New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

So . . . I'm wondering why there has been absolutely no news for a while now. The latest update at the baldursgate.com site is from May 10th.

Has someone with more internet-fu than me heard something?
    "Is this 'cause I killed the hippie? Is that even illegal?"

2. - Top - End - #92

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jeivar View Post
    So . . . I'm wondering why there has been absolutely no news for a while now. The latest update at the baldursgate.com site is from May 10th.

Has someone with more internet-fu than me heard something?
    Anyone? Am I the only one excited about this?
    "Is this 'cause I killed the hippie? Is that even illegal?"

3. - Top - End - #93

I am not really excited but the lack of news seemed interesting enough to check.

There's "news" on Twitter, for example here https://twitter.com/#!/TrentOster

There's mention of DLC

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

There are apparently plans to include some new NPCs as DLC. Beyond that, things are still pretty quiet.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Silver View Post
    There are apparently plans to include some new NPCs as DLC. Beyond that, things are still pretty quiet.

Deekin?

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jeivar View Post
    Anyone? Am I the only one excited about this?
    No, but I don't know any more than you do.

In other news, I went through and played the series start to finish in fall 2009. The idea was, this is my last time through, I'm going to play the perfect character for me, I'm going to play it right, and I'm going to do everything, and I did, and it was great. NOW they're bringing it back with more content? It's been about three years...is that long enough for a complete rerun?

I played a male elf fighter/mage/thief. Stats started as 18/93, 19, 7, 18, 13, 13 (not too sure about charisma). Apparently a 7 con is about the same as a 10 in 3rd edition. Used longswords and longbows, natch. I hate not being able to use an item that I have, and I hate not having the ability to do something. The thief skills are a bit slow to pick up, but with items you're usually good enough (until ToB). You also level up extremely slowly at the start, but it's worth it later on.

I'm tempted to play the same thing again, but I still haven't decided. I think the game assumes a male paladin, it might be fun to give that a shot. I really like that first portrait.

I can't remember who exactly I used besides the people I usually use, but this time I plan on using Kivan this time, because I've never used him before due to his less-than-Coran's stats. I'm also going to allow Eldoth into my party until I get Skie, then murder him when she's out of the room (I think a 19str longsword backstab oughta chunk him). I've never used either of them, either. I'll probably use any new npcs, just to experience them.
    Spoiler: Ironcage Keep
    Show
    Initiative:

- Leo
    - Enemies
    - Frith (Light, 92 rounds), Obergrym (rage 5 rounds, 14/17 hp), Melrik - CURRENT
    - Enemies
    - Jade
    - Enemies

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Seharvepernfan View Post
    No, but I don't know any more than you do.

In other news, I went through and played the series start to finish in fall 2009. The idea was, this is my last time through, I'm going to play the perfect character for me, I'm going to play it right, and I'm going to do everything, and I did, and it was great. NOW they're bringing it back with more content? It's been about three years...is that long enough for a complete rerun?

I played a male elf fighter/mage/thief. Stats started as 18/93, 19, 7, 18, 13, 13 (not too sure about charisma). Apparently a 7 con is about the same as a 10 in 3rd edition. Used longswords and longbows, natch. I hate not being able to use an item that I have, and I hate not having the ability to do something. The thief skills are a bit slow to pick up, but with items you're usually good enough (until ToB). You also level up extremely slowly at the start, but it's worth it later on.

I'm tempted to play the same thing again, but I still haven't decided. I think the game assumes a male paladin, it might be fun to give that a shot. I really like that first portrait.

I can't remember who exactly I used besides the people I usually use, but this time I plan on using Kivan this time, because I've never used him before due to his less-than-Coran's stats. I'm also going to allow Eldoth into my party until I get Skie, then murder him when she's out of the room (I think a 19str longsword backstab oughta chunk him). I've never used either of them, either. I'll probably use any new npcs, just to experience them.
    Kivan is a solid ally and a solid character, especially in a Tutu or Trilogy game and unquestionably so if you give him the Archer kit for the Rangers. He's not that interesting a character, just a good man on a roaring rampage of revenge - the source of good movies, but not fascinating sidekicks.

