New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default The Manekaen Dawn (3.5/E6)

[Post removed by author.]
    Last edited by WhatThePhysics; 2013-11-21 at 02:57 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: The Manekaen Dawn (3.5/E6)

I like what I'm reading so far... Keep the good work up!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

The only thing I'm particularly nit-picky about (rules-wise) is the epic feats. An example would be something like Epic Toughness, which would double the hp of most characters with a single feat. Not to mention it can be taken multiple times .

For the fluff, I'm (un)patiently waiting for more. I truly think this is an awesome idea.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Love the illustrations!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Yep, WhatThePhysics will be working together on the setting. It's going to be fun and I hope my ideas will mesh will with the setting.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Post Re: The Manekaen Dawn (3.5/E6)

Hi! I am TheAlchemistGuy, and I am very interested in becoming a contributor to "The Manekaen Dawn" world setting. I am a friend of mad brewers who first told me, and invited me to this awesome setting! So I registered in the forum and here I am posting! I have played 4th edition and Pathfinder, and am activly online. With mad brewer we are togeather creating our own Pathfinder campaign which is coming along smoothly and constantly evolving. I already have a head full of ideas for this awesome setting and would love to participate!

So thats my CV!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

I like what I see so far, although I'm withholding further comment until I see more about the world. I don't think I can help, but if you really like my work and think my ideas are worthwhile I'll see what I can do; although I'm too busy to be a serious contributor.
    Spoiler
    Show

Thank you to Ceika for the signature and avatar.

Read Sons of the Fallen here

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: The Manekaen Dawn (3.5/E6)

Wow! I read the first bit to Sons of the Fallen and was hooked! Really cool world mythology! We will have all our ideas though. More origional.
    Last edited by TheAlchemistGuy; 2012-11-12 at 11:11 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm glad to hear that, but would you take it to my thread? I doubt WhatThePhysics and mad_brewer want it cluttering up theirs.
    Spoiler
    Show

Thank you to Ceika for the signature and avatar.

Read Sons of the Fallen here

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

(WIP) So I was thinking that the lake area of Altaroc could be an area strongly conected to the spitit world. The area would be very primal with few or no people in the region. It is where the spirits and beasts reside, namely the were or lycanthrope clans. There would include werewolf, werebear, werebeast, wereheron, wereeagle and mabe a few others. These are humans decandant from animal spirits, and are technicaly spirits themselves. They are very primal and are protected by an order of Druids/Shamens called "The Order of the Oaken Staff" These are level three and lawfull neutral. They and the clans protect the land from the vampires from the north during the winter and the ferral clans from the south the rest of the time. Only the cheftans of the clans would have swords (credit to mad brewer). Check spoiler

Spoiler
    Show
    ~DC 25 nature/history check, the Druids/Shamens are actually the oldest, fiercest spirits and are conected to the land~

Ideas?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

Spoiler Points:

Spoiler
    Show
    I think your spoiler point is going to be hard to keep hidden; if it's the north american continent, any large scale maps, or certain medium scale maps, will be instantly recognizable. The Great Lakes look like the Great Lakes from any direction, Manhatten is easily recognizable, and Florida is... Florida.

Are you going to say that certain environmental effects have taken place to throw off players? Waters rising due to pollution, shifting climate regions, erosion and tectonic shift? How long after this massive transformation has it been?

That being said, your use of miles makes me think you're an American; as a bonus point to my CV, I'm north of the border and have been east, middle, and west, so if you're unsure of Canadian topography I can probably provide some insight (does not really apply if you're from, say, Alaska, Vermont, or Michigan).

As a random suggestion, maybe make the Greater Golden Horseshoe and other regions bordering Lake Ontario and Eerie a collection of city-states, based on farming the stupidly fertile land and fishing the large freshwater lakes, broken up by the ruins of towers that once touched the sky (CN Tower should be an evil wizard's lair!). You've also got the Thousand Islands to make a really good collection of micronations. They could easily be a modular bit on their own.

I've DM'd several homebrew campaigns of my own creation, and I've never been involved with a community project. I'd be open to contributing on a semi-regular basis (probably in the middle of the night when I need to procrastinate, like now). I'm capable with maps, such that they're intelligent and information full, though rarely that artistic, and can probably send you a sample if you want.

[EDIT 3:34 AM, PST] Removed something I'd left in the main post
    [EDIT 4:09 AM, PST] Modesty check
    Last edited by vither999; 2012-11-13 at 07:11 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Makes sense on the small maps bit. What about highways from current civilization? Considering we still have roman highways, wouldn't most major highways be (in various states of repair) a valid way of moving around?

