New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: When the Going Gets Tough IC

Spoiler
    Show
    Ah, sorry. I forgot about that. Still, it doesn't affect the outcome.

Crest of the Hill-
    Spoiler
    Show
    As the guard pulls his weapon from the ground, Talehos swings his arm into his side once more. The spike buries into his flesh, and once more he vocalizes his pain- this time, in more of a whimper than a roar. He stands still, clutching his bleeding side and panting. For a moment he looks into your eyes, and there is nothing to be heard. After what seems several minutes, he staggers backward, dropping his halberd. "Fine," he gasps, "take the bastard." He waves toward the other guard, who reluctantly releases the refugee. The larger guard glares at Talehos. "You... I will remember you." At this pronouncement, he falls to the ground, breathing heavily and utterly defeated.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

"Today you were bested by a man a third your size, one who lifted no blade against you. You were brought low by your hubris and cruelty. If you wish to be a guardian of the road, gods bless you. But guard them well and justly. A guardian is no judge, and he is no executioner. Never again dare to take upon yourself a role in justice that has not been given to you. If you respect the might of arms, then respect my words, for I have shown the power of my faith. Begone from here, and seek evidence of wrongdoing that you may find true culprits. If I ever hear of you abusing your position again, the wrath of the dragon god shall descend upon you and I shall personally drag you before the Judge."
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderML View Post
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Yurhzorg is a nuclear warhead disguised as a playable character
    Much thanks to Ceika for the poketar!

I'll be away from the internet from 1/3-1/8 2019. I swear I'm not disappeared.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Lycus chuckles quietly to himself at the small person's lecture. *So bold, yet so hypocritical...* He thinks as he takes the few steps over to a comfortable talking distance. "Nice job," he says. "You took that guy down without breaking a sweat! Let alone a blood vessel. I don't think those guys will be bothering anyone for a while."
    Rule number 18. When surrendering, I am to hand the weapon over HILT first.

Characters

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

I may think the fellow a swindler and not trust him, but that does not justify the brutality and injustice those guards were inflicting upon him. Talehos thinks to himself.

"Often, the Platinum Lord will strengthen the arm of the one who is in the right in a trial of arms."
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).

5. - Top - End - #125

As the commotion ceases, the driver once more spurs the donkey into action. As Vasyl- and the hired help- reaches the crest of the hill, the two guards walk past the cart. The larger one limps, each step upon his injured leg clearly causing him pain. Despite this, he bats away his fellow's hand as he tries to help support him. The shorter guard, for his part, looks both disappointed and dejected. Within a few moments, they've disappeared in the opposite direction.

The refugee dusts himself off, wincing as his hand brushes across the cut in his chest. When last you saw him, he was scruffy. Now, he is absolutely disheveled. Blood slowly leaks across his shirt, and dust still covers much of his body. His hair presses itself to his forehead, slick with sweat, and the halberd blow to his leg seems to leave him near tears. As he balances carefully on his good leg, he turns to you. "Little one," he says, breathing heavily, "you have risked much to help me. I will not forget this kindness, I assure you." He attempts to step toward you, before falling forward with near comical unexpectedness. He sits back, holding the gash in his leg, softly cursing, and a single tear runs down his now contorted face. "I would dare to ask one more favor of you," he says, his voice wavering. "Have you any bandages that I may use? I cannot walk like this, and I would make nothing but food the wolves out here."

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

"Of course." Talehos will take some spare coth and use it to bandage the poor fellow as best he can.

Spoiler
    Show
    taking 10 on heal for a total of 16.

7. - Top - End - #127

Working swiftly, Talehos cleans and tourniquets the wound. Having had occasion to develop the talent in his past, he finishes within several minutes. Although the cut clearly causes the refugee pain, he is able to walk now, albeit with a limp. "Thank you, deeply," he says, having somewhat regained his breath. "I have not introduced myself to you. I am called Nikos."
    Last edited by Othesemo; 2012-06-29 at 08:37 AM.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

"Talehos Scalesheen" He says, still not particularly trusting the swindler.

9. - Top - End - #129

A strange look briefly flits through Nikos's eyes. After a moment, he shakes himself. "Of course," he says, "a fitting name." Now he turns, and glances about the others. You notice that his eyes seem to linger on Vasyl, an expression of distaste forming upon his lips. "I do not know your friends," he says, choosing his words carefully, and not turning his head from Vasyl. "Who are they?"

Vasyl, for his part, seems to be deliberately avoiding eye contact with Nikos. He casts his gaze about wildly, searching for something- anything- to convincingly occupy his attention.
    Last edited by Othesemo; 2012-06-30 at 02:50 PM.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Talehos will resume guarding the cart, allowing his companions to make their own introductions.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

"Lycus Hood," He says simply and slightly distracted, arriving back at the cart after staying at the hill for a moment to get a look around.

