Page 10 of 45 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast

Thread: Ishmael Mk III

1. - Top - End - #271
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Ishmael Mk III

Spoiler
    Show

Clarification...

Did I find any cellars? Or did you mean to say 'beneath my floors'?

AvB has come and gone. Its spirit still lives on in the few active threads...

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I meant beneath the floor...

derp!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderML View Post
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Yurhzorg is a nuclear warhead disguised as a playable character
    Much thanks to Ceika for the poketar!

I'll be away from the internet from 1/3-1/8 2019. I swear I'm not disappeared.

3. - Top - End - #273

Ishmael will find once again the place where the floor feels hollow, renew his invisibility, take a deep breath and attempt to shadow jump using his cloak.

He is prepared to end up falling far from the floor so for that reason he swaps his ring of protection with the life ring he had not yet sold, so that feather fall would activate on its own should indeed a fall happened.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

You shadow jump...

Into a sewer tunnel that runs directly underneath her lot. There is a side-chamber directly in front of you that appears to be empty.

Spoiler
    Show
    well, NOT how I expected you to figure it out, but it works.
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).

5. - Top - End - #275

Spoiler
    Show

Ishmael, one solution for every problem :D from opening the underside of a crate to simply shadow jumping in secret rooms :D

Ishmael looks around curiously. The sewers? Really Pelorites? That was terribly presumptous of them...

Without losing more time he puts the protection ring back on and then slowly and carefully approaches the side-chamber.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

It is empty and bare, but apparently much larger on the inside than the outside.

7. - Top - End - #277

Seeing as noone has arrived yet, Ishmael takes a few minutes to search the place as much as he can.

The info from the woman about noises from here indicates that this is the correct place... along with the Pelorite note off course...

Spoiler
    Show

Take 20 for 29 search. Paying attention to invisibility and hiding meanwhile.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

The room has no hidden compartments or traps that you can find. It appears that it's counting on obscurity and a lack of any obvious reason to suspect it for its secrecy.

9. - Top - End - #279

Ishmael is satisfied with the results. He takes a few minutes to make sure he didnt leave any evidence of his presence here, like fresh mud or something similar.

He then finds the most advantegous hiding spot that also provides some physical cover so that he can avoid any magic detection spell and hides to the best of his ability.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

Your best bet will be just outside the entrance. Inside the room is a clear shot.

Not too much later, you indeed do see the administrator of the orphanage enter the meeting room. He doesn't seem to be carrying anything.

11. - Top - End - #281

Ishmael stays quiet and simply watches. No reason to reveal anything as of yet... perhaps the man carries his 'loot' within an extradimensional space or something of that short.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

In fact, when a man in a gray cloak enters the room, it does indeed that the fellow uses an extradimensional space. A muttered word and wave of the hand later, a large black hole opens and deposits the crates from earlier on the ground.

"They're all here, as promised."

"The master won't be happy if anything is missing. Three of his favorites were killed when those scum found us. What if their dragons come next time? You need to be more careful."

"Those priests are all talk. They wouldn't dare mobilize. They'd incur the wrath of all the gods if they did."

"Don't be so sure. They are fanatics. They would be willing if they knew the extent of our presence."

13. - Top - End - #283

Ishmael raises an eyebrow at the discussion and keeps listening. He tries to move as little as possible while trying to get a good look of the grey cloaked mans face.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

The face is unfamiliar to you, but even you catch the glimmer of a golden holy symbol featuring a sun.

Spoiler
    Show
    btw, as a former AVB DM, Riz did clue you in about the thing with the church of Pelor in Aldhaven, right? Your disbelief at their evil has just been good roleplaying?

15. - Top - End - #285

Spoiler
    Show

Er... well I remember during the quest with Duchess Horduka, that apothecary had told me how evil they were and I guess you had then sent me the link about "Pelor: The Burning Hate" but I had never gotten confirmation or anything more on that.

Still its hard for Ishmael to accept that every single person is evil in the whole church... or at least the whole hierarchy.

Dragons, vampire spawn, wrath of gods and fanatics...

This was quite heavy... he couldnt recognise who the man was but at least with a good look he could then inquire about his identity... since he openly wore a Pelorite symbol it meant he was a public enough individual to care about being seen without one.

Spoiler
    Show

Also, do I have at a description (from my old knowledge local and gather info checks) of my actual target? That Bishop guy I mean...

