New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [Rail IC] Academy City III: Abusive Physics Never End!

Moroe looked away from Mrs Nimori, clearly uncomfortable being the target of such gratitude. She excused herself as quickly as politeness permitted. Didn't that woman understand by now that Moroe had brought her son more harm than good? It'd be better for everyone when she got out of his life forever; Right after she linked minds with him and explored his innermost memories. Why did life have to be so complicated?

She didn't attempt to leave the hospital. There was too great a chance that the wrong people were watching the entrances; And besides, leaving would just take her further away from the person who needed to be saved. Instead, she simply found an empty room in a different part of the building and hid there. She then summoned a few drones to mount their own surveillance on the entrances, as well as Shougo's room. If she had guessed correctly, then the plan was to wait until he was moved to a more favourable place, and then to slip back in to do the procedure. And if she hadn't guessed correctly, then Jounouchi would hopefully call to correct her; His girlfriend did have Moroe's number, after all.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Atrum-Persavor
    Guest in the Playground

In the background, Ren was arguing with a member of Anti-Skill.

"Out of my jurisdiction? Last I checked-" Ren began, before being cut-off mid-sentence.

"There were no requests for Judgment to deploy, and you went and engaged-"

"- I am a Level 4, part of the Takedown Squad. I am perfectly qualified-"

"-Yes, but we didn't-"

"-There was a distress call on the Judgment radio, go check the logs! I'm 40261!" Ren fumed agitatedly.

"Fine, fine, Yayoi's kid, okay, okay. Then, what happened here?"

"I don't know."

"What?! You don't-" The Anti-Skill looked at Ren incredulously, as if Ren were pulling his leg.

"All I know is that there were 5 armed men in combat armor- One already down from bullet wounds, another from shrapnel. I neutralized the third."

"Neutralized?"

"Took his knife and stabbed his neck with it."

"Are you serious-? You should be freaking out right about now."

"His corpse is right next to us." Ren breathed, his voice completely level. Although, he was noticeably trying not to look at the body.

"Okay, terminated hostile in self-defense..."

The Anti-Skill takes a moment to type something into a holographic keyboard, before turning back to Ren.

"So, any identifying marks, anything?"

"There was a leader- didn't get a good look. Level 5 from the looks of it, not on the Database. I need a request submitted to Tree Diagram for a countermeasure to a space-time manipulation abilit-"

"We'll be the judge of that. Any identifying marks?"

"Check the bodies. I didn't have the time to."

"...Fine. Dismissed. We'll call you up if we need anything else."

"I'm going to stay here for a while and help out. As per standard procedure."

"Nnnh. Go help Shiba outside, he's clearing the mess. Could use a teleporter."

"Got it." Ren nodded in acknowledgement and left.

Outside, Ren pulled his phone open and spoke into it.

"Yeah, everyone in Branch 177, I'll back in a while. Just cleaning everything up then making sure Kouta's alright."

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

Unfortunately for the investigators, the first two dead G.E.A.R. operatives have very little in the way of identifying equipment on them. All of the serial numbers on their guns have been neatly filed off, their fatigues are all black and bear no identifying marks, and their fingerprints turn up records for people that supposedly died years ago.

The third one, however, could potentially yield an answer-because he's still alive. His protective vest caught the shrapnel that would have killed him, and he's bleeding out, rapidly-but his pulse is still there, although his breath is shallow. The Anti-skill waste no time in stabilizing him and carting him off to a new room-where he's handcuffed to the bed as the doctors begin their work keeping him alive. When...if...he wakes up...

There will be many people who are keenly interested in what he has to say.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Deep inside the disguised compound where G.E.A.R. operates, Yori is immersed in conversation with one of his head researchers.

"It's amazing. Her body repairs any damage dealt to it within hours, minutes in the case of smaller incisions. We've had to rush to finish some procedures before her wounds healed up while we were still poking around inside. It's not just her, too-one of the junior researcher's acne cleared up in the middle of one procedure, and Dr. Murigiri's knee problems are gone. But we have what we need; we've got at least two solid cell lines and an excellent copy of her AIM field."

"Good. How are the prototypes holding up? I don't want to lose any more of them than we need to."

"Well, we have the SURTR and YMIR lines stabilized and ready to move into the production phase, and NIDHOGGR and NORN aren't too far behind. The FENRIR cell line is giving us some trouble, though, but that's to be expected-it hasn't been the most stable of the units anyways. Also, as always, new genetic material gives us the opportunity to start new lines. The geneticists in Block R have some promising results. If it pans out, they're naming the new model line EIR."

"So things are finally looking up. Glad to hear it. I want the girl monitored, by the way. It's not usual for people to survive the genetic harvesting process; if we're lucky we might be able to get a second batch from her before her heart gives out."

The scientist nods and hands a clipboard to Yori for him to sign. After giving the forms a quick once over, he gives it a quick signature before limping off the hall to think, leaving the researcher to his own devices. The project was almost done; he was about to be saddled with copious amounts of free time. But business first. He supposed he'd check in on the brat while she recovered. If he played his angles right, he might be able to snag an unexpected bonus.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kin may notice a familiar girl a little ways away from the group. That is, if she isn't too focused on Katsu.