Curse you, Seharvepernfan. Curse you for bringing up the concept of a new run of the old game. Do you know how many hours you have just killed of mine? Who do I play? Calemyr, the fighter/thief? Scion, the monk? Ardgein, the axe mage? Who do I take along this time? CRAAAAAP! Any particularly interesting NPC mods in the last couple years?

And Jeivar? No, you're not alone. The silence is driving me nuts. BG2 is one of my happiest memories of college (all-night LAN parties in the computer lab, good times), so I really hope they do it right.

But we see no evidence anywhere of how they're changing it, if they're keeping the old ham-rich, improbably russian accents, and such. The only screens I've ever seen used screenshots of the original game. I've got absolutely nothing and it's really bothering me.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

For those who didn't catch it the twitter account linked up-thread just confirmed that BGEE will be released before end of the summer.
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

9. - Top - End - #99
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    Kivan is a solid ally and a solid character, especially in a Tutu or Trilogy game and unquestionably so if you give him the Archer kit for the Rangers. He's not that interesting a character, just a good man on a roaring rampage of revenge - the source of good movies, but not fascinating sidekicks.
    You left out "constantly stoned" ("Why are we in this dungeon, I ask repeatedly with a gratuitous dig at dwarves." "That was a noble deed. I am not going to clarify which deed I mean. It may have been hours or days ago, and I may have already said that a dozen times."), "randomly insulting" ("To compliment one of my companions, I will insult all the others!"), and "whiny."

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

To be fair though, many of the Baldur's Gate 1 NPCs were a little... out there.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    To be fair though, many of the Baldur's Gate 1 NPCs were a little... out there.
    Yeah. The writing for BG2 was much better where NPCs were concerned, and BG2 didn't have completely useless throwaway characters like Tiax and Quayle (a cleric with 10 wisdom? seriously?). That's one of the things I really liked about Tutu/Trilogy - the BG1NPC project, which turned most of their nonsense into BG2 style banters and added things like romances (I thought Dynaheir's was excellent). That mod made BG1 enjoyable for me, because it really wasn't in the original form.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Mods certainly help, yes. I'm not sure which ones I used when I last played Baldur's Gate Trilogy - which was about a year ago, I think - but I certainly did use some. There was one that moves Alora to Gullykin, so she's a little bit more practical to recruit... it was a part of one of the big mods, I think. If I were to make a party with Safana - like I once did in vanilla BG1 - I'd also look for a mod that moves her, since otherwise she's found in the middle of nowhere.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Silver View Post
    Solaufein, in SoA might be cool.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by bluntpencil View Post
    Solaufein, in SoA might be cool.
    I hope not. I really didn't like that mod. Where it wasn't dull it was overdone, where it wasn't overdone it reeked of Sue. Viconia was a decent dark elf companion, but I don't want a setting where Nale's comment that all drow are now chaotic good rebels to be true. There are so many more interesting mNPCs to go after. Kelsey being an obvious one in my book, and Keto was promising, just never extended into ToB.

If there were two NPC mods I'd want implemented, though, it'd probably be d'Arnise Romance and the non-romantic half of the Imoen Romance mod, because I really think both of them could have really been great with some more substance. Imoen is always great, of course, but her lack of banters in anything before ToB is kinda sad, and even that is bugged.

Nalia always struck me as an ideal counter to the vanilla romance options, if only because she was a non-elven, non-divine caster. She also had a great deal less in the way of emotional baggage, surprisingly for someone who only recently saw her own father and most of the castle staff killed. She's more or less my head-cannon choice for the love interest, if only they'd ever add ToB content to it...
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Banned

I hope not. I really didn't like that mod.
    If they add Solaufein as a character, I doubt he'd be anywhere similar to the mod.
    Solaufein the NPC is not even Chaotic Good like that dude in the mod - he's Lawful Neutral.

I'd really like to have Solaufein as a possible NPC. He is an interesting character and a different twist on drow. The only other character like him that I know is Ryld Argith and he is the most awesome character in all of his series.
    Last edited by ThiagoMartell; 2012-07-12 at 02:33 PM.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground

I hope not. I really didn't like that mod. Where it wasn't dull it was overdone, where it wasn't overdone it reeked of Sue. Viconia was a decent dark elf companion, but I don't want a setting where Nale's comment that all drow are now chaotic good rebels to be true. There are so many more interesting mNPCs to go after. Kelsey being an obvious one in my book, and Keto was promising, just never extended into ToB.

