Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2338394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 1500
  1. - Top - End - #1411
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Lost Demiurge's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008

    Default Re: Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!

    Quote Originally Posted by Puschkin View Post
    Okay, doing that to her was badass, but why would he "help" her and not kill her? He just killed countless goblins that just followed her orders but he spares the person that ordered to kill Biscuit in the first place? A sadistic villain might do that to his enemy to see him in agony, but the orc with the highest wisdom of the realm?

    The only reason to spare her that I can come up with is that she is still needed for ome prophecies to fulfill. She might have an end like Gollum.
    He spared her because it is a VERY sunny day.
    Awesome avatar by Kpenguin. ALL HAIL DOCTOR DIRE!


  2. - Top - End - #1412
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ravens_cry's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008

    Default Re: Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!

    How casually he did that seems . . .improbable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

  3. - Top - End - #1413
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Marnath's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Argonth
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!

    Quote Originally Posted by fwiffo View Post
    He should go back to what he is good at - 8-week long battle scenes with limbs flying, enough blood to fill a small lake, and perhaps occasional "Ughhh" or "Grrrrr" or something equally witty to break the monotony. Or maybe hire a dialog writer.
    If you're going to be like that, why even read it?
    I think he's a good writer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    How casually he did that seems . . .improbable.
    Why? She fits in his hand, it shouldn't be that hard to pull her wing off with a strength score like his. Doesn't take much to rip a chicken wing off for a person of normal strength. Not that I know that from personal experience or something. That would be terrible.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

    Avatar by Hacktor

  4. - Top - End - #1414
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ravens_cry's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008

    Default Re: Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!

    Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post

    Why? She fits in his hand, it shouldn't be that hard to pull her wing off with a strength score like his. Doesn't take much to rip a chicken wing off for a person of normal strength. Not that I know that from personal experience or something. That would be terrible.
    That wing is magnitudes larger than a chicken wing. It's closer to ripping off a human arm, if not harder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

  5. - Top - End - #1415
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Imp

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!

    I just gained a giant man-crush on that orc.
    Yar! I'm a signature virus, copy me into your signature!

  6. - Top - End - #1416
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Marnath's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Argonth
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    That wing is magnitudes larger than a chicken wing. It's closer to ripping off a human arm, if not harder.
    A really young human maybe. Duv is less than a meter tall, remember? Meanwhile Biscuit is basically a silver-back gorilla that can stand upright. He's a lot more powerful than an average human. Probably more than an exceptional human, when you add in +4 from racial adjustment and +8 from large size.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

    Avatar by Hacktor

  7. - Top - End - #1417
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Herpestidae's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    By the sword
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!

    Also, wings tend to be rather light in comparison to the rest of the creature, otherwise they wouldn't be viable for flight.

    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.

    Recruiting for M&M 3E Avatar: The Last Airbender AU game

  8. - Top - End - #1418
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ravens_cry's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008

    Default Re: Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!

    Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    A really young human maybe. Duv is less than a meter tall, remember? Meanwhile Biscuit is basically a silver-back gorilla that can stand upright. He's a lot more powerful than an average human. Probably more than an exceptional human, when you add in +4 from racial adjustment and +8 from large size.
    There is no reason to think that. Yes, he's strong, likely at or stronger than peak human, if orc stats bear out, but that strong? Also, while skinny, a wing is subject to extreme forces in use, the actual muscles for flight power being in the shoulders. Ripping one out is NOT like ripping out a child's arm. Chickens don't fly much, so the comparison is less than apt. It would be more like ripping out a trumpeter swan wing, as that's about the weight of creature we are dealing with here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

  9. - Top - End - #1419
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Draconi Redfir's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Gobbotopia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!

    Wasn't Duv's other wing burned/torn off at a young age? It would stand to reason she hasn't gotten much flying practice in since then without it. The Muscles might actually be fairly weak and flabby.
    Elsee Spiriteye by Cofeee

    Normal Avy by Thormag

    Spoiler
    Show


  10. - Top - End - #1420
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mordokai's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007

    Default Re: Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    There is no reason to think that. Yes, he's strong, likely at or stronger than peak human, if orc stats bear out, but that strong? Also, while skinny, a wing is subject to extreme forces in use, the actual muscles for flight power being in the shoulders. Ripping one out is NOT like ripping out a child's arm. Chickens don't fly much, so the comparison is less than apt. It would be more like ripping out a trumpeter swan wing, as that's about the weight of creature we are dealing with here.
    Rule of Cool/Badass
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

    Liara is to Mass Effect as Thrall is to Warcraft.

