New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default (Dark Heresy) His Holy Ordo - Purge the Unclean

The warehouse you have been told to gather in is long and dark, the dull lume-globes making only the central concrete expanse truly visible.

It has been a approximately a standard year since you were all recruited by Inquisitor Vaarak of the Ordo Hereticus. You have now been called to service, meeting your fellow acolytes in your new Cell for the first time.

Standing at the center of the illuminated are is a servitor, its metallic body and fleshy skull staring blankly at the entry point you came through, almost completely inert apart from minor movement in it's mechanical parts.

As the last member of the Cell enters the servitor suddenly comes to life as the doorway closes with a clang. It straightens, looking at each of you in tern before beginning to speak.

"Identities have been confirmed, welcome acolytes." You recognize the voice is not that of the mechanical creature, but of Inquisitor Vaarak, your master. "I apologize that I could not meet you in person, but other matters draw my attention elsewhere. This servitor has for you each a data=slate containing your mission briefing, formulated by my colleague Inquisitor Graves.

It should contain everything you need to get to your destination and carry out your mission. Remember, I have confidence in your individual abilities, now it is time you can prove to me you will work well as a team. Good Luck and the Emperor protect you all."

With those words a hatch disengages in the front of the servitor, revealing a stack of six data-slates, one for each of you. It waits patiently as you take them, then trundles back a few steps.

You press your finger to the activation rune, and the slates come to life, flashing the inquisitorial symbol and a notice saying "TOP SECRET - ON THE HIGHEST AUTHORITY" Before clearing to reveal a body of text.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Please read your emailed mission briefings now, let me know in the OOC channel when you've read it and we can continue.
    Are you a 40k fan but a bit fuzzy on the background lore?
    Then visit my YouTube channel Vaults of Terra for the a weekly lowdown on everything 40k,
    from Space Marine armour to warp travel. New topics posted weekly.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: (Dark Heresy) His Holy Ordo - Purge the Unclean

As the Servitor speaks it's last words, Raltus responds almost reflexively "Emperor Protect Us" bowing his head momentarily for the short prayer.

As the Acolytes collect their data-slates he waits patiently to one side, smiling benignly. His grey hair and pale skin giving him a ghostly appearance in the dim light.

He pauses mid-way through reading to look up. His ever-present smile on his face as he looks at the other Acolytes, faces lit up by the glow from their slates. So these would be his Brothers in arms. He would watch over them as best he could, and the Emperor would watch over them all.

Finishing his reading quickly he spoke, his well-spoken voice echoing in the dark room "Brothers, it seems we are well needed. An opportunity to serve the Emperor in manifold ways. Bringing His word to these people, whilst fighting whatever unruly forces now torment this world he places one hand on his chest and bows "I am Raltus Severus, humble Cleric, Order of the Sanctified Word of He-on-Earth

Spoiler
    Show

In the PH it says there are many disparate Orders in the Ecclesiarchy, so I just made on up, hope that's ok!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kobold

Ernio nodded respectfully to the servitor as he took the data-slate and read it carefully ignoring for the moment the other acolytes hrm our mission seems simple enough i hope that inquisitor wont get us killed though.

It was the usual stuff do this do that and follow your orders as they say, just another day serving the Empire for Ernio, he finished reading as the priest introduced himself.

Ernio nodded curtly at the priest "Nice to meet you Brother Raltus, i am Ernio Galio member of the Adeptus Arbites".
    Last edited by Orbiter; 2013-07-21 at 09:09 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Elena replies to the Cleric sarcastically, "And I am a dangerous chaos worshiper, here to sabotage the mission."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

As the servitor trundled away T'ohei stared bemusedly at the data slate in his hands, lips pursed in thought. Hmm...leagues away from my usual fare, I'm not seeing a kill order anywhere on this thing. I'm supposed to 'investigate', which I suppose is better than hopping from planet to planet offing small-time troublemakers. This might be a nice change. He pocketed the device amongst his other gear and turned towards the others, head slightly cocked as he listened to the cleric.

His blue eyes peeked from under bushy red eyebrows, studying the individuals before him, his fellow cell members. He wasn't used to working with others, at least not for long, and most assuredly not without feeling like he had to watch his back. Though I guess it's possible nothing has changed on that front. Still, I doubt they would be here if Lord Vaarak didn't think them worthwhile.