Krystal notices Kin and the group, at least. She'll smile and walk over. She looks a little tired, but still happy.

Hi Kin!

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you. - Malcolm Reynolds

Because I'm allergic to things I don't wanna do. *coughcough* - Caboose
    Photos from the 2014 Woodward Dream Cruise.

CHARACTERS
    I has a story! Updates when I can.
    3DS Friend Code: 2595-1862-5907

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

To say that Kin was pleased by this development would have been like saying that the sun was rather warm. From the way her eyes shone as she spun around to greet her friend, it was easy to think that the two had been separated for weeks. In what seemed like a second, she somehow warped across the gap between her and Krystal, to envelop her in a bone crushingly tight hug.

"Friend! Best friend! Bestest friend in the whole wide world!"

6. - Top - End - #36

Oof! Clearly, Krystal wasn't quite expecting that. She almost falls over, but manages to stay up and returns the hug with a smile.

Hey, I was only stuck home for a day. Wasn't that long. Sheesh.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

CHARACTERS

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

"Not a long time?! You've been gone for over one hundred thousand heartbeats! In the time we've been apart, the Earth has moved about one and a half million miles! Mayflys the world over have been born, lived full, happy lives, and then died peacefully of old age! A day is an eternity, my young padawan!"

Kin sounded genuinely aghast at this flagrant disrespect of the temporal dimension; 'Sounded' being the operative word, since the rest of her was still fully occupied in hugging Krystal.

8. - Top - End - #38

Krystal laughed.

You're so over-dramatic sometimes, Kin. And I didn't know you were a Star Wars fan.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show

CHARACTERS

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Ryuji looks at Krystal and notes the unusual accent and the beautiful mane of snow white hair. His eyes flick over the duo and takes in their measurments. Both were fairly beautiful girls but seemed to be part of a set. Kikio waves at Krystal as she says, "Hey, we missed you today. What was it that kept you down? cold, allergies?"

Ryuji takes the chance to step forward and gives a polite bow as he says, " Hello ma'am Ryuji Matsuda, a pleasure. May I know your name Miss?"

10. - Top - End - #40
    Pixie in the Playground

((OOC: I'll assume that nobody has anything they wanted to do in the hospital, then?))

During and after a long and arduous questioning of those involved, Shougo was indeed moved to a different ward one floor up. After a confused half-hour brought about by discovering that Shougo did not, in fact, require life support any longer, the doctors in his room finally left, more preoccupied with the current victims of Yoris' rampage than with discovering how an unconscious boys' miraculous recovery had occurred.

Speaking of which, the majority of the damage on floor six had been cleaned up-After a thorough police investigation and a psychic mind-trawl through the sole surviving member of Yoris' hit-squad, that is. The door to the damaged room had been boarded up and apart from a few Anti-Skill officers to keep order and a pair of reporters who had turned up rather late for the show, things had gone back to normal.

Regardless, Shougos' room was now more-or-less empty, its' only occupants being Jounouchi, Nimori Koizumi and what was presumably Fumiko-A long-haired, mopey-looking girl whom Moroe might have seen via drone a few days prior. Kouta, having temporarily forgotten about Moroe, was currently having his injured shoulder tended to by a pair of surgeons, who were acting to remove the shards of shattered bullet from his tissue. Just as he'd predicted, it had indeed flared up into blinding pain once the adrenaline had worn off even through the painkillers and it was all he could do to not cry out in agony. He was definitely not thinking of Moroe at this point of time, and most likely would not for the rest of the night.

When Moroe arrived at Shougos' ward, she'd be greeted by a dimly-lit room, with a clean Shougo laying upon a fresh bed. Nimori Koizumi would be sitting in a chair, fingers steepled in prayer, and Jounouchi would be sitting opposite her, Fumiko laying across his chest with freshly-dried tears on her cheeks. It was clear that she had worried immensely about him.

Upon her arrival, Koizumi would have stood up right away, shortly followed by Jounouchi and Fumiko. They all looked tense; Jounouchi most of all, as he glanced off-handledly at Shougo. He tugged on his collar as he spoke to Moroe, voice taut with anxiety.

"Ishimaru Moroe-san...Are you ready?"

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

"Yes."

"No."

What a foolish question. There was no way that she could be ready for this. Nevertheless, she stepped forward.

"I suppose it wouldn't be worth asking what to expect in there. There is one thing I'd like to know, though: Will you be able to see into this link too?"

She didn't know what answer she most wanted to hear. On the one hand, it would be nice to have a watching ally in the outside world; On the other, the idea of having him watching her and Shougo go through this deeply personal experience was frankly horrifying.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Pixie in the Playground

"No...Well, not unless you let me. I...Uh...I won't pry. But I should be able to speak with you, and you should be able to speak with me. And...Uh, if you're ready...Please, take my hand. Don't worry, Shougos' mind is nothing too...Alien, in fact, it's sort of nice in a quaint sort of way...Quite different from most peoples' minds..."

