New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: A Time of Need [D&D 3.5] (IC)

Kimberly smiles and snapped her fingers. "And don't forget about me. You've accused me as well, so I'd be on his side. Bul too." She pulled the heavy crossbow from behind her back and aimed it at the leader. "And from the looks of it, this is getting to be a pretty even fight so far."
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

IC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Huh?" She looks around momentarily before picking up the coin, before her eyes widen in shock and horror, "It's Kezzerax!"

The other patrons begin to murmur amongst themselves, and slowly, you see their faces contort into angry snarls as they begin to close in on the three men.

Sensing danger, the leader cries out, "People of Goldhaven, hear my plea! Does it matter who we serve? We are all men and women of Tyria! It may be so that we serve a dragon lord, but who was it that cared enough to send royal guardsmen to investigate the disappearance of your beloved leader? And who was it that even after a fortnight, ignored your plea for help? Kezzerax was the one who showed you compassion, while the Etryan nobles sat behind their walls, unwilling to affiliate themselves with humbler folk. And look at these men, these vile criminals who would dare to threaten your rescuers so? Did you think it coincidence that the times of their arrivals were so close to that of the Silversuns' deaths? How often is it that 4 armed men, all unaffiliated with each other, come to Goldhaven within a week of each other?
    And behold this man in front of you, so willing to shed the blood of fellow Tyrians..."

"You always did talk too much." You see a long, wiry man standing in the doorway. He is tall and lanky, as if someone had grabbed his ankles and hands and had simply pulled them, trying to rip him apart. His hair is stretched back in a pony tail, pulling the skin taut across his face, which only adds to his skeletal appearance. His hair is long and black, in stark contrast to his pasty skin. At his side, he carries a longsword, with a ruby embedded in its hilt. He is dressed simply, in traveler's garb, although he is (tastefully) adorned with a few bits of simple jewelry. But emblazoned upon his tunic, you see a blue dragon's head, the symbol of Kezzerax.
    In each of his hands, he carries a flask filled with a clear liquid. Almost lazily, he tosses them up in the air, before they come crashing down on the wooden floor. The tavern bursts into flame, spilled ale combusting and broken glass flying across the room.
    Cries of pain and terror overwhelm you. Everybody crowds towards the stage, a wall of fire blocking the only exit. Several men try futilely to crawl through the windows, you hear wailing as Thera begins to cry and the crashing of glass hitting the ground as tables are knocked over in a rush to escape from the flames.
    "Father! Help us!" You hear Thera cry out towards the bartender; you see the corners of his mouth turn upwards, as he attempts a smile, but his face simply contorts into an evil grimace.
    "Help you? Stupid wench, can't even tell who your father is, why would I help you?" He pulls out a crossbow from underneath the bar and shoots a bolt into her chest, and then turns to leave the inn. He reaches into his pocket and pulls out a potion. "See you in the afterlife," he waves his hand goodbye as he makes his exit. The three goons in front of you look at each other before fumbling at their pouches.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'll have a (very bad) map up soon (hopefully). I'm just using an excel spreadsheet, so bear with me (sorry). In the meantime, know that the inn is roughly 30x40 feet, with the door in the corner. The stage is in the corner furthest from the door and covers a 10x5 area. The bar is on the wall opposite the stage and is about the same size. Behind the bar is a large amount of alcohol and a door, although this is probably only to a small storage space.

There are about two dozen people inside the tavern right now, a few of which are rolling desperately to put out the flames. Some are (futilely) trying to beat out the flames with their cloaks (alchemical fire is hard to stifle), while others are cowering against the wall, praying desperately in their time of need.

If you would like to do anything while everything is going on around you, just say the word, and the actions of the NPCs affected will change accordingly. There's a lot that just went down, and I'd like to give you the chance to do something in the events culminating up to the present's chaotic state.

Also, relatively unimportant note: There were no typos in my last post. The information you get if you find the hint is irrelevant, although it does add a little bit to unimportant IC knowledge. Kudos if you find it, there isn't really another incentive.
    Last edited by Jukebox Hero; 2012-06-14 at 09:23 PM.

Here, have a smile:

Games I'm running:
    City of Thorns
    A Time of Need

Note: I may not be posting everyday, due to real life problems.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Things in the tavern turned even more tense as the realization these brutes were connected to a Dragon sunk in. But even as the leader of the thugs attempted to gain control of the situation, a new player stepped in and with two small vials threw the room into chaos.