Well, if you're working on California's Central Valley, and Altaroc is working on the Great Lakes (too slow on that one I guess), I can work on either the Lower Mainland and Seattle Area or Maritime areas: do you have a preference?

I've PM'd you about the sample.

I'm not sure how much I'll be available for chat, and it's probably easier to PM me.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

Guys, I added some stuff on the Titanpad, and I would love your opinion.
    http://manekaendawn.titanpad.com/

EDIT:May contain spoilers. Don't say I didn't warn you
    Last edited by mad_brewer; 2012-11-17 at 12:55 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

Check out the stuff on Altaroc and tell me what you think! lots of new stuff.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

Deity time!
    Erlandor
    Contents:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Erlandor
    Lesser God (Neutral Good)
    Erlandor was a mortal that ascended to godhood after being the first human to master magic and playing his part in an elusive prophecy. Erlandor enjoys teaching fellow magic students some of his tricks and is quite happy in a conversation of any kind. If someone asks for his advice, he is sure to give it, unless it was going to be used in malevolent manner. On occasion, he will walk on the mortal world with his former form (a robed wizard) and travel.

Portfolios:
    Magic, knowledge, teaching

Domains:
    Magic, Knowledge, Protection, Rune

Cleric Training:
    Erlandor's clerics are always on the look out for anyone with a healthy interest, young or old, poor or rich. Those with some potential and a good heart are offered full training and education with no charge, and are taken in to a school or an academy. Graduated students are encouraged to raise an apprentice of their own.

Quests:
    Wizards and clerics of Erlandor are encouraged to break up evil cabals of spellcasters, visit towns and villiages for potential students, and general use and discovery of magic.

Prayers:
    Prayers to Erlandor are relativlely short and to the point. The most common starting phrase "Oh great mentor, bless me with [your request]."

Temples:
    Most of the temples to Erlandor double up as an institution for magic, or are in odd, secluded places hidden in the world. Even non-magician sometimes go there to ask for arcane advise, a divination or a potion.

Rites:
    Erlandor's worshipers usually have a graduation ceromony every year for their students, and they also have ceromonies when a particular artifact is found or a new spell is researched. They may also host a feast if a powerful adventuring mage returns home after a long absence.

Heralds:
    In the rare event that Erlandor needs to meedle in mortal affairs, he sends a celestial human wizard to do his biding. Allies includes bralani eladrin, leonal guardinals, and planetars.

Favored Weapon: Quarterstaff

SPOILER ALERT!!!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Actual character
    Spoiler
    Show
    Merlin

Asteria
    Contents:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Greater Goddess (Lawful Good)
    Asteria has existed since The Forgotten One has divided itself into 4 different concepts, chaos, evil, good and law. Asteria became a sentient being of the 2 later concepts, and thus forward be a deity of all things righteous and fair. She wants the world and its people to be unified under laws that give generous treatment to civilization, and will not tolerate evil beings who would seek to enslave or destroy. As a result, she heavily despises fiends and other enemies of humanity. Asteria promotes chivalry and bravery in all her followers with small blessings and good luck.

Portfolios:
    Honor, cooperation, justice

Domains:
    Community, Glory ,Good, Law, Protection

Cleric Training:
    Asteria's priests are always tending the sick, defending the ones who cannot themselves and doing community service. These actions are not unnoticed by the common people, who then feel compeled to help others as well. This is how Asteria receives most of her followers. The most dedicated and benovolent eventually become clerics, and continue to serve both the deity and the people.

Quests:
    Common quests include crusades against evil, retrival of good magic items, and generally helping others out. Yearly clerics attempt to pass a pilgrimage of some sort, whether spiritual or physical based. Another common ongoing mission that Asteria's priests continue to do is to redeem (willing) evil doers to the light or convert others to their religion.

Prayers:
    Many prayers to Asteria are very symbolic in nature, using items and focuses related to the things asked for. For example, a farmer who wanted a fire in his fields stopped might blow off a flame off a candle during a prayer, or a paladin who seeked redeemtion might destroy a vial of unholy water.

Temples:
    Her temples are located in many places of civilization and order, such as cities and battlements. Inside a typical there is normally a weapon used by a champion of that place, such as longsword of the farmer who sacrificed himself to save his villiage, or an arrow of a tireless hunter of evil.

Rites:
    Holidays and celebrations often revolve around the birthdays of great rulers, the day of a fierce battle won, or simply when someone has done a great good. Most official knightings in good nations are arranged by Asteria's priests.

Heralds:
    If there is a presence of a great evil plaguing the land, Asteria will send an avatar of herself or one of her highest angels. Allies include most archons and angels.

