New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 37 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12272829303132333435363738394041424344454647 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1473
  1. - Top - End - #1081
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] AMEN XLIV: Beware Falling Flowers

There's no use talking to Marciano in this state, not a word that will turn him away from this dangerous course of action. Seeing only one way he might get out of this alive, Magtok shakes his head, takes a step back, another step to the right, and then says two simple words, damning the foul little scumbag who got spittle all over his robes.

"Panthers? Kill."
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

2. - Top - End - #1082
    Ogre in the Playground

[Outside - Training]

"Because that's where I wanted them." Ilpholin says. There are good reasons, but frankly she's not going to go into them right this very moment.

"When you're done here, meet me in my office." Ilpholin gives a nod before turning to head back inside.

Roxanne is free to continue or discontinue the operation as she sees fit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

3. - Top - End - #1083

Marciano and Magtok
    The MechanoPanther opens its mouth and...
    Seemingly sprays a rotten egg smelling liquid at Marciano, likely soaking him as robots very rarely miss.
    Then a spout of flame comes out of the panther's mouth, most likely igniting the extremely flammable liquid that had most likely soaked Marciano.
    And probably burning him alive very, very slowly and very painfully.
    If the panther missed Marciano with the liquid in the first place, it'll just electrocute him using its tail.
    ((One does not simply run into AMEN and try to kill Magtok without dying themselves, and there's no other way this could have ended.))
    Mindfreak by...I don't quite know who
    Nexus Characters | Pokemon RPG Rules
    Busy with Life

4. - Top - End - #1084
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zefir View Post
    [Main Room]

Zefir can, hopefully before she goes K.O. ask her something.

"Eh you said something about the dragon. So what do we need to do?"
    [Main Room]

"Keep it warm."

Clarissa murmurs, already half-asleep. Zefir barely reached her in the nick of time! Another five seconds and she'd have been in dreamland!

"Stay with it all tomorrow until it hatches. Maybe it'll think you're its mother if it sees you before it sees anything else."

"Anything else?"

5. - Top - End - #1085
    Halfling in the Playground

[Outside - Training]

"What's with the squirrel? Why, Cedric is my dear little friend." Isabelle smiles and Cedric shrieks.
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

6. - Top - End - #1086
    Troll in the Playground

[Main Room?]

Meanwhile, Becky undeadtimes, baps her player on the head, then sways her way to find Clarissa!

...it's probably a good thing she wasn't here when Stu was...

...and when she finds Clarissa, the very naughtily-clad shadowdancer winks, and sits on the arm of the couch next to her partner in crime!

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

7. - Top - End - #1087
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mindfreak View Post
    Marciano and Magtok
    The MechanoPanther opens its mouth and...
    Seemingly sprays a rotten egg smelling liquid at Marciano, likely soaking him as robots very rarely miss.
    Then a spout of flame comes out of the panther's mouth, most likely igniting the extremely flammable liquid that had most likely soaked Marciano.
    And probably burning him alive very, very slowly and very painfully.
    If the panther missed Marciano with the liquid in the first place, it'll just electrocute him using its tail.
    ((One does not simply run into AMEN and try to kill Magtok without dying themselves, and there's no other way this could have ended.))
    Marciano is gooped, and flames start to grow at his feet, and rising. Marciano glares with angry brown eyes at Magtok, one of the individuals contributing to his inevitable destruction. He begins his final rant as flames dance up his body. Magtok! You'll regret this day! I will make you regret it! I am Marciano Louv're! I am POWERFUL! It seems Marciano's letting out his inner egomaniac. I will rise again Magtok! Then you and all the others will die! No, not death...I will take everything from you! Your girlfriend, your home, this organization! I will do it to each and everyone of you! Vyrnn, Dipsnig, Ilpholin, Tobias, you! All of you! Marciano spits out angrily, the pain and rage causing him to spout out words of hate and revenge. I will break you in so many ways Magtok! I'll crush you all! And, when I come back...THE NEXUS WILL BURN! Oh, it might be a few years....it might be a while....but when I come back....you won't know I'm here. Not until you feel the pangs of treachery.....Like this treachery I feel! You, you were behind the scenes, all of you! All of you are against me! Marciano spits out as flames reach his hips. Everyone will feel the regret, when each of you die....each of you feel the pain, as I take everything you love away! EVERYTHING I WAS DENIED! Fate will come calling Magtok, I will be the end of you! Remnant will burn, and when I take over, No one will stop me! The flames are at the little man's neck. His skin bubbles and melts, as he struggles to spit out his last words to Magtok. I will be greater than you! I...I...I will.....You're on the list....ah....so cold.....You're on the list....