Characters

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ettin in the Playground

"I'm Thomas, Thomas Brightrook," he says, apparently oblivious to the tension between Nikos and Vasyl. "And this is Matt." Matt, naturally, is nowhere to be seen. "We should keep going. It's no good, being on the road after dark, not when you have a choice anyways."

13. - Top - End - #133

"I'm Eliani'i Dialleria, and this is my friend Wendin Preson." Eliani'i shakes Nikos's hand vigorously, while Wendin just gives a quick nod.

"The halfling is right; we should move on. We can't see at night as well as the day, so we're more vulnerable."
    Awesome Gordon Freemane Avatar by Dirtytabs

ATTENTION: Finally returning (slowly) after a hiatus. I'd rather not talk about it.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Those who post with ponies become ponies themselves.
    And if you stare too long into Equestria, Equestria stares into you.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenpotato and Aldurin
    Free action is infinite attacks a round isn't it?

You're right, it's too weak.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Savannah

Extended Signature

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

"Janik." Janik grunts, not bothering to give a full name. "I'm not sure exactly what trouble you've gotten yourself into, but you're fortunate the little wyrmling was here to defend you. I'm not sure many from Aldalar would have bothered. You might owe him more than simple gratitude. Just a thought." With that, he continues trudging along after the cart.
    Last edited by Jarian; 2012-07-01 at 05:10 AM.
    My forum avatars appear to have decomposed in my absence. C'est la vie.
    Homebrewer's Signature
    If you use any of my homebrew, or even if you just have a strong opinion on it, please let me know. Feedback is always useful.

15. - Top - End - #135

Nikos nods in agreement. "It is never wise to go where you cannot see. There's another hour of road until you'll reach the city." He pauses for a moment. "I was hoping to gather some food before the sky darkened, but with this," he motions to his leg, "I fear that it would be unwise for me to linger about. If my company does not offend you, I would ask to travel at your side until we reach the city. Nowhere would I feel safer. Besides," he says, glancing at Janik, "I would not leave my savior with nothing but my goodwill."

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

"Let us just be on with this quest." Talehos says.

17. - Top - End - #137

Nikos hesitates for a moment, a look of confusion on his face. When no more information is forthcoming, he cautiously falls into step with the wagon, likely hoping that he didn't misunderstand the halfling. Although His wounded leg seems to give him trouble, Talehos' efforts have made it much more bearable. The wagon moves slowly enough for him to keep pace, even with a limp.

Nikos' estimation proves correct- just shy of an hour passes, and, as you pass over another hill in the road, you're able to easily make out the city wall. The area is well lit by numerous lanterns and candles lying about the tents outside the city. As you reach the edge of the refugees, Nikos stops. Turning to Talehos, he speaks. "I again thank you for your help, sir. I've nothing with me to share, but give me some time and I can ask about. I am owed many favors. I hope that, together, they shall amount to a suitable reward for the kindness you've shown me." He begins walking away, into the camps, before turning. "Ah, I should be asking. Where can I find you once I've a reward?"

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

Talehos will allow another to answer, lost in his own thoughts about this con artist he saved from the law of the land, and yet he knew he did the right thing.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

Talehos will allow another to answer, lost in his own thoughts about this con artist he saved from the law of the land, and yet he knew he did the right thing.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ettin in the Playground

"At the Jolly Pemtrils, 'round noontime," Thomas replies. "Bye Mr. Nikos!" He turns around to look at the space next to him. "What? It's not like he's gonna take it," he says, in a slightly whiny tone. "'Sides, he's the one who offered."

21. - Top - End - #141
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Lycus closes his mouth and gazes down at the small person with an eyebrow raised. He had been about to say something himself, if just to break the silence, and was surprised when someone else had beat him too it. After a moment, he shrugs and, a little tired after the long day's walk, and looking forward to a nice warm hay pile, turns back toward the city wall and continues on.

Characters

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

"If we don't want to fend off an entire horde of starving people, it might be best to continue on - quickly," Janik notes, looking around at the gaunt faces of the refugees. He had meant what he said earlier about not attacking innocents, and the longer they stayed in this area, the more appealing a target they would seem.
    My forum avatars appear to have decomposed in my absence. C'est la vie.
    Homebrewer's Signature
    If you use any of my homebrew, or even if you just have a strong opinion on it, please let me know. Feedback is always useful.

23. - Top - End - #143

As the cart continues toward the city, refugees on either side of the cart poke their heads from tents to stare. Those already standing outside turn to each other, whispering.