Favored Weapon: Lance

Tanit

Vikramaditya

Orobas

The Forgotten

Maahes

Glasya-Labolas

Shax

Xaphan

More deities to come!

EDIT: We are still looking for more people, if you are interested in joining. Anyone with a creative mind, a practical skill such as mapping or even a number cruncher would be welcome
    Last edited by mad_brewer; 2012-12-10 at 04:32 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

Regions and Nations!

Altaroc (designed by TheAlchemistGuy):

Spoiler
    Show
    more to come, all spelling errors, unfinshed words, random sentances and the like are due to ongoing editing and fast typing- only the location is an actual spoiler, the rest is to condense info

Altaroc

Statistics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    mid West Canada

Geography: dense woodland, vast plains and huge lakes all crammed into one, very primal
    Habitation: one inner settlement of five hundred or so people further in, Roshimian settlers creeping in from the south, the lycanthrope clans, spirits and animals
    Government: tribal/clan structure, organisation of druids called "The Order of the Oaken Staff"
    History: very little notable change aside from a few civil large wars

General:
    The region is very strongly connected to the spirit world and feywild, hence it is very primal. There are few or no people in the area and is inhabited by beasts, animals and spirits, namely the lycanthrope clans. The whole area has unnatural combinations of geography such as great grass planes suddenly giving way to dense forests or hills. This is a result of influence from the spirit world and feywild, this creates their territories.

Order of the Oaken Staff:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Order of the Oaken Staff is collection of druid spirits directly connected to the land. To completely destroy them you must eradicate all the tribes (as each druid watches over and protects a particular tribe), or kill the land. They are very powerful (level 5+ druid), but will not interfere with adventurers unless they threaten the tribes or the land, namely the sacred grounds (see for details). They will allow (with some annoyance) for Roshimian settlers to move in, felling trees for the capital but do not mind overly as the forest, aided by their magic, reclaims in a matter of months, not decades. They will tolerate one or two felled trees further in, but none and no unpermitted intrusion into the Sacred Grounds. If angered they will attack swiftly and mercilessly by using the their magic, the tribes, the forest and its beasts. They see the tribes as their children and allthough they rarely interact directly with the tribes they will appear in the form of a white Bison for the Bison tribe or a Heron flying directly overhead for the Heron tribe, they might appear after a good hunt or during quarrels. The clans see them as their guardians, protectors and fathers. There are seven clan druids and six trapped feral clan druids.

The Clans:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The main inhabitance in the region besides the spirits and animals are the lycanthrope clans. These lawful neutral tribes of shape changers and live in a very basic way, in caves for the Wolf clan and under the stars for the Bison clan, but also in small seasonal tribe villages. They share hunting grounds and teritory, for example, the Heron clans summer fishing area might be the Wolf clans winter hunting ground. They will fight with spears in their humanoid form (bronze swords for the chiefs), or more commonly in their animal form. The clans are separated into two separate groups, the clans of Altaroc and the feral clans just to the south east. The Altaroc clans are constantly at war, weather it be the vampires from the north in winter, wanting "food" or with the feral clans seeking territory to the south.

Clans:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bear: turns into a large grizzly; Bear clan live in small tribal huts and have a set territory, they are strong and fierce, but wise.
    Bison: turns into a minotaur; Bison clan live on the plains as nomads in fur huts or under the stars, they are strong, proud and praise strength
    Eagle: turns into a very large eagle
    Fox: turns into a wolf sized fox
    Heron: turns into very large heron
    Salmon: merfolk
    Wolf: turns into werewolf

The Feral Clans:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The feral clans are very animalistic and violent in nature. They are generally chaotic evil and were banished from Altaroc due to their disregard for the balance of things and were far too aggressive. They were too destructive and had no control. They were then banished and fled to the south, but their druid guardians, now beginning to share the feral tribes point of view, too powerful to be destroyed were trapped in the near core of the sacred grounds (see for details) in a place now called Dark Wood (see for details). They long to reclaim their territory and free their guardians.

Feral Clans:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Black Wolf: turns into werewolf
    Buffalo: turns into minitor
    Crow: turns into a flock of crows
    Jackle: werejackle
    Wolverine: turns into very large wolverine
    Snake: turns into Yuan-ti

Sacred Grounds:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Sacred grounds is the inner most part of Altaroc, it is a completely untouched wilderness, all thick wood with trees as tall and thick as skyscrapers at the core. This is the home of the druids. No one (except with the highest privilege) but the clans are allowed to enter, and the clans treat it as their place of birth, their sanctum and treat it with great respect. If others were to intrude the druids would respond with great aggression and often violence. The clans will often retreat here when times are hard. The Sacred Grounds is the place with the strongest connection to the spirit world and feywild, strange and wonderful beasts roam this area, some the size of mice, others the size of houses. At the very center of the Sacred Grounds is the druids circle, a ring of very large rectangular stones stood on end in a circle, This is where the druid's rituals take place and is their home.

