Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. Top - End - #91
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: [DnD4E] Snowbody's Keep on the Shadowfell (IC)

Zimelda's eye twitches. She quickly strides away from the elf, making sure to position Alessa and/or Rat between her and the elf.

Once they get to the Chamber of Healing, Zimelda grins cheerfully. "Wonderful news, my companions!" Her expression then falls flat. "We have a problem. Several problems, actually. Who feels like being a hero?"
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverClawShift View Post
    Wizard: Ug. God. Allright. What do you want us to do?
    Me: Burn for me.
    Wizard: ...what?
    Me: I activate the fire ability. "BURN FOR ME!!!!!!"
    Lycanthrope avatar by me!

2. Top - End - #92
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I always feel like being a hero, Zimelda." Arjhan says dryly. "What are the problems of which you speak?"
    Crit rules run RAW in my games, now and forever, Amen.

Dankeschön, domo arigatou, merci beaucoup, and infinite thanks to Ceika for the superb Galadriel avatar.

3. Top - End - #93

Zimelda smirks. "Right, right... Paladin..." she playfully quips.

Her expression then goes serious. "The kobolds have become more active. This morning they raided several more farms. They've become more bold, more aggressive. And they've changed their tactics. Children were kidnapped..." she pauses, allowing her words to hang in the air so everyone can wrap their mind around what she just said.

"Oh, and the followers of the Death Prince need the mirror to accomplish whatever dark plans they are trying to accomplish. They even offered me a deal for the mirror; I think the offer my be on the table, if anyone wants to join me later for an obvious ambush," she smirks. "Unfortunately, Valthrun interrupted and got smote by a curse, but we managed to save him. Now Lord Padraig wants us to bring the mirror to him, and then go find the kobold hideout. Stop the monsters, rescue the kids..." she idly gestures with her hands. "You know, hero stuff."

She then sighs, and looks over at Alessa. "Have I mentioned that I miss the Underdark?" she laments, though her smile shows that she's just being dramatic.

4. Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Alessa
    Even your homeland has its heroes, priestess, deadpans the water elemental. If you and your companions are finished here, I recommend we submit the mirror to Padraig and get moving.
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Thanks to Arokh for all the wonderful avatars! May his computer never crash and his mouse arm never cramp!

5. Top - End - #95
    Bugbear in the Playground

The two boys stop messing up stacks of bedsheets and rifling through cabinets to process the new information. "Heroes? Yeah, that's us!" "Slay the enemy, rescue the captives, get the glory and the women!"

OOC: I forgot to have Jarvis comment on the situation; this should have been earlier.

"You gained some valuable information there, Lady Drow, though not without cost. The necromancer mentioned a keep, quite possibly the same keep as the one Valthrun referred to. He also talked about a need for sacrifices, meaning that he is either planning some dark ritual, or in contact with malevolent extraplanar forces, and it also means you should act quickly if the kobold kidnappings are connected. He also mentioned the Bloodreavers; I do not know who they are, but given their name they are likely not friendly to Winterhaven."

6. Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground

Beholder

Mertes
    His allies finaly here, and speaking of action, Mertes rise to his feets, adjust his gear and say,
    "Lets go slay kobolds then. We'll discuss on the way there. Maybe we could go by some ranger cabin that our two new group members know. I assume it is out of the city boundaries right?"
    He looks at the two boys raising an eyebrow.

7. Top - End - #97

"Yeah, just out of town, past the southern farmsteads."

Zimelda, Arjhan, and Mertes remember the name "Kaleroot" -- it's the name of a halfling tracker that Captain Kelfem had recommended to them. He'd also given them a map to the cabin.

8. Top - End - #98

"I am not sure we have time to go find more assistance. The necromancer mentioned something about sacrifices. We may be racing the hourglass..." Zimelda states grimly. She then back and forth between Rat and the boys. "Do any of you know about something called a Bloodreaver?"

9. Top - End - #99

"Nope."

"Nuh-uh."

"In Fallcrest there was talk of some bunch of bandits by that name, I think, off to the east...maybe they weren't human?"
    says Rat.

OOC: Everyone may roll History checks to see if they've heard anything about them in their travels, or Streetwise to ask around town, or other skills if you can explain why they're useful.

10. Top - End - #100

Zimelda scratches her chin. "Why do I get the strangest feeling, as if I am supposed to know something important right now? Tis very... odd..." she muses.

11. Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

Alessa
    The Bloodreavers are a band of surfaceworlder mercenaries. I would guess that their loyalty to our foe extends only to the depth of his coin purse.
    My Homebrew
    Thanks to Arokh for all the wonderful avatars! May his computer never crash and his mouse arm never cramp!