Ishmael keeps quiet. He knows where the administrator can be found but he knows little more for the other man. As such he plans to perhaps follow him and attempt to steal the extra dimensional space... that should put a delay on their plans if nothing else.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    d'oh, I keep forgetting that you've already investigated the bishop.

yes, you recognize him as fitting the general description of the bishop.

also, about the Pelorites in general: their low-level clergy are mostly genuine, but you reach the higher echelons by being initiated. Not ALL of them are as undead-loving as this branch, but most of the bishops and higher made a dark pact or two to help their chances for promotions.

"Now we'll inspect all of the crates before I accept them."

"Don't trust me?"

"In fact, no. That stupid investor poking around does not please the Master."

"Is it he that thinks I'm compromised or your words in his ear?"

"You know as well as I that we don't get to the positions we're in by taking chances. If you still want a steady stream of girls into the orphanage to help hide your... appetites, the Master expects you to be of use to him. He could alwways set another in your place. One with less troublesome... habits."

"Fah, stop threatening me and just get on with the inxpection."

Two vampire spawn appear out of the shadows by the entracke suddenly. In fact, one is so close to you that it nearly brushes you as it enter. Both of them are young females who could have fit in at the orphanage among the older girls, if it wasn't for the obvious signs of undeath. They quickly and methodicallly search the cratees, until they came ot the one you tampered with and took an iron box from.

"One of the resitng places is missing."

"What? But that's impssible! The wards are untouched. That nosy businessman never set foot in the hidden room."

"Then, dear brother, we must come to the conclusion that you have lied. Either you are lying about him getting past you and you are incompetent, or else you thought to steal from the Master and use the resting place as bait to draw in his enemies."

Before he could finish the sentence, the amdinistrator is brandishing his hly symbol.

"Don't make me do it. Bishop or no bishop, I will destroy you if you dare to attack me here."

"Attack you? Here? In one of your sanctums? I wouldn't dream of it. We will take what you do have to the Master and see what he feels this incomplete shipment is worth."

17. - Top - End - #287

Ishmael is torn... maybe he can somehow intervene and force a fight between the two groups.

But he knows precious little for the ploy to last long and if it doesnt come to blows and all turn against him this would mean him possibly... well... dieing.

He watches the transaction with interest, especially the part about the administrators appetites. Oh there will be a reckoning for that but he had time for that man.

He waits patiently in order to monitor the vampire spawns and more importantly the Bishop... could it be that he was a vampire or simply someone in service to one?

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

The vampire spawn load the crates in portable holes. As best you can tell, the bishop is human.

19. - Top - End - #289

The vampire spawn are bound to be easier targets... he could attack them and steal the boxes.

On the other hand its strange that the other Pelorite brandished his symbol to this man if he is not undead. Off course the whole idea of a Pelorite threatening an other Pelorite with destruction and the latter claiming this empty room to be his sanctum is already pretty darn strange Ishmael considers.

In any case, he remains quiet and prepares to follow the gray cloacked man...

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

The vampire spawn disappear into the shadows once more and the gray cloaked man walks through the sewers in a generally southwest direction. After a while, the bishop stops and says to his unseen minions. "Sunset is in four hours. The Master awaits your pleasure then."

21. - Top - End - #291

Spoiler
    Show

Can I tell what is South-West of our location?

Ishmael pays attention to the route they are taking. He is a bit worried about the fact that he lost sight of the vampire spawns but pleased none of them managed to spot him in return.

When the group stops and the man speaks he relaxes a bit. It would be hard for him to follow a foe he cant see but the Bishop was fair game and obviously his retinue just left him.

He stays quiet and continue to follow the man, ready to act should something change.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    this far? the temple district, unless you're out past the city walls and into the bay.

4500 xp for the PLOT so far.

You follow him up a manho,le and out into a back street in the Temple District. HE meanders his way to the Tempele of Pelor.

23. - Top - End - #293

*Small rewind assuming I indeed think we are somewhere in the Temple District*

As they continue walking Ishmael has started paying attention to the movements and body type of his target. He monitors him figuring out where to strike for optimal results and everything he needs to know in his profession.

Finally just as the man is on the second step of the ladder leading to the manhole he strikes using the best of his abilities. He is unsure if his target is alive or not so he opts, just for this once, not to go for subdual damage.

As he does so he cries out in Undercommon

"Die Dominari Scum! The Sewers are Ours!" deciding that if the man should escape he would at least be mistaken for why he had just been attacked!

