New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: When the Going Gets Tough IC

Talehos
    Spoiler
    Show
    Although the area is largely open, you take notice of several trees and bushes of varying size that someone could plausibly hide behind. However, the closest of examinations (that you can make from here) seem to confirm that you are alone.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Confident that they're not likely to be ambushed right now, Talehos will continue to scan the bushes.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderML View Post
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Yurhzorg is a nuclear warhead disguised as a playable character
    Much thanks to Ceika for the poketar!

I'll be away from the internet from 1/3-1/8 2019. I swear I'm not disappeared.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Lycus narrows his eyes slightly at the man's non-answer. "Depends if you are in fact, the man we seek," He says cautiously. *Sickness eat it! I wish Dmytro had given us a way to identify the man. For all I know, this guy could be an enemy!*
    Rule number 18. When surrendering, I am to hand the weapon over HILT first.

Characters

4. - Top - End - #94

The man chuckles to himself. "It is good to see one so young, so wise. Too often, I see you people just charging off into battle without second thought. But yes, I am Vasyl. Travelling merchant, trader, and good friend of Dmytro. And if I lie, may I-" he trails off for a moment. "-may I be firmly slapped across my knuckles." At this, he laughs so loudly as to shake the cart.

5. - Top - End - #95

"Let's get moving soon. The longer we're out here, the greater the chance we're ambushed. And nobody wants that."

"But what if-"

"Nobody. Wants. That."

Eliani'i crosses her arms in front of her, pouting. She turns to Vasyl and attempts to make conversation. "So where are you travelling from? Did you like it there? Why do they have enough food to trade it away?"
    Awesome Gordon Freemane Avatar by Dirtytabs

ATTENTION: Finally returning (slowly) after a hiatus. I'd rather not talk about it.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Those who post with ponies become ponies themselves.
    And if you stare too long into Equestria, Equestria stares into you.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenpotato and Aldurin
    Free action is infinite attacks a round isn't it?

You're right, it's too weak.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Savannah

Extended Signature

6. - Top - End - #96

Vasyl continues to laugh to himself for a few moments, before turning to Eliani'i. "To tell the truth, I can hardly remember myself. Would that I could spend as much time in towns as I do on the road, but it is not so." He pauses a moment to think, absent mindedly scratching his back. "I am a trader, yes, but I am not here to trade. I come to deliver my own goods this time. Not very profitable, I am fearing, but it's the least I could do for the poor fool."

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Janik clears his throat loudly, interrupting the conversation. "If it's all the same to you, I'd rather walk and talk at the same time. I don't intend to be out in this cursed heat any longer than is needed. Vasyl, if you please, get your cart moving again. I for one was sent to guard you, not make idle conversation."

Spoiler
    Show
    Hint.
    My forum avatars appear to have decomposed in my absence. C'est la vie.
    Homebrewer's Signature
    If you use any of my homebrew, or even if you just have a strong opinion on it, please let me know. Feedback is always useful.

8. - Top - End - #98

Vasyl nods. "Fair enough." he turns to the woman and mutters something, and she pulls the donkey into a slow trot, gradually accelerating to the normal walking pace of a halfling. He says nothing for a minute or two until you reach the crossroads. At this point he turns to you, his face expressionless once more. "Now, whatever Dmytro told you, he'll be paying your service, not me. I am hoping that he made this clear to you when he hired you- I have no gold on my person." He continues to speak, not waiting for an answer. "Now, that there is no misunderstandings between us, what were you hired for? Specifically?"

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ettin in the Playground

Thomas nods along at the conversation, shifting from one foot to the other and pulling on a lock of his hair occasionally. When the cart gets moving, he follows along, easily keeping up with the cart. "He sent us to keep you and your things safe until we get to the city, sir," he tells Vasyl. "He was worried about robbers and bandits and such."

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

"And don't forget the possibility of hunger-crazed people mobbing us to overstuff themselves before the food arrives." Talehos says as he approaches.
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).

11. - Top - End - #101

Vasyl nods sagely. "Indeed," he says, distaste evident on his face. "Well, hopefully we won't have to deal with that for some time more. If at all."

It seems that hope does have some power- the following hours are spent in relative peace and quiet. Although the sun steadily drops lower in the sky, the heat remains unabated. The six of you walk around the cart, occasionally exchanging small talk, as Vasyl reclines against the canvas behind him, shading his eyes. And though the lot of you keep a watchful eye out for any others along the road, you see no one.