Jounouchi reached out one hand to Moroe, his other touching Shougos' forehead. If Moroe decided to take her hand, she might be uncomfortably aware of Fumiko and Mrs Nimori watching her closely.

A few seconds after holding his hand, Moroes' vision would blur, then fade to emptiness-Before returning to what appeared to be a massive, traditional Japanese building complex; the sort that would have been the fashion in the Edo period of Japan nearly 200 years prior. It was dark, the area lit largely by the light of a few lonely-looking stars which shone brightly nonetheless. The light of a central fireplace burned fiercely from what was presumably the center of the complex. Looking around, Moroe would note scrolls scattered all over the floor, apparently parted from their parent shelves-A handful had been carefully 're-stacked', no doubt the work of Jounouchi before his forceful eviction. A closer inspection would reveal that sections of this building appeared newer than others-Possibly the result of Shikis' healing.

Throughout all of this, however, came the near-constant barrage of confused, helter-skelter thoughts and emotions on her mind. It would be an easy enough exercise to ward them off, but it would be fairly easy to see what Jounouchi meant by 'merged thoughts'-A lack of mental defenses would quickly result in disaster as the differing thoughts, memories and feelings of the two participants melded and then promptly conflicted with each other.

Before Moroe could reach for a scroll, however, Jounouchis' voice echoed throughout her head-Faint and distant, yet clear at the same time.

"Can you hear me? Are you in there, Ishimaru Moroe-san? Place the scrolls back onto the shelves; that's where they're supposed to go, and how Shougos' mind makes sense of things. Oh, and be careful of anything that moves-They're probably a mental projection."

He waited for her to respond, and then continued.

"Prepare yourself when you handle those scrolls-Those things are memories at their purest. You could inadvertently alter those things-And they could inadvertently alter you-If you're not careful."

If Moroe reached for a scroll, her mind would receive a wave of ...Thoughts? Feelings? Sensations? Regardless, it would be quite easy to shut those out of her mind, although she still got flashes of his life-The hours upon hours of hard ninjutsu practice with his father, the memories of a traditional Japanese dinner with his family, always full of laughs, his difficulty in relating to other students in the past...

If she continued stacking them, she'd chance upon one particularly old memory-One that would have seemed vaguely ...familiar, even to her. Shougo knew what it was like to be alone; like her, he was an orphan, before his father (who was always a particularly vibrant figure in Shougos' memories) had found him and adopted him. In fact, he was from the same orphanage Moroe was from before she went into GATE-'Shougo', number 12227, with Ainu heritage and a true faceless nobody. He may not have been in the same group as her, though; she would not have been able to make her childhood self out in those memories if she had decided to pry into them.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

When Moroe's vision cleared, it was all she could do not to gape. Portions of her multitasking mind automatically set about repelling the unwelcome barrage of thoughts, leaving her free to marvel at the surroundings. It was amazing how real the place felt. Intellectually, she knew that she was still in the hospital room, but all of her five senses were saying otherwise. Only Jounouchi's sudden interruption snapped her out of this wonderment.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord-Cao-Cao View Post
    "Can you hear me? Are you in there, Ishimaru Moroe-san? Place the scrolls back onto the shelves; that's where they're supposed to go, and how Shougos' mind makes sense of things. Oh, and be careful of anything that moves-They're probably a mental projection."
    [Understood.]

"Prepare yourself when you handle those scrolls-Those things are memories at their purest. You could inadvertently alter those things-And they could inadvertently alter you-If you're not careful."
    Moroe shuddered. This was exactly the sort of thing that she'd been apprehensive about. With even more caution than she'd shown when battling the GEAR soldiers, she set about her task. But even with all that bracing, the first scroll was still a shock. When she first touched it, her hand snapped back as it it had been burnt. For just a second, she had been in another time, and another place. The sensations emanating from that seemingly normal document left her in no doubt as to what it was.

"This is him. This is a piece of his soul."

After several false starts, she eventually mustered the courage to pick up the scroll. She carried it to the shelf as if it were made of wafer-thin crystal, all the while trying to shut out the flow of foreign memories; Or at least, she tried to try. With each new scroll transported, she became more certain that her treacherous mind was dropping its guard intentionally. There was something so...enticing...about the memories of Nimori Shougo, particularly the happy ones; And there were oh so many happy ones. It was a good thing that she'd never met him during his salad days, or even those might not have survived.

And then she came to the most curious one so far. She paused in the act of carrying it to a shelf, surprised by its familiarity. This was the first thing in this foreign place that had felt like that. Shougo's happy days with his family were like nothing she'd ever experienced, and even his sad times were far removed from her own. But this one? This one she knew. It didn't take long to find out why.

"Impossible..."