Dark Wood:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dark Wood is a place within the Sacred Grounds where the feral druids are trappd. They were exiled there when they and their clans went wild, a place of great evil that on occasion seeps out in terrible forms. Players know when they are approaching the wood, they become more agitated and have violent outbursts more frequently the closer they get. When they are especially near they start to go mad and extremely violent and all experience a loud, low buzzing in their heads, this is the evil and spirits playing on the mind, whispering horrible things and driving you mad (see Dark Wood Madness). Survivors often describe it as being eaten from within.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dark Wood Madenss:
    Type curse; Save Will DC 17
    Onset when within one thousand feet of Dark Wood Frequency 1/minute
    Effect every round target attacks nearest humanoid chosen by the GM, takes a -4 penalty to intelligence and Wisdom, takes a -2 penalty to all checks

-more to come, all spelling errors, unfinshed words, random sentances and the like are due to ongoing editing and fast typing-

Roshim (designed by mad_brewer):

Spoiler
    Show
    Roshim is a land that is varied, mysterious and civilized, just like it's people, the Roshimians. Blessed with fertile crops, adaptable landscape and luxirious goods, the Roshimians have developed the land to benefit themselves. They are noble, hard-working and deeply philophical, but foreigners call them too reserved, stoic and gullible. The typical Roshimian has a good set of manners, and is happy to honour his ancestors by performing their pre-determined lifestyle set by a caste system. Roshimians are also natural psionics. It is here, in Roshim, where the first sages harnessed the power of the mind, to benefit the society and the people, and to get rid of their enemies.

Roshimians make fine soldiers and mercenaries, their honourable and chivalric nature assures that a Roshimian is a fine ally to have on your side. As such, their specialized fighters are highly prized. Whether it is a two-sworded samurai warrior, a hand-to-hand martial artist or an furious archer, Roshimians are never understimated by their rivals. A hostile battle agains a Roshimian is never a fun one.

Thanks to their climate, Roshim can grow Mulberry trees. This in turn allows the silk worm to make cocoons. The people respect this and make fine silk, whether raw or clothed is of no concern to them. In recent years, Roshim's people has started to export the material to places like Thern and Kannad, making them very wealthy. The newfound wealth has allowed the nation to progress from an agrian culture into one of the greatest civilization in all of Maneka.

Roshim's Caste System
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Psionics
    2. Nobility
    3. Samurai/Monks/Other Millitary
    4. Traders/Merchants
    5. Farmers/Crafters
    6 (unofficial) "The Foreigners"

Ithys (Capital)
    Spoiler
    Show
    LN Large City
    Demographics:
    Government: Psionic Magocracy
    Population: 30,460 (24,063 humans, 2,542 elves, 1,523 half-elves, 914 dwarves, 609 gnomes, 505 halflings, 304 half-orcs)
    Notable NPCs:
    NPC a
    NPC b
    NPC c
    Marketplace:
    GP limit: 100,000
    Amount of GP availaible: 152,300,000 gp

General Statistics
    Spoiler
    Show
    Land Mass
    The population density of Roshim, due to factors such as climate, geography, and political environment, is 45 persons per km^2 .
    Roshim occupies 135,382 km^2 (174 hexes, each 30 km across and roughly km^2 in area). Roughly 64% of this is arable land, or 87,657 km2. The remaining 47,725 km^2 is divided among wilderness, rivers, lakes, and the like.
    Population
    Roshim's 's population is approximately 6,092,190 people.
    121,846 residents are isolated or itinerant.
    5,422,049 residents live in 12,049 villages.
    365,531 residents live in 74 towns.
    152,304 residents live in 13 cities.
    30,460 residents live in 1 big city.
    The average distance between villages is 3 km.
    The average distance between towns is 43 km.
    The average distance between cities (including big cities) is 98 km.
    Roshim supports 0 Universities.
    Roshim supports 13,402,818 head of livestock:
    9,113,916 fowl (e.g. chickens, geese, ducks).
    4,288,902 dairy and meat animals (e.g. cows, goats, pigs, sheep).

Castles and Fortifications
    The inhabitants of have been building castles for the last 300 years.
    There are approximately 143 standing fortifications in .
    122 castles are in active use.
    21 castles are ruined or abandoned.
    107 castles are located in settled areas.
    36 castles are located in remote areas, unsettled areas, or wilderness.
    Class Demographics
    Non-Player- 90%
    Player- 10%
    GDP: 7*52*Population*Tax Rate %. (2,217,557,160 GP.)
    15% tax rate nets 332,633,674 gp
    GP.
    (All numbers are approximate, particularly where ruins and wilderness are concerned.)