  11. - Top - End - #1421
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ravens_cry's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008

    Default Re: Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mordokai View Post
    I don't hate those rules, they have their place, but they shouldn't be the only rule.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

  12. - Top - End - #1422
    Orc in the Playground
     
    PirateCaptain

    Join Date
    May 2007

    Default Re: Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!

    Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    A really young human maybe. Duv is less than a meter tall, remember? Meanwhile Biscuit is basically a silver-back gorilla that can stand upright. He's a lot more powerful than an average human. Probably more than an exceptional human, when you add in +4 from racial adjustment and +8 from large size.
    I wouldn't be surprised if Kore isn't the only person in Thunt's universe that is stronger than Biscuit; if he could gain increases to his wisdom stat the entire time he was in the dungeon, why couldn't he have been increasing his other stats that time as well?

  13. - Top - End - #1423
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2007

    Default Re: Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    the actual muscles for flight power being in the shoulders chest.
    Fixed that for you. Of course what with Duv having two extra limbs, it's hard to say what her musculature is. Or her skeletal structure. Are (were) those wings even attached to anything? It couldn't have been to the the scapula where a bird's or bat's do, else she'd have been unable to use her arms.

    *sigh* Guess we have to fall back on the old standard for anything that makes no sense - "A wizard did it!" [Caution: link to That Wiki]
    ChowGuy - The LaChoy Dragon - Servant of the Tiger and disciple of the Wanderer
    The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum.

  14. - Top - End - #1424
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ravens_cry's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008

    Default Re: Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!

    Thank you for the correction. While sometimes that answer fits, this is a physical wing with no apparent magic behind them. Heck, given the small size of goblins, the wing size isn't even terribly off.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2012-10-31 at 05:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

  15. - Top - End - #1425
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Marnath's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Argonth
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    Thank you for the correction. While sometimes that answer fits, this is a physical wing with no apparent magic behind them. Heck, given the small size of goblins, the wing size isn't even terribly off.
    If anything, they're a little bigger than she would need. Turkeys weigh just under 30 pounds too and they can fly. Sort of. Her wings were much bigger.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

    Avatar by Hacktor

  16. - Top - End - #1426
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Agi Hammerthief's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    see homepage
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!

    Quote Originally Posted by fwiffo View Post
    ...
    Or maybe hire a dialog writer.
    oh no, please don't

    the dialogs as they are, seem pretty close to what goes on in RL.

    When I hear "dialoge writer" I think of someone who has read too much Shakespear and tries to live up to his idol.
    If you like fowery dialog, mebby you should read theatre scripts rather than a web comic.
    Last edited by Agi Hammerthief; 2012-10-31 at 05:54 PM.
    * my emphasis

    http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

    Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

  17. - Top - End - #1427
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!

    Quote Originally Posted by ChowGuy View Post
    Fixed that for you. Of course what with Duv having two extra limbs, it's hard to say what her musculature is. Or her skeletal structure. Are (were) those wings even attached to anything? It couldn't have been to the the scapula where a bird's or bat's do, else she'd have been unable to use her arms.

    *sigh* Guess we have to fall back on the old standard for anything that makes no sense - "A wizard did it!" [Caution: link to That Wiki]
    In any case, the narrative is, "Biscuit rips Duv's wing off with his free hand," which I don't have a problem with even if it would require more than what was depicted, such as first breaking/dislocating it backwards and then twisting and shearing it off.

    And I'm not expecting Duv to "let it go" either, heh.

  18. - Top - End - #1428
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ravens_cry's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008

    Default Re: Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!

    Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    If anything, they're a little bigger than she would need. Turkeys weigh just under 30 pounds too and they can fly. Sort of. Her wings were much bigger.
    Pretty much, especially the wild ones, though part of that weight is wings, while Goblins are in the mid tens of pounds without wings.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2012-10-31 at 06:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

  19. - Top - End - #1429
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Imp

    Join Date
    Apr 2012

    Default Re: Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    There is no reason to think that. Yes, he's strong, likely at or stronger than peak human, if orc stats bear out, but that strong? Also, while skinny, a wing is subject to extreme forces in use, the actual muscles for flight power being in the shoulders. Ripping one out is NOT like ripping out a child's arm. Chickens don't fly much, so the comparison is less than apt. It would be more like ripping out a trumpeter swan wing, as that's about the weight of creature we are dealing with here.
    With a starting stat of 16, biscuit has the strength score of an ape (D&D's carnivorous gorilla). If he is medium size, and duv is small, then it's the same size relationship between an ape and a human. Duv also probably has no more than 11 str, probably less, as she looks like a finesse build.