14. - Top - End - #44
    Pixie in the Playground

He was there. In the same place as her, but not necessarily the same time. Like her, he was subject to a barrage of nigh-constant tests, examinations and grading: and like her, he was deemed as a failure-Near useless. Someone who was very unlikely to advance past level two, at best. Like her, his childhood before his father had been lonely and cold, with fleeting interactions with children his own age and distant, clinical relationships with the staff and his supposed caretakers. Before his father found him, his world had been dull and grey; almost devoid of colour (coincidentally, the exact time in which his world started brightening was time time when his father had asked if he wanted to be his son-a proposition which was met with a tearful nod followed by a fierce hug). He had neither the heart nor drive to make a name for himself in such a place, and as a result, nobody noticed him, nor did anyone pay him much mind.

Well, apart from the time where he took that one test where he had apparently scored very high on potential Psychic aptitude, and they had taken him nearly apart for that-Subjected him to countless experiments, used telepaths to crawl through his mind, vigorous hypnotherapy...Hell, at one point, they had even created flash clones of him and experimented on them in an attempt to figure out just how he had scored so exceedingly high; or at least, so it appeared to Shougo, who had experienced mind-numbing terror looking into the dead, soulless eyes of an identical clone, destined to burn out within a matter of weeks. Of course, they gave up after deciding that Shougos' results were the result of a fluke in their 'flawless examinations'. Needless to say, this was not a positive set of memories, Shougos' mind actively attempting to suppress them at every turn. The demonic, warped visages and exaggerated deformation of the peoples and tools involved might have let Moroe to realise that this was, perhaps, not the most accurate retelling of events.

Regardless, Moroe would have found something quite interesting whilst searching through his memories; if she felt like it, she could alter them, either adding, removing, deleting or modifying exist memories-It was as though she could use Jounouchis' psychic power by extension. Whilst she might not have had any interest in changing these parts of Shougos' memories, she could, if she so desired it, erase herself from them. Thinking of her own name, in fact, would have caused a handful of scrolls to ....glitter? No, that wasn't the right word, but they inexplicably became distinct to her. Those were the memories that contained her-Coincidentally, they were all near the far end of the shelf, which likely contained his more recent memories. Before she had time to ponder this, however, she was met by a solid clap on the shoulder by a large and very warm hand which had somehow managed to sneak up on her, despite her caution.

"Hey! I didn't expect to see you here, little lady!"

The voice was unbelievably loud and vibrant. It was rather unlikely, by this point, that Moroe would have even had to turn around to identify this particular speaker. But if she did, she would have been greeted by a very tall, very imposing and very cheerful man with a long red scarf around his neck and a head very full of wild, shaggy brown hair. Somehow, he felt much larger than he actually was. Without a doubt, this was Nimori Harada, Shougos' father, and he almost literally burned with passion; while he was not literally on fire, the area around him appeared brighter and certainly felt a lot warmer-Perhaps a nice contrast to the normally crisp 'air' of Shougos' mind. Inexplicably and perhaps rather unnervingly, his presence appeared to 'drown out' her connection to Jounouchi-She would be utterly unable to hear him as long as this man was nearby.
    Last edited by Lord-Cao-Cao; 2012-06-18 at 11:09 AM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

This was insane. This was absolutely insane. Moroe pored over the discovered memories again and again, looking for some sign of falsehood. At first she felt certain that they would turn out to be misfiled dreams or fantasies. It took a lot of checking to convince her that these were indeed the real thing. As hard as it was to believe, she had more in common with Nimori Shougo than she'd ever have imagined.

When Moroe had absorbed all of the sensations she could handle, she just stood there, turning them over in her head. Part of her wished that Shougo's mind had turned out to be the way it first seemed: A foreign land with no familiar landmarks. Now that she knew about the common ground they shared, things had become a lot more complicated. How was she supposed to deal with this sense of kinship she now felt with him? Thanks to her experimentation, she now possessed the ability to erase herself from his memories forever; If, that is, she could suppress the urge to run to his side and tell him that he never had to be alone again. These were just some of the issues that she wouldn't get time to ponder before being clapped on the shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord-Cao-Cao View Post
    "Hey! I didn't expect to see you here, little lady!"
    Moroe leapt away from the incredible presence that had suddenly appeared behind her. She did indeed know what she'd see when she turned around, but it still took her aback. The man in front of her was so impossibly vibrant that he almost defied description. After a few seconds of staring, she reminded herself that this figure was just another memory (albeit an incredibly strong one), and managed to regain control of her mouth.

"T-the feeling's mutual...Mr Nimori."

16. - Top - End - #46

Hajime stared at his hand blankly, looking at the palm like it had wronged him somehow.
    He hadn't reached
    Failure was... unacceptable. His Master had ordered him to win, and to protect her, and he had done nothing. He had not completed a task so simple, so easy, and so very important, despite wanting to.
    All it took was one movement
    He left quickly, retreating back to the home his Master used, as that was all he was good for. Weak, useless, irrevocable failure. He sighed, closing his eyes and feeling out the coolness of the wind.
    I make avatars. Send me a request.
    BiTP:RCharacters
    Let's Play: Video Games!
    I suffer from major insomnia, don't be surprised if I'm on at odd hours.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: [Rail IC] Academy City III: Abusive Physics Never End!