8. - Top - End - #1088
    Bugbear in the Playground

RUNNING into the Front Room

Harley, who looks like a normal human who has a sword in a scabbard across her back, if it wasn't for the scar on her face, comes RUNNING into the Front Room.

She heard someone yelling REALLY LOUD, and she wanted to know where it was coming from!

Upon entering the Front Room, her boredom returns, and she sits down somewhere.

9. - Top - End - #1089

[Main Room]

Zefir just spend a short look at the dying halfling. None to care of since Magtok wants to kill him. After all magtk is the only person in this whole place Zefir can't hate for his appereance. Well not that he hates Clarissa, but on first meeting he didn#t like her.

"Well Ok."

With that he heads for his room, but as far as I know it's blocked by the panther goo stuff. Well nothing he can do there right now so he heads back to the main Room and aims for the Front door.
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

10. - Top - End - #1090

Main Room

Our cyborg takes a small pack of Magboro cigarettes out of a robe packet, flicking the top open before taking one of those awful coffin-nails out of the container. He presses it between his lips, leans in as if he were going to kiss the ugly little halfling, and then pulls away abruptly, just as the tip of his cigarette is lit up by that screaming inferno standing before him. He puts the pack away in the pocket it came from, inhales deeply from the awful little cancer-stick, and then blows a single smoke circle at the dying man's face.

"Mm. Should've shut up and just shot me when you had the chance."

He tosses the cigarette into the fire, shakes his head, and walks off.
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson

11. - Top - End - #1091

Main Room

Well, here they are back home safe (or not-so-safe) home. Shayan leads the way in through the front door, presumably with Isabelle following behind her. The plant mistress hasn't bothered taking any of her little cacti back from the failed experiment in Trog's, as she has more samples here down in her labs.

And speaking of those labs, that's where she seems to be headed assuming no one wants to stop her. She has things to discuss with her newly found colleague after all.
    Julie, everyone's nth favorite succubus, by Gulaghar.
    An amazing Misha, Mimi, and Riss painting done by Ofride.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

12. - Top - End - #1092

[Main Room]

Isabelle happily follows along after Shayan, a beaming smile on her face as always. The magic monster maker is always in a cheerful mood, especially at the moment! She's found another person to work with! Huzzah! Collaboration and all that good stuff!

So along she goes.

And if anyone decides to interrupt them, Cedric will shriek at them until they go away!
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

13. - Top - End - #1093

Training Arena

Having finished his side of the preparations for Operation Flying Fiasco sooner than expected, the Cat Burglar can be found here practicing with his shiny new jetpack, doing midair backflips, evasive maneuvers, barrel rolls and so forth. You know, in case the mission involves diving through flaming rings of chainsaw blades.

Okay, so maybe he just wants an excuse to play around with a jetpack. Don't even pretend you wouldn't do the same.
    Meese Mobster by smuchmuch.

14. - Top - End - #1094

Quote Originally Posted by Gnrlshrimp View Post
    [Main Room]

Isabelle happily follows along after Shayan, a beaming smile on her face as always. The magic monster maker is always in a cheerful mood, especially at the moment! She's found another person to work with! Huzzah! Collaboration and all that good stuff!

So along she goes.

And if anyone decides to interrupt them, Cedric will shriek at them until they go away!
    Main Room -> Atlantis

Shayan leads Isabelle to her work space in Atlantis, a rather cosy little spot drapped in vines and climbing plants of all sorts, with the only real sign that she hasn't walked straight into a hippy commune or a hydroponic grow-op being the large surgeon's table covered in sharp-looking implements in one corner, next to a thin hospital cot covered in heavy duty metal strapping for securing "patients".