Twin explosions knocked people down, flinging liquid flame across tables, chairs and patrons. In the screaming and commotion, Galarial saw the members of the brute squad frozen for a moment, while people stormed the exits. Across the room, Thera was screaming something, but it was lost in the noise and confusion. He did note the bartender drawing forth a weapon, however, and taking aim at the girl, an evil rictus gripping his face.

The time for indecision gone, Galarial jumped up and moved to aid the girl as best he could.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20+3)[13].
    Move action to get within striking distance of the barkeep.
    Standard action to attack with Stunning Fist
    Spoiler
    Show
    Attack roll: (1d20+4)[9]
    If successful, damages: (1d6+3)[4] and Fort save vs DC 12 for Stunning Fist

(Whiff and a miss, I'm guessing!)

If Galarial is unable to get into position to attack, his second priority would be to get to the girl and knock her out of the way.

If he is unable to do either of those things (too many attacks of opportunities, can't make it through the crowds, etc), then he will flurry one of the men next to him with his staff.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Attack #1: (1d20+2)[4]
    Damage #1: (1d6+4)[6]
    (Guessing a miss, too!)
    Attack #2: (1d20+2)[13] (This one we'll see, I suppose)
    Damage #2: (1d6+4)[8]

Sorry if that's too many caveats, but I figure more information is better than less ... that way you can progress no matter what the answer. I hope
    Last edited by Starbin; 2012-06-14 at 09:52 PM.
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Kim's Initiative: (1d20+2)[22]
    Bul's Initiative: (1d20-1)[8]

At Kimberly's mental command, Bulwark slams the ground with a foot, sending out a shockwave just to the area around the enemies.

Nonlethal Damage: (2d4)[3]

Spoiler
    Show
    Bulwark is manifesting Stomp as a psi-like ability. If he can make it less than 20 feet of cone, then he does and makes it so that it'll affect the enemies only. If not, tough luck for others.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your foot stomp precipitates a psychokinetic shock wave that travels along the ground, toppling creatures and loose objects. The shock wave affects only creatures standing on the ground within the power’s area. Creatures that fail their saves are thrown to the ground, become prone, and take 1d4 points of nonlethal damage.
    Augment: For every additional power point you spend, this power’s nonlethal damage increases by 1d4 points.

Kimberly sent out a message to Bulwark to deal with them as she ran over to Thera, moving faster than a normal human would. (40 feet per move action due to being focused and Speed of Thought.) She knelt by her side, as Bulwark moved to block off access to her position, and tried to patch up the crossbow wound and the like.

Heal: (1d20+1)[10]
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

Fire, fire everywhere. Renalto's eyes widened at the chaos that ensued, the townsfolk screaming, the tavern burning and the twang of a crossbolt.
    Renalto turns his head toward the noise, seeing the barkeeper's bolt pierce Thera's chest before the man announces his false identity.
    Alternatively:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The elf that the three men had been accosting earlier sprung into action, dashing towards Thera and pushes her out of the trajectory of the bolt.

Renalto hears the thump of bodies hitting the floor. His eyes lock with the would-be bartender, his lips curling in anger and charges at Thera's assailant as he tries to flee the burning tavern.

Combat:
    Initiative: (1d20+1)[16]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Initiate Charge, then Bull Rush the bartender into the door frame.
    Strength Check: (1d20+5)[13]

If there are less than 10 feet or obstructions in the path:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lethal Attack with Greatsword: (1d20+6)[11]
    Damage: (2d6+3)[11]

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

The elf bursts into action, fists flying, one managing to connect with one of the men's chins, knocking him out cold. The flames lick hungrily at his boots as Renalto charges through them towards the bartender, his sword opening a large gash in his side. The woman with the elemental races to Thera's side, ripping the bolt out of her chest and struggling to stop the flow of blood. The men draw their weapons and move into position. Both men swing their weapons, but fail to connect with the wiry figure in front of them, momentarily knocked off balance by the elemental's stomp. Both now have potions in their spare hands, identical to the one the bartender just swallowed. The bartender dives away from the building, tumbling away from danger before reloading his weapon.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Renalto takes 1 point of fire damage, Thera's still dying, and the bartender's now sporting a large wound. Also, Renalto, roll a reflex save.