Katsu adds to the conversation, sounding quite delighted as seeing another person from the kitten-incident.

"You sure you don't have the same powers as me? You moved really fast! Or is it the power of friendship? I wonder if there are Espers with that."

Suddenly Standing next to Kin and Crystal, the speedster smiles at them. Now too ignoring Ryuji. Poor bean.

"You were gone for a day? That is a long time. What happened? Was it giant robots? Or did you have a super-secret surprise party to make?"

Now addressing Krystal, Katsu seems to have yet again forgotten that most people do not even think fast enough to answer questions so quickly.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Atrum-Persavor
    Guest in the Playground

"I'm back." Ren declared as he pushed open the back room door that connected to the lobby. Every Judgment member used to his teleporting immediately faced that way without any look of surprise- After all, whenever he used teleportation to get around, he tended to teleport between rooftops.

"You didn't want to do that." Jin muttered as he sat on the couch, his legs wide apart with his right leg on the table.

"Come again?" Ren asked as he walked up to Jin, nudging his leg to the floor with his knee.

"Hound." Jin breathed.

"Shut up. I don't need you questioning my actions like that." Ren froze on the spot, glaring at Jin.

"I'm not. Just concerned. That's unhealthy." Jin unflinchingly looks Ren in the eye as he responds, his normally casual voice turning dead serious.

"There's no need to be. It keeps me alive." Ren breaks eye contact as he turns around to sit back at a laptop he left turned on when he went to help Kouta.

"Anyway, turns out our mark got himself beaten up, severely at that. Oh, and Mei, Kouta's alright, just has a small bit of shrapnel in a few non-vital areas. I could go get him later if you want." Ren rapid-fires off a stream of data, as he continues checking something on his laptop.

"I need to contact Yoroi, Kensuke and Kouta later. I'll be resting here for a bit if any of you need me."
    Last edited by Atrum-Persavor; 2012-06-19 at 04:59 AM.

19. - Top - End - #49

Krystal smiles under the barrage of sudden attention. More than she usually gets, at least. She chooses to answer the questions in the order they were asked.

Krystal nods to Kikio first. Yeah, I had a really bad cold. My parents made me stay home. That could explain her tired look.

If she has a hand free of Kin's grasp, she'll hold it out for Ryuji. Nice to meet you. I'm Krystal Jones.

She chuckles at Katsu's questions. I wish. Those are both awesome reasons.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show

CHARACTERS

20. - Top - End - #50
    Pixie in the Playground

The man laughed, his booming voice causing the very rafters of the building to shake.

"I've...No, my boy's wanted me to meet you for a while now. Of course, I'm not really 'Nimori Harada'-Just a memory of him, but this is the closest it ge-"

Without warning, an ...Apparition? A strange figure composed out of many overlapping, translucent figures, shapes and forms appeared next to Nimori Harada. It looked vaguely familiar, and Moroe would be able to make out the shape of a child being overlaid more strongly over the others. When it spoke, however, its' voice left no doubt as to its' identity.

"Father, who is she? She looks ...Familiar..."

It was Nimori Shougo; and in contrast to the clearness of his fathers' image, Shougo did not appear to know who he really was. Still, it pressed two fingers to its' forehead as if deep in thought-A habit of his that Moroe might or might not have noticed.

"This is ....This is..."

'Nimori Harada' frowned momentarily, not knowing Moroes' name entirely either-How could he, being but a memory of Shougos'? Nevertheless, his wild, untamed grin shortly reappeared, and he clapped 'Shougo' forcefully on the shoulder.

"She's a very important friend of yours, Shougo-kun! Don't worry, her name will come to you eventually! She has important things she has to do here, though-You don't wanna hold her up too much, do you?"

"No-but father, I don't like other people walking around in here..."

'Nimori Harada' placed a hand on Shougos' shoulder to lead him to the center of the room.

"Don't worry, my boy! Just trust her. And if you don't trust her, trust me!"

"If you say so, father...I know her face, though!...I know her face..."

"I told you not to worry, my boy! Let's not bother her for now, shall we? Tell you what; let's spar for a bit. I'm sure her name'll come back to you if you put your heart and soul and back into it!"

"Okay."

He took a deep breath, settling into a fighting stance. Opposite him, his father also stepped into a fighting stance, albeit far more relaxedly than his son.

"Let's begin."

The two then began to spar-Shougo always getting the worse end of the deal although he did not appear to actually get hurt. Simply put, Nimori Harada, if Shougos' memories were anything to go by, was a truly formidable martial artist. Shougo was good, yes, but even he was totally unable to even land a single blow on his father, who moved with such speed and grace that it would not be too difficult to believe that he could, in fact, defeat cocky level three Espers who thought they were facing just another brawler.