Shayan points to one plant in particular, a fragrant set of yellow-flowered vines that seems to be lethargically crawling across the ceiling towards them, at least until Isabelle can see that it's tied to the pole it's on to keep it immobile.

"That would be the type of plant I am bonded to. A yellow musk creeper, so named because it crawls along through foliage and has a potent, almost narcotic musk it uses to subdue prey. They mostly eat brains when they can, and the fat from one can keep a single plant full for months alongside their regenerative properties." The rest of the plants don't make any odd movements or explode when the two pass them, so at least they seem harmless in comparison.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

15. - Top - End - #1095

[Atlantis]

Huh.

"You're bonded with something that eats brains?!" Took a moment for that to sink in there. Despite the plant seemingly being immobile, Isabelle still gives it as wide a berth as she can. The whole place seems a lot less corpse-y than her workplace, but if that yellow musk creeper is anything to go by, apparently rather more dangerous.

She makes sure not to get too close to anything else for the time being, until Shayan gives her the all clear.

"I can't say I've ever encountered such a dangerous plant before. Eats brains? Really? Ugh..." Isabelle shivers uncomfortably at the thought. She likes her brain where it is.

16. - Top - End - #1096

Atlantis

Shayan seems amused by Isabelle's shock, "I did mention it had evolved from a symbiote to a predator. It functions by hollowing out the brain cavity and planting a seed in the cerebro-spinal fluid left behind, which will eventually grow into another musk creeper, but in the interim serves as a replacement for the cerebellum, directing basic motor control. If you want me to put it crudely, the plant zombifies its victims for a time, so that it can have minions to protect and tend to it." She's never put it so plainly before, even that time she was trying to see how Magtok would respond to her work. It faintly amuses her that Isabelle considers her work more dangerous than things like Cedric and those crazed ferrets.

"Thankfully, the plants become sedate in the presence of another. They have no real intelligence, but there is a hierarchy of sorts where they will not attempt to eat the food of another's territory. This one considers you my food."

17. - Top - End - #1097

[Atlantis]

Oh, Cedric and the ferrets aren't dangerous! They're Isabelle's dear little friends! That plant however is clearly nobody's friend, horribly dangerous, and should be avoided at all costs!

Putting things that simply is probably quite beneficial for Isabelle. Words such as "cerebro-spinal fluid, cerebellum", and the like are lost on her. Were Shayan to point out what each part is, she'd probably understand. She has cut up a lot of animals and poked at their parts, after all. But the words themselves? Meaningless to her.

"So I'm your lunch, so it won't touch me. Well that's nice to know." Isabelle has a rather bemused smile on her face. Perhaps because she suddenly feels rather vulnerable in this place, surrounded by unknown plants, only being left alone by that musk creeper because it sees her as Shayan's food. "So, how did you, um, trick the plant? Adjust it? Make it be helpful and not eat your brain?"

18. - Top - End - #1098

Magtok and Marciano
    The panther will spray Marciano's body with a torrent of flames until only ashes are left.
    And then it'll walk away. It does need to go back to Megan to restock its fuel tank.
    It used quite a bit of the fuel on Marciano.
    Mindfreak by...I don't quite know who
    Nexus Characters | Pokemon RPG Rules
    Busy with Life

19. - Top - End - #1099

Quote Originally Posted by Gnrlshrimp View Post
    [Atlantis]

Oh, Cedric and the ferrets aren't dangerous! They're Isabelle's dear little friends! That plant however is clearly nobody's friend, horribly dangerous, and should be avoided at all costs!

Putting things that simply is probably quite beneficial for Isabelle. Words such as "cerebro-spinal fluid, cerebellum", and the like are lost on her. Were Shayan to point out what each part is, she'd probably understand. She has cut up a lot of animals and poked at their parts, after all. But the words themselves? Meaningless to her.

"So I'm your lunch, so it won't touch me. Well that's nice to know." Isabelle has a rather bemused smile on her face. Perhaps because she suddenly feels rather vulnerable in this place, surrounded by unknown plants, only being left alone by that musk creeper because it sees her as Shayan's food. "So, how did you, um, trick the plant? Adjust it? Make it be helpful and not eat your brain?"
    Atlantis

Shayan doesn't seem to notice her new friend's discomfort for the moment, humming tunelessly to herself as she walks over to her operating table and pulls out a nerve and skeleton chart of the human body that she lays flat for Isabelle to see. She points at the base of the neck idly as she explains, "I was a fluke, actually, and my combination with the plant is what caused me to study ways plants can be useful to people in more direct ways. The proper application of healing magic at the right time can save the host and grow the plant out entirely, combining the two. This wasn't the way it was intended to happen in nature obviously, but it was how it happened with me. That's why my legs no longer function, and I've learned to support myself with the vines instead. The growth inside my body was too rapid, and it blocked off some of the spine's functions." She trails her finger down to the lower back on the diagram, indicating where the roots forced their way through her vertebrae.

"Originally though, the plant would place its seed in the spine and it would grow from there internally, feeding off what the host ate and keeping the host alive in exchange. Once the host died permanently, the plant would crawl from their body and wait for a new host before planting its seed and dying itself. This evolved into the predatory behavior it now exhibits." The plant mistress shrugs, and raises an arm to a point over Isabelle's shoulder. There's a soft "phut" of air as a seed is released and smacks into a hanging tendril near Isabelle's head that had been slowly moving towards her back while she wasn't looking.

"Since I've learned this, and I have access to the seeds inside my own body, I'm able to plant them in the spines of those I wish to gift with regeneration under carefully monitored conditions so that they aren't crippled in the process as I was. Mind that plant behind you. Touching it causes temporary numbing and paralysis, and it's proven very frisky around women." She sweeps her hand, indicating the plant that she'd just pegged with a seed.

20. - Top - End - #1100

[Atlantis]

"Frisky around-?" That...does not sound pleasant. Isabelle takes a couple of steps away from it. Really wishing she had that bear bodyguard already.

Cedric directs a grumpy shriek at the plant. He doesn't like it when things bother Isabelle. Especially not when they're icky plants that he can't really eat. Not that he eats, as such, but you know what I mean.

"So, um, anyway...basically you just got very very lucky. Amazing how many discoveries happen by chance, isn't it?" Isabelle peers intently at the chart, trying her best not to think too much about the frisky plant that had been about to do goodness knows what to her. "I take it you've tested out your seeds on some people then?"

21. - Top - End - #1101

Atlantis

Shayan nods perhaps a bit too enthusiastically, but continues, "Yes. At first I did my testing much like you've described your own. A large sample group without much consideration for casualties. Then after meeting Professor Cin I refined my technique and managed to find the way to get repeatable results. From there I did some more focused testing in hospitals and got my first success." Among a failure that she could not control, and another partial success that resulted in the subject going blind in one eye and being fine otherwise.

"And yes, I'm very lucky. Had my village elders not tried to heal me, I would be extremely dead by now." Having your brains partially eaten and replaced by a plant will do that to you.

22. - Top - End - #1102

[Atlantis]

"Your village elders? That sounds like something from a much simpler time than where I come from. Or perhaps things are just different for me? I don't know..." Village elders are very much relics of the past that don't exist any more in Isabelle's home, anyway.

"I know my way of testing must seem very crude to you. It probably is. Perhaps there is something in the spell-making process that could be refined to cut out a lot of the casualties, but I've no idea how I'd go about adjusting that."

23. - Top - End - #1103

Atlantis

"It may seem anachronistic, but I was born to a village because they needed an oracle. That's why I have any experience with magic at all, because I was forced into dealing with it. As for your methods, I can't say anything negative since they were my methods too, and if you always have a surplus of subjects then they are perfectly serviceable. I've simply refined my own methods because I've been shown it gets better results faster, when working scientifically. Magic is more temperamental in my experience."

24. - Top - End - #1104

[Atlantis]

"Being forced into dealing with magic sounds pretty harsh. And kind of dangerous. I mean, not everyone is meant for magic, you know? That's what they used to say when I was studying. Might've been wrong them, bunch of damn hypocrites that they were. Oh sure, we're free to explore the wonders of magic, find our own areas of expertise! But making animals better? Oh no! That's an abomination against nature!"

Cedric shrieks soothingly in Isabelle's ear. I'm...not sure how it's possible to shriek soothingly, but Cedric's doing it.

It takes a moment or two for Isabelle to calm down. Her faded smile quickly returns to normal.

"Like I said, maybe there's something in the spell making process I can refine. At the moment I basically have a decent idea how to make each spell work, but my only way to fine-tune it is to simply try it out, see which part of the animal breaks, and adjust the spell so that part doesn't break. After a few attempts, bits stop breaking and everything works."

25. - Top - End - #1105

Atlantis

"I didn't have to learn anything, I was simply fed a diet of different magical plants and other suspect drugs to make me predict the future. Such is the life of an oracle. Easy, but confining and often very short. Had I not been attacked by the musk creeper, I would have likely died a year or so afterwards because of the poisons in my system." There was nothing likely about it. She knew the exact moment she would have died, and took matters into her own hands. The only prediction she worked to make false, and thinking about it still set her skin all a tingle, knowing that she had rewritten the future.

"If it only take a few tries, then perhaps there isn't much left in your process to refine. Even scientific progress usually takes many attempts and few successes before you see positive results you can replicate on demand. Is there anything else you want to ask about my work?" Shayan asks the last question suddenly, tilting her head to the side like a curious owl.

26. - Top - End - #1106
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mindfreak View Post
    Magtok and Marciano
    The panther will spray Marciano's body with a torrent of flames until only ashes are left.
    And then it'll walk away. It does need to go back to Megan to restock its fuel tank.
    It used quite a bit of the fuel on Marciano.
    Only ashes and a metal box are left of Marciano.

27. - Top - End - #1107

[Atlantis]

"Well that sounds like a thoroughly unpleasant life. I'm sorry to hear that. Being slowly poisoned to death sounds like a pretty good definition of "not fun". Can't say being able to see the future is a fair trade there, not for me anyway." I mean, how much would it suck if she looked into the future and discovered herself completely failing to improve an animal?

Not a nice thought.

She must be capable of improving all the animals. All of them!

"Well, um, a few tries is kind of subjective. No less than a dozen ferret brains exploded in the process of making them suitably intelligent. I was really pushing their brains to the limit there. And...I don't know?" Isabelle blinks, a little confused by the sudden change in conversation topic.

She also to take a moment not to giggle at Shayan tilting her head like that. It looks silly. Cedric shrieks in agreement, very silly.

"Oh, well, it would be interesting to hear what other plants you've found that can be directly beneficial to people."

28. - Top - End - #1108

Atlantis

"Being able to see the future was unpleasant, but once I realized I was able to change it, the talent became useful. Even a dozen or so ferrets is still within healthy parameters. It's when the body count numbers in the hundreds that you should begin to doubt your efficiency." Shayan knows well just how many corpses you can hide before people start getting suspicious of your methods.

"Almost any plant really, so long as it can be convinced through careful breeding to implant and grow within flesh instead of soil. Most plants aren't directly helpful on their own, so I crossbreed quite a bit to try to make the most beneficial offspring. The plant behind you that I mentioned numbs and paralyzes is an amazing anesthetic as you might have guessed, and those cacti I brought to Trog's, if bred smaller and coerced to feed off harmful chemicals instead of vitamin D, could prove to be an excellent poison control node once planted under the skin. A second liver, if you'd like to think of it that way, only much better at filtering out toxic substances." Almost all of Shayan's plants, besides the stubborn yellow musk creeper, are crossbred monstrosities of her own creation. In a way she's improving on plants the same way Isabelle improves on animals, but the process is much slower because of the generational gap involved.

29. - Top - End - #1109

Quote Originally Posted by singingnoodle View Post
    Only ashes and a metal box are left of Marciano.
    How nifty, a fireproof box! Maybe there's something of value inside! Magtok reaches down to pick it up, and see if there's a way to open the thing.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

30. - Top - End - #1110
    Ogre in the Playground

The shiny metal box is ornately made, with silver snakes spitting flame on the handles. It's not very heavy, and is easily opened. Inside is a small scroll, in a thin tube. The tube has a tag on the front that simply reads "Open Me. Inside the tube should Magtok open it, is a small letter.

It's a bizarre list that reads forth:

Spoiler
    Show

Magtok
    Clarissa
    Dave
    Vyrn
    Triplets
    Batiste
    Grantaire
    Dipsnig
    Romeo