Spoiler
    Show

So one "death attack" but going for the paralysis effect.

Laying out 'special' things I am using so you have them all in one place.

a) Swift action, blade of blood. I use 5 hp and cause 3d6 extra damage.
    b) Assuming he is Flatfooted I get +2 attack and damage from my gloves of murder and also reroll of the sneak attack dice.
    c) Paralysing Death Attack (DC 18 fortitude or be paralysed for (1d20+16)[28] rounds.)
    d) Venomous Strike feat in conjuction with Drow Poison. This means DC 16 Fortitude or fall unconsious but I do 1d6 less sneak attack damage.
    e) If he is human the fierce bane also works (which I guess now that I realise if he is human or human based this would make me aware of it so maybe I will change my action if he is not human as he appears to be...)

And here goes

(1d20+16)[28] -crit confirm (1d20+16)[21]
    damage (2d4+10)[17] - crit damage (2d4+10)[18]
    Bane damage (2d6)[11] - crit bane damage (1d10)[10]
    Blade of Blood (3d6)[6]
    Caustic Acid (2d6)[3]
    Sneak attack (10d6)[5][2][1][3][4][3][3][5][3][3](32) (first 4 non 1s) +11 (Craven)

Total (to be edited): 62 damage and the 2 saves (and a 3rd one for massive damage I guess...)

Last edited by Monodominant; 2012-08-13 at 09:19 AM.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

You catch the dominari off guard and slay him outright. The shock of the damage was too much for his system.

Spoiler
    Show
    2700 xp and congrats on one-shotting your lead...

25. - Top - End - #295

Spoiler
    Show

Really? I hoped he would fail ONE of the 3 saving throws but not that one! I mean he was after all a cleric... ie high fortitude and massive damage is DC 15... the lowest of the three...

By the way, I assume the chain was indeed indicating a human/human like right?

Ishmael curses. Damned man... why did you have to go and die...

He rushes next to the body considering if he can save the man and for a moment the idea of consuming his soul comes to mind...

He shakes it off... this man horrible as he was did not actually belong to those that should be sacrificed to the soul-eater.

Ishmael checks if he can somehow... buzz him to life via his spellfire but if that fails he evaluates his options. Finding someone to raise the man could work... off course the priest could refuse but the death was so sudden that hopefully he would not know what happened and if he could find an evil enough cleric there would be no reason to resist...

The other option was to find someone to Speak with the man. Sure he lacked alot of information but he knew the contact, the administrator, and he knew there was "The Master" hence the questions could be focused on that...

Spoiler
    Show

Waiting for the clarification on the first spoiler before proceeding and possibility for shocking him back to life with heal check/spellfire healing.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, it was a human. And I'm sorry, he rolled a four on that one and his fort save was a +9.

He actually ALSO failed the paralysis roll. Too bad dead overwrites paralysis....

which made me think instant rigor mortis.

A thought enters your mind. You could fill that body with spirit energy if you do it NOW. It will make you VERY hungry, but you could revive it for a few minutes. It will be beholden to you.

27. - Top - End - #297

Spoiler
    Show

Bah what can you do. I dont -really- care he died... its more that it means Ishmael will have failed in delivering him alive to the Duchess that annoys me... the accidentally killing a lead isnt that big a deal.

Though I just realised something. If I had confirmed him being a human/humanoid I would have gone for subdual instead of actual damage... I no longer take any penalty for that due to the ruthless beating ability... (from the slaver class)

But I dont want to retcon this too much unless if you are okay with it... either path can lead to interesting possibilities...

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm okay with a retcon here, as I totally forgot you had the ability too or I'd have nudged you to remind you that you had it. Don't really like that a single bad roll at the right time screwed up weeks of buildup.

29. - Top - End - #299

Spoiler
    Show

I am in two minds actually... I was thinking that maybe it would create interesting story potential to bring his body to the Duchess and say "well... this is the man you wanted. Unfortunately he proved too weak but you know what... it wasnt him that really caused it... apparently he serves someone called "Master" who is the real mastermind behind all this and we are gunning for him now!"

On the other... this is AvB still in that there is no raise dead/ressurection now that I remembered it... so bringing him back is impossible. Only raise dead or this spirit thing.

I thought of letting it to dice roll but I guess and since you are also okay with it, just this once I will go with the more beneficial effect of having done subdual.

So I guess he is paralysed but alive or is he also unconsious?

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

He is paralyzed for the next three minutes or so. He is still conscious, but not by much.