New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Nobilis

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Nobilis

If I was to start purchasing Jenna K. Moran's Nobilis, which books should I get, and in which order should I get them?
    Thank you in advance,
    A Fan
    See when a tree falls in the forest, and there's no one there to hear it, you can bet we've bought the vinyl.
    -Snow White

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Nobilis

There isn't too many options. Assuming you're looking at 3E, you should start with the core book, A Game Of Powers. Its a highly unusual game, so you should start there to get a feel for the setting and the world, and if you like it I believe there's one additional one on Deceivers for now.

3. - Top - End - #3

I am summoned!

Nobilis is very easy to buy for, as it's essentially a one-book system. The most current book is 3e, and it has all the new rules and system bits that you'll need. Like most other Nobilis books, it's also hard to find a hard copy, but the pdf is easily available at Drivethru RPG.

Other books to look at- 2e is hard to find, but the pdf can be got online. It can be useful to elaborate on certain setting elements, but you have to keep in mind that there are a number of large and small changes between it and 3e.

The recently released Minibook 1i: A Diary of Deceivers is a splat about everyone's favorite enemies of reality, and a good read if you want to know more about their metaphysics and want formal rules on playing Deceiver PCs. I'd recommend it, but I'm also obsessed, so take that as you may. It's 3e material, unlike-

The peculiar books! 2e had two peculiar books released online for free, titled Unlikely Flowerings and Creatures Clothed in Strangeness. The first details the arts of Alchemy and High Summoning, which are alternate attributes that powers can take, and are more or less compatible with 3e (kind of. There are mechanical issues to address, and several that don't exist in 3e, but the basic ideas and structure can be adapted fairly easily.). Creatures Clothed in Strangeness gives more setting info and looks at Noble society, introducing fashion and the Accords of Babylon. Keep in mind that these books also use the 2e setting, so there are differences between 2nd & 3rd edition books.

1e is a little pink book that you probably won't find, and is of little interest unless you're a collector or really want to play 1e Nobilis, which is mechanically a more poorly organized version of the 2e book.

TL:DR- The core 3e book should suffice, but if you're looking for more, I'd recommend the Minibook 1i, and the 2e core if you can find it. I'd also check out the Elegant Discussion threads at RPG.net.
    Avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins! Three cheers and all that.

The World's Greatest (and only) Deceiver Askblog!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm conflicted, it sounds like an awesome game, and so I want there to be a lot of it. On the other hand, needing only 3 books max means I won't need to sell my blood to afford buying the collection. Thank you for the replies.
    See when a tree falls in the forest, and there's no one there to hear it, you can bet we've bought the vinyl.
    -Snow White

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by The Random NPC View Post
    I'm conflicted, it sounds like an awesome game, and so I want there to be a lot of it. On the other hand, needing only 3 books max means I won't need to sell my blood to afford buying the collection. Thank you for the replies.
    Another note on the second edition: it's out of print, so the few copies you see floating around tend to be pricey, while there's also no legal way I know of to get ahold of the pdf, so you'll have to download it from somewhere. The 3e stuff doesn't have this problem, but the core book can be tricky to find hard copies of.

It is nice to only really need one book though.
    Avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins! Three cheers and all that.

The World's Greatest (and only) Deceiver Askblog!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

As much as I think everyone on Earth should buy at least one copy of anything Jenna has written, I have to admit that you really only need the core book. Up until recently, that's pretty much all there's been for three editions.
    what I am interested in is far more complex and nuanced than something you can define in so few words.

ಠ__ಠ

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Geostationary View Post
    The recently released Minibook 1i: A Diary of Deceivers is a splat about everyone's favorite enemies of reality, and a good read if you want to know more about their metaphysics and want formal rules on playing Deceiver PCs. I'd recommend it, but I'm also obsessed, so take that as you may. It's 3e material, unlike-
    Oooh, is that a thing now? I remember hearing it was in the works, but didn't realize it had been released. Off to go find it!
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Oooh, is that a thing now? I remember hearing it was in the works, but didn't realize it had been released. Off to go find it!
    Here!
    what I am interested in is far more complex and nuanced than something you can define in so few words.

ಠ__ಠ