New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 37 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

Who else is dying to see this? Everything I read about it sounds awesome! Baldur's Gate with BG2 improvements, a new character, a new kit, new quests! I'm a bit afraid about improving the Infinity Engine, because it's perfect already.
    I actually believe this will manage to be better than the original.
    How about you guys?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

It does look good.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I really, desperately want it to be great. I am frustrated, however, that I don't see any news on the page or any information, really. It's just a handful of headlines. I don't even know when it's coming out, much less seen screens of the improved graphics.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    I really, desperately want it to be great. I am frustrated, however, that I don't see any news on the page or any information, really. It's just a handful of headlines. I don't even know when it's coming out, much less seen screens of the improved graphics.
    They have announced a new writer, though.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Whoa, just now hearing about this, hope it's awesome.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    I'm a bit afraid about improving the Infinity Engine, because it's perfect already.
    I would almost agree with you on this point. The Infinity Engine is really good, especially for a party-based games with a strong real time* combat focus like the two main series on the engine.
    But there are points to improve. Recently I thought about how awesome an Ultima 7 remake on the Infinity Engine could be. But on a second thought, one of the strongest points of the Ultima 7 engine was the interactiveness of the environment and this made up a major part of the gameplay and the enjoyment.
    The environment in the Infinity Engine is almost non-interactive, and its really hard to implement anything more than the most basic features (like doors). No scratch that, even implementing the basics is a real headache, but more on that later. Something like Ultima 7 is outright impossible on the Infinity Engine.
    Now, the original Infinity Engine games did not need an interactive environment because those games were build around the strengths of the engine and not its weaknesses.

The second area for improvement is related to the first: map building.
    In short: its a chore. Even the most basic features like the difference between walkable and blocked parts of the map have to be painstakingly added by hand.

A third point would be to make the engine more open ended. By that I mean ways to break the boundaries imposed by the original games. For example: the only reason the party size has a hard limit of 6 is that only as much protraits could be displayed on the native resolutions. But since BGE will support higher resolutions this is no longer the case.
    Or making changes to the ruleset. I'm not saying this because I think the AD&D rule set sucks (its fine the way it is). But it would be immensely helpful to change the rules when creating a non-D&D based mod.

Yes, all those points have almost no relevance to the Baldur's Gate games. But for modding, these points are vital. The Infinity Engine already is highly moddable, but there is a reason why you don't see many Total Conversions.
    But since higher mod support was one of the goals for BGE, one can hope

*I know the game is internally structured in turns, but AD&D's timestamp approach made it almost real-time like, and on the PC is all more fluent so there is no reason not to call it real-time combat.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    This is pretty much how I feel about it as well. There's been remarkably little information on it, particularly in regards to the changes to characters and dialogue other than there probably will be some.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Interestingly, there have been hints at a BG3 maybe getting made in the future now.

Oh. My. God (of Murder).

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bluntpencil View Post
    Interestingly, there have been hints at a BG3 maybe getting made in the future now.

Oh. My. God (of Murder).
    BG2 ToB finished the storyline. I'm not ecstatic about BG3 because it sounds like it would be either completely unrelated to the previous games or would find some way to continue the BG storyline which is resolved.

Unless you make BG3 a remake of BG2, with the protagonist losing his hand, transplanting a hand of Vecna onto the stub with a Carsomyr* strapped onto it, and then after the ToB storyline is resolved he gets transported into Fallout world for Baldur's Gate 4 and needs to find the Guardian of Forever to get back. But before he does so he has to help fight off a supermutant invasion led by his bad clone.

*Carsomyr is overrated actually, but eh...
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Mordekaiser for president.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winthur View Post
    BG2 ToB finished the storyline. I'm not ecstatic about BG3 because it sounds like it would be either completely unrelated to the previous games or would find some way to continue the BG storyline which is resolved.