T'ohei straightened himself, his back going rigid, accentuating his height. His mouth opened, the bristling red hairs of his beard quivering with the motion. "Hail, to you Raltus and you Ernio, and to the rest of you who are yet to introduce yourselves, as is proper when strangers meet." He paused a moment, letting the less than subtle jibe sink in before continuing. "My earned name is T'ohei, birthed Verne neath winter storms on a planet far from here. I would be pleased to be your brother in this endeavor, for the glory of The Sacrifice Made, and our ancestors." He passed a hand over his face, fingers spread and eyes peeking atwixt the digits, making the slightest of bends as he did so.

He straightened once more, heels snapping together rigidly and eyes gazing ahead, though a tooth-filled grin offset the sternness of his pose as he patiently awaited the requisite introductions from those who had not yet spoken.
    Last edited by Uthragar; 2013-07-21 at 10:28 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Titus finishes reading the data-slate possibly one of the last, as he didn't need to read to much in the Guardsman. "Name's Titus." is his only remark as he stands arms folded, looking as big and strong as possible.

7. - Top - End - #7

SwashbucklerGuy

Raltus turns his quiet smile towards Elena "Alas! If only the forces of Chaos were so forthright. It would make our work much easier would it not? However, they do say, 'many a true word is spoken in jest' " his smile momentarily widens into a grin at his little joke before turning back to the others, quietly nodding acknowledgements as they introduce themselves.
    Last edited by Mr.D; 2013-07-21 at 12:04 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Elena smiles a bit and thinks, Hey, a reasonable cleric. How rare. She then replies, "Heh. I'm a psyker, so it might just come true without my consent."
    Last edited by Ionbound; 2013-07-21 at 06:01 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Calloused fingers shifted and curled around the leather and cloth bound hilt of the sword slung across T'ohei's back as he stared towards the woman after her admission. His wrist brushed against the feathers dangling from the blade's pommel, his body shaking a bit in nervousness and a trace of fear as his free hand clutched at the charm around his neck. He had never had the misfortune of being so close to one of the Touched, though he had heard of their kind even amongst his own people. He, like many others, had been taught to fear their kind and even after years of training and working in the wider Imperium his reflexive reaction was hard to shake.

T'ohei took a deep breath and lowered his arm, though he made a point to keep the woman at arm's length, muttering an apology as he did so. "Apologies, I...I've had naught but a childhood of horror stories." He forced a smile, and with a bit more effort forced his eyes to meet the woman's face. "For all my talk it seems there are some things from home I can't quite leave behind as easily as I would like." T'ohei nervously struggled to find a place for his hands, and something to occupy his mind. I must look a fool, she wouldn't be here...heh, I've used this line already. Doesn't make it any less true though. He dug into his gear and retrieved the data-slate, looking it over again to hide his discomfort.

It didn't take long for the steel-sword to regain his composure, his personality just wasn't up to the task of extended brooding. His long fingers flicked deftly along the screen as he scrolled through the message again. "Hmm...ahem." T'ohei cleared his throat loudly, looking up. "Not sure if the rest of you caught this, but passage has been booked for us, aboard a vessel named the Brazen Sky, and for immediate departure no less. Maybe we should see about heading that direction, we can continue our talks there, in code, as our instructions suggest." He nodded slowly and locked the data-slate before looking at the others. "I'm not sure of the exact arrangement that has been made for us, but we wouldn't want the vessel to leave without us."
    Last edited by Uthragar; 2013-07-22 at 10:31 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10

SwashbucklerGuy

Raltus continues to smile as Elena explains her abilities "Oh, I see." he responds, seeming completely neutral to the idea "Emperor willing we will make it through our endeavours without summoning the forces of Chaos" although keeping a calm and friendly appearance, internally he decided to keep an eye on Elena. Psykers glow like beacons in the warp, and could make easy doors for the forces of Chaos to walk through. It occured to him the presence of a Cleric may not have been an accident on a mission with such obvious Ecclesiarchal ties, especially on a team with a Psyker.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    "Emperor willing we will make it through our endeavours without summoning the forces of Chaos"
    Urijah laughs from where he was perched, leaning against the wall. "Sorry to take so long reading." The tall dark man with purple hair and red leather long-coat makes a fast flourish with his right hand before taking a deep and theatrical bow. "My name is Urijah Flaire, pleased to make the acquaintance of all you beautiful people" He smiles a big white grin, his blue eyes and pearly teeth practically shining against his black skin. "I don't mean to be rude, but it sounds like the forces of... The Dark Gods is exactly what we will be facing. 'As the cathedral structure has neared completion,'" he reads, "'unusual phenomena have been evidenced both at the site and in the surrounding area. These include strange lights in the hills, animal attacks, missing persons an upsurge in accidents and unexplained deaths... manifestations of phantom sounds, walls weeping blood, telekinetic disturbances and other such phantasmagoria.' Now I don't know much about the warp, maybe our pretty little Elena could say more, but that sounds like Daemon stock to me. Maybe it's a good think I took so long to read". Urijah gives a quick wink and roguish grin to Elena.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Elena says in a stage whisper, "Note to self: Don't be alone with Urijah." She then continues in a normal voice, "Well, daemons aren't exactly my area of expertise. It lies more in causing wounds to seal unnaturally quickly."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Urijah pantomimes being struck in the heart, stumbling back, with one hand dramatically up to his brow in mock swoon, "Oh mademoiselle, how you wound me. However, I am sure to win you over as surely as won't pursue you. Alas, I am no farmers son." Again Urijah takes a deep bow.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Elena pretends to swoon, then says, "Alas, before I discovered my power, I was going out with, as you say, a farmer's son. I'm from an Agri-World, you see."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Titus stands taking in the conversation. "As long as I can smash whatever it is, we'll be good." Titus grins presumably at the thought of beating the pulp out of something.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Elena sighs and thinks to herself, So, we have a reasonable cleric, an arbiter, a psyker-phoebe, a ladies-man, and a guardsman who doesn't exactly get subtlety. Wonderful. She says out loud, "How pleasant to meet you all. However, I do agree with T'ohei in that we should set off."

Spoiler
    Show
    This is RP, not what I think of your characters OOC.

17. - Top - End - #17

Kobold

Ernio was grinning like the cat that ate the canary at the whole exchange "Sounds like the perfect combination for disaster to me". From his tone it was obviously a joke.
    Spoiler
    Show

I suppose everyone wants to move the scene to us moving to the planet?
    *pokes the gm* hulloo? XD
    Last edited by Orbiter; 2013-07-22 at 10:13 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Though T'ohei's eyes had turned towards the door by which the group had entered his ears kept him quite up to speed on the developing conversation. He spared a quick glance as Urijah introduced himself, but was otherwise focused on their exit and getting on with it. It was, in the end, a good thing he was looking away as the grimace that developed on his face was hidden from the others as he heard, of all things, the newly introduced Urijah apparently flirting with the Touched member of their cell.

Ugh, I know I might have looked a bit of a fool with my knee-jerk reaction, but this guy is on a whole different level. Flirting with a Touched one, at least my reaction was understandable, the mutant must be hated. T'ohei passed a hand over his brow and shuddered a bit, focusing his attention elsewhere. On a more useful note, most of this group has made their skill-sets pretty apparent, whether we can pull it together in a meaningful fashion is a big question though. At least that Titus fellows seems reasonably straightforward.

T'ohei's booted feet clicked against the concrete floor of the building as he wandered towards the door by which they had arrived. It had closed behind them, but as far as he was aware it was still the only exit from the building. He wasn't planning on leaving without the others, but with the talking winding down, or veering into the uncomfortable, he was simply trying to move things along. They had a job to do, and in his line of work it didn't pay to waste time on such things. Besides, us getting on with it will likely do more for our cohesion than any amount of blathering we do in here. What we say and do now matters little, what happens on the job is another story. Maybe I'll feel better about having a Touched one along once I see her in action.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

There is a hiss and a click from the servitor as it backs away again. +Mission Briefing Has Been Acknowledged.+ It said in a mechanical voice +Security Protocols Engaged. For The Emperor.+

Suddenly there is a deep wumph and a blinding light, followed by a blast of blisteringly hot air. After a second the light and heat dissipate without causing harm to any of the team. However, there is a bubbling pool of blackened liquid concrete and some glowing metallic debris showing all that remained of the servitor.

The door behind you suddenly disengages, and see a man in voidsman's overalls. He smiled, "Sirs and Madam, if you follow me, your shuttle is waiting." He gestures to the landing areas outside the warehouse.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: I work on UK time guys so I can post around about now and 5 hours after. I'll reply when I can but I'm more active at weekends.
    Last edited by Viper9090; 2013-07-22 at 05:29 PM.
    Then visit my YouTube channel Vaults of Terra for the a weekly lowdown on everything 40k,

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Urijah does a short curtsy, "Gentlemen first", allowing the others to go first, he follows the voidsman.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Elena sighs again and enters the ship.