12. Top - End - #102

OOC -- anything else to do at the Temple? bother Ian again? attempt to communicate with Douven? pray at the niche of your chosen deity? If nobody does anything I'll fast-forward to the inner gate so you can give the mirror to Lord Padraig

Rat says to Zimelda "That elf lady in there praying -- she's bad news for you, is that usual for elves or is she worse somehow? But her, you don't have to be a drow for her to be bad news. You met her before?"

13. Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

Beholder

Mertes
    As Zimelda ask the Bloodreavers, the goliath shrug.
    AS rat mention some elf, he looks at him and say then look around,
    "What elven lady are you talking about??"

Spoiler
    Show
    I dont have anything else I will try here myself... unless the elven lady thing turn interesting (the two boys told me about some elven flower seller who might know stuff about the keep after all).
    Last edited by Dekkah; 2012-07-30 at 10:44 AM.

14. Top - End - #104

Zimelda scowls. "No, I have not met her directly. The conflict and spite between our people is quite normal. Par the course, in fact. But as long as I avoid her attention, there should be no problem."

Zimelda tugs at her hood, just to make sure it is properly in place. At Mertes' inquiry, she idly replies: "Ninaran, or whatever her name is. The hunter-gatherer. The one you, if I recall correctly, irritated..."

15. Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

Beholder

Mertes
    The goliath nearly laugh out loud at Niranan mention,
    "Forget her Zimelda. She hated me as I spoke with her. I can only imagine how she would react to you. If you wanta guide, Crabbe and Goyle know one living just out of town. Kelfrem actually suggested that one to me when we've met. Shall we go?"
    Last edited by Dekkah; 2012-07-30 at 02:53 PM.

16. Top - End - #106

Leaving Douven to his well-deserved (and much-needed) rest, the party heads out from the Chamber of Healing. As they pass the sanctuary, a quick glance shows that Ninaran has finished her prayers and is about to leave as well. Zimelda might have been stealthy enough to sneak past; Mertes might have been quick enough; but it's almost a certainty that she noticed Arjhan. And sure enough, the elf hunter follows at a distance as the adventurers walk along the town streets toward the inner gate. The boys don't notice, (as they are pretending to fight the battle with the Bloodreavers and boasting of their future exploits), but Rat does, casting a nervous eye over his shoulder several times at the following elf.

The group passes the tenements outside which Zimelda was accosted by Goyle, Bairwin's Grande Shoppe (a general store), the closed militia training facility, Valthrun's tower, the path to Market Square, and Thair Coalstriker's blacksmith shop.

At the gate, acting Captain Kelfem is there to meet them, along with the two other guards. "I'll personally make sure this is placed in the vault," he says. His eyes show his concern for the kidnapped children.

Ninaran stops by Valthrun's tower, making no effort to hide that she's following the adventurers and watching them.

17. Top - End - #107
    Ettin in the Playground

Beholder

Mertes
    Seeing the blacksmith sign, Mertes suddenly remember that he wanted to see the dwarf and take note that he will return see him when they are done with this delivery.

As they meet Kelfrem, Mertes nod to the man.
    "Excellent. We will be leaving soon to deal with these small lezards and rput you back where you belong."
    The goliath nod to the captain.
    "Keep your eyes open for dark cultist my friend. Many of you may think we are seeing conspiracies everywhere, but I doubt your city is as clean as most of you beleive."

The goliath turn around and say in Ninaran direction.
    "You can join us if you want elf instead of simply following around, no need to be shy. We could use some guide that knows the area to track these little leezard buggers."
    The goliath wait a few seconds to see her reaction, before turning his attetion to his friends and tell them,
    "I'll go see the blacksmith, I have a few thing for him and he may have more informations on the kobolds and what is happening to share."

18. Top - End - #108

Zimelda ignores the elf. When Captain Kelfem meets them at the gate, Zimelda nods to him in greeting. A small sign to most, but a gesture of great respect from a Drow. "Be very careful. The enemy has shown their ability to harness this artifact for their own dark purposes. Make sure the chest is not opened under any circumstances. Also, you may wish to send someone to check on Valthrun. The old sage should be fine for now, but it would be prudent to monitor his condition."

And then Mertes opens his big mouth.

Zimelda lifts a hand to her forehead, and cradles her face as she lets out a deep sigh of exasperation. "Mertes. Mertes, I am going to hurt you..." she quietly mutters. Her annoyance with the Goliath is almost palpable.

19. Top - End - #109

Captain Kelfem's eyes go wide when Zimelda nods, but he gravely responds in kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    "Be very careful. The enemy has shown their ability to harness this artifact for their own dark purposes. Make sure the chest is not opened under any circumstances. Also, you may wish to send someone to check on Valthrun. The old sage should be fine for now, but it would be prudent to monitor his condition."
    "I'll send a patrol over in an hour or so; if he doesn't respond we know how to get in."