Thern (designed by WhatThePhysics):
    Spoiler
    Show

Arguably the most civilized in Maneka, the Thernai invited people of all diversities after the revelation. Originally a small group of survivors farming and hunting around great fertile lands, the Thernai have then expanded hugely in population thanks to the land. Over time, the farmers and commoners established themselves as the first true nation after the revelation. The government allowed for a bunch of people to work together, using different skills of warfare to carve out their cities and towns out of a monster-infested wilderness. As a result, Thern has developed a very powerful millitary and has the highest levels of magitech in the land.

Thern, as a nation, is proud, sometimes to the point of arrogance. But they do have to bite to back up their words. With a unique millitary strategy of combining sword, sorcery, siege, cavalry and even guns, Thern has made many vassals states of the surronding lands. The Thernai ,as a whole, are very varied in culture and looks, as a result of trade and contact with other places. Unfortunately, not all of the cultures in Thern are espicially benevolent...

Still, Thern is a safehaven for civilization, a pinacle of light in an otherwise grim world. As long as Thern stands, so will the people of Maneka against the incoming darkness that plagues the land...

General Statistics
    Spoiler
    Show
    Land Area- 45,000 Miles^2
    Population Density- 100 People/Mile^2

NPC Levels
    1st- 4,050,000
    2nd- 405,000
    3rd- 40,500
    4th- 4,050
    5th- 405
    6th- 45
    Total- 4,500,000 People

Civilized Locales
    Thorps- 5,672
    Hamlets- 2,166
    Villages- 1,339
    Small Towns- 35
    Large Towns- 21
    Small Cities- 6
    Large Cities- 4
    Metropolises- 1

Castles
    Active- 93
    Abandoned- 16
    Settled- 82
    Unsettled- 27
    Total- 109

======National Production======
    Tax Revenue- 409,500,000 GP/Year
    Military Funds- 10,237,500 GP/Year (2.5%)

======Government Organization (WIP)======
    1 Representative for every 10,000 adult citizens, giving 450 Representatives.

Kannad (designed by vither999):
    The Southern Dwarven Kingdoms
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Southern Dwarven Kingdoms are six kingdoms based in the Kannad region, just north of the Gnome City States of the Horseshoe. Demographically they are about half dwarven, a quarter human and gnome, and another quarter halfling, cross-breed, and elf.

In addition to these surface kingdoms there also exists an extensive underground series of caverns, roughly two miles under the surface. These caverns extend between all the kingdoms; there are known paths between them. However, they are neither mapped nor guarded, and are often considered too dangerous for serious travel.

The kingdoms focus primarily on exporting minerals. Sunnery primarly produces nickel, crystal, deep crystal, and mithral. Tem, Norada, and Valador sit on top of large gold and adamantine deposits. Wa primarily mines iron, and provides the steel the rest of the kingdoms rely upon. Soomar is the only exception to the mining rule: it primarily produces gunpowder and food, being the only major farming community.

These exports travel south to the Gnomish City States of the Horseshoe; there they are either sent out to Roshim or further across to the Thern. Coming back along this trade route are large supplies of grain and fruit from Thern, and textiles and other luxury goods from Roshim.

These imports travel into the Southern Dwarven Kingdoms through the Gnomish City States, up to either Sunnery or Soomar. From here they are distributed to Wa, Tem, Norada, and Valador, with additional supplies moving up to the Northern Dwarven Kingdoms.

The kingdoms are all relatively powerful per population compared to other post-change kingdoms, primarily because of the mineral wealth of the region; however, their inability to farm and provide food on a large scale prevent them from growing signi cantly more powerful. The most powerful of them is the Kingdom of Sunnery.

Culture
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Southern Dwarven Kingdoms have three main festivals: the Festival of Selection in December, the Festival of Spring in February, and the Festival of Summer in July. All the festivals are brightly colored a airs: large silk tapestries hanging from buildings, owers strewn across the streets, and lots of drinking and dancing.

In addition to these festivals, a well-known past-time of the inhabitants is known as Porketta Bingo. This game is played identically to normal Bingo, however when a player wins, everyone chants "Por-ket-tah" and the player wins several pounds of pork. Needless to say, a lot of drinking is involved.

EDIT: Go ahead and post, this is just a post that will be moved to the main categories when WhatThePhysics returns.
    Last edited by mad_brewer; 2012-12-10 at 05:36 PM.