    In other words, yeah, entirely probable.

  20. - Top - End - #1430
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NEO|Phyte's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Eberron
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!

    Good thing nobody told Minmax that there's rules for disarming opponents in Herbert's game.
    Join IRC!
    Syrupdwellings
    I make avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.
    Avatar by me.

    ٩๏̯͡๏)۶

  21. - Top - End - #1431
    Troll in the Playground
     
    t209's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!

    GOod job, Biscuit.
    Spoiler
    Show
    You might have ended the prophecy of Evil goblin equivalent of Sanguinius (AKA Duv). I wonder if her would be royal guard will have jet packs.
    Pony Minecraft Avatar by Dirtytabs
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

  22. - Top - End - #1432
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Marnath's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Argonth
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!

    Quote Originally Posted by Spuddles View Post
    With a starting stat of 16, biscuit has the strength score of an ape (D&D's carnivorous gorilla). If he is medium size, and duv is small, then it's the same size relationship between an ape and a human. Duv also probably has no more than 11 str, probably less, as she looks like a finesse build.

    In other words, yeah, entirely probable.
    He's large actually, so add another +8 on top of that.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

    Avatar by Hacktor

  23. - Top - End - #1433
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!

    Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    He's large actually, so add another +8 on top of that.
    Being Large does not increase your Strength. Additionally, with the aging bonuses he already said he's gotten, his Strength should have been lower than normal since he's, y'know, old as hell.

  24. - Top - End - #1434
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!

    Pretty sure he's said something about his demon pact stopping the physical changes due to age.

  25. - Top - End - #1435
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Squark's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!

    I think spending those centuries as a demonic slave halted his aging for that period, so he only accured the mental bonuses, without the penalties. EDIT: Ninja'd.
    Last edited by Squark; 2012-10-31 at 09:42 PM.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark

    Currently Playing: Magic: The Gathering, Warhammer 40,000 (Space Wolves and Necrons), Borderlands 2, Bioshock 2, Star Wars: Tie Fighter

    Spoiler: Play-by-Post Links
    Show

  26. - Top - End - #1436
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!

    Quote Originally Posted by LadyGareth View Post
    Being Large does not increase your Strength.
    Had Biscuit been advanced through HD like a non-humanoid, increasing his size from Medium to Large with the increase in HD would have increased his Strength (along with other modifications). If one is making Large-sized Orcs, it's not unreasonable to have the change from Medium to Large have the same effects and to have the new Large Orcs be to Medium Orcs as other Large Critters are to Medium Critters.
    Last edited by BannedInSchool; 2012-10-31 at 09:43 PM.

  27. - Top - End - #1437
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Spathi Homeworld
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!

    Quote Originally Posted by Agi Hammerthief View Post
    oh no, please don't

    the dialogs as they are, seem pretty close to what goes on in RL.

    When I hear "dialoge writer" I think of someone who has read too much Shakespear and tries to live up to his idol.
    If you like fowery dialog, mebby you should read theatre scripts rather than a web comic.
    Reading OOTS would do. Even the worst written OOTS strip is far less cringe-worthy than what passes for dialog in this strip.

    The "sunny day" shtick, while not *all that* great in absolute terms, was still way better than usual fare, so I hoped there was some improvement. Guess not.

  28. - Top - End - #1438
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!

    I don't think this would be that difficult, honestly. Being two sizes larger than her, the size difference is similar to a human to a chicken (large to small vs. medium to tiny). And you can remove the head of a chicken, which is rather firmly attached. It might have taken more of a twisting motion, but this comic gets gory enough.

    I really enjoyed this strip myself!

  29. - Top - End - #1439
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Ravens_cry's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008

    Default Re: Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I don't think this would be that difficult, honestly. Being two sizes larger than her, the size difference is similar to a human to a chicken (large to small vs. medium to tiny). And you can remove the head of a chicken, which is rather firmly attached. It might have taken more of a twisting motion, but this comic gets gory enough.

    I really enjoyed this strip myself!
    Why does some of you assume he is large size category? Where is this coming from?
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

  30. - Top - End - #1440
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Strawberries's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    East Midlands, UK
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!

    Quote Originally Posted by fwiffo View Post
    The "sunny day" shtick, while not *all that* great in absolute terms, was still way better than usual fare, so I hoped there was some improvement. Guess not.
    Really? I personally thought that was one of the worst... oh well, different tastes, I guess.

    "Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •