New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] AMEN XLIV: Beware Falling Flowers

Meeting Room

"She's supposed to provide some suitable ones in conjunction with the trip. But thoroughly expect mages and archmages and circle tower mages of some sort or another." Ilpholin replies. Magic! Magtok's favorite.

"Now I heard you talked to Isabelle and maybe one or two others while I was busy?" Admittedly those seven sins just sort of disappeared.
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2012-08-02 at 10:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

2. - Top - End - #932
    Bugbear in the Playground

Speaking of the new Intern, she undeadtimes! (Finally.)

She's in some random Hallway, wandering around because she's learning her way around AMEN, and she got bored from sitting in the Deadtime Juice.

If nothing happens to kill her boredom, it's possible that she'll wander her way to some secret passageway to Outside to go kill boredom.

3. - Top - End - #933
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mindfreak View Post
    BioLab
    "Oh, don't worry about wrecking them. Thanks to a deal I made a while ago, I get all the raw materials I want. I could pop out a batch of these easily."
    It's true. Thanks to that deal she made with Karyana a long time ago she can do whatever she wants.
    The deal I remember was specifically that Karyana would provide a large quantity of materials in exchange for setting up security at her wedding, not an unlimited supply of them. But she's good enough friends with Megan that she'll be willing to give her as much as she needs anyway, so I suppose it doesn't really matter.

[Ilpholin's Office - Karyana]

In any case, speaking of Karyana, she's just teleported into the base, and is knocking on the door to Ilpholin's office.

4. - Top - End - #934
    Halfling in the Playground

All Over AMEN
    Except the Mechano-rats leave no smell behind because, well, robots
    However, Megan's scent is faintly on them, but it's also on the Mechano-Panthers.
    It might be difficult for the ferrets to tell which is the Mechano-Panthers and which are the rats.
    Yeah...see...this. Eh, fine, the rats don't generate any scent of their own.

However, the rats themselves were the ones most recently in contact with Megan, so if the ferrets simply follow the freshest scent of Megan, that should lead them to the rats.
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

5. - Top - End - #935
    Barbarian in the Playground

Forest
    "That makes things easier. Since I assume you can make any materials here that you wish, how about your payment for anything you ever want me to make for you is that you provide me with any materials I need."
    If she did this she could get all the other things she needed to completely renovate the BioLab.
    Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    [Forest]

Karyana nods.

"I can do that, yes. Would you like a demonstration?"
    So yeah, Megan has an unlimited supply of stuff thanks to a deal with Karyana a while ago

Around AMEN
    The first of the rats will be pretty easy to find!
    It looks at them, its eyes and ears taking in audio and video, and waits for them to do something.
    Mindfreak by...I don't quite know who
    Nexus Characters | Pokemon RPG Rules
    Busy with Life

6. - Top - End - #936

[Around AMEN]

As soon as the rat is spotted, two of the ferrets break off to search for other rats.

The third slowly approaches the rat, muscles tensed, waiting for it to make a move.

Either the rat moves first...and gets pounced on...or the ferret's gonna end up right in front of the rat and chomp on it. Theoretically, anyway.
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

7. - Top - End - #937

Around AMEN
    The first rat makes a move!
    It leaps at the ferret, trying to take a bite at its neck!

The second rat is harder to find, but in the end they find it.
    Though this one seems to have removed the vials from its back and placed them in the hallway in a line. There's spaces in between of course.
    But they seem to have tiny antennas on them.
    The rat itself is on the wall looking down at them with its eyes.
    Busy with Life

8. - Top - End - #938

[Around AMEN]

Attack of the rat!

Shame for the rat that ferrets are rather tricky to get a grip on, let alone bite. As the rat leaps at it, the ferret leans out of the way, quickly trying to squirm round and sink its teeth into the back of the rat's neck.

Isabelle is probably going to be rather annoyed about this. She wanted to test her ferrets' ability to hunt down devices left to spy on AMEN and the like, not their skills in a fight.

Speaking of which, the second rat has apparently left a line of mines or something for the poor ferret?

Yeah, Isabelle hadn't taken something like this into account when throwing magic at the ferrets' brains, since she'd figured spying instruments are meant to go undetected and aren't going to leave traps all over the place, because that kind of gives the game away. So...one of the ferrets just goes ahead and runs down the hallway towards the rat. And the third turns to track down the third rat.

9. - Top - End - #939
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    Flying Fiasco

"If we encounter a human, is it more likely to be a guard or a servant, noble or artist?" Nephrim tilts her head to one side.

((I was awaiting Kid Kris))
    Flying Fiasco

"Depends on where you enter. The upper levels is inhabited by the nobles, the artists live on the middle levels along with the servants and the guests. Most of the guards patrol the bottom levels of the castle but you can see them anywhere in Malechenar at any given time." Cybil explains to Nephrim.

10. - Top - End - #940
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post

In any case, speaking of Karyana, she's just teleported into the base, and is knocking on the door to Ilpholin's office.

Ilpholin is sitting behind the desk as per usual when the door opens of its own accord. "Come in."

One of these days, I think Ilpholin won't be in here and everyone will be totally confused and terrified. *nod nod*
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

11. - Top - End - #941
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post

Ilpholin is sitting behind the desk as per usual when the door opens of its own accord. "Come in."

One of these days, I think Ilpholin won't be in here and everyone will be totally confused and terrified. *nod nod*

Karyana is in a somewhat more normal form this time around, it seems. Of course, 'normal' is relative; she still has six arms and a pair of wings. She also appears to be carrying a datapad of some sort, presumably containing information relevant to her purpose in being here.

In any case, she does indeed enter, shutting the door behind herself if it should prove necessary, though I rather suspect it won't.

"I have the designs for the army ready, and the demonstration units made."

12. - Top - End - #942

Quote Originally Posted by Gnrlshrimp View Post
    [Around AMEN]

Attack of the rat!

Shame for the rat that ferrets are rather tricky to get a grip on, let alone bite. As the rat leaps at it, the ferret leans out of the way, quickly trying to squirm round and sink its teeth into the back of the rat's neck.

Isabelle is probably going to be rather annoyed about this. She wanted to test her ferrets' ability to hunt down devices left to spy on AMEN and the like, not their skills in a fight.

Speaking of which, the second rat has apparently left a line of mines or something for the poor ferret?

Yeah, Isabelle hadn't taken something like this into account when throwing magic at the ferrets' brains, since she'd figured spying instruments are meant to go undetected and aren't going to leave traps all over the place, because that kind of gives the game away. So...one of the ferrets just goes ahead and runs down the hallway towards the rat. And the third turns to track down the third rat.
    Around AMEN
    Well, the rat's programming hasn't been updated for a looooooong time...
    Anyways, they aren't mines.
    The glowing tubes unscrew themselves and fall to the ground, revealing tiny little cameras on spider-like legs!
    The four cameras scatter off in all different directions!
    You see, the tubes were just charging devices meant to both hold, protect, and charge the cameras.
    Anyways, the cameras are quickly hiding and the second rat is running away into the ventilation system!

The first rat gets a bite on its neck!
    It loses its head!
    And shuts down...
    The vials discharge from its back, unscrewing in mid-air and releasing four more cameras on spider-legs!

The third rat seems to have ran into Megan's room...
    Oh...
    Oh my
    There's a picture of Aseti on her dresser. Otherwise it's pretty much a normal room.
    The rat seems to have gone into her closet!
    Busy with Life

13. - Top - End - #943

Meeting Room

"She's supposed to provide some suitable ones in conjunction with the trip. But thoroughly expect mages and archmages and circle tower mages of some sort or another." Ilpholin replies. Magic! Magtok's favorite.

"Now I heard you talked to Isabelle and maybe one or two others while I was busy?" Admittedly those seven sins just sort of disappeared.
    Magtok waves a hand dismissively.

"Some kids who called themselves the seven sins. Made them probationary members because while I couldn't find any concrete reasons to reject them, I had doubts about how well they'd get along with anyone who isn't heterosexual here, and their attitudes implied that they were the sort of people who got by on raw magical power, rather than any sort of ingenuity, people skills, or even just general competence."

Maggy pulls out a coffee mug, with "#1 Gene Donor!" of all things printed on it, and sips something out of it that I'm pretty sure isn't coffee, before continuing.

"Isabelle, on the other hand, I can put a bit more faith in. What she specializes in, she's quite clearly very good at. I think you've already had a chance to see her little friend, so I won't prattle on about that. Once she's perfected this whole 'anti-spyware' thing, we shouldn't need to worry about Remnant knowing every last little thing we're doing anymore, and she can progress to bigger, badder, and outright horrifying meat-weapons or whatever else we might need.

Oh, and whatshername. Janie, I think? She certainly has enthusiasm for this sort of work, which is odd since I thought that as a relative of Kal she'd be just like Becky but with weirder hair. We turned some people in Trog's into mermaids for kicks and giggles and also demanded their money. Didn't pan out so well, but I didn't really think it was going to, anyways. Really adamant about the whole 'no I don't do curtains' thing, by the way. I think you could probably get a lot done if you got a magical lust aura suppression ring, and dangled that over her head like a carrot in front of a horse.

...So what sort of trip is this, exactly?"

Probably an absolutely terrible one, if all the magic people brought up is anything to go by.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

14. - Top - End - #944
    Ogre in the Playground

"Very well." Ilpholin says, looking at Karyana to continue. Either Karyana wanted to show the designs or show the demonstration units. Best clarify to get things moving.

Meeting Room

Huh. Hadn't seen any seven sins around, except Clarissa. She'd have to check the security feeds closer. She glances at Magtok's unusual choice of mugs briefly before replying.

"Genie I think. I'm guessing didn't pan out so well included her turning into a fish and running into your room to make it smell like fish?" Cause that's where Ilpholin found her. She'd look into that suppression thing later.

"You'd go to Lily's world using some magic machine portal thing, talk to some people, come back. Lily should have all the further specifics so you ought to ask her. I wouldn't eat lunch just before you go though." Just hazarding a guess.

"Speaking of trips, after the Matron's banquet deal, I'm going to be gone for about a week and a half tracking down some critters for AMEN. It needs a... delicate personal touch sort of thing. Anyways, you'll be in charge while I'm gone and I didn't want to spring it on you last second."
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

15. - Top - End - #945

Meeting Room

"Alright. S'there any way I can contact you if some sort of awful emergency comes up? I doubt anything will come up that's out of my league and that of everyone else in the entire base, but y'know, just on that off-chance that exactly such an improbable event happens-"

Magtok peers at his mug suspiciously, as if expecting Gordon to jump right out and breath lightning on him. He narrows his eyes, really wishing he had stopped to consider the whole fish smell thing when he allowed Jeanne to barricade herself in that office. Blargh...

"Anything else, or should I go idle about in the Common Room until this Lily character shows up?"
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson

16. - Top - End - #946
    Ogre in the Playground

Meeting Room

"I'll have my cell phone with me. Should be enough." Ilpholin says. "And Squiggles will be with me." She adds as something of an afterthought really.

"That should be... oh no, one more thing. How's the generator coming?" Ilpholin almost forgot about that.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

17. - Top - End - #947

[Around AMEN]

Tiny spider cameras? Well, that's rather inconvenient isn't it?

They're also completely ignored by ferret #2, which is rather focused on killing the mechano-rat instead. While normally the ferrets would be charged with hunting down anything questionable, for this test Isabelle had them just go after the rats...so the cameras are going to be able to skitter about all over the place until the ferrets report back to Isabelle.

Speaking of which, ferret #1 turns and starts heading back to base. Time for it to report in to its mistress!

And ferret #3 has possibly cornered its prey! The picture on the dresser and any sneaky gossip that could result from its presence are lost to the ferret, as all that people stuff is far too complicated for it. So into the dresser it will go in search of that rat.

18. - Top - End - #948

Around AMEN
    The first rat's cameras go skittering off!

As do the second's!

The second rat is crawling through the ventilation system, trying to run away!

The third rat isn't in the dresser. There just seems to be underwear, socks, and tanktops in there.
    The rat is most likely still in the closet.
    Busy with Life

19. - Top - End - #949

[Around AMEN]

Tired Shrimp confuses a closet with a dresser somehow. Oh well, the ferret tries the closet then.

And rat #2 will find the elongated ferret-y body of its pursuer means the ferret is able to navigate through the ventilation system quite easily. Rat #2 won't be shaking off the ferret that easily. Better try something else before it gets caught!