@Renalto:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Now standing in the doorframe, you see outside, about a dozen more men, similarly dressed to the arsonist, some of them forcing women and children onto a pair of wagons. One of the children lands a kick on one of the men's face, and is promptly punished with a strike on the cheek. They seem to be paying the burning building little heed, and it is obvious that they see you as little threat. Why should they? After all, you're outnumbered, at least 13-to-1 (including the bartender). You hear crying, pleas for help from the covered wagons, as the invaders continue their work. You hear over the screams of pain, the cries of help, the roar of the flames behind youtwo of the soldiers closest to you,
    "Where're Willem and Thom?" one asks, yelling over the din.
    "They're...struggling...trapper's family," comes the equally loud reply.
    "Go...hurry up!" With that, he draws his weapon and advances towards you while his companion runs off towards the trapper's home.
    Last edited by Jukebox Hero; 2012-06-14 at 11:03 PM.

Here, have a smile:

Games I'm running:
    City of Thorns
    A Time of Need

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

Reflex Save: (1d20+1)[19]
    OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure how I format reactionary checks o.O
    Edit: Dang it, I hit the wrong button

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Kimberly is alerted of the potions by Bulwark and is told to burst them. He summons up a bit of sound and punches in their direction, sending a shockwave through the air.

Attack: (1d20+2)[5]
    Damage: (2d6-2)[6]
    Target: One of the potions. The one that's easier to hit or that is in the way of one of the people. The sonic wave ignores hardness.

---

If the shockwave hits the potion or else sets the person on fire, then Kimberly stays down and tries to patch the girl up again.

(1d20+1)[7]

---

If the shockwave doesn't get the person on fire, Kimberly stands up and does her own, except she launches a blast of fire.

Attack: (1d20+3)[7]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[2]
    Target: Same as Bulwark.

Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure what these are, but vials have an AC of 13, 1 hit point, and 1 hardness.

Spoiler
    Show
    Those were all low rolls. That's a wasted turn for Kim.
    Last edited by Linguz; 2012-06-14 at 10:57 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

Blood lept from the barkeep's wound as Renalto's greatsword connected with the man's side. Renalto strides away from the burning wreckage and towards the scrambling bartender.
    He sees that the townsfolk are being rounded up into a couple of wagons, with about a dozen guards overseeing the kidnapping.

Tyr protect us...
    Renalto turns around and bellows out in the strongest voice he can muster:
    The other townsfolk are being taken away, we need to protect them!

Still approaching the bartender, Renalto tries again to cut him down.
    The blood of the innocent are on your hands!

Smite Evil: (1d20+8)[20]
    Damage: (2d6+4)[12]
    Last edited by Ballista; 2012-06-14 at 11:18 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Halfling in the Playground

At the mention of "racial inferiority," Synec puts his hand to his rapier and, like the others, begins to advance on the servants of the dragons. Before he can even draw his blade, however, the interloper appears and ignites the tavern, distracting Synec. In the aftermath of the attack, however, Synec turns to the two remaining of the group that had accused him and advances. "Oh no," he says with a grin, waving his hand as they draw their weapons, "you're not going anywhere." He whispers a harsh Draconic word, and, with a flick of his wrist, a burst of color explodes from his palm into the eyes of his enemies.

Initiative: (1d20+3)[4]

Spoiler
    Show
    Cast Color Spray, attempting to hit only the two enemies and not Galarial.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Galarial turned to face the remaining thugs gathered around him. With Renalto's shout of the townspeople being taken, he frowned at the thugs."It is apparent you always meant for this to end in violence. Very well ... you shall reap what you sow."

Stepping forward, he attack again, this time his staff sweeping out in two quick blows.

Spoiler
    Show
    Full Round - Flurry of blows w/staff. Both attacks will be against the second 'henchman' ... if the first blow knocks him out, then Galarial will attack the leader with the second. Added damage to rolls, assuming these guys are human!

Attack 1: (1d20+3)[12]
    Dam 1: (1d6+6)[11]
    Attack 2: (1d20+3)[6]
    Dam 2: (1d6+6)[10]

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

You see the "racially inferior" being raise his hands, and speak in garbled tongue. With a final thrust, a burst of colors spray from his hands, hitting the two men. One falls unconscious, while the leader remains standing. The elf swings his staff wildly, and the ends whiff through the air. Two bolts fire from the female caster's direction, but land harmlessly in the wall.
    "Look at what you have done?! Such needless destruction could have been avoided had you simply accepted your fate!"
    The remaining foe makes a tactical retreat, heading towards the doorway, quaffing his potion as he does so, towards the last man to...where'd he go?
    Then, you hear his cry from beyond the doorway, "The other townsfolk are being taken away, we need to protect them!"