It is nearly sunset, and by your guess you're near two miles from the city gates. The past minutes have been enveloped in a fog of silence- no words have been spoken, and the surrounding life seems to have descended into torpor. It is thus a great surprise when from ahead of you on the road issues a metallic clang and a bellow of both elephantine proportions and sacrilegious profanity. A moment later, more sounds of clashing metal are heard, and you make out the words "Stand down!" being shouted. That you can tell in a few shattered moments, the sound issues from the opposite side of a small hill some fifty feet in front of you.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Talehos will step in front of the cart and motion for it to stop. "Someone with longer legs want to pop down there and see what's going on?"

13. - Top - End - #103
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Lycus nods. "On it." He runs ahead of the cart over to the hill, quieting his footsteps as he gets close. Near the top of the hill, he crouches and peaks over the top, drawing his blade in case of trouble.

Rolls:
    Spoiler
    Show

Not sure how many are needed, but:

Spot: (1d20+5)[17]
    Listen: (1d20+5)[16]
    Move Silently: (1d20+8)[22]
    Hide: (1d20+8)[22]

That should cover everything, unless I need a balance to crouch or something.

Characters

14. - Top - End - #104

Lycus-
    Spoiler
    Show
    Perhaps thirty feet in front of you, two men armed with halberds seem to be intent on knocking third one unconscious. The unfortunate third man wears a brigandine coat and holds a longsword, with which he is frantically parrying the blows raining down upon him. Already, he seems to have suffered a painful gash across his chest (no doubt the source of the bellow you heard earlier), and you doubt that he'll be able to keep fighting for more than another twenty seconds. Once more, the larger of the two men with halberds (both of whom wear dark green tabards) growls "Stand down, damnit!" to which the cornered man gasps "never!"
    Last edited by Othesemo; 2012-06-25 at 11:10 PM.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

After waving the others closer, and after a split second of hesitation, Lycus jumps up and over the top of the hill, sprinting toward the men and shouting "Hey! What's going on here?"

Characters

16. - Top - End - #106

Lycus (and anyone else who moves to the top of the hill)
    Spoiler
    Show
    As you near the fight, the man being attacked turns to stare at you. The split second of lost focus costs him dearly, however, as the shorter of his attackers swings forth at his legs, cutting through his skin knocking him to the ground. As he issues another grunt of pain, the larger of the two men maneuvers his halberd over the grounded man's throat. Safely assured that their quarry is immobilized, they turn to you, suspicion in their eyes. "The bastard's resisting arrest," the shorter of them says to you, his voice clearly identifying him as one who has lived his life in Aldalar. "What's it to you?"

As he speaks, the man on the ground takes advantage of their momentary distraction and begins edging away from them, his hand still on his blade.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

Talehos will join his ally at the top of the hill.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Janik moves part of the way up the hill, in case anything unfortunate should happen as a result of the shouting, but he keeps his eyes on the goods to be transported. If need be, he could be in either place in the blink of an eye. While he waits for any further trouble, he spreads a hand to either side, palms outward, and a shimmering, transparent violet portal forms inches away from either hand.

Spoiler
    Show
    Form Hex Portals. Janik moves to about ten feet from the crest of the hill, but keeps the carts in sight. I figure it's best if someone keeps an eye on the goods, just in case.
    Homebrewer's Signature
    If you use any of my homebrew, or even if you just have a strong opinion on it, please let me know. Feedback is always useful.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground

Thomas remains behind, positioning himself on the far side of the cart, close to Vasyl. Someone should watch all sides. "Ready, Matt?" he asks. He pauses as if waiting for an answer, then responds "Okay, keep your eyes out," though no answer came.

20. - Top - End - #110

Wendin and Eliani'i stay by the cart. "We'll stay here. If you need help, just holler," Eliani'i calls to those on the hill.
    Awesome Gordon Freemane Avatar by Dirtytabs

ATTENTION: Finally returning (slowly) after a hiatus. I'd rather not talk about it.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Those who post with ponies become ponies themselves.
    And if you stare too long into Equestria, Equestria stares into you.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenpotato and Aldurin
    Free action is infinite attacks a round isn't it?

You're right, it's too weak.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Savannah

Extended Signature

21. - Top - End - #111
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Lycus thinks for a moment, than says, "I suppose it's nothing to me, I am just a concerned passerby. What did this guy do wrong, anyway?"

Characters

22. - Top - End - #112

People on the crest of the hill-
    Spoiler
    Show
    The man on the ground turns to look at you pleadingly, and with a shock you recognize him- the refugee who stopped you on the road some hours ago. Ignorant of their captive's recognition, the larger of the two guards speaks up. "Stealing. We've been getting reports of folks losing their goods all along this road, and here we find this foreign scum just wanderin' down it, refusing to tell us what he's doin' there. Now he won't tell us where he hid the loot, fool that he is."