This left Moroe the freedom to reorganise Shougos' memories-Full of memories of love, honor and duty for the most part, although they were usually tinged with powerful feelings of inadequacy. As she approached the 'current', it would be clear that Shougo never took his family for granted and his ties to them were incredibly strong. Likewise, his anger at Daisuke when he took that away from him was equally strong-Burning fiercely enough, perhaps, to nearly take Moroe off-guard with its' vehemence. If she had bothered to look at Shougo and his father as she did so, she might have been aware of Shougos' form-The form that most resembled his current, physical state, that is, growing clearer and clearer as more of his memories were set in their proper place.

As Moroe neared the end of the shelf, which presumably contained Shougos' most recent memories, however, she would most certainly be taken aback by the clarity of Shougos' memories of her-The scroll already sitting slightly ajar on the shelf would have produced a nearly overwhelmingly vivid image of her face and her voice, if not of her name-Nearly on the same level as the memories of his father. Similarly, the scattered scrolls on the ground recalled their time together with incredible intensity; she virtually stood out in technicolor amidst the normally muted colors of Shougos' perception. He adored and admired her greatly: that much was clear. And even through the agony of Daisukes' near-fatal beating, Shougos' thoughts at the time were focused almost entirely on one thing-her. Silently, he was praying for her safety, even as the bludgeoning he was taking shattered bones and ruptured organs, sending him spiraling in and out of consciousness. The sense of relief he had in hearing her voice at the end was overwhelming, even as he slipped into what he was sure was death, his greatest real regret being that he would leave his mother behind.

Which begs the question; with all these memories in her hands, so different from her own-What does Ishimaru Moroe do now?

__________________________________________________ _______________

Mei froze in her seat when Ren reappeared behind them all, the words she had planned to say to him upon his return stuck in her throat. Despite the fact that she had rehearsed them again and again in her head, she simply couldn't force them out, and even though she castigated herself mentally, again and again, her rebellious vocal cords simply refused to obey.

A simple 'Thank you for saving Kouta-nii, Ren!', but she couldn't even say that.

She turned to Tobio for help with despairing eyes.
    Last edited by Lord-Cao-Cao; 2012-06-19 at 08:27 AM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

Mami

"That may need to wait Mr. Shirogane." the pleasant comes from an older looking woman, older in that she obviously wasn't a student at one of the schools, who crosses across the lobby with a smile on her face, thin glasses perched on the edge of her noise and wearing a smart looking suit and gloves. She just has an air of authority about her as she approaches, carrying a manila folder in her right hand, extending her left.

"You...are Shirogane Ren, correct? The Judgment kid who reported to Anti-Skill that they were going to investigate the unfortunate incident at the hospital?" She asks cordially before brushing a strand of brunette hair back from her face, "My name is Mami, I work with MAR in profiling public incidents of distress to determine the sources and possible causes of them. Currently I'm investigating what happened within one...Shougu's room and need eye witness accounts. Do you have a minute?"

I hate this part of the job. I [b]know what happened, the security feeds and interrogation report were quite clear. Still...I can't leave any stone unturned at this point. They want me to clean up GEAR's mess and I'll do it.[/I] She thinks to herself, her ire never once mussing the polite exterior she presents to Ren. After all, wasn't his fault that she was here, he was just an unfortunate bystander who happened to have a tie with Academy City's own student volunteer civil service squad, which meant this task required some delicacy.

Spoiler
    Show
    A very good idea of just what Mami looks like.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

22. - Top - End - #52
    Atrum-Persavor
    Guest in the Playground

"You mean Nimori Shougo. And I do believe everything is within the Anti-Skill log. Nonetheless, I'll come. Although, it's nearing curfew time, so this had better be quick."

Ren stands up, dusting off his jacket before shaking Mami's hand.

"Jin, help me contact Yoroi and see if he can help." Ren turns to leave, following Mami.
    Last edited by Atrum-Persavor; 2012-06-19 at 12:39 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

Moroe had to take breaks far more often now. It was becoming so easy to get lost in Shougo's memories of life with his family. She could honestly have stayed here for hours, had she had the option, just soaking in those warm feelings, or even just watching the phantoms of Shougo and his father. The only thing that detracted from it was the strange undercurrent of inadequacy which tinged so many of these scrolls. She still couldn't understand why an amazing person like Shougo would feel that way about himself.

But eventually the good times came to an end. After what seemed to her like a lifetime of happiness, she reached Mr Nimori's murder. From then on, the work sped up considerably. She had no desire to linger on these scrolls for an instant longer than was necessary. It was surprising how foreign those feelings of anger were to her. She'd felt anger that strong before, but never been angry in that way; Never felt the rage of having something so important taken away forever. When she at last approached the present, It was with some relief. Now all that was left were the few days that she and Shougo had spent together. Surely there would be no more surprises here.

Wrong. It turned out that the shock waiting for her in these last shelves was the biggest one of them all. When she picked up that first fateful 'Moroe scroll', it was all she could do not to drop it. And once she stood staring at an almost complete shelf of them, their message was undeniable.