@Renalto:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You charge at the foe, and you feel your sword crunch through his bones, and embed itself deep within his chest, blooded blade protruding from his back.
    "Hey! We got a troublemaker! Help!" You see the man in front of you cry out, his face contorted in fear. He raises his mace in front of him with a shaky hand, adopting a defensive stance. You see in the darkness, more figures coming this way, as the last of the citizens are loaded onto the wagons.
    Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: You will probably die unless you retreat. Don't be stupid. I like your character, and everybody else's. But feel free to try to save them, I mean, the last time I ran this, they actually managed to save some (3) people.

@Starbin:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Galarial gets an AoO

Here, have a smile:

Games I'm running:
    City of Thorns
    A Time of Need

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Galarial's wild swings did little to bother the leader, but when the man turned to move the elf found a potential opening.

Spoiler
    Show
    AOO: (1d20+5)[23]
    Damage: (1d6+6)[10]

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Your third attack finds its mark, landing a resounding blow on the man's skull, and you hear the satisfying crack of wood against bone.

Here, have a smile:

Games I'm running:
    City of Thorns
    A Time of Need

15. - Top - End - #45
    Orc in the Playground

Seeing the approaching shadows, Renalto is overcome with a feeling of impending dread.
    None of the other have escaped from the tavern as of yet...

Without much thinking, Renalto whistles loudly; hoping to call his steed to him.
    Come Tarcona, in my time of need...

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Just saying, but I'm calling my horse...
    Last edited by Ballista; 2012-06-16 at 11:03 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Kimberly again tries to dress the wounds. (1d20+1)[14]

Bulwark looks around and looks for any approaching fire.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

@Linguz:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You apply pressure on the wound, and blood pulses out with renewed vigor. You're doing something wrong and this woman in front of you is slipping away, her tenuous grasp on life becoming yet weaker, with you helpless to stop it.

Here, have a smile:

Games I'm running:
    City of Thorns
    A Time of Need

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

(OOC - assuming the leader is still standing)

Galarial moved to follow the brute leader, his staff whirling in front of him. "You have called for violence ... stand and recieve your due ..."

Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure, but guessing G has to move to attack, so
    Move Action: Close with Leader (40 ft move available)
    Standard Action: Attack w/Q. staff
    Att: (1d20+5)[10] / Dam: (1d6+6)[9]

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Bulwark turns back and throws his backpack down to Kim. Take it, we have to go. She grabbed onto it as he lifted the girl up and both headed towards the outside. Bulwark went around the flames, even if it took him more time. Kim followed along with him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Standard: Changed to Move, lifted the girl.
    Move: Both moved towards the door. Probably 20 feet for Bulwark, if she weighs more than 57 pounds.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50

Synec growls in frustration, rolling up his sleeves as he gives chase to the leader of the group. "Stay!" he shouts at his target, his fingers twisting in intricate patterns in the air before him. With another harsh Draconic phrase, he points at the escaping foe, and the air before him seems to ripple.

Spoiler
    Show
    Synec moves as close as he can to the line of fire and casts Sleep on the area around the escaping villain. Again, I'm so sorry for making everyone wait.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

(Since I can't get through without burning...)

Seeing no way out that wouldn't result in burning, Bulwark went up to the wall and punched it.
    Attack: (1d20+6)[13] (AC of the wall should be 5... maybe lower.)
    Damage: (1d4+3)[5]

Spoiler
    Show
    According to the DMG, a wooden section of 10' by 10' is 60 health, but he's trying to break down a 5' wide and 10' high section. Also, break DC is 20.
    Last edited by Linguz; 2012-06-19 at 09:25 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

The goblin draws closer to the flames, his small frame almost invisible behind them. Speaking draconic words of power, you see an invisible force ripple forth from his hands, washing over the retreating villain. You see his eyelids begin to droop, an expression of horror forming on his face; he drops to the ground, flames licking hungrily at his feet.
    Only several meters away, the elemental begins hitting the wall, but to no avail. Its fist bounces off the wall harmlessly, but causes a piece of wood to fall from the cieling and come crashing down only a few feet from where it stands.

