FLW: Oh, no. We're being rescued. How embarrassing!

15. - Top - End - #1395
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Harsh harsh leason.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't think Duv can be saved at this point. She wants to be a monster.

16. - Top - End - #1396
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, my…
    K’seliss was a badass, but Biscuit is gorgeous.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

17. - Top - End - #1397

AssassinGuy

outch

Spoiler
    Show
    note to self: when at the mercy of an Orc, don't threaten him with killing thousands of his kind.
    weak and insane indeed

so now 4 limbs need replacing

plus one blue orb of bloodlight needs to be thrown at one green orb of fangs.
    unless someone picks up that Checkows Gun at the entrance to the dungeon.
    * my emphasis

http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

18. - Top - End - #1398
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Agi Hammerthief View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    note to self: when at the mercy of an Orc, don't threaten him with killing thousands of his kind.
    weak and insane indeed
    Eh, it is Biscuit the one with very high wisdom...
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

19. - Top - End - #1399
    Colossus in the Playground

Wow, Duv will now be leaping headfirst into total batspit insanity. And I really cant wait to see what happens with that damn orb! Im worried, I know the big death will involve dies, saves, klik or kills, but I cant be sure who it will be. Im picturing a huge confused mess. Saves tries to protect dies, while kills goes even more nuts upon seeing the "bitch" klik tries to protect them all, and dies? Who knows, maybe he will find his courage and take a green spike to the face to protect saves. Huge mess all around and it could go in either way.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

20. - Top - End - #1400

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    Eh, it is Biscuit the one with very high wisdom...
    Removing the head would have been my choice: universal cure for insanity, also less cruel.
    For someone who alledgedly feels no loss, Biscuit is pretty good at finding other reasons to deal out revenge.
    Last edited by Agi Hammerthief; 2012-10-31 at 07:58 AM.
    * my emphasis

21. - Top - End - #1401
    Banned

Something I never noticed before: I've said before that Thunt's originals have a certain je ne sais quois that is missing from Morikahn's redo's, but today I went back and saw what he's done with Biscuit a few strips ago, and I have to say this: entirely apart from aesthetics, the reshaded version is much better at conveying Biscuit's facial expression. You can actually see his lips, while also seeing through them, whereas Thunt's version you have to really look to spot a closed mouth in front of visible teeth. I find myself wondering if Biscuit is ultimately a big part of the reason Thunt hired Morikhan - he realized that the orc was difficult to see properly in a flat-color comic, and set about getting a shader especially for that purpose among others.

Random thought on the impending death: It'd be neat for Dies Horribly to die (again), and with his last breath say "Well...that wasn't too horrible..."

22. - Top - End - #1402
    Titan in the Playground

Biscuit, finish her off now while you have the chance or I'm thinking you're really going to regret not having done so later.

23. - Top - End - #1403
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Agi Hammerthief View Post
    Removing the head would have been my choice: universal cure for insanity, also less cruel.
    For someone who alledgedly feels no loss, Biscuit is pretty good at finding other reasons to deal out revenge.
    If Biscuit had been looking for revenge he would have done it when he first found her. Or would have just let her die. He really thinks he helping her.

24. - Top - End - #1404
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Okay, doing that to her was badass, but why would he "help" her and not kill her? He just killed countless goblins that just followed her orders but he spares the person that ordered to kill Biscuit in the first place? A sadistic villain might do that to his enemy to see him in agony, but the orc with the highest wisdom of the realm?

The only reason to spare her that I can come up with is that she is still needed for ome prophecies to fulfill. She might have an end like Gollum.

25. - Top - End - #1405
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe because she wasn't in a position to be any threat to him and he believes in redemption over death? I doubt it will work, but points for trying I suppose.

26. - Top - End - #1406
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, that wasn an unexpected throw of the dice and there's rather a lot of wisdom in what Biscuit is doing. Duv will either get some sense knocked into her at last or she'll go completely loopy. Especially if the Orb of Bloodlight can only restore *one* missing limb....

27. - Top - End - #1407
    Titan in the Playground

For what it's worth, I stand by my theory that the greenmetal arm is going to become her new wing... Only now it'll have to be both wings.

If the thing can stretch itself out and grow by absorbing goblin blood, I see no reason it can't grow large enough for two wings.

Also, where is this "The orb only works once" theory coming from? Was there anything hinting that in-story or is it just a crazy theory?

28. - Top - End - #1408

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Also, where is this "The orb only works once" theory coming from? Was there anything hinting that in-story or is it just a crazy theory?
    crazy theory.

It's irrelevant what the orb really does till the second person gets a go with it.

Untill then, for the protagonists, it is safer to assume the usage is limited and try as hard as possible to get to use it first.
    * my emphasis

29. - Top - End - #1409
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zombie

He should go back to what he is good at - 8-week long battle scenes with limbs flying, enough blood to fill a small lake, and perhaps occasional "Ughhh" or "Grrrrr" or something equally witty to break the monotony. Or maybe hire a dialog writer.

30. - Top - End - #1410
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Puschkin View Post
    Okay, doing that to her was badass, but why would he "help" her and not kill her?
    She asked him a question instead of attacking him. Had she done the latter even in her incapacitated state, he would have just snapped her in half and went on.