New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 45 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast

Thread: Ishmael Mk III

1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Ishmael Mk III

Mr Bright's unofficial correspondence seems to all be in metaphor and code words. Except for official correspondence with the Church, none of the letters use actual names. Instead they all are addressed in short, monosyllabic words. There's a "Cat", "Sun", "Dog", "Bow", and "Ear". Mr Bright seems to refer to himself in these correspondence as "Glow".
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderML View Post
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Yurhzorg is a nuclear warhead disguised as a playable character
    Much thanks to Ceika for the poketar!

I'll be away from the internet from 1/3-1/8 2019. I swear I'm not disappeared.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Firbolg in the Playground

Ishmael checks correspondence referring to the Sun. Its just a hunch but he knows in many cultures the Sun is referred as Helios and hence "Gabriel Para-Helios" might be the one behind this facade.
    AvB has come and gone. Its spirit still lives on in the few active threads...

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

Now that you're looking for it, it seems that indeed Mr. Sun is mentioned frequently. In the letters, he's the only one who speaks to Mr Bright with authority. In fact, the meeting tomorrow is a chance for "Glow" to give tributes to "Sun".
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).

4. - Top - End - #184

Satisfied with what he knows so far and knowing that his target was indeed an influential Bishop Ishmael spends as much time needed to ensure he leaves the office just as he found it and even takes time to ensure he has not left any traces of his own presence there.

He subsequently visits the area where the secret door was and spends some time trying to figure out how it works and then to check if its somehow trapped.

Spoiler
    Show

Taking 20 on a search for 29.
    In case there is a trap, disable device check: (1d20+21)[34]

Last edited by Monodominant; 2012-07-30 at 08:36 AM.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

You are able to discern that the wall over the secret entrance is an illusion, one that includes tangible elements, although it is not actually solid and you can push through it without resistance. However, unless you KNOW it's an illusion and you'd have to be delusional in order to be likely to try to pass your hand through what feels like solid wall.

Still, your scouting mission earlier means you do indeed find the hidden entrance. There is a small sun-shaped depression in the face of the true wall. You find that there is indeed a trap, two in fact. You find an alarm and an inflict critical wounds trap. You successfully disable the alarm.

Spoiler
    Show
    gonna need a roll for the inflict critical wounds.

6. - Top - End - #186

Ishmael holds his breath for a moment and sets to working on the harder trap.

He thanks Kelemvor that he had gotten such a fine enchanted implements of his work from Hagan before the man secluded himself in his own workshop...

Spoiler
    Show

Disable

(1d20+21)[29]

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

You successfully disable the trap.

8. - Top - End - #188

Now that the traps are dealth with Ishmael pushes through the door, carefully trying to enter.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

The third, dc 30 trap activates upon opening the door.

Make a will save.

Spoiler
    Show
    5th level spells, always a dc 30 trap. Considering your level, I didn't think such a trap unreasonable to place.

Eventually, you're gonna learn to invest in search :P

10. - Top - End - #190

Spoiler
    Show

Haha, I guess so... I was thinking if there might be something I missed but heck... its an orphanage, what if a girl accidentally leaned on the wall...

In any case...

using a charge of the mind armor:

(1d20+11)[26]

Ishmael curses under his breath just as he feels the cold clutches of wizardry upon him.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

Whatever the effect was, you throw it off.

You find the door locked, with no obvious locking mechanism besides the sun-shaped depression in the door.

12. - Top - End - #192

Ishmael spends some time checking the sun shaped depression. No matter that there is no actual lock... this is what the lock is.

He tries to figure out how to use it, which includes pushing it in.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

On closer inspection, it appears that the mechanism works by inserting a shape the exact size and shape of the depression in there. That activates a mechanism that will unlock the door. If only you knew of anything sun-shaped that's about that size...

14. - Top - End - #194

Ishmael tries to recall if he saw any sunlike pendants around the place. Given that its an orphanage created by a Pelorite there hopefully will be something like that.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

As you think about it, you realize that it's the same size as a holy symbol and the chief of staff around here seems to be sporting exactly such an object.

16. - Top - End - #196

Ishmael curses.

The man had left the premises which meant he couldnt retrieve it...

Spoiler
    Show

Thats right, right? I think you said he left...

Given this he tries to 'fool' the lock and gain entry without the actual necklase by using anything similar he can find in his tool box and trying to get it open.

Spoiler
    Show

And by that I mean that if its mechanical and not magical in nature then I try to use disable devise/open lock to enter... as in it might be fancy and unconventional but a lock is still a lock...