Unless you make BG3 a remake of BG2, with the protagonist losing his hand, transplanting a hand of Vecna onto the stub with a Carsomyr* strapped onto it, and then after the ToB storyline is resolved he gets transported into Fallout world for Baldur's Gate 4 and needs to find the Guardian of Forever to get back. But before he does so he has to help fight off a supermutant invasion led by his bad clone.

I think they could re-do ToB into BG3 instead. It was somewhat lacking compared to the main campaign in BG2.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

On hit dispel. Magic Resistance. Nuff said.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    And can be upgraded by Cespenar too!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

And can be upgraded by Cespenar too!
    Aye aye.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

The on hit dispel is bugged in some versions of the game including mine and the rest of the buffs aren't so great. Also, Cespenar's upgrade in ToB pretty much only makes the weapon +6, which isn't that huge of a deal.

My weapon of choice on a Paladin is an upgraded Purifier. From +4 to +5 is actually more significant than +5 to +6, plus it can be dual-wielded with another weapon such as Foebane, which is pretty awesome.

I mean, Carsomyr is powerful, just not godlike tier.
    Last edited by Winthur; 2012-06-15 at 08:54 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Carsomyr's main flaw is that Keldorn and the inquisitor kits exist. Since he can dispel far more effectively than the sword does, it's (albeit powerful) main feature is effectively nullified..

Give me a full upgraded flail of the ages anyday..
    Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Fantastic avatar created by artist extraordinaire, Kwarkpudding

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

The on hit dispel is bugged in some versions of the game including mine and the rest of the buffs aren't so great. Also, Cespenar's upgrade in ToB pretty much only makes the weapon +6, which isn't that huge of a deal.

My weapon of choice on a Paladin is an upgraded Purifier. From +4 to +5 is actually more significant than +5 to +6, plus it can be dual-wielded with another weapon such as Foebane, which is pretty awesome.

I mean, Carsomyr is powerful, just not godlike tier.
    50% Magic Resistance is a great buff in my book, but YMMV. And dual wielding isn't as useful, as it only grants one extra attack. Main use of dual wielding is with stuff like Crom Faeyr, to stack up buffs, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by blueblade View Post
    Carsomyr's main flaw is that Keldorn and the inquisitor kits exist. Since he can dispel far more effectively than the sword does, it's (albeit powerful) main feature is effectively nullified..

Give me a full upgraded flail of the ages anyday..
    Now that is a better argument. Though on-hit dispel is a good thing, a level 40+ dispel by an Inquisitor is much, much better. Almost a game-breaker, even. And of course, I'd take the Flail +6 as well, but that's really an extreme example.

Plus, the Flail belongs to Anomen in most of my games.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

If you're up against a dragon, Carsomyr is your best friend. Any other time, it's still extremely good. It's usually the best weapon in my arsenal when I find it, and I keep it in one of Keldorn's quick weapon slots throughout the rest of the game for those situations that call for it.

Anyway, I've heard very little about this project, but it's exciting news.
    Delightfully abrasive in more ways than one
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Mango:you sick, twisted bastard <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

Mango is a dastardly irate unhinged scientist, for realz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Evil's awesome because of the art.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

50% Magic Resistance is a great buff in my book, but YMMV. And dual wielding isn't as useful, as it only grants one extra attack. Main use of dual wielding is with stuff like Crom Faeyr, to stack up buffs, in my opinion.
    Well, dual wielding is probably the best way to stack up damage. Having a dedicated dual wielding Paladin allows you some sweet combos. Purifier gives 30% magic resistance, so it's viable as an off-hand weapon as well, plus it has bonus attack against Chaotic Evils. Foebane in main hand has SO many +dmg modifiers it's worth it (Larloch's Minor Drain, when it stacks up, is not ignorable), it also gives you saving throws and it makes clearing Watcher's Keep (and the Demogorgon fight) a breeze with its bonuses. Oh, and it also has Dispel Magic castable from it.

Carsomyr however is still a strong item especially since Firkraag comes earlier than the ToB weapons, I just don't think it's quite as effective for late game.

And nothing forbids you from comboing Purifier with Angurvadal or Crom Faeyr or any other item.
    Last edited by Winthur; 2012-06-15 at 09:33 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

I don't tend to keep Keldorn in my party, since I like having Viconia. And I play a Cavalier Paladin, so I rock Carsomyr.

True, Flail of Ages is better, but I give that to Anomen or Minsc. Minsc packing the Flail of Ages in his main hand and Crom Faeyr in the other is badass.

How is Purifier with a shield? Sword and board Pallies are cool, too, I reckons.
    Last edited by bluntpencil; 2012-06-15 at 09:35 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

I don't tend to keep Keldorn in my party, since I like having Viconia.
    If you play neutral or have decent charisma (or one of the mods that keeps your party from abandoning you/killing each other), you can keep both. The interactions between those two are a lot of fun. And, as has been said, Keldorn's dispel is ridiculously good.
    Delightfully abrasive in more ways than one
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Mango:you sick, twisted bastard <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

Mango is a dastardly irate unhinged scientist, for realz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Evil's awesome because of the art.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

How is Purifier with a shield? Sword and board Pallies are cool, too, I reckons.
    Not really a huge fan of sword & board for the main damage dealers, they just don't provide that much utility IMHO, but some of them are decent early game, like Shield of Harmony.

And now we should all play BG online and make a humongous thread that will hype up playing BG online until we figure it's impossible to play.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't tend to keep Keldorn in my party, since I like having Viconia. And I play a Cavalier Paladin, so I rock Carsomyr.
    I like both Cavaliers as well as inquisitors, but in my opinion, Cavalier makes for a better solo game. I tried one and had a pretty sweet time. In my experience, limited healing in form of spells and lay on hands, combined with other spells and turn undead has an edge over dispel magic. I remember blowing most liches right out. Not sure if it works with Kangaxx(certainly not with his demilich form), but most of the others can be killed right away, since turn undead passes all forms of magic protection.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mangosta71 View Post
    If you play neutral or have decent charisma (or one of the mods that keeps your party from abandoning you/killing each other), you can keep both. The interactions between those two are a lot of fun. And, as has been said, Keldorn's dispel is ridiculously good.
    That's weird. I had a Charisma of 18, and they still fought.

Abandoning the party is why I hate Aerie.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

That's weird. I had a Charisma of 18, and they still fought.

Abandoning the party is why I hate Aerie.
    As was said, it is a mod. It doesn't stop the conflicts from happening, but it does allow you to convince them to simmer down if you have the charisma.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Colossus in the Playground

Actually, mangosta said "or."

There is a common, incorrect belief that Charisma in some way (non-mod) influences NPC conflicts. It does not, though it can keep characters in the party when they would otherwise leave due to Reputation.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

I actually tried a "bro-team" once with mainchar as a Cavalier with Purifier, Keldorn with Carsomyr, and Anomen with Flail of Ages. The Cavalier was a pretty good tank, and a good shield can add some good resistances/immunities. I'd recommend it.

On an unrelated note, nothing is funnier than Anomen making a lich explode by Turn Undead.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Colossus in the Playground

Oh, I'd say Aerie doing so would qualify.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

I'm going to have to agree with most people here about the "Enchanced Edition". Sure, it sounds very nice but they've been very stingy with actual information about how it's going to look like. If it's good, I might renew my efforts to create a duelist-style Fighter kit.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

Haer'Dalis challenging the protagonist for a duel because of Aerie is absolutely badass.

Just wanted to say that.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Oh, I'd say Aerie doing so would qualify.
    Ah, but with Anomen and his huge ego, I'd think it more ironic.

Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Haer'Dalis challenging the protagonist for a duel because of Aerie is absolutely badass.

Just wanted to say that.
    Haer'dalis is an awesome character. Pity that he sucks so much in combat.