Quote Originally Posted by Dekkah View Post
    "Excellent. We will be leaving soon to deal with these small lezards and rput you back where you belong."
    The goliath nod to the captain.
    "Keep your eyes open for dark cultist my friend. Many of you may think we are seeing conspiracies everywhere, but I doubt your city is as clean as most of you beleive."
    "Well I know something's not right, given Lady Alessa's report. I'm not ruling out your theory, but I'm going to investigate more likely possibilities first."

"You can join us if you want elf instead of simply following around, no need to be shy. We could use some guide that knows the area to track these little leezard buggers."
    Ninaran, arms crossed, looks briefly in their direction out of the corner of her eye. She tosses her head, indicating Captain Kelfem, and shakes her head.

"Looks like your friend there still hasn't forgiven Eric. Maybe she'll offer to guide you after I make myself scarce."

"I'll go see the blacksmith, I have a few thing for him and he may have more informations on the kobolds and what is happening to share."
    "Ah, that reminds me. Given recent developments, Lord Padraig wants to make sure you have the best chance of success, and also wants to give you something in return for your service in acquiring the mirror." He gives Mertes a leather bag (containing 50 gp) and a parchment, which instructs any merchants doing regular business in Winterhaven to extend credit to Mertes, Zimelda, and Arjhan in a total amount not exceeding 500gp, the interest to be paid by Lord Padraig and the loan also guaranteed by him. It includes lines for each merchant to record the loan amount. (OOC - it's a credit card with a 500gp limit, and someone else is making the payments)

Rat doesn't know whether to be more nervous of Captain Kelfem or Ninaran.

20. Top - End - #110
    Ettin in the Playground

Beholder

Mertes
    The goliath look at Kelfrem as he speak of Ninaran having trouble with Eric,
    "She've got trouble with your son? Do we want to know or it isnt relevant?"

As he receive the money and paper, the Goliath put it in a safe and waterproof place with his other paper, a waterskin he adapted for that purpose.
    "Thanks, I'll keep this here guys. Tell me if you need it."

The goliath pull out the bag of trinket he acquired during their few battles, the one with various citizens items, go throught them picking up what he expect belong to the dwarven smith and the Dwarven ale keg and give the rest to Kelfrem.
    "We've found these things in the camp we found Douven in. I beleive it belong to people here, look like some personnal stuff that some might want to retreive."

Spoiler
    Show
    Ok, I removed "Bag containing various Townsfolk items." from the group loot.

I added the 50 GP and 500 GP credit letter to the group loot.

Snowbody : Did we sleep since the kobold battle? I think not.. .what time is it exactly right now...?

Also, I just recalled about my injured hands and arms (when I cut and pasted my status bellow).
    I dont beleive Mertes would had forgotten and would had asked for treatment at the temple while he waited... but if you say I have forgotten, I'll roleplay returning to the place for it (no problem here for me)

Mertes Status
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP :...33/33...TEMP HP :...0
    Surge Value :...8
    Surge left/surge per day :...8/12
    AC:...16...FORT:...16... REF:...13...WILL:...13...
    Main Hand : Life-Ender (Greataxe)
    Off Hand : Life-Ender (Greataxe)
    Powers :
    Howling Strike
    Pressing Strike

Action point (0/1)
    Second Wind
    Resurgent Strike
    Oath of enmity
    Stone Endurance
    Swift Charge

Swift Panther Rage
    Items powers:

Consumables :

Effects from Mertes :
    Sustain endurance (Minor)

Effects on Mertes :
    - Vulnerable Arms: each time he is hit, roll a d20 and on a 17 or higher, he takes an additional 2 damage. This damage is not affected by Stone Endurance or THP; it always deducts from real HP.
    Wrenched Arms: -2 to any attack or skill check involving use of his arms, unless he sustained endurance via a minor action earlier in the turn, or uses an AP during the turn. If he stops sustaining, DC 10 is necessary to resume.

Items Carried/Owned :

Spoiler
    Show
    Hide armor
    Backpack
    Bedroll
    Flint and steel
    Beltpouch
    Sunrod (1)
    Rations (10 days)
    50' hempen rope
    Waterskin
    Greataxe (named Life-Ender)
    Javelin (4/4)
    Dagger
    Waterskin With Deputy commissioning papers inside.
    Rager Belt (Magical)
    Gnome Daggers (2/2)

Wealth :
    Spoiler
    Show
    1 GP
    5 SP

Group Wealth :
    Spoiler
    Show
    Agrid Daggers
    65 GP (Agrid gold)
    5 GP
    36 SP
    50 GP (From Padraig)
    Paper giving 500GP credit in Winterhaven (From Padraig)

XP : 928
    Last edited by Dekkah; 2012-08-03 at 10:06 AM.

21. Top - End - #111

This is a retcon, this was supposed to happen back at the temple.

Mertes shows the acolyte Ian his arms, and asks about healing.