"Oh kami he loves me...

...and I love him.
    "

There was no escaping this truth any longer. She'd done her best to hide from it, but now it had finally caught up. She loved Nimori Shougo. There was no doubt in her mind that, if their positions were reversed, her memories of him would be just as vivid as these. But more than that, she now knew the true extent of his feelings for her. This wasn't a mere crush, or simple gratitude; It was unimaginably deeper than that, like comparing a pond to an ocean. It was something for which she'd been waiting her entire life.

"I was wrong. This is worth fighting for. We can make it work. I don't know how yet, but we'll find a way, even if means climbing to the top of that black tower and ramming a gun straight down the Director's throat. This feeling is worth the risk. I know that if Shougo was in my mind instead, he'd be thinking the exact...same..."

No he wouldn't. If Shougo was inside her mind, he wouldn't be doing that at all. In a moment of revelation that felt like a punch to the gut, Moroe knew what he'd be doing instead: He'd be screaming. He'd be cursing the day that he ever fell in love with such an irredeemable, murderous coward. The core of Shougo's soul was something she admired above all else; The core of her soul spat in the face of everything that Mr Nimori had died to protect. In that moment, Moroe knew what needed to be done.

She turned away from the shelves, and fixed her gaze upon the phantom of Shougo. She called out to him, with a voice that was on the verge of breaking.

"Goodbye."

Behind her, the scrolls began to disintegrate.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

Mami

"Reports can be deceptive. Twisted by bias, exclusion of minor details due to perceived irrelevance, or even edited by concerned parties looking to protect their interests." Mami says crisply, keeping things professional and cold. The kid has been through a lot after all, if she held everything against him then he would be in far greater trouble then he probably already was. He didn't need someone pretending to be his friend right now.

"Even eyewitness accounts aren't entirely reliable, but combined with other evidence an investigator can begin to put together an idea of what really transpired. You're the first on my list, I figured it best to give the other kids who got involved in that regrettable mess time to recover." She mentions off-hand only guiding Ren a little ways off to talk to him, "Just tell me everything you can remember and I can get out of your hair so you can get back to your girlfriend."
    Last edited by Callos_DeTerran; 2012-06-19 at 01:02 PM.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

25. - Top - End - #55
    Atrum-Persavor
    Guest in the Playground

"I'm afraid without any direction, all you're going to get is a carbon copy of the report I submitted. So, if you need any extra details you'll need to ask."
    Ren folds his left arm under his right and rubs his chin.

"So, what do you need to know? Other than what's already in the report."
    Last edited by Atrum-Persavor; 2012-06-20 at 01:45 AM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Pixie in the Playground

The world around Moroe seemed to grind to a halt as she caused those scrolls containing the memories of her to disintegrate, her actions inexplicably causing a near-gale to spontaneously burst into being. The floor shook; the very eaves of the building roared. Mr Nimori suddenly disappeared mid-strike, leaving only a confused Shougo staring at her in a world that had altogether become much more grey. Dimly, Moroe would be able to hear Jounouchi mentally yelling at her, his voice barely audible over the cacophony and what was likely her shock.

["What's going on in there!? I'm going to pull you out, his mind's going crazy!"]

Moroes' world began to fade, then-But to her, faced with a bewildered Shougo looking at her straight in the eye, tears forming in his own for reasons that he himself was quickly forgetting, it probably seemed to take forever.

"I...Ishimar-......"

He couldn't finish it-The memory of her no longer remained, and so he continued to stare at the girl who was so hauntingly, beautifully familiar to him as she vanished from his life.

Above them, the brightest, purest star in Shougos' sky winked out of existence.

When Moroe returned to the waking world, she'd have realised that she had, in fact, passed out face-down on Shougos' bed. Next to her, Jounouchi, whose hand she was still holding, was both pale in the face and breathing heavily as though he'd gone through some great terror. On the bed, Shougo turned his head suddenly, his face stretched in what appeared to be pain before relaxing in the peace of sleep; real sleep, not the confused torpor that he was in just moments before. Seeing this, Jounouchi turned to her, struggling to master his rapid breathing.

"W...What happened in there...? I tried calling out to you, but you didn't respond. Did you...."

All eyes in the room were on her, then-All hopeful, in varying amounts. Mrs Nimori in particular was watching for her response with bated breath, hoping, wishing, praying that her son would finally be returned to her.
    Last edited by Lord-Cao-Cao; 2012-06-19 at 01:05 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

That face was going to haunt Moroe for the rest of her life. Those crying eyes were the spectre of a decision which she already knew was never going to feel right. All she could do, as the world collapsed around her, was to repeat the cold, logical justifications which had caused it, like some sort of mantra: 'The lesser of two evils'; 'Thinking of the big picture'; 'Saving his future'. None of them did anything to soothe the pain, even though she agreed with every one. Logic wasn't going to make this feeling go away; Perhaps nothing would.