As he speaks, the man on the ground slowly edges backwards, staring at you, mouthing the words 'help me.' As the larger of the guards stops talking, he yells out "Because I did nothing, damn it!" At this, he attempts to leap to his feat. The guard pinning him to the ground takes notice, however, and with an air of nonchalance, slams the end of his halberd into the man's chest. Although his armor takes the brunt of the blow, the man is winded, and falls back to the ground, his sword slipping from his grasp. The smaller guard laughs loudly. "You see?" he asks. "His words lie, but his actions speak the truth."

People by the cart-
    Spoiler
    Show
    The sound of indistinguishable conversation issues from across the hill. After nearly ten seconds of words pass, you hear a male voice, hoarse from dehydration, yell out "Because I did nothing, damn it!" This is followed by a muffled clanging sound and a barely audible 'thump.' After this, a peal of laughter- a cruel, harsh sound- cuts through the evening air.

Vasyl turns to you, an anxious look upon his face. "What is happening?" he asks nervously. "Are we being attacked?"
    Last edited by Othesemo; 2012-06-26 at 09:44 PM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

"Somehow, I highly doubt you are using proper procedure in apprehending and questioning those you think are suspicious of being a thief. Have you found anything on him which is stolen? Does he show any evidence of being a bandit beyond simply being a foreigner? If not, then perhaps I am a bandit as well. After all, you do not get more foreign than I."

24. - Top - End - #114

Crest of the hill-
    Spoiler
    Show
    The shorter of the guards snarls. "You don't joke about thieving with the guard, runt. Who else could it be? The invisible treasure pixies?" He spits on the ground. "When you've only got one suspect, you don't need proof. Just a strong arm."

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

Grimacing, Janik strides the rest of the way to the top of the hill, trailed by the two floating violet portals. He makes a placating gesture to Vasyl, then turns to see exactly what is happening to cause such a ruckus.
    Homebrewer's Signature

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Othesemo View Post
    Crest of the hill-
    Spoiler
    Show
    The shorter of the guards snarls. "You don't joke about thieving with the guard, runt. Who else could it be? The invisible treasure pixies?" He spits on the ground. "When you've only got one suspect, you don't need proof. Just a strong arm."
    "Wrong. Finding a single suspect and declaring him guilty is NOT a guardian's job. Thinking so means you are truly as stupid as you are incompetent. Still, if you think your proof is in your might of arms, then perhaps you are not too cowardly to face a small one such as me in a contest of arms. I too am as guilty of being a bandit as this man here, for all the evidence you have."

It should be noted that Talehos has no weapons on him, only a small spiked shield.

27. - Top - End - #117

Crest of the hill-
    Spoiler
    Show
    This time, both guards laugh. "You?" asks the larger guard incredulously. "You would fight us? A fairer fight would be between me and a sparrow!"

The smaller guard seems more intrigued than anything. "So, all we need do is drop you, then we carry on doing the law? Sounds easy enough."

The larger guard smiles. "Anton? I think this one just admitted to banditry. We wouldn't be doin' our duty if we just let him go, now would we?" He steps forward, grinning, his hands wrapped about his halberd. The shorter guard leans down and grabs the refugee, pulling him back a ways.

Spoiler
    Show
    Talehos (or anyone else who wants to join the fight) should roll initiative now. The guard is intent on a duel, it seems, but some are less constrained by honor than others.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

initiative - (d20+5)[18]

If Talehos goes first, he will ready an action to strike with his shield as soon as his opponent has attacked him.

shield bash - (d20+7)[15] damage - (d3+2)[3] (damage is d4+1 calculating that I reroll 1's).

If Talehos goes second, he will likely attack his opponent as above, unless such an attack would be impossible or counterproductive.

29. - Top - End - #119

Crest of the Hill-
    Spoiler
    Show
    Without warning, Talehos's opponent lunges at him, his Halberd aimed at the paladin's chest. Despite its ferocity, however, the strike flies wide, cutting through the air in the space a normal human's lung would be. As the guard staggers forward, the unexpected momentum carrying him, Talehos swings to the side, slamming his shield into the man's thigh. The single spike tears through skin and muscle, and his opponent roars in pain.

In an attempt at recovery, the man dances about the halfling, limping heavily with his injured leg. Taking advantage of Talehos' shield being displaced, he swings downward with the blade of his weapon, hoping to cut into the paladin's right arm. However, his opponent's preoccupation notwithstanding, the halberd swings to the halfling's side, embedding itself in the soft earth.
    Last edited by Othesemo; 2012-06-27 at 01:08 AM.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    um... i have improved shield bash. I don't lose my shield to ac when attacking with it.

The apparent opening nothing more than illusion, Talehos strikes again.

attack - (d20+7)[26] (d3+2)[4]

If the above hits, he ends his turn by saying "If you would like to surrender the duel and confess that you are in the wrong on this matter, I would prefer to injure you no more than necessary."