"Hmm, looks serious, this would definitely hamper you in combat. I'm amazed that you can do anything at all, even with this excellent bandaging job," he says with a nod toward the Dragonborn. "The best treatment, of course, is rest and avoiding strenuous activity, allowing the wounds to heal naturally. But I doubt that appeals to you.
    "I have studied the healing ritual, but I am not as experienced as Sister Linora. She'll be back tonight. If you still want me to do it, let me warn you, you would definitely be drained afterwards, perhaps even to the point of unconsciousness. I'm sure you'd recover quickly, but it still would take a toll."
    "Also, we are here to help the town, but please keep in mind that the ointments and salves used do cost money, around 150 GP, so a contribution to the temple would be greatly appreciated."

OOC: Mertes has two afflictions right now: vulnerable arms (extra damage when hit) and wrenched arms (penalty to attacks unless you sustain endurance). For each affliction you wish healed magically, you'll take damage, either your maximum HP, half your max HP, or 1/4 of max HP, depending on the roll of the d20. There's a 50% chance that it will be half your HP. Keep in mind that Zimelda has healing words to heal you more effectively than just using surges during a short rest, but it takes time for her to recharge them.
    Last edited by Snowbody; 2012-08-03 at 11:04 AM.

22. Top - End - #112

Crabbe and Goyle, working together, managed to remember a little bit more of the song:

The Platinum Dragon upon his shield,
    Traitorous Sir Keegan.
    Stained red with the blood of those he'd killed,
    Traitorous Sir Keegan.

"Hey Mr. Arjhan, you've got a dragon on your shield too!" Keegan was a Bahamut follower, at least according to the song!

23. Top - End - #113

Whenever the kids do their song

Zimelda shakes her head. "You boys are quite astute. Next time you see him, tell Jarvis that he is made of crystals. I am certain he would love to be informed of such a startling revelation," the Drow sarcastically observes.

In the present

Zimelda grabs the items out of Mertes' hands when he tries to hand them over. "Mertes, why are you handing over my henchman's personal effects?" she asks, slightly annoyed. "It is as thought you are intent on irritating me today. The next time you get an arm ripped off or something, I will be sure to wait an extra thirty seconds before healing your broken, battered form. In fact, I think I shall spend those thirty seconds doing something more productive, like poking you. With a stick!" she snarks.

24. Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

Alessa
    It has occurred to me that my would-be companions have not properly rested since their return to the city. I know that children have gone missing, which is dire indeed, but is it wise to assault the enemy with a tired attack force? asks Alessa, to no one in particular. I also have an errand to run before we depart; it shall take but a few minutes, she adds, without waiting for anyone to answer her first question. She leaves for the market, to find the stall of the old jam-seller.
    My Homebrew

25. Top - End - #115
    Dwarf in the Playground

Arjhan sighs heavily and says, "I hate to admit it, but I am quite weary. Honor demands that we go save the children immediately, but my body demands rest. Perhaps we should take some time to rest before we leave."

Dankeschön, domo arigatou, merci beaucoup, and infinite thanks to Ceika for the superb Galadriel avatar.

26. Top - End - #116

The stall is closed, but Alessa soon finds the old lady buying new jars from a glassblower. "Oh, it's you dearie. Making friends I hope? This is such a friendly town! Will you be visiting tonight?" she prattles, oblivious as usual.
    Last edited by Snowbody; 2012-08-07 at 10:42 PM.

27. Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

Alessa
    I am sorry, ma'am, but it seems I will not be visiting tonight. There's bandit activity out in the countryside, and I'm going to help the deputies set it right this evening. I wanted to come and tell you I would not be joining you this evening, explains the elemental disguised as a woman.
    My Homebrew

28. Top - End - #118

"Oho, bandits? They've never troubled me. It's only the outsiders that grouse about such things. Avandra keeps me safe," she says, clutching at her medallion. "She knows this is one of her shrines, I'm sure the Regulars will handle it. Sorry I can't offer you any jam to pass around on your trip, I'm fresh out. Maybe when you come back."

29. Top - End - #119

Zimelda frowns at Arjhan. "I myself feel perfectly fine. If you need rest to be effective in combat, then I suppose you should rest. But I thought Paladins of Bahamut were willing to charge into battle against the forces of wickedness even while missing limbs, let alone in need of a nap?" she quips.

30. Top - End - #120
    Dwarf in the Playground

Arjhan gives Zimelda a weary smile and says, "It is true, my Lady, that my body will continue it's work for as long as I command it to, without food or rest. But these recent events have left me in a thoughtful mood, and much has happened in these past days that weighs heavily on my mind and heart."

He sighs heavily and says quietly to Zimelda, "And in truth, much of what you know about Paladins is truly the stuff of legend. If I lose a limb, Bahamut will have to forgive me for wanting to preserve the rest of them."