"What is it?"
    "Food?"
    "The red one said something about starving..."
    "It's too heavily guarded to be food... could be taxes."
    "Taxes are as good as food. Money lets you into the city."
    "Maybe they'd share?"
    "Idiot."

As you move past, conversation continues, with increasing tenseness. A few of the refugees stand and prowl a few dozen feet behind you. For some hundred yards or so, you continue uninterrupted. Without warning, however you hear a hoarse yell. Turning to its source, you see three boys- likely no older than eighteen- charging at you, sunken eyes fixated upon the cart.

OOG-
    Spoiler
    Show
    The cart takes up about a 10x15 space, including the donkey. Each of you is positioned around the perimeter of the cart as follows-

Talehos..........Janik
    Lycus.............Wendin
    Thomas...........Eliani'i

Since you were deliberately keeping an eye out, the boys get no surprise round. They're each about 30 feet from the side of the cart, two on the left, and one on the right. Initiative order is in the OOC thread- first up is Lycus.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

"Boys, if I were you, I'd back off. We've been hired to kill anyone who steals from this shipment. Now, if you cooperate with me, you have my word of honor as a Knight of the Platinum Dragon that I will ensure you are fed. We do not want to kill you, but if you try to steal from us, we will have no choice. If I have to, I will personally buy each of you a meal if you will desist and help us reach the city safely."

Spoiler
    Show
    charisma check. If it's supposed to be a specific skill check, lemme know which one and I'll edit to indicate the proper modifier.

(d20+3)[19] modifier should be +7 for diplomacy, as discussed. Thus, my total is 23.
    Last edited by planswalker; 2012-07-21 at 11:18 AM.

25. - Top - End - #145

At the word 'kill,' the boys hesitate markedly, slowing their pace and glancing at one another. They come to a full stop before the cart, as one of them hesitantly speaks. "Please, we are starving. Just give us some food, for the god's sake! You cannot need all of that," he says, gesturing toward the cart.

The other refugees recoil somewhat at the threat as well, and a few of the refugees who had been following the cart back off of the road, into the camp.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

"The food is not for just us, it is for everyone, to aid all in these hard times. If you help me get the cart to its destination, I guarantee you a hot meal tonight."

diplomacy - (d20+7)[23]

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ettin in the Playground

Thomas makes a loose fist, almost like he's grabbing a nonexistent person next to him. "Matt, no hitting! The - this stuff, it's not ours to give. None of it is. Like he said, we're hired to help, that's it," he says apologetically. "I'm sorry.. I wish I could help."

28. - Top - End - #148

The boy who spoke previously looks at the others. The other two look at him, for guidance it would seem. After a moment he turns back, and says "Very well. Whatever you need, we can help."

Vasyl seems about to speak in protest, but glances at the children and seems to think better of it. Whether from compassion or a desire to reach the gates as soon as possible, you cannot say. He instead contents himself with quipping "Fine, fine. But do not touch the crates. Sir halfling will be happy to provide you a meal later, I am sure." As he says this, he glances at Talehos with mild annoyance.

As the cart keeps moving, the refugees maintain their distance, as the three boys fall into quiet step behind the cart. The cart continues uninterrupted to the city gate, albeit with the eerie sensation of having some hundreds of eyes silently following you. As the cart slows to a halt, a guard positioned next to the now closed portcullis steps forward. He and Vasyl exchange a few terse words in regards to 'papers,' after which Vasyl rummages around in a small compartment behind him, finally pulling out several faded pages, which he hands to the guard. The guard examines them briefly, then says, as politely as one can, "Stay here." He then walks off to the side and enters a small wooden door in the wall, disappearing from view.

A few moments of silence pass. Finally, impatient and irritated, Vasyl leans toward Talehos. Speaking in a carrying whisper, and apparently unperturbed by the fact that near everyone can hear it clearly, he asks "Did you have to bring them-" he nods toward the boys- "along? I don't need more guards. And I don't need anyone else snooping about when I deliver the food to Dmytro."

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

"I was under the impression that this was honest work. I don't see why more eyes watching for trouble would be a problem for an honest man. Besides, they are not guards and I will be paying for their meal personally. They're three free sets of extra eyes to help us spot trouble. What, exactly is the issue? Would you rather them have tried to steal from us and we have to beat them into submission?"

30. - Top - End - #150

Vasyl frowns. "They were all but cowering before you. You could have let them go at that, and we would have no less trouble. Meanwhile, I'll have to deal with every refugee out here learning of the generous halfling, and the wagon he was protecting." He sighs to himself. "I am an honest man. That does not mean I want every damn man and woman in the city speaking of me."

The boys behind the wagon shift uncomfortably at Vasyl's words, though the promise of food seems to keep them quiet.