If there were two NPC mods I'd want implemented, though, it'd probably be d'Arnise Romance and the non-romantic half of the Imoen Romance mod, because I really think both of them could have really been great with some more substance. Imoen is always great, of course, but her lack of banters in anything before ToB is kinda sad, and even that is bugged.

Nalia always struck me as an ideal counter to the vanilla romance options, if only because she was a non-elven, non-divine caster. She also had a great deal less in the way of emotional baggage, surprisingly for someone who only recently saw her own father and most of the castle staff killed. She's more or less my head-cannon choice for the love interest, if only they'd ever add ToB content to it...
    I didn't mean the mod, I meant properly developed.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    You left out "constantly stoned" ("Why are we in this dungeon, I ask repeatedly with a gratuitous dig at dwarves." "That was a noble deed. I am not going to clarify which deed I mean. It may have been hours or days ago, and I may have already said that a dozen times."), "randomly insulting" ("To compliment one of my companions, I will insult all the others!"), and "whiny."
    In Kivan's defense, he's pretty damn good at killing, and much less obnoxious than one of Bioware's later whinny-companions cough*Carth*cough.
    "How're we doing?"
    "The dwarf's on fire."
    "So as bad as usual, huh?"

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

If they do not add the Xan BG2 mod to BG2EE I will burn their houses down in outrage. It may be the greatest NPC mod for BG2, though Keto, Kelsey, Fade, Angelo BG2, and perhaps Varshoon are all worth inclusion as well.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by bluntpencil View Post
    I didn't mean the mod, I meant properly developed.
    You... you mean... properly developed? Okay, I take it back, that would be kinda cool. By the end of your time in the Underdark, Sol is an exile who has already admitted to you that he is secretly devoted to a generally pleasant deity.

He could have indeed been made into something interesting, if he were written as a proper ensemble character and not as a second main character. Yeah, I take it back, that could be good, although he'd be a rather late addition.

Still, I'd rather they flesh out some of the more rushed characters and include dropped content like Haer'dalis and Aerie. If they can do both, of course, sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    If they do not add the Xan BG2 mod to BG2EE I will burn their houses down in outrage. It may be the greatest NPC mod for BG2, though Keto, Kelsey, Fade, Angelo BG2, and perhaps Varshoon are all worth inclusion as well.
    Never tried Xan... Is he really that good? Maybe he'll have to be my new 6th. Does he have ToB content?
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2012-07-12 at 03:16 PM.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Never tried Xan... Is he really that good? Maybe he'll have to be my new 6th. Does he have ToB content?
    He is pretty solid if you don't romance him, and unbelievable if you do. Worth playing a female character for his romance alone (there's three or four romance paths, all of which are awesome and highly detailed).

He is voice acted (well), has scads and scads of content, never Sue's, is well-written, and has ToB content that varies based on your romance path with him. It's... it's really amazing. I can't suggest it enough.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

I might just be making crazed wishes without any grounding in reality, but I would declare undying allegiance to Bioware forever if they come up with a Mazzy Fentan Romance option.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

22. - Top - End - #112
    Troll in the Playground

He is voice acted (well), has scads and scads of content, never Sue's, is well-written, and has ToB content that varies based on your romance path with him. It's... it's really amazing. I can't suggest it enough.
    What good is a mage if I can't spam Magic Missiles D:

(Screw Fireball, Exploding Skull all the way)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Mordekaiser for president.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winthur View Post
    What good is a mage if I can't spam Magic Missiles D:

(Screw Fireball, Exploding Skull all the way)
    Haha the mod can fix that too! Ever wanted Xan to be a normal Mage, a Wild Mage, or a Fighter/Mage? Xan BG2 has got ya covered!