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    hm... I'm gonna call for a disable device AND an open lock check here. DD to represent getting the pressure plate just right, as that seems the sort of thing that skill does, and open lock to well... open the lock. However, the tools you have are not suitable for this type of lock, so you lose any bonuses to OL from your tools for this check, and you're improvising with your finger, so -2 to the check. Seem fair?

I had INTENDED for this to be a scenario of "gotta buy a holy symbol of Pelor", but your solution makes sense as well. Trying to lay it out logically, taking into account the unique nature of this lock.

18. - Top - End - #198

Spoiler
    Show

Well... its night outside so going to buy stuff is not really an option :D

Plus I have another solution if this doesnt work... rest to regain by use per day and use 'knock' to get in :D

Ishmael examines the lock carefully. He laments that he doesnt have the specific tools for the job but he shakes his head. No way he can slip out, go buy a pendant and return... to much risk.

He goes invisible instead of just hiding, just in case, and focuses on the lock and mechanism. He breathes slowly and goes to work.

Although his tools are now not the best for the job he can still try and work it with his own abilities.

Spoiler
    Show

So disable device:

(1d20+21)[30]

Open lock:

(I guess you mean I lose the +2 for them being masterwork and have a -2 instead. So I have currently +21 which takes a penalty of 4 and goes to 17. Does the fact that they are +5 magical dont count for anything? If it doess add 5 to my result... if not... dont :D )

(1d20+17)[35]

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

You jigger with the mechanism, manage to put even pressure in all the right spots as you press it in, and twist your fingers to fit the shape. You are rewarded with a small gust of air as the door opens.

20. - Top - End - #200

Ishmael gives silent thanks to Kelemvor. It seemed the Judge favored him despite all the things the Pelorites threw at him.

Carefully he enters and closes the door behind him. There was a small chance he could be stuck here but it was still better given the possibilities.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

The other side of the door seems to have a conventional locking mechanism, so you don't have to worry about that.

On the other side of the door, you notice that all the crates you'd found earlier were gone, presumably into the back room you'd heard talk of earlier. One does wonder why a triple-trapped, complex locked, HIDDEN room wasn't good enough...

22. - Top - End - #202

Ismael KNOWS why a triple super special room isnt good enough... cause people like him exist.

Without letting his satisfaction make him sloppy or careless he takes some time to ensure traces of his entry are not easily, or if possible at all, discovered. He cleans the door and the mechanisms and overall tries to ensure everything is as it was.

He then proceeds to search the room and find the back room they mentioned by following the way they were going before he had been almost discovered.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

Even being very meticulous and thorough, all you can find is a hollow spot where there's obviously a room on the other side, but you can't seem to find the door.

24. - Top - End - #204

If there are any small holes or openings Ishmael will consumer one of his last 2 remainings Gaseous form potions and go through it.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

The floor and ceiling seem to be made of packed earth and the walls are mortared stone. You don't find any cracks that seem to penetrate all the way through, though you can't be 100% certain unless you try, as some of them ARE showing signs of age.

26. - Top - End - #206

Given that there is no other option currently, Ishmael indeed tries.

Somehow air must go to that area hence its worth a try.

Spoiler
    Show

I assume I didnt find anything with a take 20 for search right?

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    no, you don't. I'm afraid that you're high enough level now that most things assume you can pass a dc 30+ search no problem. Even if ALL you had were max ranks and no mod, you'd be looking at a 12 skill total, allowing a 32 on taking 20. Throw in a typical 2 int mod, and you're talking close to 35. For those who have NO bonuses to search. Sorry about this, I don't like pulling the "you can't find it" card on you, but anything that's going to be near level-appropriate is gonna be about like this.

Your gaseous form seeps through... and cannot manage to pass through the wall. It does, however, discover a crack that runs along the wall and exxits into an underground chamber somewhere to our left.
    Last edited by planswalker; 2012-08-03 at 10:13 AM.

28. - Top - End - #208

Spoiler
    Show

Understandable. I am pretty much stressed with my skill points considering I am not full rogue but have classes with 2 sp per level and 6 per level rather than full 8 per... plus the skulk stuff which were only hide and ms...

In any case no worries :D

Ishmael the gaseous one follows the cracks trying to gain entry to the location.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

You follow the series of cracks into an underground cavern about 30 feet below the surface. All along the walls, shackles have been set up to accommodate prisoners. At the moment, they're all empty. A narrow tunnel leads upwards.

30. - Top - End - #210

Ishmael takes a note of the gruesome purpose this room may be used and floats up the narrow tunnel.