22. - Top - End - #22

SwashbucklerGuy

Raltus pauses to cast a quick gesture and mumbled prayer for the dead over the remains of the Servitor before following the group outside

Spoiler
    Show
    I know servitors are made mostly from brain-wiped people, with no real memory or anything, but they were people once dammit! Mostly dangerous or unsuccessful people from what I've read, but people still.
    Last edited by Mr.D; 2013-07-22 at 05:39 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

As Titus walks toward the shuttle he chuckles to himself at the actions of the witch girl and the purple haired man, not to mention the cleric. This is going to be real fun.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

It is a short distance to reach what looks like a rather worn Arvus lighter. The Voidsman leads you up the rear ramp and into the dimly lit interior.

There are a seats lining the walls and space for you to store your equipment for your flight up to the Brazen Sky. The Voidsman turns to you all as you find your seats, "Honored masters, my name is Sebek and I will be your purser aboard the Brazen Sky. If you need anything when you are aboard it would be my pleasure to provide it." He grins at you all, "Now may you please take a berth and secure your possessions we will be taking off in two minuets."

As you secure yourselves he goes between you all checking you are properly strapped in before closing the rear ramp and securing himself near the hatch to the cockpit.

You liftoff shortly afterwards, and spend the next ten minuets and moderate G forces as the Lander rises through the atmosphere, shaking and rattling along with your belongings.

Soon the shaking stops and the pilot reports that you have left the atmosphere, and in what feels like no time at all you have docked with the Brazen Sky.

There is a whirlwind of activity as the lander docks and unloads both you and the limited cargo that was stacked between you.

You find yourself hustled past scenes of fanatic activity as the rest of the cargo is loaded onto the ship. You eventually find yourself in a large and disheveled-looking open plan crew bay.

Sebek turns to you "I must depart to the captain. I shall return once the ship has entered the Immaterium. If you need anything you may contact me at the vox panel." He indicates a grubby looking vox-terminal in the corner of the bay.

With a final bow and a smile the purser leaves through a hatchway.

What would you like to do now?
    Last edited by Viper9090; 2013-07-25 at 05:11 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Elena says, "I really need better protection. Any ideas, anyone?" She then scrounges around for something more protective than a quilted vest.
    Last edited by Ionbound; 2013-07-24 at 07:21 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Titus laughs when Elena says she needs better armor. "Listen, As long as you stay behind me, I'll have you covered."

27. - Top - End - #27

SwashbucklerGuy

Raltus takes the time to check his gear. He draws his sword and holds it out straight, turning it to catch the light and checking it's edge. He slides it back into the sheath then draws his Hand-Cannon, he sights down the barrel and checks it's fully loaded before re-holstering it.Upon hearing Elena he chuckles "The Emperor Protects" he says, then holds up his Flak Helmet "But a bit of armour can't hurt either" he smiles at his own small joke and then looks around at all the activity "Perhaps we should enquire if any of the crew have made this trip before, and if any of them have witnessed the peculiar occurances we have been asked to investigate. First had witnesses would be useful"

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

"I heard they make prophylactics for women these days... but I thought you said you weren't interested?" Urijah grins "In all seriousness, I doubt this ship has armor to give away or sell. I think we all could use some equipment, myself included, but our best bet is once we touch down. Anyone want to explore the ship with me?"
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2013-07-25 at 10:40 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29

Kobold

Ernio was checking his shotgun the metal knuckles and generally the rest of his weapons as well his flask satisfied they were secure on him he took a small sip and strapped the flask and put it in the pocket as he listened to the others, this journey was gonna be long and boring most likely may the Emperor have mercy on them, still there were some stuff he dint like about the planet. He was silent as other spoke thinking what he should do or not. "Eh why not?, il come with you"
    Last edited by Orbiter; 2013-07-25 at 10:51 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Elena walks over to Urijah and smacks him. She then grabs him by the collar and whispers in his ear, "Don't talk to me like that again, or I'll put you in such a private, personal, and above all, focused world of pain your voice will go up an octave for the rest of your life. Got it?"

Spoiler
    Show
    In case you're wondering, she's talking about using the power Cause Pain on a very...personal area.
    Last edited by Ionbound; 2013-07-25 at 03:47 PM.