Also, yeah, Skull Trap is amazing. Big love to Skull Trap.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

Haha the mod can fix that too! Ever wanted Xan to be a normal Mage, a Wild Mage, or a Fighter/Mage? Xan BG2 has got ya covered!
    Dude, playing D&D 3.5 with casual friends who only played Baldur's Gate is so funny when they look at your list of spells and are like "Color Spray?? Sleep?? Where's Magic Missile?????"

Also, I'd prefer to keep it pure anyway. Any other great Evocation spells that get banned along Magic Missile? Maybe I'll pick Xan up for my next playthrough (together with Edwin, for instance)
    Last edited by Winthur; 2012-07-12 at 10:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Mordekaiser for president.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Troll in the Playground

Dude, playing D&D 3.5 with casual friends who only played Baldur's Gate is so funny when they look at your list of spells and are like "Color Spray?? Sleep?? Where's Magic Missile?????"
    Don't forget Grease. Completely useless in cRPGs, great in tabletop.
    Delightfully abrasive in more ways than one
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Mango:you sick, twisted bastard <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

Mango is a dastardly irate unhinged scientist, for realz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Evil's awesome because of the art.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mangosta71 View Post
    Don't forget Grease. Completely useless in cRPGs, great in tabletop.
    That's more a matter of AD&D vs 3.5 than cRPG vs tabletop

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

Been there. I still prepare MM 1/day on my 3.5 mages. Gotta show some respect for the heavy classics!

Also, I'd prefer to keep it pure anyway. Any other great Evocation spells that get banned along Magic Missile? Maybe I'll pick Xan up for my next playthrough (together with Edwin, for instance)
    One moment. Let me check.

*fires up ShadowKeeper*

The spells I care about that you lose by dropping Evocation include the following:
    -Chromatic Orb (ever since I one-shot the Shadow Dragon with this spell I always keep one on hand)
    -Magic Missile (herpderpamazing)
    -Web (this one hurts to lose, IMO)
    -Lightning Bolt (you can replace Fireball with Skull Trap easily enough, but the Bolt is tougher to replace due to nothing else duplicating the ricochet effect)
    -Ice Storm (eh, it's a decent spell but not too rough to lose)
    -Cloudkill (not great later on, but good in the early stages of BG2 and an ABSOLUTE house in BG1)
    -Sunfire (sad for Fighter/Mages who like being trolls)
    -Chain Lightning (a personal favorite, but not really that amazing)
    -Death Fog (see above)
    -Delayed Blast Fireball (this one is rough to lose, stacking these is just too fun)
    -Mordenkainen's Sword (damn, I forgot this was Evoc, it huuuuuurts to lose the Sword)
    -Every Sequencer spell (also, a really bad set of things to lose)
    -The Bigby's Hand spells (I kinda like 'em, but they're meh)
    -Meteor Swarm (a decent AoE, but Horrid Wilting is better)
    -Wish (by technicality, Wish is an Invoc/Evoc spell as well as a Conj spell. I don't recall if banning Evoc means you lose Wish as well, but if so, there's that to consider)

Overall, the loss of some seriously powerful spells (Sword, Sequencers, MM) makes me wary to drop the school. You can probably get away with it, but I'd advise against having no access to Evoc in your party.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

After looking at the Forgotten Realms wiki to see all these characters you keep mentioning, I realize I must have missed out on over half the game! So many NPCs I never heard of, used and in most cases never even met! (Though, some were modded characters, and I still don't think I have ever installed a mod on ANY game myself.)

This is a MUST BUY.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Discord: Spacecamp-Logic-Yako
    Former Avatar by Ceika, which I have long since lost a copy of.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Colossus in the Playground

-Meteor Swarm (a decent AoE, but Horrid Wilting is better)
    More to the point, by the time you can cast it, you can also cast Dragon's Breath or Comet with the same slots.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

Hm, the Xan mod does look pretty good. If my Fighter of an as of yet unnamed modded kit ends up Lawful Neutral rather than Lawful Evil, maybe I'll consider installing it and recruiting him.
    As for Solaufein, I'm not sure how well-written he is but he'd suffer from the same problem as Imoen - he appears late in the game when you already have a complete party. So if you wanted to recruit him, you'd probably have to leave one of your companions in the Underdark, unless the mod addresses it somehow.