[Meanwhile, back in Isabelle's room...]

"Back already, dear? That was very quick of you." as ferret #1 comes back into her room, Isabelle picks it up and strokes it gently. "How did it go then?" She asks as she strokes it.

A short while later, with a slightly irritated sigh Isabelle puts the ferret back in its cage. She had not expected Megan to decide to make the test a little more...complicated.

Nor did she want any such thing.

It could take ages to track down those little cameras now. Days, weeks even! The sort of length of time it would take to, say, do a thorough sweep with her ferrets to remove any existing bugs or similar devices that had been planted before she'd been set this task.

So she doesn't really want to play along. The test was to find and deal with the rats, and once her ferrets have returned she'll be satisfied that they're capable of the task at hand and can make her final adjustments.

20. - Top - End - #950

Around AMEN
    Megan didn't decide to make the test that complicated.
    The rats did.

Anyways, the second rat is slowing down! Oh noes!

The third rat is indeed inside the closet! It has placed one of its four glowing tubes in the closet.
    The tube unscrews and another camera goes running off!
    The rat looks at the ferret for a few moment before running towards it!
    Busy with Life

21. - Top - End - #951

[Around AMEN]

But Isabelle doesn't know that, does she?

The second rat is slowing down? Well that's not good news for the poor thing. As soon as it gets close enough, ferret #2 will leap at the rat and try and chomp through it.

As for ferret #3...

Well if the rat just keep on running, the ferret will try'n jump on top of it once it gets close enough. But I assume there is going to be some trickery afoot once the rat gets closer.

22. - Top - End - #952

Around AMEN
    The second rat keeps slowing down!
    And gets chomped!
    Its lights dim as it stops running...
    Good job, ferret #2!
    The third rat keeps runnin before jumping!
    It tries to jump over the ferret!
    Last edited by Mindfreak; 2012-08-06 at 02:45 PM.
    Busy with Life

23. - Top - End - #953

[Around AMEN]

Ferret #2 gets to work on making its way back home then. Mission accomplished!

Meanwhile, ferret #3 attempts to intercept rat #3 in mid-air! Jumping bites are rather hard to time, mind you, so it could also end up colliding with the rat instead, or missing entirely.

24. - Top - End - #954

Around AMEN
    And they collide!
    The rat falls to the ground before getting back up.
    And trying it to jump over the ferret again.
    Busy with Life

25. - Top - End - #955

[Around AMEN]

And ferret #3 hops to its feet as quick as it can and tries to grab the rat before it can jump away to freedom.

If successful...it'll get to chomping.

26. - Top - End - #956

Around AMEN
    And rat #3 has been chomped and dealt with...
    Good job ferrets!
    Busy with Life

27. - Top - End - #957

Meeting Room

"I'll have my cell phone with me. Should be enough." Ilpholin says. "And Squiggles will be with me." She adds as something of an afterthought really.

"That should be... oh no, one more thing. How's the generator coming?" Ilpholin almost forgot about that.
    "Done. Ready and waiting for whenever you might need it."

Magtok actually had forgotten about that. In fact, the thing's only about three-fourths of the way to being finished, but now that Magtok's been told about it, he's reasonably certain he can have it finished and doing its job before Ilpholin has a chance to call his bluff.

"So we're done here, then?"
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

28. - Top - End - #958
    Ogre in the Playground

[Flying Fiasco]

Kal listens to the conversation but adds nothing and has no questions of his own. Honestly, he'd rather just get on with the actual mission, and unless anyone in the group addresses him directly, he will stay silent until then.
    Last edited by Ashen Lilies; 2012-08-06 at 09:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

29. - Top - End - #959
    Ogre in the Playground

Meeting Room

"Alright. Make sure it's set up in a secure room by the time I get back. But that is all, thank you."

Ilpholin says with a nod.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

30. - Top - End - #960
    Ogre in the Playground

Both, but the demonstration units can come later, since she can't exactly have them do much in Ilpholin's office.

"The designs are on here, if you'd like to go over them,"
    Karyana says, going to set the datapad on the desk. "The demonstration units are currently elsewhere, but they can be moved to whatever testing area you wish me to show them in within half-an-hour, provided it doesn't have defenses against causing non-adjacent pieces of space to become so."