Moroe awoke with her ears still ringing. She quickly rose from the bed, surprised by how easy it was. She'd expected every movement to be like lifting lead weights. But no, the weariness she felt was purely a product of the mind. She surveyed the surroundings and beheld a circle of expectant faces, all awaiting the same thing. They all felt so distant. Jounouchi's questions had been drowned out by the ringing, but she answered them anyway, in a cold and clinical voice which sounded like an autopsy report.

"Mission accomplished. Everything's back in place, with one exception: His memories of me are gone. For reasons I'd rather not get into, I'd like to keep it that way. Just let him forget me."

This completed, she walked straight out of the room, as if there was nothing more to say. She didn't need to tell her feet where to go; They were headed for home.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Looking at Mei he smiles as her and nods in understanding while putting a comforting hand. Before Mami arrived he looked towards Ren and said, "Thank your for saving Shougo-san and Ishimaru-sempai Ren-taichou. Also Mei is a little tongue tied from relief but she really wants to thank you for saving Kouta-san as well."

He then smiles mischievously as he says, " However if you really need to relax then the perfect way to do so would be too..."

It was then that Mami came in and spoke to Ren. In the presence of another beautiful example of the female gender, this time a woman, Tobio's shyness and blush came back full strength as his face turned completely red. If Mei was watching instead of hiding mortification she might feel the need to place a palm to her face in exasperation. A-A-Ano M-Mami-san, w-why i-is such a-a thing n-n-necessary? W-wouldnt't t-the r-reports from the security a-and footage b-be e-enough? P-P-Plus if i-it w-was r-really t-that i-important w-wouldn't i-it be m-more p-prudent t-to a-ask M-Mrs. N-Nimori? R-Ren-taichou o-only s-showed up a-about halfway t-though the s-scene, a-at least t-that i-is what I-I gathered. W-Wouldn't b-be b-better i-if you a-asked someone who was t-there at the b-beginning?"

While he says this he looks down toward the floor twirling a thick lock of his hair in front of his face.

((OOC: Sorry I had started this post this morning and then I crashed in the middle of writing it. So if I need to edit it please tell me and I can have Tobio say this after Mami shows up I guess.))

__________________________________________________ _____________

Ryuji comes up from his bow and shakes Krystal's hand. Hearing her and Katsu's converation he chuckles a little as he says, "Well it soundd like you wish to live quite the exciting life. Of course considering this is academy city your wish may very well come true. Although that excitement might not always be a good thing."

Ringo grins to herself as she spins in a little circle causing the thin girls hair to flutter around her as she says, "It would be interesting to fight a giant robot. It wouldn't have a chance against me but it would be interesting."
    Last edited by AnimeKid; 2012-06-19 at 08:37 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Pixie in the Playground

The room was silent as Moroe left, quiet confusion reigning in the minds of her audience. All of them were wondering the same questions from different viewpoints; what had happened in there, and why? Jounouchi wondered what exactly had transpired in there; he had felt the incredibly powerful emotions present in Moroes' foray through Shougos' mind resonating even through the muffled psychic bond he shared with her. Mrs Nimori was wondering why exactly Moroe did what she did, after all the trouble she had gone through for Shougo. And Fumiko was wondering why Moroe would do that to herself; when to her, it was so painfully obvious how she felt about Shougo. Nevertheless, none of them barred her exit, although she'd have been able to hear Jounouchi comment on how Shougo would probably be awake 'in a couple of hours' on her way out, heaving a sigh of exhaustion in the process-After all, it was getting late, and it had been a rather long day.

Mei glanced at Tobio gratefully (if a little embarrassedly), thankful for him being able to say the things that she had meant to say but was unable to. Of course, her face reddened as he continued and she once again had to suppress the reflexive urge to blast him through the window. What was he suggesting!? She'd never...

Of course, her thoughts were similarly interrupted by Mamis' arrival, instantly recognising her authority by the way she stood and acted. Of course, she couldn't identify any official signs of authority, but Mei fancied that she knew Academy City well enough to know that it was often their most powerful agents who went around unmarked.

Of course, her face blushed bright red when Mami finished her final sentence, the implications-No! Her outright statement sending her noisily vaulting out of her chair to face her.

"I...I am not the dumbasses' girlfriend!"

The room was utterly silent as she declared this out loud, the only sound audible shortly afterwards being a muffled 'oops' followed by Mei slumping back down in her chair as though she was trying to disappear into it, the sound of the beads in her hair clacking against each other as she did so altogether too loud for her liking.
    Last edited by Lord-Cao-Cao; 2012-06-20 at 10:04 AM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

Moroe didn't look back; She didn't even seem to look ahead. She simply walked mechanically through the hospital corridors; Then she left the building altogether, out the clear, sliding doors; Then she walked down the darkened street, now clear of crowds and watchers; Then across roads and byways, through alleys and passages, until she reached her home; Then she let herself into the cold, draughty workshop, and closed the door behind her.

And then she screamed.
    Last edited by Anyr; 2012-06-20 at 10:53 AM.