OOC @Linguz
    Spoiler
    Show
    You don't need to post the rules associated with all your actions. If I'm not sure about them, I don't mind looking them up myself. I find that the more rules are mentioned, the more it detracts from the game. Thanks.

Here, have a smile:

Games I'm running:
    City of Thorns
    A Time of Need

23. - Top - End - #53
    Orc in the Playground

Renalto sees the black silhouette of his warhorse, Tarcona, fly out of the shadows cast by the burning tavern.
    There you are, my old friend... Come, we have work to do.
    He gives Tarcona a pat on her haunch and mounts the light warhorse.

Turning Tarcona, Renalto comes to face the man before him, raising his sword at the guard:
    You will pay for the pain you have caused, the gods will have their vengeance. But not today.

If I cannot save those that have been captured, pehaps I can rescue those that burn within the inn...

With that, Renalto rides off behind the the tavern. [M|N,2|3]

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

The men outside give little heed to Renalto's challenge, and proceed with their work, perhaps with a little more caution than before. "Alright, that's it. This one can go ahead first, the second can catch up once Thom and Willem get that woman under control."
    Several guards pile onto one of the wagons and with the crack of a whip, the wagon is off, rolling away into the night.

Here, have a smile:

Games I'm running:
    City of Thorns
    A Time of Need

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Glancing around the inn, Galarial tried to flip a couple of tables on top of the flames, to create mini-bridges for the huddling masses to use to escape.

"Rise and run, citizens. Cowering will only net you a slow, burning death ..."

Without checking to see if they follow his directions, the elf moved to the doorway cautiously and peered out to assess the situation.

Spoiler
    Show
    Figure that is enough for a turn ... checking to see what's going on out here.
    Spot: (1d20+7)[24]
    Listen: (1d20+7)[22]

26. - Top - End - #56

"Good boy." A grin spreads across Synec's face as his target collapses, but vanishes as he scans the area for another escape route. Taking a deep breath, he steels himself, then lowers his head as he charges through the fire towards the door.

Spoiler
    Show
    This isn't a complete action, but I need to know if Synec is going to catch fire before I can decide where he'll move and what he'll do.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

@Galarial:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You land a pair of large tables onto the flames, and succeed in your goal...The tables hit the flames with a loud bang and bits of flaming oil splash around the area, dotting the floor with bits of fire. The flames lick at the table's edges hungrily; your impromptu bridge across the fire holds, but it won't for long.You see the town outside, the perpetrator of the whole mess nowhere to be seen. You see a group of men surrounding a cart, and three men struggling to drag a kicking, screaming, bleeding woman in its direction. Another guard lugs an unconscious kid after them.

@Synec:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You dash through the flames, and it seems Kossuth has looked favorably upon you today, for the fire, although it licks at your feet, does not grab hold of you.
    Last edited by Jukebox Hero; 2012-07-01 at 06:26 PM.

Here, have a smile:

Games I'm running:
    City of Thorns
    A Time of Need

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Kim again tries to heal the girl, while Bulwark looks up and considers the risk of breaking through the wall. He grits his teeth and goes again to the wall, trying to break it with sheer strength alone.

Spoiler
    Show
    Heal: (1d20+1)[16]
    Strength: (1d20+3)[9]
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

The girl begins to breathe easier, and it slows down to a barely audible level, but she's alive (and relatively well). Bulwark...doesn't fare as well in his task, succeeding only in making loud bangs, and scaring the still huddled patrons, trapped by the flames.

Here, have a smile:

Games I'm running:
    City of Thorns
    A Time of Need

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Standing at the door, Galarial stared at the hell that the outside had become. Glancing back at the citizens, he pointed to the makeshift bridge, waving for them to use it before it was destroyed.

Seeing the goblin had made it through the flames, he motioned for the shorter man to come over. "Friend goblin, have you any more magiks to fell this bastiches? They wreak havoc on this town ... a crime that we cannot watch continue."

Reaching back for his longbow, Galarial drew an arrow back in one smooth move and fired one of the three men struggling with the women. "Let us see how strong your convictions are ..."

Spoiler
    Show
    I know G goes after the men, but my intent is to disrupt the men dragging the women, if they are still there.
    Move action to draw weapon; standard action to fire: (1d20+0)[14] (if they count as in melee; if not, add +4).
    Damage: (1d8+3)[8]